Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is BC the most attractive head coaching job available?

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Is it a good thing or a bad thing that the BC job is one of the best available this off-season?

On one hand, we should be able to get one of the best available coaches. On the other hand, a lack of other openings might make the best coaches decide to stay where they are for another year and hope that better programs open up in 2015.

I don't think too many coaches quit before they get the next job so I don't think that a Indiana opening (for instance) would dislodge a currently employed coach resulting in him missing the indiana job and coming to BC. Maybe I'm not thinking this through.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:HJS:

Without hedging or blaming the BOT or Leahy or Gene or Bates or anyone, tell us 1 coach you would hire if you were AD. Also predict who you think BC will hire.

I'll field that one. Mike Rice and Tim O'shea.

glad to see that you wrestled control back from the funny person posting under this screen name yesterday.

:chewbanka :chewbanka
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Without hedging or blaming the BOT or Leahy or Gene or Bates or anyone, tell us 1 coach you would hire if you were AD. Also predict who you think BC will hire.

glad to see that you wrestled control back from the funny person posting under this screen name yesterday.

:chewbanka :chewbanka

I think the rape room comment I omitted was a little funny. Next time maybe.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:25 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:Is it a good thing or a bad thing that the BC job is one of the best available this off-season?

On one hand, we should be able to get one of the best available coaches. On the other hand, a lack of other openings might make the best coaches decide to stay where they are for another year and hope that better programs open up in 2015.

I don't think too many coaches quit before they get the next job so I don't think that a Indiana opening (for instance) would dislodge a currently employed coach resulting in him missing the indiana job and coming to BC. Maybe I'm not thinking this through.

I'm just thinking of a coach who's at a mid major or a low mid major who is actively looking for another job. If that coach interviews at a baby rapist and doesn't get it, what if the school doesn't want to deal with a lame duck coach being unable to recruit and encourages him to move on.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:my statement still stands. b0mber has a better chance of enjoying heterosexual sex with a woman than bc does of finding jay wright as the head coach of its basketball team

You and I seem to be on the same page. But, shockingly, we seem to be among the elite few who remember other BC coaching searches.

I remember thinking that you're somehow even worse during a coaching search than you are the rest of the time. Does that count for anything?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 pm

No one is ignoring reality at BC. I said spend the cash and pay Jay Wright. That doesn't mean I think they will spend the cash, it means that Jay Wright would leave Nova in a heartbeat for the ACC for the same money and it isn't even a question.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:50 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'd hire Tom Izzo if I had a blank check.
Assuming you meant who we could realistically get for VT/UVA type money? I'd have already hired Bruce. But, of the candidates still available, I'd focus on Wright, Howland, Smart, Dixon, Crean. Of that group, I'd say Wright is the most attainable (we're not poaching another ACC school or even a B10 coach about to be fired). That leaves Wright, Smart and Howland. So much would depend on the interview. But, my guess is that Smart and Wright offers more than Ben in terms of excitement and youth. Between Wright and Smart, I think you go with Wright because he is a proven recruiter. I'd be happy with any of these names.

I've predicted the low-level guys I think we will decide among. None are terribly inspiring. I think the most likely, Addazio-like hire is Amaker.

So, of the realistic choices still remaining, I'd pick Wright. Of the ho-hum names that BC will explore, I think BC picks Amaker (and that is giving them somewhat of the benefit of a doubt to at least not totally go cheap).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:04 pm

can anyone explain the reason why any of those people would take a step back and coach at a worse program than their current position affords them? don't say "acc" because that's nospace level retarded.

i'm honestly curious why jay wright or shaka smart would leave a place with fans that follow and support their team... the team most important to the school (ie - limited football and no hockey) to come to a ghost town where you're #3 in the pecking order?

if someone can provide a reasonable explaination then i'll accept your throwing up what i view as ridiculous suggestions. if you cannot i will read all of your posts suggesting these nonsensical "targets" as if you wrote "i like to suck penis and accept penis into my backside at the same time"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:can anyone explain the reason why any of those people would take a step back and coach at a worse program than their current position affords them? don't say "acc" because that's nospace level retarded.

i'm honestly curious why jay wright or shaka smart would leave a place with fans that follow and support their team... the team most important to the school (ie - limited football and no hockey) to come to a ghost town where you're #3 in the pecking order?

if someone can provide a reasonable explaination then i'll accept your throwing up what i view as ridiculous suggestions. if you cannot i will read all of your posts suggesting these nonsensical "targets" as if you wrote "i like to suck penis and accept penis into my backside at the same time"

So, basically the same thing that your long-repressed urges make you hear every time you talk to another man?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:39 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:can anyone explain the reason why any of those people would take a step back and coach at a worse program than their current position affords them? don't say "acc" because that's nospace level retarded.

So, basically the same thing that your long-repressed urges make you hear every time you talk to another man?

don't push your gay shit on me, hillbilly
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:40 pm

basketball will be the #1 sport on campus when coach Howland has a healthy Clifford to work with.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I wonder if basketball would be more popular if the students could figure out an appropriate time to tell a player on the other team that he sucks at life and also sucks at some aspect of playing basketball.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Don't look at me. ATL asked me to suspend reality and come up with a list of non-shitty names.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 pm

I get that basketball has never and likely will never be #1 at BC...but let's not pretend that people never followed basketball. Back in the Big East days there was plenty of support. Not Duke support. Not Syracuse support. But more than enough support.

Hockey never really had much support either until after 2008. Then the student flooded in and haven't stopped coming since. They fill 5+ sections regularly for hockey. The BC basketball ghosts never really showed up until we put together 5 consecutive worthless seasons.

Down play the conference affiliation all you want but it is truly something these guys consider.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:38 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I get that basketball has never and likely will never be #1 at BC...but let's not pretend that people never followed basketball. Back in the Big East days there was plenty of support. Not Duke support. Not Syracuse support. But more than enough support.

Hockey never really had much support either until after 2008. Then the student flooded in and haven't stopped coming since. They fill 5+ sections regularly for hockey. The BC basketball ghosts never really showed up until we put together 5 consecutive worthless seasons.

Down play the conference affiliation all you want but it is truly something these guys consider.

doesn't that hurt?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I get that basketball has never and likely will never be #1 at BC...but let's not pretend that people never followed basketball. Back in the Big East days there was plenty of support. Not Duke support. Not Syracuse support. But more than enough support.

doesn't that hurt?

That's fine. I'm sure you have a lot more experience with it than me.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby mod6A on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:14 pm

jay wright is philly local. if he leaves, its for a huge payday for the 76ers, collects his money for 3-4 years, then retires to tv/skincare commericials.

:whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:13 pm

BC is not an attractive job. Bates needs to put some lipstick and makeup ($$$) on this dog to make make it better looking to coaches on the hunt to score.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Despite what the bunghole champion may say, an ACC position carries a lot of weight. Now if you're only willing to
pay for an Infinitni and reputation, then you're starting in a hole. But I do give some respect based on the fact that BC won't just overpay to make a splash. VT is not a better job, but they spent so that they could claim to be. Whether that returns dividends is a different story. Smart but aggressive is what I am looking for. Not convinced it will happen, but BB has surprised me before, so I agree with CAG that he gets the benefit of the doubt. For now.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:36 pm

This is epic fucking ib stupid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:36 am

How a coach views the desirability of a job.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketba ... lo/2171479
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:46 am

Serious question, Why do people think BC is an attractive job? I live and die with the hoops program and would like to believe its a good one. I cant ignore the fact that the facilities are some of the worst in the league, pay for coaches is one of the worst (especially when you throw in cost of living), and you have academic restrictions on who you can bring in.
Nate2651
n00b

Postby talon on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Nate2651 {l Wrote}:Serious question, Why do people think BC is an attractive job? I live and die with the hoops program and would like to believe its a good one. I cant ignore the fact that the facilities are some of the worst in the league, pay for coaches is one of the worst (especially when you throw in cost of living), and you have academic restrictions on who you can bring in.

Buzz Williams took a pay cut to coach at Virginia Tech. Why? Because Virginia Tech is in the ACC.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
Nate2651 {l Wrote}:Serious question, Why do people think BC is an attractive job? I live and die with the hoops program and would like to believe its a good one. I cant ignore the fact that the facilities are some of the worst in the league, pay for coaches is one of the worst (especially when you throw in cost of living), and you have academic restrictions on who you can bring in.

Buzz Williams took a pay cut to coach at Virginia Tech. Why? Because Virginia Tech is in the ACC.

So then is the answer the ACC? By the way, VT blows away BC with facilities
Nate2651
n00b

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Wait. So are we saying Buzz Williams would have taken the same paycut to coach BC? Did we not reach out to his agent? Are we hiring an even bigger fish?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:03 pm

For what it's worth, re: the appeal of the ACC for someone like Masiello, I've heard from someone who would know that both Pitino and Calipari tell young coaches that if you're a successful head coach at a mid-major or an assistant at a name program, you shouldn't move unless it's to one of the three or four top teams in a conference, unless it's a sleeping giant, like Indiana a few years ago. I've also heard that Coach K has told at least four different assistants that they shouldn't leave under any circumstances because "you could get this job when I retire."
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:For what it's worth, re: the appeal of the ACC for someone like Masiello, I've heard from someone who would know that both Pitino and Calipari tell young coaches that if you're a successful head coach at a mid-major or an assistant at a name program, you shouldn't move unless it's to one of the three or four top teams in a conference, unless it's a sleeping giant, like Indiana a few years ago. I've also heard that Coach K has told at least four different assistants that they shouldn't leave under any circumstances because "you could get this job when I retire."

Coach K has had this blacklist rule where his assistants basically were barred from taking ACC jobs for the longest time.

Calipari and Pitino also clearly have ulterior motives, they don't want to face their past coaches, thus they don't want them taking lower tiered jobs in their conferences.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Wait. So are we saying Buzz Williams would have taken the same paycut to coach BC? Did we not reach out to his agent? Are we hiring an even bigger fish?

"Would BC be willing to spend $2.3 million a year?"

and

"If BC was willing to spend $2.3 million a year, who could they get?"

are very different questions.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

and

I think the issue is intertwined. For the same reasons why BC won't consider paying a coach $2.3mm per year are the same reasons why a top coach has no interest in BC regardless of money.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

and

I think the issue is intertwined. For the same reasons why BC won't consider paying a coach $2.3mm per year are the same reasons why a top coach has no interest in BC regardless of money.

Logic box bitches
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum