Fogler

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Fogler

Postby RyanBC on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 pm

We got Fogler'd. WTF? Why / how Fogler? How did that happen? Christian or no Christian, why did we need Fogler?

:spaz2 :spaz3 :whalepants :slapfight :orca :bowdown :pontif :pickle :pepper2 :cheer :boxer :tophat :skank :banana :toby :chewbanka :dildodog :kudos :screamyeagle :bag :seanwilliams :popcorn :violin :hokie :flagus :ugeek: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Re: Fogler

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:37 am

If we didn't have Fogler, we would've hired Amaker with Hopkins and Schmidt as the runner-ups. The other candidates would have been former assistants, Skerry and Lonergan. Piecing together all the different rumors and conversations I had last night, this is what I think happened.

Trust the process...

In BC's case, a number of BOT members have tried to step into the power vacuum created by GDF's departure. Blauds was right, Bates wanted Don back (told him as much which resulted in the Thamel article). The BOT members who now fancied themselves as BSDs told Bates it wasn't his call and changed his mind. Bates was completely ill-prepared to do a search. He had a bullshit list of coaches like Amaker. But, really didn't do much by the way of vetting. The BOT/defacto ADs said "fuck that Amaker nonsense, we're getting Wright!" That meant passing on Amaker (who as we know did not want to be a part of a drawn-out interview process).

The wooing of Wright was real. It got out because the BOT talks a lot. It also looked promising as Wright really considered making the move... right up to the point where the fucking BOT authorized BC pay him only what he was making at Nova. If you want to steal a coach, you fucking overwhelm him... look at the raise we are giving Christian versus his. $ 425k Ohio deal. BC admins went cheap (as they are want to do) and it cost them. Bates apparently even told the team/players that they were going to make a big time hire. Whoops.

Once Wright passed, the shitshow, 3-ring-circus ensued. The wannabe-ADs spitballed names, shat on others. Leo Sullivan (who cannot the fuck retire fast enough) never helps in these situations mentioned guys he previously interviewed last time around. Too many fucking cooks.

It is in this chaos that Fogler began to take control of the process. He was initially hired to speak to Xs & Os in the interview. However, once he shat on Schmidt and Hopkins (and whatever other local guy who got a prelim interview), he essentially removed the influence and noise of the BOT. It was then very east for him to steer the process to his names. Final two were Dooley and Christian. Bates chose the guy he knew.

With this search, it was a combination of Bates not being prepared (and also not being a smart man), the BOT getting involved but then (of course) cheaping out and not doing what was necessary to finish the job and Eddie Fogler being hired and steering shit to his clients. Perfect Storm of Trusting the Process.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 am

homodore64 echoed a lot of what i heard as well.

my big concern is that bates had approval to spend. after tier 1 turned us down, he went straight to tier 3. no in between.

there is a distinct divide between ACC/B10/PAC10 basketball then multi bid leagues (A10, American, etc) then 1 bid legaues; we went straight down to 3, again after the the Donahue disaster

btw nice to see former asst coach nat graham gloating on twitter, go fuck yourself and go back to the ivy league
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:31 am

Is that the same Nate Graham who only attended half of the games this year and was the main recruiter for landing our stellar recruiting class this year?

Your concern over Bates (while valid) is not new. BC had a decent budget to go get Al Golden and Bill O'Brien. Of course, while I say that, it should be noted that it was again basically nothing more than offering both what they were then making at The U and Ped State. Once rebuffed, Bates dropped immediately down to Daz. Regardless of what you think of Dazoo when he was hired, it was unequivocally a cheap move by BC. My takeaway from both searches is that while Bates had a decent budget, it was only for guys who were already making more. If you want to steal a coach, you need to overpay... just does not jive with BC's style.

Btw... the ramifications of this shitshow are pretty significant. Agents and coaches have a terrible opinion of BC. Throw-in a circus every time we do a coaching search and it gets harder and harder to find candidates willing to talk. When they do this again in 3 years, they need to fire Christian with their choice essentially waiting in the wings (ala Auburn and VTech). Of course, that would require that BC has learned from their mistakes... another thing that isn't BC's style.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 am

now that its over

wright was very interested in the job.

anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

we offer him a 500k-750k raise (to get to that 3 mil #) we get him. it was simple as that.

he was even seriously considering it DESPITE our offer being slightly above his current rate
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 am

correct that nat graham
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 am

+1 on the Weight stuff. It was absolutely real and even close which makes this so much worse.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am

Wait, the Jay Wright stuff was real?

I do enjoy this board.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 am

HomoJS {l Wrote}:If we didn't have Fogler, we would've hired Amaker with Hopkins and Schmidt as the runner-ups. The other candidates would have been former assistants, Skerry and Lonergan. Piecing together all the different rumors and conversations I had last night, this is what I think happened.

Trust the process...

Was "Yakety Sax" playing in the background for the entire two weeks?
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 am

The fact BC wouldn't pay an extra $500K tells you all you need to know about the athletic department and school itself. What a joke
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wait, the Jay Wright stuff was real?

I do enjoy this board.

Was there even one mention outside of twb's mentions about Jay Wright?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:31 am

Well, fuck.

And I thought I was disappointed yesterday. What a shitshow.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The fact BC wouldn't pay an extra $500K tells you all you need to know about the athletic department and school itself. What a joke

What are you talking about? We certainly did pay an extra $500k... to University of Ohio... for the right to steal the coach with the highest winning percentage in MAC history. Huzzah!!!
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

BC923 kept saying it but I thought he was just backing my gambit.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

I know it showed up in a Blauds article too but you know... Blauds.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

There were also the two April Fools articles on the VU and BC sportsnation affiliates.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 am

Hearing that we had Wright's interest and not ponying up another 10-20% of the offer is awful. WTF is the difference? I don't consider being willing to match/barely up his salary to be cheap, though. I consider not upping the ante stupid and probably stubborn in an "all things equal, if you don't want to be here, then shove it" type of way.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Hearing that we had Wright's interest and not ponying up another 10-20% of the offer is awful. WTF is the difference? I don't consider being willing to match/barely up his salary to be cheap, though. I consider not upping the ante stupid and probably stubborn in an "all things equal, if you don't want to be here, then shove it" type of way.

It's cheap because you aren't looking for the best coach... you are looking for a bargain. My guess is that it came from the BOT member who got a seat by pledging millions for a stadium he knew would ever be built. Essentially, it is an attempt to get the benefits of being a spender without actually having to lay down a dime.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:24 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
HomoJS {l Wrote}:If we didn't have Fogler, we would've hired Amaker with Hopkins and Schmidt as the runner-ups. The other candidates would have been former assistants, Skerry and Lonergan. Piecing together all the different rumors and conversations I had last night, this is what I think happened.

Trust the process...

Was "Yakety Sax" playing in the background for the entire two weeks?

:bowdown
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

There were also the two April Fools articles on the VU and BC sportsnation affiliates.

most references over the past week to steve lappas were thinly veiled discussions of jay wright. he did visit campus, did entertain an offer and then; when he didn't get hsi number, walked away. i was energized by this move/possibility thinking we might actually try to do something... and then BAM the bc ballkick. i don't know why i ever believe.

tedwardo - i thought you were actually in the know as well until you kept pushing your wright agenda after it was clear he was out
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 am

you would think Eastern Clothing would have kicked in the extra anyway.
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Hearing that we had Wright's interest and not ponying up another 10-20% of the offer is awful. WTF is the difference? I don't consider being willing to match/barely up his salary to be cheap, though. I consider not upping the ante stupid and probably stubborn in an "all things equal, if you don't want to be here, then shove it" type of way.

It's cheap because you aren't looking for the best coach... you are looking for a bargain. My guess is that it came from the BOT member who got a seat by pledging millions for a stadium he knew would ever be built. Essentially, it is an attempt to get the benefits of being a spender without actually having to lay down a dime.

How is paying Wright what he makes at Nova looking for a bargain?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:56 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

because if you're going to offer him a filet o'fish, it should come with a premium rather than a straight trade
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

most references over the past week to steve lappas were thinly veiled discussions of jay wright. he did visit campus, did entertain an offer and then; when he didn't get hsi number, walked away. i was energized by this move/possibility thinking we might actually try to do something... and then BAM the bc ballkick. i don't know why i ever believe.

tedwardo - i thought you were actually in the know as well until you kept pushing your wright agenda after it was clear he was out

I had no knowledge - my sources, to the extent they had info, left with Napoleon.

I just thought Wright was an obvious fit, based on my belief early on that BC is a very good job and that the Big East is going to slide off.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 am

Why was there no post on the EO lounge bulletin board about the Steve Lappas code? This is so Wayne Fontes. i'm bullshit.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

Why is BC a "very good job"? Compared to the MAC?

I had no knowledge - my sources, to the extent they had info, left with Napoleon.

I just thought Wright was an obvious fit, based on my belief early on that BC is a very good job and that the Big East is going to slide off.
Nate2651
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

because if you're going to offer him a filet o'fish, it should come with a premium rather than a straight trade

but it's not a straight trade. you're offering a filet o'fish from a franchise with a realiable history, not from one whose ingredients are known to be slipping in quality.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:13 am

Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I do enjoy this board.

Why is BC a "very good job"? Compared to the MAC?

Compared to Villanova. BC being an interesting job to Jay Wright is a no-brainer. Cough up the cash next time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

but it's not a straight trade. you're offering a filet o'fish from a franchise with a realiable history, not from one whose ingredients are known to be slipping in quality.

If you are going to make a move, why just take a slightly better filet o'fish? Why not get something much, much, much better... like prime rib.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

don't know if you've checked the sign lately but the latest sanitation grade posted in conte is a "C" at best. i'm sure he's fine to maintain with his low "A" for the same money that it would take to elbow grease the "C" especially since the "C" has been reinforced over a several year period
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum