New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 am

HJS wrote:
BC923 wrote:Howard Eisley is an assistant for the Knicks these days, is there any chance he might ever want to come back?

I think Eisley would take the job. So would Jared. We could do a hell of a lot worse than either of those guys. However, there is a significant question as to their ability to recruit and navigate the AAU scene.


I have no doubts about Jared Dudley's ability to navigate anything socially. I am not sure of his ability to do the other 95% of things head coches do, even though he clearly has an incredibly high Bball IQ and demonstrates a lot of leadership traits. He also loves BC (me too) and wouldn't leave, barring management/administrative fuckery
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: Ask campion or TRE.
Karma: 118

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby tallsy on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

Even Cluess, Dambrot, and Ray Harper would've been better than Jimmy Mac and they're not waiting for marque jobs.

Hoops should be an easier hire. The kids travel a lot so geographic disadvantages matter less.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am
Karma: 65

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Archie Miller said that his big brother always told him to hold out for a big time job. He would never have come to BC. There are other great young coaches, however, who would if you paid them $2 mil.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 502

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

For $2-3mm a year all up-and-coming coaches would take on BC (accept maybe 2 coaches). But, that's it. The reason is that (a) if they win at BC, they will be able to land any job in America and (b) they make bank while inflating their rep.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:48 pm

HJS wrote:For $2-3mm a year all up-and-coming coaches would take on BC (accept maybe 2 coaches). But, that's it. The reason is that (a) if they win at BC, they will be able to land any job in America and (b) they make bank while inflating their rep.


Said up-and-coming coaches could also end up failing spectacularly and consigning themselves back to the small conferences forever. Why take the BC job? Wait another year or two and get a job at a school that has non-worst-in-class facilities, fans who actually show up, etc. You think Archie Miller is kicking himself that he stayed a bit longer at Dayton? Donahue was an up-and-coming coach just a few years ago. He'll never sniff a power conference job again. BC didn't inflate his rep and his career earning potential plummeted. Have you and Epstein forgot we got rejected by Tommy Amaker? And that was after 5 years of basketball ineptitude, now we're at 8 and counting.
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Good college basketball coaches don't often contemplate their own failure
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29956
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2400

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm

twballgame9 wrote:Good college basketball coaches don't often contemplate their own failure


Then explain why Gregg Marshall isn't at Alabama and Archie Miller didn't make a pit stop at NC State. It would have been more money. It's risk aversion - why risk failing somewhere else when you can win where you are and get to the top just the same?
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Good college basketball coaches don't often contemplate their own failure


Then explain why Gregg Marshall isn't at Alabama and Archie Miller didn't make a pit stop at NC State. It would have been more money. It's risk aversion - why risk failing somewhere else when you can win where you are and get to the top just the same?


Explain Brian Gregory or Stan Heath. That cuts both ways. But far more guys are the opposite Few and the other names you mention. Brad Stevens took over a shit NBA squad (albeit moving in the right direction) when he could have sustained excellence at Butler until something like IU opened up, where he could have remained as long as he wanted. These guys assume they are going to win wherever they go. A few of them don't take the money or wait for the best spot, but that also backfires.

With the exception of a very few exceptions, BC could be in play for most mid major coaches du jour if they are willing to part with cash. Most will believe that can win in short order and that that will solve any recruiting/attendance issues. And they'd be right.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29956
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2400

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm

jhiggi02 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:With the exception of a very few exceptions, BC could be in play for most mid major coaches du jour if they are willing to part with cash. Most will believe that can win in short order and that that will solve any recruiting/attendance issues. And they'd be right.



Earlier you said that maybe Archie Miller or Chris Mack would have come to BC, and while anything could have theoretically happened I think the facts make it clear that it would have been highly unlikely for either to come to BC, but this is just pedantry at this point. Its neither here nor there.

Again, my qualms are not with the statement you just made, which I think is accurate. Successful coaches normally have enough self confidence that they think they can win almost anywhere, and most P5 schools are a great opportunity. I originally got involved in this because of the copious amounts of asshatery Epy displayed by pointing out 2 of the few exceptions out there when musing about who BC could/should have hired.** The point he is making is not wrong (so long as it is the same as your point), the examples he uses to make said point are just woefully inadequate and detract from it.

And to further bolster your point, I am sure that Buzz Williams would have looked long and hard at BC if they had made a run at him a few years back.

**Archie Miller Turned Down NCSU and apparently Pitt, Texas and Florida.

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2017/2/ ... e-hot-seat

**Chris Mack Turned Down Tennessee and California

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-spor ... ant-refuse


I'm fine with acknowledging exceptions to the rule, Few chief among them. That said, this is all a very recent development. Up until a few years ago, it would have been almost universal. The game has changed.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29956
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2400

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Donahue was an up and coming coach du-jour when BC hired him. At that point, BC was an attractive coaching destination.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 502

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm

My point was in reference to when we hired JC.

I still think BC could have Chris Mack for $3-$3.5 million
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15536
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -308

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 pm

2001Eagle wrote:Donahue was an up and coming coach du-jour when BC hired him. At that point, BC was an attractive coaching destination.


BC still is an attractive destination. It wouldn't take much for a real basketball coach to fix this basketball program
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15536
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -308

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:Donahue was an up and coming coach du-jour when BC hired him. At that point, BC was an attractive coaching destination.


BC still is an attractive destination. It wouldn't take much for a real basketball coach to fix this basketball program

Don failed miserably at BC and still wound up back in his feet in he Ivies holding a job much better than Cornell.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Good college basketball coaches don't often contemplate their own failure


Then explain why Gregg Marshall isn't at Alabama and Archie Miller didn't make a pit stop at NC State. It would have been more money. It's risk aversion - why risk failing somewhere else when you can win where you are and get to the top just the same?

Then explain why Miller took a job in the middle of nowhere for a school where his predecessor was successful but just not as successful as Bobby Knight (who they wound up firing because they thought they could do better). If Miller fails to live up to Indiana's unrealistic expectations, he never gets another shot at a major school.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Dayton is a great job where several coaches in succession have succeeded in the recent past. That was hardly a fixer upper when Archie took the job.

Failing at Indiana is very different from failing at BC. The last coaches to get fired from Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA, etc have all ended up back at mid/low tier power 5 jobs in short order and Crean will be no exception.
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 am

Make sure you tell that to Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Dan Dakich.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am

Two of those examples are completely fucktarded.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5086
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 607

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

flyingelvii wrote:Two of those examples are completely fucktarded.


What, you're not convinced yet that Archie would have come to BC for $3 million a year?
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

There are so many examples of guys that have failed and disappeared at programs better than BC that it isn't worth listing. Coaches don't think about this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 29956
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2400

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:01 pm

jhiggi02 wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:My point was in reference to when we hired JC.

I still think BC could have Chris Mack for $3-$3.5 million


You have to take off the maroon colored glasses.

Mack just turned down 4 mill from georgetown

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 62443374-4

"Georgetown put out strong feelers to Xavier's Chris Mack at $4 million per year, source told ESPN. Mack staying at Xavier."

Moving to GTown would honestly be a step down (even if GTown was his alma mater instead of Xavier).
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm

jhiggi02 wrote:
HJS wrote:
jhiggi02 wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:My point was in reference to when we hired JC.

I still think BC could have Chris Mack for $3-$3.5 million


You have to take off the maroon colored glasses.

Mack just turned down 4 mill from georgetown

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 62443374-4

"Georgetown put out strong feelers to Xavier's Chris Mack at $4 million per year, source told ESPN. Mack staying at Xavier."

Moving to GTown would honestly be a step down (even if GTown was his alma mater instead of Xavier).


As would coming to BC. He can stay at Xavier and keep winning while holding out for a top job.

The difference is the conference. As much as Leahy has purposely destroyed the athletic department, it has yet to be temple'd out of the ACC. If BC ever wanted to take sports seriously, being in the best BB conference (and it ain't even close) allows them a much better chance to land an elite coach than any Big East school. This is all hypothetical as long as the BOT allows Leahy to ruin sports.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:23 pm

jhiggi02 wrote:
HJS wrote:The difference is the conference. As much as Leahy has purposely destroyed the athletic department, it has yet to be temple'd out of the ACC. If BC ever wanted to take sports seriously, being in the best BB conference (and it ain't even close) allows them a much better chance to land an elite coach than any Big East school. This is all hypothetical as long as the BOT allows Leahy to ruin sports.


Holy smokes HJS, obviously, just as was outlined above by my discussion with TW . Just like its obvious that as currently constituted, BC is a much worse and riskier job for Mack to take than the one he has right now at Xavier.

Of course it currently is with Leahy actively trying to destroy athletics. However, in the hypothetical that BC suddenly cared about being competitive and willing to pay $3mm plus assistants (perhaps because Leahy is gone because of health or defrocking)... BC instantly becomes an exponentially better program than anything in the Big East.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:46 pm

HJS wrote:
jhiggi02 wrote:
HJS wrote:The difference is the conference. As much as Leahy has purposely destroyed the athletic department, it has yet to be temple'd out of the ACC. If BC ever wanted to take sports seriously, being in the best BB conference (and it ain't even close) allows them a much better chance to land an elite coach than any Big East school. This is all hypothetical as long as the BOT allows Leahy to ruin sports.


Holy smokes HJS, obviously, just as was outlined above by my discussion with TW . Just like its obvious that as currently constituted, BC is a much worse and riskier job for Mack to take than the one he has right now at Xavier.

Of course it currently is with Leahy actively trying to destroy athletics. However, in the hypothetical that BC suddenly cared about being competitive and willing to pay $3mm plus assistants (perhaps because Leahy is gone because of health or defrocking)... BC instantly becomes an exponentially better program than anything in the Big East.


It's the above
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15536
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -308

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 am

eepstein0 wrote:
HJS wrote:
jhiggi02 wrote:
HJS wrote:The difference is the conference. As much as Leahy has purposely destroyed the athletic department, it has yet to be temple'd out of the ACC. If BC ever wanted to take sports seriously, being in the best BB conference (and it ain't even close) allows them a much better chance to land an elite coach than any Big East school. This is all hypothetical as long as the BOT allows Leahy to ruin sports.


Holy smokes HJS, obviously, just as was outlined above by my discussion with TW . Just like its obvious that as currently constituted, BC is a much worse and riskier job for Mack to take than the one he has right now at Xavier.

Of course it currently is with Leahy actively trying to destroy athletics. However, in the hypothetical that BC suddenly cared about being competitive and willing to pay $3mm plus assistants (perhaps because Leahy is gone because of health or defrocking)... BC instantly becomes an exponentially better program than anything in the Big East.


It's the above

acc > villanova and the other members of their cute little conference
Tom Dooder wrote: If [anthony brown's] performance made you nervous, you're a fucking pussy...
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20518
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5676

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 am

Jay Wright would be the coach at BC for $3 million a year
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:Jay Wright would be the coach at BC for $3 million a year

But not Brian Gregory. He would never leave Dayton.
Gov. Romney, when you were asked what is the biggest geopolitical foe facing America, you said Russia. And the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. The Cold War has been over for 20 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowhUWl6rxQ
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13634
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 206

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:00 am

HJS wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:Jay Wright would be the coach at BC for $3 million a year

But not Brian Gregory. He would never leave Dayton.


Brian Gregory's record of success at Dayton is comparable to the achievements of Gregg Marshall, Archie Miller, Chris Mack, and Jay Wright at their respective schools!
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 am

wait - has glacier been campion all this time?
Tom Dooder wrote: If [anthony brown's] performance made you nervous, you're a fucking pussy...
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 20518
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5676

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:wait - has glacier been campion all this time?


I like Funishment. Always have.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3768
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 138

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Image
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Untitled document