Rahon

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Rahon

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Granted permission to contact other schools. Roster balance wins! The team will not.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Re: Rahon

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:39 pm

See ya later. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby Bender on Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Sad state of affairs when a guy like this was probably their third best player, he can be a good glue guy for a winning team, but he can't be the third best player in a power conference.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm

BC basketball fever, catch it! :screamyeagle
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:50 pm

good job not sounding like a bunch of bitter pricks, guys. gotta hope he stays.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:17 pm

I believe this means Hanlan is staying.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I saw this coming the second Donahue was fired.

I will admit I was wrong if he somehow still stays, but I have it on good information that he is gone and was planning to leave even before Christian was hired.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm

This is such a Catch-22 and I don't understand the logic at all. What does Rahon want? To be closer to home? Fine. A different system/coach? Ok, I get it. But to have Hanlan's decision impact his decision? Makes no sense.

Rahon has started the past 2 years and was captain this past year. I think we can agree he is (was) the 3rd best player behind Hanlan and Anderson, and lined up to be the 2nd best if Hanlan stays. Does he want to be a top-3 player on a major conference team? BC is realistically one of his only opportunities to accomplish that. Is he leaving to be "the guy" at a mid-major? Or a 6/7 guy on a tourney team?

If Hanlan stays, Rahon stays: Rahon is the #2 guy at BC.
If Hanlan goes, Rahon stays: Rahon is the #1 guy at BC.

Big freaking deal. If you don't want to play with top talent, you aren't ever going to be top talent.

Never understood the perspective of guys (Travis Jorgensen who went to GT comes to mind) who pick a school that offers them immediately playing time. If you can play, you can play. End of story. Just makes you look like you're scared of competition. You need that competition to raise the team's performance. Otherwise you go 8-24 and the coach gets fired and you start all over again.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:This is such a Catch-22 and I don't understand the logic at all. What does Rahon want? To be closer to home? Fine. A different system/coach? Ok, I get it. But to have Hanlan's decision impact his decision? Makes no sense.

Rahon has started the past 2 years and was captain this past year. I think we can agree he is (was) the 3rd best player behind Hanlan and Anderson, and lined up to be the 2nd best if Hanlan stays. Does he want to be a top-3 player on a major conference team? BC is realistically one of his only opportunities to accomplish that. Is he leaving to be "the guy" at a mid-major? Or a 6/7 guy on a tourney team?

If Hanlan stays, Rahon stays: Rahon is the #2 guy at BC.
If Hanlan goes, Rahon stays: Rahon is the #1 guy at BC.

Big freaking deal. If you don't want to play with top talent, you aren't ever going to be top talent.

Never understood the perspective of guys (Travis Jorgensen who went to GT comes to mind) who pick a school that offers them immediately playing time. If you can play, you can play. End of story. Just makes you look like you're scared of competition. You need that competition to raise the team's performance. Otherwise you go 8-24 and the coach gets fired and you start all over again.

Same thought process applies to Olivier. Based on post above about Rahon planning to leave anyways, why would that impact Olivier's decision, other than the fact that now the team has been raped of talent and he doesn't want to fly solo on a shitty team again (which I actually understand)?
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:35 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:good job not sounding like a bunch of bitter pricks, guys. gotta hope he stays.

Are we not supposed to be bitter? Are we supposed be appreciative of these guys?

I mean seriously we've been nothing short of horrid with these guys on the team. I certainly appreciate the idea that college athletics is not easy. But to put it bluntly, I don't give a damn. They are atrocious on the basketball court. I'm sure they are all good people, but I'd like to move on from all these guys. Start over.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm

So if both leave, is Sam Donohue the starting PG?

Next year will be a good time
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:40 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:good job not sounding like a bunch of bitter pricks, guys. gotta hope he stays.

Are we not supposed to be bitter? Are we supposed be appreciative of these guys?

I mean seriously we've been nothing short of horrid with these guys on the team. I certainly appreciate the idea that college athletics is not easy. But to put it bluntly, I don't give a damn. They are atrocious on the basketball court. I'm sure they are all good people, but I'd like to move on from all these guys. Start over.

I can't stand this current group of players, so good riddance
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:So if both leave, is Sam Donohue the starting PG?

They'll probably roll with Hicks at PG and pair him with Lonnie in the backcourt. Unless, of course, California calls for him too.

What I really hope is that Christian has an honest conversation with each player, senior or not, about their place on the team. Get rid of the guys who aren't committed to improving the program.

People gave Larry Brown a hard time when he cut a few guys who couldn't play at the level he demanded. 2 years later, SMU was the biggest tourney snub and is bringing in a Top-5 recruit.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/i ... ayers-team
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Well we were gonna be bad next year if everyone came back and we're gonna be bad without them. Probably terrible but in a way it gives the next wave of guys more opportunity and maybe speeds up the rebuild. That said, it still stinks for the suckers like me who watch all the games and yell at the TV when we lose. :screamyeagle

:| :| :|
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:So if both leave, is Sam Donohue the starting PG?

rock and roll
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Supposedly he wants to be a true point and cannot as long as Olivier is around. He was gone even if Don stayed, so this is not a surprise. Maybe this means Olivier is staying.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

More time with the ball in Hanlan's hands instead of Rahon's is a plus. He was a good player but never really thought of him as a top power conference point guard. Wasn't really quick enough maybe because of his knee problems in high school, but he did have a decent shot though. You could definitely see on the court that him and Hanlan were not on the same page some nights and were frustrated with each other. Just another scholarship open for Christian to get a type of player that he wants. Hopefully he puts the full court press on Devonte Graham or some other ball handler since we only have one true pg now.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Assuming he's close to 100%, Daryl Hicks is a very good player. And no, not like Dragevich.

FWIW I still think Dragevich could be a useful piece for BC. His confidence is shot
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:07 am

Rahon can't defend. And according to Christian, that is something he requires of his players. So this makes sense.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:11 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:Rahon can't defend. And according to Christian, that is something he requires of his players. So this makes sense.

"That" is something every coach but the departed Don requires of players. Joe is not leaving the Heights because he doesn't want or can't play "D."

These guys spent 3/4 of their college careers on a rebuild that went nowhere, playing in front of ghosts. I can't blame them for wanting a different experience from their last year. I'm with the posts above. If Olivier is here and it means he's asked to score 24 points a game, I'm all right with that. If it means Hicks gets 32 minutes a game (and he's decent to good) them I'm all right with that. If it means Christian and Spinelli can lure Devonte Graham here with the promise of immediate impact, then I'm really all right with that. If it means Sam Donahue plays at all, then I'm going to need rehab by season's end.....

We move forward. This hastens the transition......

That said, Joe represented the school well. I like Joe. Hope he finds what he's looking for.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 am

You guys sound like a broken record. I heard the same shit when Donahue took over and all those current roster players and recruits coming in left, "who needs them, they sucked anyway" "the Don is the best, he knows what he is doing" and on and on. How did that work out?????

The top three jobs of a new coach are:

1. Keep the players that are currently on the team.
2. Make sure the current recruits stay committed (no worries here for Christian).
3. Recruit new players and fast.

Donahue was 1-2, Christian so far is 1-1 with the one win being by default.

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Assuming he's close to 100%, Daryl Hicks is a very good player.

Classic idiotic statement from eepstein. Tell me eepstein, for the last three years or so all you've done is complain about Donahue's shitty recruiting and the fact that there are one or two ACC caliber players on the team. How do you come to this conclusion that Hicks is a very good player???? You are a dope and don't know what you are talking about as usual.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:You guys sound like a broken record. I heard the same shit when Donahue took over and all those current roster players and recruits coming in left, "who needs them, they sucked anyway" "the Don is the best, he knows what he is doing" and on and on. How did that work out?????

2. Make sure the current recruits stay committed (no worries here for Christian).

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Assuming he's close to 100%, Daryl Hicks is a very good player.

Classic idiotic statement from eepstein. Tell me eepstein, for the last three years or so all you've done is complain about Donahue's shitty recruiting and the fact that there are one or two ACC caliber players on the team. How do you come to this conclusion that Hicks is a very good player???? You are a dope and don't know what you are talking about as usual.

Big difference. At the time, we thought (not you obviously but most of us) Al was the worst thing possible. Now we realize that was the furthest thing from the truth. We now know the players Al had were solid at worst even if they were unspectacular.

With Donahue's players most of them can't even play in the ACC.

If you can't see the difference they you are just blinded but the obvious. I'd kill to have Al Skinner back at this point.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:07 am

The reason that hoops weirdos are weird is the fact that hoops is weird.

The players transferring thing is weird. Recruiting is weird. AAU is really, really weird.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:You guys sound like a broken record. I heard the same shit when Donahue took over and all those current roster players and recruits coming in left, "who needs them, they sucked anyway" "the Don is the best, he knows what he is doing" and on and on. How did that work out?????

Big difference. At the time, we thought (not you obviously but most of us) Al was the worst thing possible. Now we realize that was the furthest thing from the truth. We now know the players Al had were solid at worst even if they were unspectacular.

If you can't see the difference they you are just blinded but the obvious. I'd kill to have Al Skinner back at this point.

The two Donahue players that have left were the 2nd and probably 4th best players on the team. That makes a big difference. You need capable players to field a team. The chances of getting some last minute recruit who is half decent are not very good. This can lead to bad decisions if Christian starts handing out scholarships to guys for the sake of filling out the roster. Keep the existing players, keep the recruits coming in and work like hell to get a quality recruit or two. Let's see if he can get it done.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

The two Donahue players that have left were the 2nd and probably 4th best players on the team. That makes a big difference. You need capable players to field a team. The chances of getting some last minute recruit who is half decent are not very good. This can lead to bad decisions if Christian starts handing out scholarships to guys for the sake of filling out the roster. Keep the existing players, keep the recruits coming in and work like hell to get a quality recruit or two. Let's see if he can get it done.

2nd and 4th best players on the worst team in school history. What an amazing accomplishment.

How are are EVER going to get over these guys leaving?
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:43 pm

No way to spin this as anything other than proof that BC hoops has hit bottom and is irrelevant to the rest of college basketball.

Hiring a coach who is unable to retain 2 starters - both captains - speaks loud and clear.

Wherever they go will be a better fit for each.

And the Spinelli hiring suggests that, once again, the admissions gate has swung wide open. Without that promise from the power that be out there, why would Spinelli come to this sinking ship, even at a pay increase?

Let's just give this once fine program a decent burial.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby BCHerbert on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:10 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:No way to spin this as anything other than proof that BC hoops has hit bottom and is irrelevant to the rest of college basketball.

Hiring a coach who is unable to retain 2 starters - both captains - speaks loud and clear.

Wherever they go will be a better fit for each.

And the Spinelli hiring suggests that, once again, the admissions gate has swung wide open. Without that promise from the power that be out there, why would Spinelli come to this sinking ship, even at a pay increase?

Let's just give this once fine program a decent burial.

Rahon and Anderson checked out a long time ago. They've been on the transfer block for a while now and the only coaches that could convince those two to stay are Roy Williams, Coach K, maybe Pearl, etc. Do you know why they are transferring? I guarantee you that Spinelli is going to recruit and will be successful. If BC is successful, then Christian will be looking at a better job in a few years, and Spinelli can interview for the BC job. Make no mistake, these guys are here to be successful and to win. They have ambitions in life, they have to feed their families, and they will work hard. With the right assistants, BC has a shot here. Let's see how this plays out. BTW, do you want to hang out tonight?
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Bodie DeSilva ‏@SDPreps 5h
Now official-- Joe Rahon (Torrey Pines/Boston College) has received permission to contact other schools. A return to BC still an option.
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:BC basketball fever, catch it! :screamyeagle

Symptoms include malaise, increased blood pressure, clumsiness and feelings of helplessness.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Adios, mediocre!

Who gives a shit if Rahon leaves? Oh crap, we might win 6 instead of 8. You guys are short bus eligible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum