New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:thamel just tweeted he's coming back

I'm going to take a weird angle at this.

If BC is seriously going to devote the financial resources (including facilities) towards basketball, then it isn't awful news.

going to need concrete examples of this. the above language screams 'it'll never happen' in academia speak
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I guess we don't have clout after all.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:08 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
going to need concrete examples of this. the above language screams 'it'll never happen' in academia speak

Exactly. Let's see them commit to some details.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Free tacos now come with with guacamole.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Free tacos now come with with guacamole.

third veggie
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Marty Jarmond is suffering through the consequences of his own making. He extended Jimmy Mac. He is now realizing that his multimillion decision has real ramifications. The announcement of James Christian returning to coach BC for the 2019-2020 season came a year ago when he signed his extension.

I’ve said this before, but Jarmond was all-in on Jimmy Mac. A lot of talk about Martin knowing basketball… about it being his sport… about how he sees the program is on real good footing and moving in the right direction. I think his decision to extend was based on his naiveté. He bought into the “can’t recruit without a deal” world and didn’t want to be an impediment to the program making the next step. He greatly misjudged.

The idea that a coach “needs” to have a 4-year deal to recruit is a fallacy perpetuated by agents who have EVERY pecuniary interest to have the myth believed. It is particularly ridiculous in a sport like basketball (where players never stay 4 years, coaches are constantly changing and recruits’ handlers are bribed handsomely). Nonetheless, Marty acted like other ADs would act and gave Christian more years. The problem is that BC isn’t any other Power 5 school. Other Power 5 programs would throw money at JC to go away so the school can turn the page. Fr. Leahy, however, is simply holding Jarmond responsible for his actions. It will make his job harder to fundraise and ultimately to land another gig (after overseeing a terrible BB program). I think this likely has come as a shock for MJ (sales guys always run from accountability).

The impact of this non-news is small. We will suffer yet another year of apathy towards a sport which we have been irrelevant for a decade. The bigger concern is that Jarmond so greatly misevaluated the sport which he claims expertise. If he can’t figure that out BB, how will he fix football? If he is surprised at the Jesuits being cheap (note BC was the only school voting against paying athletes), what kind of due diligence can we expect him to do in a search? The very slight silver lining… he seemed to timely learn his lesson and made sure that Daz did not get an additional buyout with his extension.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Marty Jarmond is suffering through the consequences of his own making. He extended Jimmy Mac. He is now realizing that his multimillion decision has real ramifications. The announcement of James Christian returning to coach BC for the 2019-2020 season came a year ago when he signed his extension.

I’ve said this before, but Jarmond was all-in on Jimmy Mac. A lot of talk about Martin knowing basketball… about it being his sport… about how he sees the program is on real good footing and moving in the right direction. I think his decision to extend was based on his naiveté. He bought into the “can’t recruit without a deal” world and didn’t want to be an impediment to the program making the next step. He greatly misjudged.

The idea that a coach “needs” to have a 4-year deal to recruit is a fallacy perpetuated by agents who have EVERY pecuniary interest to have the myth believed. It is particularly ridiculous in a sport like basketball (where players never stay 4 years, coaches are constantly changing and recruits’ handlers are bribed handsomely). Nonetheless, Marty acted like other ADs would act and gave Christian more years. The problem is that BC isn’t any other Power 5 school. Other Power 5 programs would throw money at JC to go away so the school can turn the page. Fr. Leahy, however, is simply holding Jarmond responsible for his actions. It will make his job harder to fundraise and ultimately to land another gig (after overseeing a terrible BB program). I think this likely has come as a shock for MJ (sales guys always run from accountability).

The impact of this non-news is small. We will suffer yet another year of apathy towards a sport which we have been irrelevant for a decade. The bigger concern is that Jarmond so greatly misevaluated the sport which he claims expertise. If he can’t figure that out BB, how will he fix football? If he is surprised at the Jesuits being cheap (note BC was the only school voting against paying athletes), what kind of due diligence can we expect him to do in a search? The very slight silver lining… he seemed to timely learn his lesson and made sure that Daz did not get an additional buyout with his extension.

He gave an extension to a guy who won 7 ACC games with a Lottery Pick & Ky Bowman. Not smart.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm

“We looked in the mirror, and I just asked Jim, ‘What are some things that are really going to help us get to the next level and be more consistently competitive?’ ” Jarmond said. “And we talked about strength and conditioning, we talked about nutrition, we talked about travel.

“So I’m going to work with him, but I’ve gotten commitments already secured to enhance those areas.

“We’re going to have additional personnel in strength and conditioning to help our men’s basketball program. We’re going to have some additional personnel to help with the development and wellness of our guys. We’re going to put over six figures into our locker room this offseason just to put a nutrition area in our locker room to help any nutritional needs for our guys.

“I’m going to increase the recruiting budget so we’re going to have more to where our assistant coaches and Jim can travel and get to different tournaments, because we’re not satisfied and we want to do better and we’re going to do better.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm

A lot of times when you're not satisfied you fire the coach.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 pm

WTF, strength/conditioning and nutrition are not the reasons he has 5 non-ACC scholarship players.

Edit: What's Jimmy Mac supposed to say? The reasons he gave are all reasons that cast blame on anyone but himself or his staff. Fucking hilarious.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
“We looked in the mirror, and I just asked Jim, ‘What are some things that are really going to help us get to the next level and be more consistently competitive?’ ” Jarmond said. “And we talked about strength and conditioning, we talked about nutrition, we talked about travel.

“So I’m going to work with him, but I’ve gotten commitments already secured to enhance those areas.

“We’re going to have additional personnel in strength and conditioning to help our men’s basketball program. We’re going to have some additional personnel to help with the development and wellness of our guys. We’re going to put over six figures into our locker room this offseason just to put a nutrition area in our locker room to help any nutritional needs for our guys.

“I’m going to increase the recruiting budget so we’re going to have more to where our assistant coaches and Jim can travel and get to different tournaments, because we’re not satisfied and we want to do better and we’re going to do better.”

This conversation never happened.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:WTF, strength/conditioning and nutrition are not the reasons he has 5 non-ACC scholarship players.

Edit: What's Jimmy Mac supposed to say? The reasons he gave are all reasons that cast blame on anyone but himself or his staff. Fucking hilarious.

What is the travel issue?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I give Jarmond credit, he didn't waste anytime coming up with a creative excuse as to why we retained Jimmy MAC. He didn't say "I have to deal with a President who hates sports and is hamstringing our ability to be competitive in any athletic endeavor. There is a reason Marquette alums threw a fucking parade when he sashayed out of Milwaukee. I thought I could get him excited about seeing scantily clad young men running around, but they are going to do it whether they are 15-18 or 27-6, so it was no factor. Plus, with McCarrick going down (so to speak), he is being more circumspect about getting "excited" over any men's athletic event."

Instead, he recycled Jack Swarbrick's excuses for retaining Brian Kelly. At least that worked out somewhat for Notre Dame. Even when it comes to retaining shitty coaches who ought to be fired we are going to come out second best to Our Lady of the Corn Fields.

I really am starting to hate BC. In my mind, I always in Olean.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

You could fire Jim for a start that would certainly help the program if you were being totally honest with that review.

Jarmond is obsessed with these nutrition stations. What's up with that?

Marty it is always better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Here is another question, what is the "next level" from where we are? Playing .500 basketball? Making an NIT? Losing a tight came to Jeff Capel and Pitt instead of getting drubbed in the ACC Tournament? Just want to know what sort of shit sandwich Salesy J is trying to feed me.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Iggle on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:21 pm

4 vitamixes and a 30 gallon drum of whey and this team is sweet sixteen bound
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm

This many years of irrelevance is tough to take. I'm starting to forget why I cared in the first place
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The above is not the reason your basketball team sucks. Recruiting Luka, Mez, VBJ and Wilson Jr are the reason your team sucks.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm

What’s worse?
A. Jarmond thinks JC and his staff are good people who have the program headed in the right direction, or
B. Jarmond thought that BC would fire a coach months after giving him a major financial commitment

If it is A, it calls into question MJ’s ability to hire a coach. All objective analytics say that Jimmy Mac hasn’t gotten it done and likely won’t. Jarmond being seemingly overwhelmed by his “good guy” charm would be of major concern.

If it is B, it calls into question MJ’s competency. How could he possibly be so oblivious to the fact that BC is cheap and wouldn’t whimsically bailout Marty on a multimillion dollar mistake?

I think B is worse and would show someone who is so clueless that I wouldn’t want them making any hires. Accordingly, the more I think about this, the more I believe that JC was never being fired this year. Whether or not he coached a 6th season was a decision made 12 months ago. There were no feelers, no financial gathering of Board committees, no assistants being told to leave... nothing. This “OMG WE NEED JC FIRED!!!” was never much more than phantom hysteria generated by the 7 fans who still follow BC BB. Jarmond made the decision to keep JC based on a strong season last year at a time they thought Robinson would return. While he probably genuinely likes the staff, I think there could also be an element to more needing to be done (support-wise) to land a much bigger fish. So, last year, the decision to give JC 2 more seasons also bided time to get necessary concrete plans in place.

I wouldn’t have hired JC, extended him or kept him, but...
Dispassionately, putting aside the horrific finish to the season, I think that, if Bowman returns (and be should), this team is the most talented roster we’ve had since Dudley left.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Or maybe Jarmond asked what his budget was, realized he wasn't getting an upgrade at that price, and determined it would be more harmful to switch than stay.

Sometimes it's simple

Jimmy Mac's trend is slow but winning and recruiting are INCHING upward over time
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby miutbc on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:What’s worse?
A. Jarmond thinks JC and his staff are good people who have the program headed in the right direction, or
B. Jarmond thought that BC would fire a coach months after giving him a major financial commitment

If it is A, it calls into question MJ’s ability to hire a coach. All objective analytics say that Jimmy Mac hasn’t gotten it done and likely won’t. Jarmond being seemingly overwhelmed by his “good guy” charm would be of major concern.

If it is B, it calls into question MJ’s competency. How could he possibly be so oblivious to the fact that BC is cheap and wouldn’t whimsically bailout Marty on a multimillion dollar mistake?

I think B is worse and would show someone who is so clueless that I wouldn’t want them making any hires. Accordingly, the more I think about this, the more I believe that JC was never being fired this year. Whether or not he coached a 6th season was a decision made 12 months ago. There were no feelers, no financial gathering of Board committees, no assistants being told to leave... nothing. This “OMG WE NEED JC FIRED!!!” was never much more than phantom hysteria generated by the 7 fans who still follow BC BB. Jarmond made the decision to keep JC based on a strong season last year at a time they thought Robinson would return. While he probably genuinely likes the staff, I think there could also be an element to more needing to be done (support-wise) to land a much bigger fish. So, last year, the decision to give JC 2 more seasons also bided time to get necessary concrete plans in place.

I wouldn’t have hired JC, extended him or kept him, but...
Dispassionately, putting aside the horrific finish to the season, I think that, if Bowman returns (and be should), this team is the most talented roster we’ve had since Dudley left.

agree with most but next yr will be worse. this guy's a clown. literally, what does he have to do to get fired. what other p5 would put up with this garbage. we're miles from making the ncca tourny
miutbc
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 pm

The level of stupid on this board is "jim christian"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 am

The "most talented team since Dudley" line has been thrown out about ~5 different teams since Dudley left. Spoiler alert: they all sucked.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:25 am

St. Joe’s canned Phil Martelli yesterday. Martelli spent 34 years there as an assistant and head coach, took them to an Elite 8 and a couple of Sweet 16s, made the tournament three years ago and legitimately had his roster decimated by injuries the last two years.

The moral of the story is that our problems are not a Jesuit problem. Our problems are a uniquely BC/Father Leahy problem that will not be fixed until he sashays off to retirement. In the meantime you are all making a major miscalculation if you attend BC athletic events or give money to the school.

Salesy J, is just a talented bullshit artist who never in his wildest dreams imagined that there could be someone as myopic and stupid as Leahy when it comes to college athletics. He should have talked to folks from Marquette—a Jesuit school whose athletic fortunes skyrocketed when Leahy left—or done some due diligence. But that is the problem with a salesman versus a CEO/Operations type. The CEO would never take the job in the first place because he understands the job can’t be done. The sales guy takes the gig because it’s more prestigious then what he has and he figures everything is negotiable. About the only thing that will be entertaining about BC athletics for the foreseeable future is watching the Salesy J—BC divorce that must come unless Salesy J wants to go down with this ship.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:27 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:The "most talented team since Dudley" line has been thrown out about ~5 different teams since Dudley left. Spoiler alert: they all sucked.

Even with Bowman they're going to suck. Without Bowman, they're really going to suck.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:4 vitamixes and a 30 gallon drum of whey and this team is sweet sixteen bound

I’ve been saying they need to put a plantain tree in the locker room for at least five years now, maybe it can help rebound too
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Manny on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

Jarmond knows he won't get the money to fire the two most prominent coaches (sorry Jerry) in the same calendar year. He's saving his ammo for the one he dislikes both professionally and personally.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am

If Jim wants to keep his job after this year he needs to get rid of the wasted roster spots on this team.The whole 2017 recruiting class needs to move on besides Mitchell. If I had to look up their stats id say Wilson, Baker, and Kralwhatever averaged a combined two points all together all year or something close to that. Also, Reyes looked the part but hasnt done anything in his 3.5 seasons here so hopefully he doesnt get asked back for his 5th year. Bowman isn't even on a few mocks in the 2nd round out there so unless hes ok with the g league or the Euro leagues then he should come back if he was smart. We are currently at 15 scholarships going into next year so we need to trim that number by 2 before the start of the season. Felder, Rishwain, and Heath all look good and will get a lot of minutes but we need still need more like some type of 5th year guy to even be close to going over .500 next year.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 am

well looks like wake couldn't come to an agreement on teh buyout and manning is sticking around for another year (believe he is signed for 5 more years :laugh )
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 am

Vandy firing Bryce Drew, another Eddie Fogler masterstroke, after an 0-18 season.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum