New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Given the news re Howland (his market is more of the USF ilk), I think we have a great shot of landing him if 1. we want him and 2. were willing to write the check.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Given the news re Howland (his market is more of the USF ilk), I think we have a great shot of landing him if 1. we want him and 2. were willing to write the check.

I don't think money will be Howland's main issue. I think it will be more about fit, relationship with the AD and control.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Given the news re Howland (his market is more of the USF ilk), I think we have a great shot of landing him if 1. we want him and 2. were willing to write the check.

I don't think money will be Howland's main issue. I think it will be more about fit, relationship with the AD and control.

Market for Howland just got a lot more difficult. Wazoo just opened up.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:27 pm

I'll throw my list out there for people to ask what I am smoking. Keep in mind, four years ago despite being devastated that the little fucker DeFilippo fired my hubby, I thought the best candidate at the time was Lon Krueger.

Ben Howland
Mark Few
Greg Marshall
Mike Lonergan
Jeff Capel
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

BC is a better job than that
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Another name to consider is Brad Stevens. Young guy, took Butler to the Sweet 16, Boston connection. Struggling in the pros right now, but Pitino and Calipari also failed in NBA and look at them now.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

BC is a better job than that

BC seems like the best job open right now correct?
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm

84 users online, get the meatbombs.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm

If you want to make a hire that will sell tickets, you hire Shaka Smart.
If you want to make a hire that allows you to win the quickest, you hire Ben Howland.
If you want to make a hire that gives the BOT and whalepants a tingling feeling run up their leg, you hire Amaker.

I've always liked Few and Marshall, but I doubt either would consider BC (and I doubt BC would break the bank for someone who isn't guaranteed of immediately sparking interest).

I think Capel would happily take the job if we showed interest (but, don't think we will). I am 99% certain that Mike Lonergan is on Bates' list (along with Amaker and Cuse's Mike Hopkins).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:36 pm

BostonGlobe: According to multiple sources, Harvard's Tommy Amaker is leading candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC http://t.co/BObKx6yWGj
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Wash St isn't as good of a job.

But Howland's a Pacific NW guy (and West Coast). Don't know if he wants to come back east.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Another name to consider is Brad Stevens. Young guy, took Butler to the Sweet 16, Boston connection. Struggling in the pros right now, but Pitino and Calipari also failed in NBA and look at them now.

Don't forget Lon Krueger failed miserably with the Hawks and then returned to the college ranks.

You wouldn't have to pay for a relo with Stevens.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Wash St isn't as good of a job.

But Howland's a Pacific NW guy (and West Coast). Don't know if he wants to come back east.

Exactly.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:BostonGlobe: According to multiple sources, Harvard's Tommy Amaker is leading candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC http://t.co/BObKx6yWGj

:suicide
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:BostonGlobe: According to multiple sources, Harvard's Tommy Amaker is leading candidate to replace Steve Donahue at BC http://t.co/BObKx6yWGj

UGH

I see Vega is sticking by his report that Rahon and Anderson will transfer if Hanlan goes pro even though it has been refuted by the players themselves.
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

:suicide

I don't think for a second that's anything but 100% speculation.

Additionally, I would expect the Master to call up his connects when it comes to figuring out where to go next. And I would imagine his connects at Michigan would not paint a glowing picture of him.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:41 pm

As bad as Amaker is at coaching, he's a major upgrade over the guy that has been stealing money from BC for 4 years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

No one should be surprised by Amaker's name being mentioned. He checks off a lot of boxes for the BOT and whalepants. Like it or not, his candidacy is not unlike Dazoo's.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If you want to make a hire that will sell tickets, you hire Shaka Smart.
If you want to make a hire that allows you to win the quickest, you hire Ben Howland.
If you want to make a hire that gives the BOT and whalepants a tingling feeling run up their leg, you hire Amaker.

what about "fit" regarding amaker and the bot?

fwiw think the amaker/globe discussion is 100% bullshit
Last edited by claver2010 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

In Amaker's defense, he's made Harvard pretty good. Also, recruiting to Seton Hall has got to be pretty hard, considering the place it's in. That said, i don't want him as coach.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:No one should be surprised by Amaker's name being mentioned. He checks off a lot of boxes for the BOT and whalepants. Like it or not, his candidacy is not unlike Dazoo's.

I will say...while he's not my first choice, I think we could do a lot worse.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:He checks off a lot of boxes for the BOT and whalepants.

I figure "cheap" is boxes 1, 2 & 3.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Amaker is able to recruit the kids he wants at Harvard and they just have more athletes than anyone else in the Ivy. He failed twice at the Seton Hall and Michigan. Bates being a Michigan guy must remember their lack of success when Amaker was there.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:48 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:No one should be surprised by Amaker's name being mentioned. He checks off a lot of boxes for the BOT and whalepants. Like it or not, his candidacy is not unlike Dazoo's.

I will say...while he's not my first choice, I think we could do a lot worse.

Agreed. He isn't my first/second/tenth choice. But, I think he would be an upgrade and would go a long way bringing in talent into the program (which is its biggest problem right now).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:49 pm

He was mediocre at SHU with great talent, and rode Eddie Griffin to the Sweet 16.

He was hit or miss at Michigan, but brought in great talent that he didn't know how to coach.

Like I said, he's a bad X's and O's guy but he is a major upgrade over Captain MEAC
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:50 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:Amaker is able to recruit the kids he wants at Harvard and they just have more athletes than anyone else in the Ivy. He failed twice at the Seton Hall and Michigan. Bates being a Michigan guy must remember their lack of success when Amaker was there.

I wouldn't say Amaker "failed" at Seton Hall.

Your point about Bates re: Michigan means that he probably has more insight into Amaker... why he failed and whether he is worth rolling the dice with again.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:53 pm

The University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport said in its report Monday that eight teams that made the 2014 men's bracket fall below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate score of 930, equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate.

Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.

Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:54 pm

The only reason I'll hold out hope if they hire Amaker is the fact that he is still only 49 years old. He was 36 when he took the Michigan job, and has 17 years of HC experience, which is insane for a guy still in his 40s. Short of the academic scandal (which extended beyond the basketball team), I can't knock his tenure at Harvard. It is possible that he has learned and adapted since the Michigan disaster.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Hopefully Brad Bates is smart enough to avoid hiring another Ivy League coach after seeing how miserably the last one failed
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm

BC already floating Amaker to the media to gauge public reaction. Incredible.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum