Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
...we are one of 16 slots in the premier conference in the country...

i'm betting your bracket isn't doing all that well

So A-10 is equal to the ACC because it has the same amount of teams in the Sweet 16?

Got it.

If UVA wins and Dayton loses, is the ACC then better than the A-10?

to call it THEE premier conference is pushing it. that's all i'm saying. i would have had no problem with "one of" but to put the acc on a pedistal as THEE best conference and then analogize that it makes bc a top 16 job in the nation may be pushing it ever so slightly

so, to recap, i am not saying that the acc is either wes welker OR braylon edwards

because that's what I did...

commavegarage {l Wrote}:we are at worst a top 50 job, which would put us in the top 15% of coaching jobs.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 am

i didn't read that far... i was too distracted by the comment that the acc is the bestest conference in the galaxy
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:38 pm

ESPN CBB Insider Andy Katz covers Tom Izzo's future, the coaching searches at Marquette, Boston College and Wake Forest, the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament and more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=10671358

I thought there was going to be something of importance in this, but it was basically "WF and BC are shitty jobs and both schools will have to settle"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 pm

He's right about Wake. It is a shitty job.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

for the record, he also listed bc second so that also makes bc a better job than wake
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Katz was a big supporter of the program under Skinner. Was actually refreshing to have someone talking up our teams in the national press (yes, I know he grew up in Newton and his dad is a longtime BC Law professor). He went a media-version of postal when Skinner was fired. If BC makes a good hire (or has a coach that starts winning again), I'm sure he will be one of the first to so acknowledge.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm

To answer this thread's quesiton, I would do our coaching vacancy in the butt
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:38 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:To answer this thread's quesiton, I would do our coaching vacancy in the butt

the same held true for tubasteak while you were on the heights so.... that's not really saying much
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:To answer this thread's quesiton, I would do our coaching vacancy in the butt

the same held true for tubasteak while you were on the heights so.... that's not really saying much

I'm pretty sure that we were never in school at the same time.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Any chance Oklahoma State becomes an open job?

Sounds like their fans are praying that Travis Ford gets fired.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Katz was a big supporter of the program under Skinner. Was actually refreshing to have someone talking up our teams in the national press (yes, I know he grew up in Newton and his dad is a longtime BC Law professor). He went a media-version of postal when Skinner was fired. If BC makes a good hire (or has a coach that starts winning again), I'm sure he will be one of the first to so acknowledge.

Katz will come back around with the right hire. He's the closest we've had to a BC basketball fan in the national media.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 pm

eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 am

Anyone have any thoughts on us being an Under Armour school and how it may effect recruiting? No UA school made the tourney.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Anyone have any thoughts on us being an Under Armour school and how it may effect recruiting? No UA school made the tourney.

Under Armour is trash and their shoes break bones.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Anyone have any thoughts on us being an Under Armour school and how it may effect recruiting? No UA school made the tourney.

stephen f. austin is offended by that statement
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:With the VCU job opening, where is BC in terms of desirability?

Why don't you just say what you want to say? Seriously, drop the fucking lede....

What? That I was right when I was telling folks Marq was considered a better job? Fine. I told you so.

There ya go. Knew you were looking forward to take. You eat this shit up.

Just wait til BC actually hires someone please.

And then what? Shit all over the choice??? Fuck that! We're apparently lucky if someone half-way decent takes the job. Further, who the hell am I to say the mid-major-du-jour won't win here. Just because Don failed doesn't mean Lonergan/Hopkins/Amaker/Kowalcyzk won't be able to bring us to the NIT next year.

Wut?

I, too, am thoroughly confused by this HJS agenda.

You are confused because there is no agenda. If anything, all I'm (and perhaps others like TRE) doing is dragging hoops weirdos kicking and screaming into reality. The notion that BC is remotely a good job is laughable. In one of the few years no great jobs have opened, we are squarely behind Auburn, Wake, Marquette and jockeying with Houston and USF for next desirable (we get bumped further if Cincy opens).

Can BC change the terrible perception it has with coaches, media and fans? Of course, the admin has worked very hard to cultivate their "BC doesn't give a shit about athletics" rep. As Teddy has accurately accounted, BC wasn't always indifferent about sports. BC could go out and hire Jay Wright and give him a $3mm a year deal and build him better facilities. The only thing preventing us from doing such is the people running the school. Which I argue is a whole lot harder to change than just bringing in a new AD and firing a coach.

Bottom line is that barring a major culture change in the administration, we ain't hiring a home run. We ain't hiring someone that will immediately change perception. In fact, Drunky Drunk was probably the only one who would do it for the money and lack of support we offer (which is the reason why I supported his candidacy in spite of him saying mean things that hurt BC fans' feelings).

As such, it would probably be more interesting to read about coaches that actually have a chance to be candidates. I'll start... I think the best realistic hope we have is for BC to bring in an up-and-comer (someone like Archie Miller, Marshall, Masiello or maybe Hopkins) who wins big enough that major programs take notice and look to poach. I have more of a concern with BC going the "best coach who will stay route" (e.g. Schmidt, O'Shea, Lonergan, Jones, Coen, etc). That is what brought us Don and is what I fear will be the compromised approach of the marineagles of the BOT.

There is about as much evidence for your theories in this post as there is for Philly and Ghost's theories involving the plane that crashed in the ocean.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=9816
So the chatter coming from Blauds, Hoff, ProJo, Heral, Globe have given this illustrious list of candidates:
McCarty, O'Shea, Skerry, Schmidt, Paulsen, Amaker and Hopkins.

Thoughts? I gotta say that Amaker is my favorite from that group with Hopkins second. All the rest suck.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:55 pm

my thoughts are that there is a 0% chance any of those people will be the head coach
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:06 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:my thoughts are that there is a 0% chance any of those people will be the head coach

i'd say 1% chance but otherwise this.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=9816
So the chatter coming from Blauds, Hoff, ProJo, Heral, Globe have given this illustrious list of candidates:
McCarty, O'Shea, Skerry, Schmidt, Paulsen, Amaker and Hopkins.

Thoughts? I gotta say that Amaker is my favorite from that group with Hopkins second. All the rest suck.

this is pretty much the same list that mo.j. and i wagered on earlier in the search process. this is the second instance of the day that mo.j. = blauds or blauds' lover
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:"bates doesn't get a blank check to hire anyone he wants for any amount of money" is slightly different from "leahy will dictate who gets hired"

never change mo.j.

Saying "leahy will dictate who gets hired" is slightly different from "Leahy/BOT will limit the pool of hires from which Bates will pick."

depends. are you saying bot will dictate we can't spend $4 million and that limits the pool or leahy will require a white catholic with ties to the area?

not allowing a $4 millon guy is not unreasonable... especially when you consider the pathetic amount of giving that trickles in to our fine alma mater

The BOT/Leahy will have a say on the pool of hireable candidates above and beyond the amount they are willing to spend.

I don't have any illusions of BC paying the BB coach more than the FB coach. However, that still makes Pearl and Howland attainable. Nonetheless, money is not what I was referring to. There is going to be a pressure for the administration to hire Amaker, an alum (Schmidt) or a former BC assistant (Coen, O'Shea, Jones). I believe Bates will have a very difficult time expanding the short list beyond those 5. Not saying it's impossible, but I think there is a 70% chance that one of them will be our next coach. If it is someone good, it will speak volumes for Bates' ability to navigate BC's peculiar internal politics.

i would like to wager with you that our next coach will not be someone included in your list. As you are saying it's more likely than not that the coach will be from that list, i assume that means you want no odds or wish to grant me favorable odds (i'd accept 3/2). what do you feel comfortable with as far as stakes for this wager?

by the way, i predict that you will not enter a wager because this is yet again another instance where you are blustering and bullshitting under the guise of prognostication and prediction

I would do a bet. Give me those 5 plus good-for-New-England-types like Danny Hurley and Pat Skerry. For the record, all of them are awful and not at all who I'd want. But, I'm pretty confident that BC is going to eff this whole thing up.

By the way, Mike Hopkins is finally done waiting around for Boeheim to retire. He has just hired a big-time agent from IMG. I think he is the most realistic "outside" candidate.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Considering how attractive the BC job is and there's been no hire yet you have to start wondering how many potential candidates the hired gun has sent feelers out to that said no thanks.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:36 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:09 pm

I think everyone knows certain coaches are likely to move for the right price. It's not terribly hard each year to match up those coaches with the available jobs. You'd probably be more right than wrong (e.g. we all predicted Bruce to Auburn before that job even opened up).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 pm

The answer to this thread's question may finally be "Yes" (depending on your view of the Tulsa gig).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The answer to this thread's question may finally be "Yes" (depending on your view of the Tulsa gig).

AND YOU LOVE IT!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:42 am

Maybe we need to start thinking creatively here -- BC has an unfilled opening, Stephen Drew is still a free agent. Kind of makes sense, especially if we put all those BBall scholies to good use finally and put baseball players on them, like we use to do with hockey and baseball.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I still get a kick out of this thread. Speaking of where the BC job ranks, I am betting Ohio winds up with a coach that most here consider to be an improvement over Christian.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I still get a kick out of this thread. Speaking of where the BC job ranks, I am betting Ohio winds up with a coach that most here consider to be an improvement over Christian.

Of course they will. No one could be worse than Jim Christian.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I still get a kick out of this thread. Speaking of where the BC job ranks, I am betting Ohio winds up with a coach that most here consider to be an improvement over Christian.

Danny Manning says hello
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GlorytoBC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's right about Wake. It is a shitty job.

Care to elaborate on why its a shitty job?

Dave Odom, Skip Prosser and Dino Gaudio were all able to bring in good recruits to Wake Forest. They also have a pretty good basketball history and have been ranked #1 in the polls on two different occasions over the span of the past 10 years. They have had a tendency to choke in the NCAA Tournament and they have been pretty dang bad the past four years under Bzdelik, but there is no way on earth that Wake Forest can be classified as a shitty job.

They're located in an area that is great for basketball recruiting (and it helps that North Carolina and Duke recruit nationally) and they are typically viewed as a program that has a good reputation in the Carolinas, Virginia, and Georgia. (their three biggest hot beds when it comes to recruiting)

I also saw that you said the other day that they've only had one great player and one decent coach.

Who is that one great player? Is it Tim Duncan, arguably the greatest Power Forward ever or is it Chris Paul, a future Hall of Famer?

Who is there one decent coach? Is it Murray Greason, Bones McKinney, Carl Tacy, Dave Odom or Skip Prosser?

You're really not very educated about Wake Forest Basketball.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum