New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BC923 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 am

If we were to make a move, what is the timeline?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am

Timeline is now. Other schools have already fired guys.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.

Who do you want?

I posted this on a previous page. If Jarmond wants to just cut me a check for $100k I did the search committees job below.

- Bill Coen (Northeastern) (We can do better than this)

Good. Because you can't have him. Not for sale. Stay the fuck away from him.

You must acknowledge winning in the modern day ACC is a different animal than the CAA
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:If we were to make a move, what is the timeline?

We tell Jimmy Mac that his contract isn't being extended. In three years, we hire a new coach.
http://bcheights.com/2018/04/25/jim-chr ... 22-season/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Thamel's going to write something saying "a change is imminent" and so on or he isn't. That's how we will know

Blauds may write any number of things. These are meaningful only insofar as they provide entertainment value
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:18 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A-List:
- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) (also very high on my list)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)
- Wojo (Marquette) (He's winning at a school very similar to BC)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.

If Buzz would leave Marquette for VT, any of those guys would leave their current destination for BC. I added Shaka Smart to the A-List also, he's going to be fired shortly and is a good coach.

In my opinion, Shaka would be a program-defining moment. I think he is an excellent coach who would win with players that he'd land at BC. However, I think he's being retained by Texas. It is a shame though. BC would be all over hiring a guy who is being financially supported by another program.

Jeff Goodman talking BC today...
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9944291328
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9697017856
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 3050494977
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Hey Jeff Goodman, stay the fuck away from Bill Coen.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Manny on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

He's out, or so says someone I know who has the means to know. "No one surprising" on the list of prospective targets, whatever that means.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:"No one surprising" on the list of prospective targets, whatever that means.

It means the emperor has no clothes. Jarmond's first big time hire would be looking at a tired list of former BC assistants and Brian Gregory (with a sprinkling of former Matta assistants). Oh... and Mark Schmidt!!!!
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm

To be fair we assumed we'd get one of the usual suspects last time around, and we got a surprise. Given, it was a bad surprise, but I'll never put it past BC to disappoint in new and interesting ways
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:"No one surprising" on the list of prospective targets, whatever that means.

It means the emperor has no clothes. Jarmond's first big time hire would be looking at a tired list of former BC assistants and Brian Gregory (with a sprinkling of former Matta assistants). Oh... and Mark Schmidt!!!!

Our last two hires have been new to BC and New England and been disasters. I have no problem going with someone familiar with BC and who knows how to manuver the landmines.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:47 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Our last two hires have been new to BC and New England and been disasters. I have no problem going with someone familiar with BC and who knows how to manuver the landmines.

The reason Beeker and this latest disaster didn't succeed has nothing to do with "getting BC" or "BC landmines".
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

FWIW, the one guy I know who has some legit connections told me the expectation was that J-Mac would get another year.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The reason Beeker and this latest disaster didn't succeed has nothing to do with "getting BC" or "BC landmines".

Precisely. By all accounts, both are good guys who emphasized getting good kids who would attend class and not embarrass the school.

Skinner and Obie were both shadier who pushed the envelop and didn't necessarily play nice in the stodgy BC sandbox. I'd like to see BC get back to winning... even if that means taking commitments from Scoonie Penn and *** *******. I keep saying this over-and-over whenever "good for New England" candidates are exclusively touted, a compromised choice will give you compromised results. BC should hire a coach who other programs would also consider hiring.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:50 pm

To be clear, the person I know didn't state it as a fact, just said it's what they heard in the aftermath of the back-to-back demolitions to finish the season. The person does not have a direct line to Jarmond that I know of, but is connected in various ways to the department generally. Has also said Jarmond's office is far less leaky than Bates' was, so if we hear rumors it will much more likely be coaches' agents than BC people talking.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm fine with Wes Miller. Other than Smart, who is not coming here, the rest of that list doesn't make me want to fire Christian.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm fine with Wes Miller. Other than Smart, who is not coming here, the rest of that list doesn't make me want to fire Christian.

Any of those Big East coaches are such a huge upgrade over JC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Get some renderings and an announcement of a bball practice facility or what's the point of pay $$ for a coach?

Jimmy Mac stinks and should be fired but BC is not in the position to hire someone good and expect fantastic results. Plus BC is cheap.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm fine with Wes Miller. Other than Smart, who is not coming here, the rest of that list doesn't make me want to fire Christian.

Any of those Big East coaches are such a huge upgrade over JC.

No. Cooley is the biggest revisionist history of all time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Just looked at Cooley's record at Providence, are you really serious? He's coaching a bubble team in a weaker conference that never wins in the NCAAs despite landing very good recruits with limited admissions restrictions.

I've watched Cooley call play many times. Makes Christian look like John Wooden.

71-73 in whatever they are calling the conference that has Patrick Ewing and that putz Wojo coaching in it. No wonder Chris Mack was reluctant to leave.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NJM89 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Hopefully this has some meaning to it. Maybe leaving behind a team for a new staff to coach.

https://twitter.com/coachwu/status/1105952264911495169?s=21
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Just looked at Cooley's record at Providence, are you really serious? He's coaching a bubble team in a weaker conference that never wins in the NCAAs despite landing very good recruits with limited admissions restrictions.

I've watched Cooley call play many times. Makes Christian look like John Wooden.

71-73 in whatever they are calling the conference that has Patrick Ewing and that putz Wojo coaching in it. No wonder Chris Mack was reluctant to leave.

You’re not getting Cooley due to his Xs and Os. Guy can flat out recruit. He’s Amaker on steroids.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Hopefully this has some meaning to it. Maybe leaving behind a team for a new staff to coach.

https://twitter.com/coachwu/status/1105952264911495169?s=21

I’m still unsure as to what he does 5 years later...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 pm

I'd say Amaker on donuts

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm

cooley is daz, you hope he amasses enough talent so that he ultimately can't screw it up

5 straight tournament appearances at that school is pretty impressive.

next year they're a top 25 team

IRregardless, he's not coming
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I have no interest in mid-major coaches who inherit a loaded roster and win a bunch of games. That situation has little bearing on the mess that is BC Basketball.

Who do you want?

I posted this on a previous page. If Jarmond wants to just cut me a check for $100k I did the search committees job below.

You must acknowledge winning in the modern day ACC is a different animal than the CAA

Granted. But (at the moment, and for the foreseeable future) Northeastern is in the CAA. So we have to win in the CAA. That happens with Bill Coen. It doesn't seem to happen with anyone else. So, don't touch him.

I got real nervous watching the Miami-VPI game this afternoon. They showed the list of teams that punched tickets. There was my alma mater. Sean McDonough commented looking at the list....

Sean {l Wrote}:You know which coach from that list of teams is really undervalued, Bill Coen.

The two of them started yakking about Bill Coen and BC and yadda-yadda, and I was like, SHUT THE FUCK UP SEAN! I do NOT want Bill getting any offers because I know he'll bolt. And we can't replace him.

That said, I want BC to win so you can have any other coach in the world other than Coen.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Who do you want?

Granted. But (at the moment, and for the foreseeable future) Northeastern is in the CAA. So we have to win in the CAA. That happens with Bill Coen. It doesn't seem to happen with anyone else. So, don't touch him.

I got real nervous watching the Miami-VPI game this afternoon. They showed the list of teams that punched tickets. There was my alma mater. Sean McDonough commented looking at the list....

Sean {l Wrote}:You know which coach from that list of teams is really undervalued, Bill Coen.

The two of them started yakking about Bill Coen and BC and yadda-yadda, and I was like, SHUT THE FUCK UP SEAN! I do NOT want Bill getting any offers because I know he'll bolt. And we can't replace him.

That said, I want BC to win so you can have any other coach in the world other than Coen.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Did anyone mention Patrick Beilein yet?

He'd be cheap, which we know is a BC prerequisite.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Did anyone mention Patrick Beilein yet?

He'd be cheap, which we know is a BC prerequisite.

That's a silly suggestion because he fails the other two prerequisites... AARP membership and previous relationship with the area (e.g. JC played at BU). Coen, however, crushes all 3.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm

I would add Craig Smith of Utah State to the list. Picked to finish 9th in the MWC and just finished 1st. Coach of the year in first year. He's been an Assistant in the Big Ten, which I value because BC needs someone that understands the level they will NEED to recruit to. Danny Ainge's son plays for him, so get the reference there.

Outside of him, I worry that the guys that can push BC into the 18-22 W window from the current 15-19 W window are either A) Going for bigger jobs (Musselman, Cronin), or B) Not Available (Matta, Smart).

The Wes Miller resume isn't nearly strong enough in my book. You can't blow JC out for a so-so candidate (Miller, Coen, Schmidt). Amaker, Cooley and Willard are probably upgrades on JC, but it's not a big lift in my view. Guys like Oats and Rhoades look interesting, but risky given the lack of Asst exp at a big program.
durkcal
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum