Ugh

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Ugh

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Gross.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Re: Ugh

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Gross.

Ugh is right. UConn wins its second National Championship in 4 years...while we are sitting here with Jim Christian.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Look on the bright side. With an 8 percent grad rate and an APR under 900, at some point soon they'll probably be ineligible for the tourney again.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Bender on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm

I think it's time to turn the corner and start supporting Christian until he proves to be as bad as some fans fear. The problem runs so much deeper than Christian, but if they bring in a good staff maybe we can get back to the tournament soon.

As far as UConn goes, I want to cheer for Napier because he's from Boston, and I wish I could view UConn winning as a good thing because it will raise the profile of college basketball in New England, but every time I see them play it pisses me off. I can only feel ok about them winning when they play Duke. I find Kevin Ollie to be very hate-able, he spent the whole game whining to the refs. The biggest kick in the nuts about their success is how much better BC was than UConn when I first became a fan. As much as I dislike Calhoun, imagine if he had taken over the program from Gary Williams instead of JOB. UConn caught lightning in a bottle when they got Calhoun. The other thing that UConn has is an administration that actually wants to be good at Basketball and is willing to accept what goes along with it.

I am probably in the minority here, but I'd like for BC to start playing all the local rivals out of conference, starting with UConn, continuing with UMass, PC, and Harvard and bringing back HC, BU, NU and maybe even adding UM-Lowell and other local schools, maybe that could increase interest in college basketball around here.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am

I don't like when they win (at all), but they earned it. congrats, sort of.

this makes that two point loss at MSG suck more.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 am

Not hiring Calhoun after Williams left was the single biggest blunder in the history of BC athletics, by a long shot. UConn and their fans have always loved bball and they made the right moves and got the job done much like the BC hockey program. There was a time no to long ago when neither UConn hoops or BC hockey could win anything, now they have won a combined 8 national titles and counting in 15 years making New England proud.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 am

isn't it still lent?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:06 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:isn't it still lent?

:whammy
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:isn't it still lent?

:whammy

yes - that was a pretty good one from the sexting nerd. kudos to you, mrs. b
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Ron's Stones on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am

There is no way to compare BC's hockey success to Uconn's hoops success. The enitre country is riveted by the men's basketball tournament, while 85% couldn't tell you who is in the Frozen Four or whether it has begun or is over yet. Hockey is a regional sport where teams like Union, Ferris State, Denver and UMASS-Lowell can compete on same level with "big boys."
Ron's Stones
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 am

Wait, UConn won the championship? I stopped watching when Albany got knocked out - screwed my bracket.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:45 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don't like when they win (at all), but they earned it. congrats, sort of.

this makes that two point loss at MSG suck more.

Do we get anything for almost beating both national champions?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:49 am

Unlike football, you don't need to be in a decent conference to have a shot at the hoops title.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 am

Calhoun at BC after Williams would have been a fascinating era. First of all, he would have won. He is just a great coach and would have won. No questions asked. The big issue is how long he would have stayed at BC, or how long would BC have kept him. My guess is that it would not have been a long term relationship. Calhoun would not have had leverage when he arrived from northeastern. He would not have been able to recruit whoever he wanted. But he would have won. After he started winning, his massive ego would have casued firestorms at BC. He would have wanted a full passs with admissions. And when he didnt get it, he would have been too much of a blowhard to just take no as an answer. He would have used Will Mcdonough as his mouthpiece, and there would be multiple articles insinuating that BC was not committed to winning. Will would have floated his name around for higher profile jobs to try to force BC's hand. Eventually BC would have loosened a little bit, and Calhoun would have received some leeway. It is how those kids did that would have defined his tenure at BC. If they survived academically and didnt pillage the campus, then the realtionship would have survived. If the players he brought to BC acted like many of the players that he brought to Uconn, then his admissions pass would have been rescinded, and he would have left, all while calling Bc everything in the book to the press on the way out the door.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 am

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:There is no way to compare BC's hockey success to Uconn's hoops success. The enitre country is riveted by the men's basketball tournament, while 85% couldn't tell you who is in the Frozen Four or whether it has begun or is over yet. Hockey is a regional sport where teams like Union, Ferris State, Denver and UMASS-Lowell can compete on same level with "big boys."

I didn't realize Butler, Wichita St., George Mason, and VCU were big boys.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:57 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:There is no way to compare BC's hockey success to Uconn's hoops success. The enitre country is riveted by the men's basketball tournament, while 85% couldn't tell you who is in the Frozen Four or whether it has begun or is over yet. Hockey is a regional sport where teams like Union, Ferris State, Denver and UMASS-Lowell can compete on same level with "big boys."

I didn't realize Butler, Wichita St., George Mason, and VCU were big boys.

Or UConn, for that matter.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ron's Stones on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 am

None of those mid-majors has won a championship. But the point is that nobody cares about college hockey. The women's hoops title game will get more press.

If you aren't good at football or basketball, you are irrelevant in college sports.
Ron's Stones
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:17 am

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:None of those mid-majors has won a championship.

UConn just did
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 am

There is no way to compare A Woman Under the Influence to Meet the Spartans. Meet the Spartans made tens of millions of dollars in a few days, while 99% couldn't tell you who John Cassavetes is. Therefore the two movies cannot be compared.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Ron's Stones on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 am

Uconn is not a mid major. C'mon. You could argue that it is the top basketball program of the 21st century. Sure, it played in AAC last season, but so did Louisville. I doubt anyone would call Louisville a mid-major had it won it all. Time will tell if conference issue holds back Uconn.

Hockey is a great game. I love it. I'm glad that we're the best at it. But we're kidding ourselves if we think it puts us on the map in college sports nationally. That's all I'm saying.
Ron's Stones
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:...we're ...we're ...we ...us ...

i had no problem with yukon's stones until he started this shit
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:Uconn is not a mid major. C'mon. You could argue that it is the top basketball program of the 21st century. Sure, it played in AAC last season, but so did Louisville. I doubt anyone would call Louisville a mid-major had it won it all. Time will tell if conference issue holds back Uconn.

Hockey is a great game. I love it. I'm glad that we're the best at it. But we're kidding ourselves if we think it puts us on the map in college sports nationally. That's all I'm saying.

I have no idea what the initials are for UConn's conference. Hence, mid-major. East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, Houston, Memphis, SMU.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ron's Stones on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 am

And probably 90% of sports fans couldn't name three teams in Hockey East, but BC fans celebrate hockey championships like they are on the same level as Final Fours or BCS bowls. If you get the same satisfaction from winning hockey titles as you would from going to a Final Four or BCS bowl, that's great.
Ron's Stones
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:And probably 90% of sports fans couldn't name three teams in Hockey East, but BC fans celebrate hockey championships like they are on the same level as Final Fours or BCS bowls. If you get the same satisfaction from winning hockey titles as you would from going to a Final Four or BCS bowl, that's great.

I'm in the 10% that can name three teams in both HE and the Alloverthecountry Athletic Conference, so I will have to defer to you on the other 90% for each.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't think anyone claims that the Frozen Four is anywhere near the Final Four as far as national prestige is concerned, but college hoops is nowhere near football in the national consciousness. Plus, the Final Four and a hoops championship aren't nearly as prestigious as they were 15-20 years ago. Carry on, h00pz wurdoz.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I don't think anyone claims that the Frozen Four is anywhere near the Final Four as far as national prestige is concerned, but college hoops is nowhere near football in the national consciousness. Plus, the Final Four and a hoops championship aren't nearly as prestigious as they were 15-20 years ago. Carry on, h00pz wurdoz.

That's because basketball these days is shit. The NBA is an absolutely terrible product that would be defunct without the Mouse, and all these one and dones are destroying the quality of the hoop on both levels. On the bright side, it is making it easier for more teams to compete because they can actually coach players for 4 years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Ron's Stones {l Wrote}:The women's hoops title game will get more press.

you do know the reason why ESPN cares so much about that game is because they are broadcasting it, right?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

you do know the reason why ESPN cares so much about that game is because they are broadcasting it, right?

Umm, they are broadcasting the Frozen Four as well.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying it will get the coverage of women's ball, but what I am saying is that if the NCAAW game was broadcasted elsewhere, ESPN would not be talking about it quite as much as they are now. which is... quite often. (the game being tonight does help)
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying it will get the coverage of women's ball, but what I am saying is that if the NCAAW game was broadcasted elsewhere, ESPN would not be talking about it quite as much as they are now. which is... quite often. (the game being tonight does help)

and the same would be true of the frozen four.

it's amazing you are able to figure out how to get dressed in the morning, much less get a computer turned on
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum