New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am

He's definitely under the radar, but he's a proven winner.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:25 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:He's definitely under the radar, but he's a proven winner.

I thought he was just a football coach?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How much money do you think BC hoop actually makes on tickets?

not enough to "cover" the scholarships

Not enough to cover anything in that dump. Tickets are not meaningless, but close.

I've never understood why people think ticket sales are a huge source of revenue. Maybe back in the dicketys when Dr. Jack Ryan wooed lasses with his onion belt.

you're right - all schools... carolina, rcc, bc, etc. should just light their ticket money on fire because it's meaningless and no one should care what people are willing to pay to watch

Yes, Conte Forum ... Dean Dome, very similar. Very similar in that ticket sales are borderline meaningless, but with a very large gap in degree.

BC's ticket revenue is probably 8-10 times more meaningless than UNC's. But until the TV gets uninvented, meaningless.

i read the prick's message as "ticker revenue doesn't matter to anyone, anywhere" which is what garnered my response.

and we only need to uninvent espn, not television in general drama queen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:... Pedo St.? ... It is arguably more difficult to recruit there than at BC...

based on what, mrs. s?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:He's definitely under the radar, but he's a proven winner.

Do you not see the basketball in his hands? Geez
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Spaz liked to play baseball doesn't mean he was a baseball coach.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Spaz liked to play baseball doesn't mean he was a baseball coach.

Hingham High begs to differ.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:... Pedo St.? ... It is arguably more difficult to recruit there than at BC...

based on what, mrs. s?

My opinion, that's all. They've never really had much a basketball program. It gets no money and no attention. I'd imagine if you want to play in the Big Ten and you are from PA, you probably go with OSU or MSU. The Philly guys stay local with Villanova or Temple. Not claiming to be a recruiting H00pz W31rd0.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

You're thinking of Coach Lenny Chimp. This is Coach Kenny Chimp.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

You're thinking of Coach Lenny Chimp. This is Coach Kenny Chimp.

In Mrs. S's defense, others gets those two confused as well.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How much money do you think BC hoop actually makes on tickets?

not enough to "cover" the scholarships

Not enough to cover anything in that dump. Tickets are not meaningless, but close.

I've never understood why people think ticket sales are a huge source of revenue. Maybe back in the dicketys when Dr. Jack Ryan wooed lasses with his onion belt.

you're right - all schools... carolina, rcc, bc, etc. should just light their ticket money on fire because it's meaningless and no one should care what people are willing to pay to watch

Yes, Conte Forum ... Dean Dome, very similar. Very similar in that ticket sales are borderline meaningless, but with a very large gap in degree.

BC's ticket revenue is probably 8-10 times more meaningless than UNC's. But until the TV gets uninvented, meaningless.

i read the prick's message as "ticker revenue doesn't matter to anyone, anywhere" which is what garnered my response.

and we only need to uninvent espn, not television in general drama queen

teddy's post meant more of what you interepreted mine to say than my own. But you already knew that from Coach Ratface dropping dimes at your mall kiosk.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm

-Short List-
Lonergan (perhaps)
Hopkins (approve)
Cooley (somewhat approve)
Amaker (good for our situation)
Schmidt (no thanks)
Gruden (he would only recruit QB's)
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:54 pm

They didn't need to land Alcindor (although it was apparently his second choice behind UCLA). If Bob Lanier isn't tripped by Chris Ford up 30 in the Final 8, they smoke Jacksonville by 20 (they lost by 6 without Lanier and his 25+ points and 20+ rebounds per game) and pound the UCLA team that was between Alcindor and Walton. John Wooden admitted as much when he said "They were the #1 team in the country for a reason. No one could handle Lanier."

Getting out of the way, why the fixation on Hopkins? It isn't as if Syracuse is considered a superbly coached team. To some extent, Boeheim deserves a place on the Mount Rushmore of coaches who did very little with an embarrassment of riches next to John Thompson, Dean Smith and Blubberin' Roy Williams. I have heard people say that Hopkins is a great recruiter--not that he is an x and o genius. Well, how hard is it to recruit at Syracuse. They had some ridiculously loaded teams in the 80s and early 90s (that couldn't win the big one) before Hopkins was anything other than the dorky back up guard sitting at the end of the bench or a journeyman CBA player. Point is, the idea that Hopkins is special seems ridiculous to me.

As I said, my first choice would be Howland. Not sure who would be next but I think Schmidt would be more than a "courtesy interview".
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:56 pm

BC Hoops authority innocentbystander (love his HOT TAKES) has given the official criteria on BCI:

The resume MUST include…

Previous head coaching experience for a large, state university with high expectations for wins
A track record of top blue-chip recruiting
A minimum of 3 NCAA tournament wins (collectively, all career) in his previous head coaching jobs
A willingness to work for less than $1m a year and sign a contract for no more than 3 years (if he can’t get it done, just let the contract run out)

That is a tall order, and I want it all. Anything less than this, I will be disappointed. Brad, go get him.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:57 pm

i'm excited by nospace's post because it's going to make huang all mad
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:BC Hoops authority innocentbystander (love his HOT TAKES) has given the official criteria on BCI:

The resume MUST include…

Previous head coaching experience for a large, state university with high expectations for wins
A minimum of 3 NCAA tournament wins (collectively, all career) in his previous head coaching jobs
A willingness to work for less than $1m a year and sign a contract for no more than 3 years (if he can’t get it done, just let the contract run out)

That is a tall order, and I want it all. Anything less than this, I will be disappointed. Brad, go get him.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:51 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:BC Hoops authority innocentbystander (love his HOT TAKES) has given the official criteria on BCI:

The resume MUST include…

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Which candidates have hot wives?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 pm

I think that's a great list of criteria. If Bates can get Howland or Donovan or Sean Miller (but not Krzyzewski or Stevens or Few because they have no state school experience) to sign a three-year deal worth $1 million in Eagle Bucks, he should definitely consider it.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Damn, IB is spitting hot fires of truth today. Claver, please let him know that Murt is willing to ban TRE if it will get Board Treasure back to his rightful home.

Jameis Winston
There was allegations here too, but that all turned out to be nothing more than consentual sex where the pretty girl later “regretted” what she did with the Heisman candidate (after the whole school learned about it.) This is what happens when we no longer “shame” for sex outside of marriage. You gets lots and lots of these “alleged” assaults happening which turn out to be nothing more than regret on the part of the one “alleging”.

What you really want SVT is to recruit players that aren’t willing to have sex outside of marriage no matter what. We have one school that has that kind of an honor code and they are in upper Utah not Chestnut Hill Massachusetts.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:09 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Getting out of the way, why the fixation on Hopkins? It isn't as if Syracuse is considered a superbly coached team. To some extent, Boeheim deserves a place on the Mount Rushmore of coaches who did very little with an embarrassment of riches next to John Thompson, Dean Smith and Blubberin' Roy Williams. I have heard people say that Hopkins is a great recruiter--not that he is an x and o genius. Well, how hard is it to recruit at Syracuse.

I have to imagine recruiting to Syracuse isn't as easy as recruiting to, say, Florida or UCLA. Boeheim became the head coach when the prior coach left for Tulane- a move that would never happen today. Although they're an established power now, I think it's fair to credit Boeheim will building the program to that point. Hopkins didn't get there until the mid-90s though, so he definitely came into a good situation recruiting-wise.

I'm just wary of anyone who's been an assistant this long and never left for another job. How do we know he can coach or run a program?
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Mike Hopkins has been observing Jim Boehim coach since 1989. as a result, he has most likely learned everything he knows from a legend. I would imagine Hopkins to be prepared the way Boehim is prepared, recruit in the manner and pattern that he recruits and has been to championship(s) and has some experience getting through the tournament. sounds like he's worth a shot.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm a pass on Hopkins so long as there are candidates like Howland, Capel and Lonergan out there.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Mike Hopkins has been observing Jim Boehim coach since 1989. as a result, he has most likely learned everything he knows from a legend. I would imagine Hopkins to be prepared the way Boehim is prepared, recruit in the manner and pattern that he recruits and has been to championship(s) and has some experience getting through the tournament. sounds like he's worth a shot.

In situations like this, there is often a good reason why the guy has never moved up to a top spot. Some guys are just born to be #2.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Mike Hopkins has been observing Jim Boehim coach since 1989. as a result, he has most likely learned everything he knows from a legend. I would imagine Hopkins to be prepared the way Boehim is prepared, recruit in the manner and pattern that he recruits and has been to championship(s) and has some experience getting through the tournament. sounds like he's worth a shot.

In situations like this, there is often a good reason why the guy has never moved up to a top spot. Some guys are just born to be #2.

He waited his turn but the loyal soldier and Jersey Boy afficianado was rewarded with a plague of bumps in the road...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Bonus:

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:32 pm

It is interesting to see who get's interviews.

But I sincerely hope we consider Jeff Capel. He is still young, he was the guy who was able to bring VCU back to the NCAA after a decade of missing out and built the foundation that Shaka Smart (who is the #1 guy BC should be pushing for, but there is literally no shot there) has used to create even more success, he recruits well and has experience under a college basketball legend. He got screwed by Sampson at Oklahoma and I think the past 3 year under Coach K will do wonders for him.

If we don't at least interview the guy we missed out.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

this is a good point, but I think like pedro said, it's probably because he's been told he's the coach in waiting whenever Boehim steps down... which he has shown no signs of slowing down.

I also like the Capel idea. Howland is on his own tier.

I would have to say:

FIRST TIER: Howland
-
-
-
-
Second Tier
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

this is a good point, but I think like pedro said, it's probably because he's been told he's the coach in waiting whenever Boehim steps down...

"Coach in Waiting" very often means "Will Never Be a Good Head Coach", especially one that is willing to wait for a long time.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum