New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Oh yes, Kent State, the best MAC school of the last 20 years. And the program he inherited from not one, but two coaches who actually built it into the MAC power it already was when JC took over.

I love the Schmidt hatred. Showing some of these posts to a former PAC-10 player who is laughing his ass off at the notion that BC fans aren’t interested in a guy who is on the verge of going to back to back tournaments at Saint Bonnies with two different rosters and two different set of star players.

Jim Fucking O’Brien ended up in an Elite 8 at BC, not to mention a Final Four at OSU and his Bonaventure coaching resume isn’t one tenth as impressive as Schmidt’s—and O’Brien had the good fortune to inherit a program that had won an NIT and made an NCAA appearance within the previous four and two years respectively, as well as two players who would play at least a year in the NBA.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm

His best teams were in Years 4 and 6 at Kent State, when he would have had his own players. I eagerly await your attempt of mental gymnastics.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I DON’T want Schmidt. He might be an upgrade over JC but he won’t be able to compete in the ACC either.

There are plenty of good coaches we can get even if we aren’t willing to pay what we should. Unfortunately we are nonetheless stuck with Christian for at least another year. If Jarmond was adamant about a coaching change he’d get it. It’s Jarmond as much as it is Leahy. Jarmond’s lack of experience hiring and firing coaches is coming back to haunt us.

Schmidt and Coen are no different than our current coach. You might as well just keep JC if you’re going to go this route.

The A10 or CAA is a totally different animal than the ACC. Go poach a Big East Coach or Thad Matta.

Those of you who don’t live in a Boston or attend almost every game don’t get what a mess this program has become.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:01 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:His best teams were in Years 4 and 6 at Kent State, when he would have had his own players. I eagerly await your attempt of mental gymnastics.

Don’t worry retard, at least you are consistently a fuck nut moron. I’ll make this so simple even a chimp like you can follow. Query: What is harder, to take a program with a slew of tournament appearances, no NCAA issues, that has a competitive advantage in terms of history and facilities vis a vis the rest of its conference (with perhaps the exception of one program), is in a location that is not any less desirable than any of its conference competitors, with an actual desirability advantage over at least 80 percent of the rest of its conference or taking over a program that has utterly collapsed to the point that the school is considering shutting it down, playing in a conference where it is far and away the weakest program, both in terms of results and funding, in a location that is less desirable than any other team in the conference, at a school that is exponentially smaller than any of its conference rivals (third smallest school in D1 basketball).

What’s a heavier lift? Let me make it easier, is one job even remotely similar in terms of degree of difficulty in comparison to the other?

Why don’t you stick to what you do best, whining about Jerry York disrespecting you as a mid tier intermural hockey player at BC and losing battles of wits against IB.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:22 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:His best teams were in Years 4 and 6 at Kent State, when he would have had his own players. I eagerly await your attempt of mental gymnastics.

Why don’t you stick to what you do best... losing battles of wits against IB.

They all do that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm

“If you don’t feel progress is being made, if you’re not looking forward to what lies ahead, you have to ask yourself, why not?" Dannen said Saturday during a news conference to discuss the firing. "It got to the point — I know we had some injuries, and I know we struggled in certain areas — were we going to be able to bounce back from that? Was the program going to be better a year from now if we stand pat or make a change? Was it going to be better off two years from now?

“I don’t know that there was a day where that switch hit, but it was really obvious over the course of the last few weeks, we weren’t in position to get better over the next year or the next two years.”

Troy Dannen, Tulane AD, fired Mike Dunleavy after three years today. This is what leadership sounds like.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
“If you don’t feel progress is being made, if you’re not looking forward to what lies ahead, you have to ask yourself, why not?" Dannen said Saturday during a news conference to discuss the firing. "It got to the point — I know we had some injuries, and I know we struggled in certain areas — were we going to be able to bounce back from that? Was the program going to be better a year from now if we stand pat or make a change? Was it going to be better off two years from now?

“I don’t know that there was a day where that switch hit, but it was really obvious over the course of the last few weeks, we weren’t in position to get better over the next year or the next two years.”

Troy Dannen, Tulane AD, fired Mike Dunleavy after three years today. This is what leadership sounds like.

You neglected to mention his team went 4-27

You're worse than the Schmidt fanatic
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:47 am

New rule, just like in football... no coaches should be mentioned in this thread unless they are, or could one day be, a consideration for another Power 5 school.

This shouldn’t really need to be a rule. But, with our terrible fans happy for a replacement who can get us to 17 wins (so they can enjoy White Mountain Creamery with their daughter), this sadly needed to be posted.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Oh yes, Kent State, the best MAC school of the last 20 years. And the program he inherited from not one, but two coaches who actually built it into the MAC power it already was when JC took over.

I love the Schmidt hatred. Showing some of these posts to a former PAC-10 player who is laughing his ass off at the notion that BC fans aren’t interested in a guy who is on the verge of going to back to back tournaments at Saint Bonnies with two different rosters and two different set of star players.

Jim Fucking O’Brien ended up in an Elite 8 at BC, not to mention a Final Four at OSU and his Bonaventure coaching resume isn’t one tenth as impressive as Schmidt’s—and O’Brien had the good fortune to inherit a program that had won an NIT and made an NCAA appearance within the previous four and two years respectively, as well as two players who would play at least a year in the NBA.

I don't hate the guy, I would not even know who he was without this website.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

They all do that.

He must have meant it as a compliment!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

They all do that.

He must have meant it as a compliment!

I'm enjoying the burgeoning friendship/partnership between Dick and Betardo. I was trying to think of a buddy-cop movie to compare it to, but I kept going back to this:

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am

Don’t worry retard, at least you are consistently a fuck nut moron. I’ll make this so simple even a chimp like you can follow. Query: What is harder, to take a program with a slew of tournament appearances, no NCAA issues, that has a competitive advantage in terms of history and facilities vis a vis the rest of its conference (with perhaps the exception of one program), is in a location that is not any less desirable than any of its conference competitors, with an actual desirability advantage over at least 80 percent of the rest of its conference or taking over a program that has utterly collapsed to the point that the school is considering shutting it down, playing in a conference where it is far and away the weakest program, both in terms of results and funding, in a location that is less desirable than any other team in the conference, at a school that is exponentially smaller than any of its conference rivals (third smallest school in D1 basketball).

What’s a heavier lift? Let me make it easier, is one job even remotely similar in terms of degree of difficulty in comparison to the other?

Why don’t you stick to what you do best, whining about Jerry York disrespecting you as a mid tier intermural hockey player at BC and losing battles of wits against IB.

That was a fun paint by numbers Dick post where you take a point, don't really address it (or grossly misrepresent it), then talk about whatever you want to talk about, followed by a bunch of nonsensical, keyboard warrior insults that fall flat the 40th time you hear them. Only thing that was missing was a namedrop and fancy location mentioned. So that was disappointing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Sweet loss to St. Louis today.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:08 pm

congratulations to coach ford and his Billikens. Anyone not touched by his postgame excitements hates America. It’s amazing what can happen at a real Jesuit school. How they can handle adversity (injuries, dismissals of former bc players, transfers, etc) without quit or excuses is how it should be at the “power 5” programs too. Especially when you consider they beat the current day John wooden.

Go Billikens. Onward and upward. Ever to excel (for real)

And somehow jimmy Mac keeps cashing checks. Disgusting
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Boals to O-H-I-O
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

BC should be hiring Nate Oats from Buffalo.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Sweet loss to St. Louis today.

That was a bad one, would have been nice to hold on and win. Freshmen sometimes play like freshmen at inopportune times, but the fact that they were in it with two of their three leading scorers having bad games and their best defender on the bench with questionable foul trouble speaks volumes about the coaching.

In any case, I came to the realization that St Bonnies is a far more admirable place then BC. They spend as much as they conceivably can in furtherance of winning, they don’t whine and complain about the legion of disadvantages they have vis a vis the rest of their conference and they have recruited as of late well above their conference (and frankly better than BC this past year and for next year). Their fans are also not nerds and show up and cheer and party afterwards. Meanwhile, our fan base, to the extent it still exists, consists of miserable flyingelvii type fajets whose own parents hate them and regret their birth. As such, I hope Schmidt never gets another call from BC and declines rumored interest from DePaul who is not so quietly considering jettisoning Letaio.

As for BC, we are what we are and our nerdy student body and apathetic alums seem largely satisfied with it. I hope when Jimmy Christian departs we get the Jeff Capel/Mike Rhoades type mediocrity we deserve.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:And somehow jimmy Mac keeps cashing checks. Disgusting

Even if Jarmond let him go, I believe this would still be the case. I think that is why he will probably not be let go
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby cremins on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 am

I know we all kind of agreed that going after bruce pearl was too much of a risk considering his issues in the past but damn it
really stinks watching him win again with another team.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

Posting this to show how Christian is viewed as good-as-gone by everyone outside of Chestnut Hill.
https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/
YOUR CHAIR IS ON FIRE, SIR
Jim Christian (Boston College)
In the first three seasons under Christian, the Eagles won just 6 conference games and sported an ugly 29-67 overall record. But last year, Christian’s team finished at 19-16 overall, highlighted by signature wins over #1 Duke and #25 Miami at Conte Forum (plus a near-upset at #9 Virginia). The Eagles found themselves back near the bottom of the ACC but a trip to the NIT was the first postseason appearance for BC since 2011. Christian received a 2-year extension after the season, but is by no means on safe ground just yet. In the non-conference, BC had wins over Minnesota and Loyola Chicago to go along with surprising home losses to IUPUI and Hartford. Though they had only five ACC wins this year (14-17 overall), the Eagles – who were bitten by the injury bug all season – did pull off an upset over then-#11 Florida State. The BC job has enough clout to attract a solid replacement, so it might be the right time to make a change.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/art ... 32089.html
Becalmed Boston College and Wake Forest, particularly the latter, may be poised to tack in a new direction. BC has had three winning seasons in the past dozen, one of five under Jim Christian. Wake has two winning seasons in the last nine, one of five under Danny Manning.
Rebuilds after prolonged, painful struggle usually take years. The longer schools wait to refit, the farther behind they fall in a league now placing every breakeven program in position for NCAA consideration.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

when the donahue nonfiring / firing went down, the team was eliminated on weds 3/12, he was ultimately fired on tues 3/18

different ad, etc but silence doesn't necessarily mean nothing yet but agreed, disappointing IRregardless.

as noted, wake hasn't moved on but it's believed manning's buyout is significantly hired than jc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 am

When did we get clout.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:20 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:when the donahue nonfiring / firing went down, the team was eliminated on weds 3/12, he was ultimately fired on tues 3/18

different ad, etc but silence doesn't necessarily mean nothing yet but agreed, disappointing IRregardless.

as noted, wake hasn't moved on but it's believed manning's buyout is significantly hired than jc

I am going to go out on a limb and say he is not getting sacked this year. We can wish it but it isn't happening.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles06 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 am

When are we getting the "we wish we won more this year" email from Jarmond?
BCEagles06
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:16 am

https://theathletic.com/869853/2019/03/ ... -coaching/
Reminder: John Thompson is available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:https://theathletic.com/869853/2019/03/15/john-thompson-iii-says-hes-ready-to-get-back-to-coaching/

Oh dear no.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:https://theathletic.com/869853/2019/03/15/john-thompson-iii-says-hes-ready-to-get-back-to-coaching/

Oh dear no.

JT3 coached a team to the Final Four and has 10 NCAA appearances (vs only 2 for Mark Schmidt). His quick rebuild of the Hoyas was nothing short of miraculous after GTown let Craig Esherick (basically their version of Steve Cedorchuck) 5 years to completely dismantle the program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 pm

I don’t think JIm Christian is a bad coach. I felt Steve Donahue certainly was.

Jim Christian’s X’s and O’s savvy is pretty good. I am usually impressed by his defensive adjustments. He switches from zone to man and it usually succeeds in slowing the other team down. They shift their zone correctly, and I don’t see many breakdowns even in sudden mid-game adjustments. He is a stellar defensive coach, honestly. My problems are with his offensive scheme. It’s poor. His situational coaching is a C+ at best. The Providence game where we win if we foul comes to mind.

He can also identify and develop guards better than average. Where he lacks proficiency is at center. Nik Popovic was a good find, but he is a poor defender. Not to mention his other bigs have never impressed me.

In his quest for diamonds in the rough, sometimes he hits impressively. But sometimes he offers schollies to players who can’t find the court even on a depth starved team. We’re talking Avery Wilson, etc.

Overall... if he gets another year, it at least allows the recruiting class to come in. Problem is, if he succeeds and posts a good record we can’t justify firing him if a very good candidate is out there. But like I said, he’s not Steve Donahue bad. I’m not even convinced he’s bad at all. Just not great.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don’t think JIm Christian is a bad coach. I felt Steve Donahue certainly was.

Jim Christian’s X’s and O’s savvy is pretty good. I am usually impressed by his defensive adjustments. He switches from zone to man and it usually succeeds in slowing the other team down. They shift their zone correctly, and I don’t see many breakdowns even in sudden mid-game adjustments. He is a stellar defensive coach, honestly. My problems are with his offensive scheme. It’s poor. His situational coaching is a C+ at best. The Providence game where we win if we foul comes to mind.

He can also identify and develop guards better than average. Where he lacks proficiency is at center. Nik Popovic was a good find, but he is a poor defender. Not to mention his other bigs have never impressed me.

In his quest for diamonds in the rough, sometimes he hits impressively. But sometimes he offers schollies to players who can’t find the court even on a depth starved team. We’re talking Avery Wilson, etc.

Overall... if he gets another year, it at least allows the recruiting class to come in. Problem is, if he succeeds and posts a good record we can’t justify firing him if a very good candidate is out there. But like I said, he’s not Steve Donahue bad. I’m not even convinced he’s bad at all. Just not great.

I disagree with your take on his defensive coaching. For every team it confuses, there is a game where we have breakdowns and let some average player light us up from outside. In his five years, he's only had one team ranked in the Top 100 defensively (2016-17) and even that team was only 100.

I would say he is a B- X and Os guy, B- recruiter, C developer of talent, C+ motivator, and a B- face of the program.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh dear no.

JT3 coached a team to the Final Four and has 10 NCAA appearances (vs only 2 for Mark Schmidt). His quick rebuild of the Hoyas was nothing short of miraculous after GTown let Craig Esherick (basically their version of Steve Cedorchuck) 5 years to completely dismantle the program.

As someone who held Georgetown season tickets during the JTIII years, no.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum