Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:23 pm

i'm just saying that calling the programs anything short of "comparable" is just as disingenuous as saying that bc didn't have any history until billy curley stepped on campus

so if you start at "comparable" and add "willing (not able, i said willing) to pay more money" then you open up your coaching options tremendously

that's all i'm sayin
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Actually, the last two AAs from either school are Dudley (2nd) and Smith (x2 - 2nd and 3rd). Paul before that and then Howard and Bell (x2).

Not sure where WikiWake is getting its numbers.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:a guy most people are unaware ever coached at BC

To be clear here, are we referring to Bob Cousy, Chuck Daly, Dr. Tom Davis, Gary Williams or Steve Donahue here? I get my Hall of Famers all mixed up.

i assumed he meant frank leahy :shrug

Wake had a couple of seasons with Timmay and Childress and a couple with Howard and Paul. There might have been one season where they overachieved with Rogers. Otherwise, Wake's "tradition" is nothing but an inferiority complex in a tie-dye shirt.

5 elite 8 and 1 final four more than bc say that they can hold their own in a "program vs. program death match"

So BC gets no credit for 600 more wins because they didn't win two more random games?

15 all americans to bc's 8

I'm gonna nip this in the bud...Riley Skinner did NOT play basketball.

Did he play stickball?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm just saying that calling the programs anything short of "comparable" is just as disingenuous as saying that bc didn't have any history until billy curley stepped on campus

so if you start at "comparable" and add "willing (not able, i said willing) to pay more money" then you open up your coaching options tremendously

that's all i'm sayin

600 win differential is 30 seasons of Dave Odom with BC not playing hoop at all.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

To be clear here, are we referring to Bob Cousy, Chuck Daly, Dr. Tom Davis, Gary Williams or Steve Donahue here? I get my Hall of Famers all mixed up.

Wake had a couple of seasons with Timmay and Childress and a couple with Howard and Paul. There might have been one season where they overachieved with Rogers. Otherwise, Wake's "tradition" is nothing but an inferiority complex in a tie-dye shirt.

5 elite 8 and 1 final four more than bc say that they can hold their own in a "program vs. program death match"

So BC gets no credit for 600 more wins because they didn't win two more random games?

15 all americans to bc's 8

I'm gonna nip this in the bud...Riley Skinner did NOT play basketball.

Did he play stickball?

Intramural with Sam Swank.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 pm

i declare tedwardo the victor.

bc is the best and wake forest is the worst. sadly that will make it even more difficult to explain when wake forest hires a better basketball coach than boston college does. or how virginia tech was able to hire a much better basketball coach than bc does even though they don't even have timmay or childress to throw around as an excuse
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:37 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Buzz got a seven year deal, so yes it can be interpreted that it is about the money. And I truly dont think where these guys live matters all that much to them. coaches are transient. thyey bounce around every 3-4 years, do they really care about living in East Lansing vs. chestnut Hill. I would say very rarely would a coach take less money on a job in an area such as chestnut hill rather than more money in an area not as nice, say East Lansing. I would say the overwhlming majority of coaches, if the money was say 250k or more in East lansing, would go there.

I would bet you most coaches would take a million to coach at UNC over $4 million to coach at Central Michigan. Money matters, but so does prestige, resources and the ability of the program to win. And there is a much larger gap in Division 1 over the latter 3 categories than there is in relative salaries.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i declare tedwardo the victor.

bc is the best and wake forest is the worst. sadly that will make it even more difficult to explain when wake forest hires a better basketball coach than boston college does. or how virginia tech was able to hire a much better basketball coach than bc does even though they don't even have timmay or childress to throw around as an excuse

BC is hardly the best. I just feel the need to call out the fiction that is Wake Forest basketball tradition, a fiction created and perpetuated by 2000 idiots and tie dye and the mere existence of Timmay and CP3. While both have sucked recently, BC has been on par or better in the years post-Duncan and was the better program before Duncan and Childress back to the 60s.

Also refuse to engage in that oh so BC/Catholic sense of self-loathing. BC has a good basketball tradition, is in a great location with a current hotbed of prep talent, in the best conference in America. I can't help it if they won't pay (which I don't believe), but there are no other excuses, at least in comparison to the likes of Wake and VT and Marquette. Marquette probably has the best tradition of that entire group, plus they pay more because they don't have to pay a football coach and the basketball program is the school's sports revenue.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Traditions are similar.

Wake's tradition is Dave Odom, Randolph Childress, 2 years of CP3 and Timmay. Rodney Rogers sends his regards.

And ours is Goodfellas.

Even accepting the sarcasm, those are two pretty comparable program histories. Gambling v. two good players and a third that bailed early before his team could do anything.

It's not really sarcastic. There is nothing lasting or memorable about BC's basketball program outside of a small handful of guys who have had little to middling success in the NBA, a guy most people are unaware ever coached at BC and the Conte ghost. Crapping on Wake's tradition while failing to acknowledge ours somehow manages to be slightly inferior is disingenuous at best.

This is completely fair if you ignore all of the years prior to 1990.

Wakes tradition is terrible. Coaches alone at BC smoke Wake's tradition.

So we have a tradition as a stepping stone for coaches. I don't know what it means. But it's something.

From 1974-75 to 1990-91 BC went 274-225. During that same timeframe, Wake went 273-217. Take that back to a wholly arbitrary and randomly selected 1954-55 season, it's 556-411 for BC and 534-463 for Wake.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Original Big East Teams in the Final Four

Boston College - NEVER
Connecticut - 1999, 20004, 2009, 2011
Georgetown - 1943, 1982, 1984, 1985, 2007
Providence - 1973, 1987
St. John's - 1952, 1985
Seton Hall - 1989
Syracuse - 1975, 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013
Villanova - 1939, 1971*, 1985, 2009
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Traditions are similar.

Wake's tradition is Dave Odom, Randolph Childress, 2 years of CP3 and Timmay. Rodney Rogers sends his regards.

And ours is Goodfellas.

Even accepting the sarcasm, those are two pretty comparable program histories. Gambling v. two good players and a third that bailed early before his team could do anything.

It's not really sarcastic. There is nothing lasting or memorable about BC's basketball program outside of a small handful of guys who have had little to middling success in the NBA, a guy most people are unaware ever coached at BC and the Conte ghost. Crapping on Wake's tradition while failing to acknowledge ours somehow manages to be slightly inferior is disingenuous at best.

This is completely fair if you ignore all of the years prior to 1990.

Wakes tradition is terrible. Coaches alone at BC smoke Wake's tradition.

So we have a tradition as a stepping stone for coaches. I don't know what it means. But it's something.

From 1974-75 to 1990-91 BC went 274-225. During that same timeframe, Wake went 273-217. Take that back to a wholly arbitrary and randomly selected 1954-55 season, it's 556-411 for BC and 534-463 for Wake.

Fair enough. I was reading the media guide wrong because I am an idiot.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:57 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Original Big East Teams in the Final Four

Boston College - NEVER
Connecticut - 1999, 20004, 2009, 2011
Georgetown - 1943, 1982, 1984, 1985, 2007
Providence - 1973, 1987
St. John's - 1952, 1985
Seton Hall - 1989
Syracuse - 1975, 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013
Villanova - 1939, 1971*, 1985, 2009

Not sure how this bears on Wake's one appearance in Nineteen Dickety Two (actually, 1962). Are the UConn, Nova, Cuse and G'Town jobs open? Because then we are fucked.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm

I concede the argument. Your alma mater is a shitty destination for basketball coaches, it will never be good, it is as shitty as Wake (which is shitty) and you all proved it to me. Nice work.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So we have a tradition as a stepping stone for coaches. I don't know what it means. But it's something.

Gonna go out on a limb here, given the topic at hand, and speculate that it means BC is capable of getting good coaches.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So we have a tradition as a stepping stone for coaches. I don't know what it means. But it's something.

Gonna go out on a limb here, given the topic at hand, and speculate that it means BC is capable of getting good coaches.

in fairness, they're capable of getting bad ones too... especially as of late

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I concede the argument. Your alma mater is a shitty destination for basketball coaches, it will never be good, it is as shitty as Wake (which is shitty) and you all proved it to me. Nice work.

too late - i did this already, jerk.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

in fairness, they're capable of getting bad ones too... especially as of late

True. But he's the first real bad one since the mid 70s
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 pm

You forgot Auburn and likely also Marquette hiring better coaches. And if Mack goes to Wake, we will then have to play second-fiddle to Cincy. It's gotta be sobering for folks who at the start of the thread thought we were the best job available this year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I concede the argument. Your alma mater is a shitty destination for basketball coaches, it will never be good, it is as shitty as Wake (which is shitty) and you all proved it to me. Nice work.

too late - i did this already, jerk.

Your irony* inspired mine.

*onyxbomber approved usage
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

You forgot Auburn and likely also Marquette hiring better coaches. And if Mack goes to Wake, we will then have to play second-fiddle to Cincy. It's gotta be sobering for folks who at the start of the thread thought we were the best job available this year.

This thread was like the hjs bc misery bat signal
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's only assuming the environment is the same as it was 20 or so years ago. We're in a different conference, with a different AD, a different president, an extremely different college basketball environment etc. Not saying we cant get a good coach but looking to history that far back as being indicative of anything is weak.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:55 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's only assuming the environment is the same as it was 20 or so years ago. We're in a different conference, with a different AD, a different president, an extremely different college basketball environment etc. Not saying we cant get a good coach but looking to history that far back as being indicative of anything is weak.

Without denying that BC is in a different situation now than they have been for the past 45-50 years, BC as had few basketball coaching misses over that time. The one guy hired by GDF is about it, though the elders will tell you that JOB sucked for a while and underachieve with some decent talent until 1994.

Looking back at a history of hiring coaches is no weaker than saying BC cannot hire a good coach because the Wake and Marquette jobs are open.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

But return on investment.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:03 pm

jobias did suck at the start and that curley, eisley, huckaby, abram senior year was his first visit to the top half of the big east. it was also his 8th season.

if it wasn't for danya abrams' ass, jobias bc career would be looked at much differently than it is because of a random win over a dean smith carolina and bobby knight indiana
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

oh i remember this argument, was used extensively during the end of the barcALounger era

the rest of this thread? tl;dr
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:jobias did suck at the start and that curley, eisley, huckaby, abram senior year was his first visit to the top half of the big east. it was also his 8th season.

if it wasn't for danya abrams' ass, jobias bc career would be looked at much differently than it is because of a random win over a dean smith carolina and bobby knight indiana

That win over UNC is like JOB's Tim Duncan
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

oh i remember this argument, was used extensively during the end of the barcALounger era

the rest of this thread? tl;dr

Ignoring my idiocy regarding reading the press guide, my point is that Wake won two more games in 1962 to distinguish themselves from BC in terms of the NCAA tourney.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

(IMG) fish hook 1111!!! (/IMG)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Without denying that BC is in a different situation now than they have been for the past 45-50 years, BC as had few basketball coaching misses over that time. The one guy hired by GDF is about it, though the elders will tell you that JOB sucked for a while and underachieve with some decent talent until 1994.

Looking back at a history of hiring coaches is no weaker than saying BC cannot hire a good coach because the Wake and Marquette jobs are open.

Are we even arguing about anything at this point? I really feel like we're not but I can't stop typing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:jobias did suck at the start and that curley, eisley, huckaby, abram senior year was his first visit to the top half of the big east. it was also his 8th season.

That win over UNC is like JOB's Tim Duncan

except tim duncan is still remembered as a good player
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum