Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:20 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So we have a tradition as a stepping stone for coaches. I don't know what it means. But it's something.

Gonna go out on a limb here, given the topic at hand, and speculate that it means BC is capable of getting good coaches.

That's only assuming the environment is the same as it was 20 or so years ago. We're in a different conference, with a different AD, a different president, an extremely different college basketball environment etc. Not saying we cant get a good coach but looking to history that far back as being indicative of anything is weak.

Without denying that BC is in a different situation now than they have been for the past 45-50 years, BC as had few basketball coaching misses over that time. The one guy hired by GDF is about it, though the elders will tell you that JOB sucked for a while and underachieve with some decent talent until 1994.

Looking back at a history of hiring coaches is no weaker than saying BC cannot hire a good coach because the Wake and Marquette jobs are open.

Are we even arguing about anything at this point? I really feel like we're not but I can't stop typing.

My only point is and has been that other than the myth that Leahy is cheap, BC is a better job with better tradition than Wake and the only support to the contrary is Tim Duncan and words coming out of the mouth of douchebags in tie dye.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:jobias did suck at the start and that curley, eisley, huckaby, abram senior year was his first visit to the top half of the big east. it was also his 8th season.

if it wasn't for danya abrams' ass, jobias bc career would be looked at much differently than it is because of a random win over a dean smith carolina and bobby knight indiana

That win over UNC is like JOB's Tim Duncan

except tim duncan is still remembered as a good player

http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/03/15/11-biggest-upsets-in-ncaa-tournament-history/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/630223-march-madness-the-xx-biggest-upsets-in-tournament-history/page/10

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/ncaatourneyupset.html

First three I found
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm

it used to be fun to go to carolina games and look up in the rafters to see the "1994 ncaa tournament" banner surrounded by all the other years of sweet 16 and better. after doherty/8-20 it got less fun
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:43 pm

With the VCU job opening, where is BC in terms of desirability?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:With the VCU job opening, where is BC in terms of desirability?

Why don't you just say what you want to say? Seriously, drop the fucking lede....
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

Why don't you just say what you want to say? Seriously, drop the fucking lede....

What? That I was right when I was telling folks Marq was considered a better job? Fine. I told you so.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 pm

If i was offered the BC job I would take it tomorrow, I would even take less than Onahue made.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

What? That I was right when I was telling folks Marq was considered a better job? Fine. I told you so.

There ya go. Knew you were looking forward to that. You eat this shit up.

Just wait til BC actually hires someone please.
Last edited by eaglesfan06 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:13 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

There ya go. Knew you were looking forward to take. You eat this shit up.

And then what? Shit all over the choice??? Fuck that! We're apparently lucky if someone half-way decent takes the job. Further, who the hell am I to say the mid-major-du-jour won't win here. Just because Don failed doesn't mean Lonergan/Hopkins/Amaker/Kowalcyzk won't be able to bring us to the NIT next year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bender on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

I think that both sides can make compelling arguments as to which job is better right now. One problem for both programs has been their recent hires, BC with Donahue and Wake with their last two bad coaches, Bzdelik and Gaudio. Both jobs have taken a hit because of these coaches. I will say in my lifetime I would give the edge to Wake just because of the name recognition of Duncan and Paul, but I like many Boston area sports fans have a bias toward pro sports.

One thing that worries me is the local perception from outsiders, (i.e. Michael Felger and Many UMass alums) that Boston College wants to rely on their prestige to find a coach without paying him a competitive salary. This perception gained a lot of steam after the Coach Jags firing in football, and GDF may have actually been guilty of such an accusation. I think it's important for Bates to hire whomever he perceives as the best candidate and not eliminate a Ben Howland type because of cost concerns. If BC blows this search as badly as the last one there will be no way to argue for it being one of the best jobs in the country.

An aside, this whole debate brings me back to when I was a kid at BC Basketball camp in the mid 80s, JOB had the campers help play a prank on the Wake Forest coach. Either Bob Staak or Carl Tacy, not sure who it was at the time, was the guest speaker for the day in the old Roberts Center, he called up a camper to help with the drill (the camper was Jason Hehir, who grew up to direct the Fab 5, 30 for 30 on ESPN) after Jason helped him with the drill the coach gave him a Wake Forest t-shirt as a reward, Jason refused it and said he didn't want a Wake Forest shirt. The place erupted with laughter, and the coach got legitimately pissed at JOB and the prank.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

And then what? Shit all over the choice??? Fuck that! We're apparently lucky if someone half-way decent takes the job. Further, who the hell am I to say the mid-major-du-jour won't win here. Just because Don failed doesn't mean Lonergan/Hopkins/Amaker/Kowalcyzk won't be able to bring us to the NIT next year.

Wut?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

Wut?

I, too, am thoroughly confused by this HJS agenda.

The Wake Forest job blows, and bender correctly identified one half of the equation - Timmay and C3PO - as to why people erroneously believe otherwise. The other half of the equation is the Little Engine that Could fanbase that keeps telling everyone what a tradition they have so that they don't become irrelevant in Tobacco town. Like I said earlier, Wake is UMass hockey, if one star like Jonathan Quick had gone there .. wait a minute....
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:20 am

there is nothing wrong with your statements or analogies but if wake is able to hire a better coach than bc i would say there is more to this perception than just the minds of "the little engine that could fan base."

in other words, no matter whether it's true or false - if they're able to hire based on it then the reality pales in comparison and becomes less important.

bc never should have beaten carolina in 1994 but no matter how many times the baby blues down here tell me that, it doesn't change the fact that it happened
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:there is nothing wrong with your statements or analogies but if wake is able to hire a better coach than bc i would say there is more to this perception than just the minds of "the little engine that could fan base."

in other words, no matter whether it's true or false - if they're able to hire based on it then the reality pales in comparison and becomes less important.

bc never should have beaten carolina in 1994 but no matter how many times the baby blues down here tell me that, it doesn't change the fact that it happened

Two problems with your response: Dino Gaudio and Jeff Bzdelik. So far, Wake is only telling everyone that they can make a better hire. There is ZERO evidence that they actually can.

Furthermore, I'm not sure the school's reputation is the sole governing factor here. UNC did hire Matt Doherty, after all, and Tubby Smith had a job at Kentucky. Incompetence can trump the biggest reputation or checkbook. Even assuming Bates makes a hire that has less sex appeal, it will be some time before we understand whether it was a "better" hire.

For example, I for one am not sold on Shaka Smart. And many people would have died for Brian Gregory three or four years ago and he has done jackshit at a program with as much or more tradition than Wake.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

Wut?

You are confused because there is no agenda. If anything, all I'm (and perhaps others like TRE) doing is dragging hoops weirdos kicking and screaming into reality. The notion that BC is remotely a good job is laughable. In one of the few years no great jobs have opened, we are squarely behind Auburn, Wake, Marquette and jockeying with Houston and USF for next desirable (we get bumped further if Cincy opens).

Can BC change the terrible perception it has with coaches, media and fans? Of course, the admin has worked very hard to cultivate their "BC doesn't give a shit about athletics" rep. As Teddy has accurately accounted, BC wasn't always indifferent about sports. BC could go out and hire Jay Wright and give him a $3mm a year deal and build him better facilities. The only thing preventing us from doing such is the people running the school. Which I argue is a whole lot harder to change than just bringing in a new AD and firing a coach.

Bottom line is that barring a major culture change in the administration, we ain't hiring a home run. We ain't hiring someone that will immediately change perception. In fact, Drunky Drunk was probably the only one who would do it for the money and lack of support we offer (which is the reason why I supported his candidacy in spite of him saying mean things that hurt BC fans' feelings).

As such, it would probably be more interesting to read about coaches that actually have a chance to be candidates. I'll start... I think the best realistic hope we have is for BC to bring in an up-and-comer (someone like Archie Miller, Marshall, Masiello or maybe Hopkins) who wins big enough that major programs take notice and look to poach. I have more of a concern with BC going the "best coach who will stay route" (e.g. Schmidt, O'Shea, Lonergan, Jones, Coen, etc). That is what brought us Don and is what I fear will be the compromised approach of the marineagles of the BOT.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am

fair - but wake got mentioned with a few of the early "names" whereas bc's been mentioned with amaker.

it could be as many have surmised that gerbil rectum keeps himself out of the media (probably because of the whole gerbil rectum rumors) OR it could be the collective misconception that wake has "more it/now" than bc

as you point out - there will be two reaction periods... the immediate (welcome aboard from your sweet 16 run, grand-slam-hire steve donahue) and the informed (don't let the door hit you in the whistler, beeker)

by the way, i don't even like sports... why do i keep dragging myself into these conversations
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:26 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:

Wut?

You are confused because there is no agenda. If anything, all I'm (and perhaps others like TRE) doing is dragging hoops weirdos kicking and screaming into reality. The notion that BC is remotely a good job is laughable. In one of the few years no great jobs have opened, we are squarely behind Auburn, Wake, Marquette and jockeying with Houston and USF for next desirable (we get bumped further if Cincy opens).

Can BC change the terrible perception it has with coaches, media and fans? Of course, the admin has worked very hard to cultivate their "BC doesn't give a shit about athletics" rep. As Teddy has accurately accounted, BC wasn't always indifferent about sports. BC could go out and hire Jay Wright and give him a $3mm a year deal and build him better facilities. The only thing preventing us from doing such is the people running the school. Which I argue is a whole lot harder to change than just bringing in a new AD and firing a coach.

Bottom line is that barring a major culture change in the administration, we ain't hiring a home run. We ain't hiring someone that will immediately change perception. In fact, Drunky Drunk was probably the only one who would do it for the money and lack of support we offer (which is the reason why I supported his candidacy in spite of him saying mean things that hurt BC fans' feelings).

As such, it would probably be more interesting to read about coaches that actually have a chance to be candidates. I'll start... I think the best realistic hope we have is for BC to bring in an up-and-comer (someone like Archie Miller, Marshall, Masiello or maybe Hopkins) who wins big enough that major programs take notice and look to poach. I have more of a concern with BC going the "best coach who will stay route" (e.g. Schmidt, O'Shea, Lonergan, Jones, Coen, etc). That is what brought us Don and is what I fear will be the compromised approach of the marineagles of the BOT.

There is about as much evidence for your theories in this post as there is for Philly and Ghost's theories involving the plane that crashed in the ocean.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:fair - but wake got mentioned with a few of the early "names" whereas bc's been mentioned with amaker.

Unlike HJS and his chronic knee-jerkism, I don't put much stock in obvious media plants like Wake going after Smart. I'm sure I can find articles and tweets where Wake was after Rick Pitino last time before they decided that Jeff Bzdelik was the better choice. Seriously, was Jack Sikma unavailable?

I am not trying to overestimate the BC job - like all jobs in the ACC it is a very good job. Like Wake, it is one of the weaker ACC jobs, though both are better than VT. I am just laughing at this myth that Wake is a real Tobacco Road coaching position - its not, any more than "head hockey coach at NU" is a key position in the Battle of Commonwealth Ave.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 am

Wake is like NU Hockey because it has to compete with bigger fish "just down the road."
Wake draws fans because its the only show in town and nobody has any other choices.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 am

talon {l Wrote}:Wake is like NU Hockey because it has to compete with bigger fish "just down the road."
Wake draws fans because its the only show in town and nobody has any other choices.

Wake is like NU hockey because it has to compete with bigger shows in the same exact sport at the same exact level as bigger fish down the road.

All college basketball in the area, including the big and little fish, draw fans because there are no other sports in town.

Oversimplification doesn't make the best arguments, even when attempting irony.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:... attempting irony.

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:50 am

by the way, saying wake and rcc/dook compete for the same fan base is like geographically suggesting bc and yukon/providence compete for the same fan base
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:52 am

As is, BC is not a good job. It might be the right job for the right kind of person, but it is not a good job. That being said, Marquette and Wake are not very good jobs either.

Further, I think BC has the potential to be a much better job than Marquette or Wake depending on what the administration is like post-Leahy.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:by the way, saying wake and rcc/dook compete for the same fan base is like geographically suggesting bc and yukon/providence compete for the same fan base

That's fair, but I didn't want to get into the subtleties of the analogy by explaining that you can both suffer from little brother syndrome and have a different fan base at the same time. Figured BC fans might understand those accusations.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am

saying bc is not a good job is crazy.

there are over 330 division 1 college basketball jobs, and we are one of 16 slots in the premier conference in the country.

we are at worst a top 50 job, which would put us in the top 15% of coaching jobs.

the question isn't is the job a good one, its is this job an elite one (top 20)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:by the way, saying wake and rcc/dook compete for the same fan base is like geographically suggesting bc and yukon/providence compete for the same fan base

That's fair, but I didn't want to get into the subtleties of the analogy by explaining that you can both suffer from little brother syndrome and have a different fan base at the same time. Figured BC fans might understand those accusations.

as we've lived in yukon's (our neighbor down the street) shadow for decades, you are correct in ignoring this tangent
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 am

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
...we are one of 16 slots in the premier conference in the country...

i'm betting your bracket isn't doing all that well
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:29 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

So A-10 is equal to the ACC because it has the same amount of teams in the Sweet 16?

Got it.

If UVA wins and Dayton loses, is the ACC then better than the A-10?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

So A-10 is equal to the ACC because it has the same amount of teams in the Sweet 16?

Got it.

If UVA wins and Dayton loses, is the ACC then better than the A-10?

to call it THEE premier conference is pushing it. that's all i'm saying. i would have had no problem with "one of" but to put the acc on a pedistal as THEE best conference and then analogize that it makes bc a top 16 job in the nation may be pushing it ever so slightly

so, to recap, i am not saying that the acc is either wes welker OR braylon edwards
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum