New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 am

Has Eddie Fogler been hired by anyone this year to conduct their coaching search? Just wondering if we have to worry about Christian getting poached.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Has Eddie Fogler been hired by anyone this year to conduct their coaching search? Just wondering if we have to worry about Christian getting poached.

He did the University of Illinois-Chicago search. We seem to have made it through this off season without getting poached by UIC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Can't help but think we would have been better off waiting a year to fire Donahue so we could hire Herb Sendek now.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Can't help but think we would have been better off waiting a year to fire Donahue so we could hire Herb Sendek now.

i bet villanova wish they had sendek. he always knew how to beat nc state when it really mattered
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:32 am

mloyko {l Wrote}:TOS is reporting Bucknell's Dave Paulsen is being tossed around this week.

Would be a cheap, uninspiring, pathetic hire. A coach no one has heard about coming off a 16-14 record in the friggin Patriot League. :whiteflag

Dave Paulsen was hired as George Mason's head coach to replace Paul Hewitt.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Just so all if you can be as annoyed as I am by the tweet machine:

@CoachingChanges: Boston College name hearing most under the radar is Fran McCaffrey

Wasn't he Donahue's mentor of sorts?

No... you are thinking of Fran Dunphy (formerly of UPenn now at Temple).

I like Fran McCaffrey. He won't be coming to BC, but he's a good coach. Aside for the fact that no one in a Big 5 program is coming to BC, McCaffrey's 14-year-old son had surgery (the same day as Iowa's loss in the Tourney) to remove a tumor on his thyroid that was then determined to be malignant. He has another surgery in 2 weeks to determine the next course of treatment. I seriously doubt McCaffrey is thinking about future jobs right now.

I like McCaffrey. Boston has world class hospitals, Iowa does not...

I thought of that too. But, it seems like a strange way to land a coach. That said, the entire process has been strange. Further, no outcome is more bizarre than hiring Jim Christian... yes I am already at Chris Crane level on that possibility.

Again, the EO Coaching Staff will do the job for half the price of Christian and we'll probably win more games

For the record, TWB, Claver and myself could've gone 0-18 last season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:27 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Article about incoming coaches:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/the-m ... ncaab.html

ha, "pull a Boston College"
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Pat is witty. I like that. :)
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Pat has titties. I like that. :)

fixed
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:49 pm

dammit TRE you are really pissing me off
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby CorporalFunishment on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:14 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:dammit TRE you are really pissing me off

Just ignore him. That's what I do.

After all, who really needs to see the picture of some guy sodomizing himself for the 100th time?
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
CorporalFunishment
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:16 pm

CorporalFunishment {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:dammit TRE you are really pissing me off

Just ignore him. That's what I do.

After all, who really needs to see the picture of some guy sodomizing himself for the 100th time?

depends on the guy's breast size. if he's a c-cup or above, foot would like to see it
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:55 pm

tubby smith to mephis
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:26 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:tubby smith to mephis

I was surprised to learn that he is only 64. Can't believe he was only 45 when he got the Kentucky job.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:46 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Agreed that Dooley is better than Christian.

I am trusting Bates, but will bail if he gets some of these terrible names. Rehiring Skinner is better than some of these options.

Weren't we telling folks that we were waiting to interview coaches who were still in tournaments. I thought that was code-word for Archie Miller. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... w-contract
I find it strange that there is no news on that front... meanwhile the interest in Steve Lappas has somehow already gotten out. But, as the article alludes, perhaps he is only interested in the top 2 openings (at the time it was Marquette and Wake).

Well... thankfully we didn't hire Archie. We'd be looking for a new coach right now after being left at the altar for Indiana. See Bill, Brad and Eddie knew better than all of us.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 pm

It's tough looking back at this thread and now knowing we hired Christian. The coaching search was about as big of a blunder as it gets. There were plenty of good names we could have hired and somehow Bates ended up with Christian.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:26 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:It's tough looking back at this thread and now knowing we hired Christian. The coaching search was about as big of a blunder as it gets. There were plenty of good names we could have hired and somehow Bates ended up with Christian.

It makes sense as Bates was in shock over how little power he had. He turtles-up going with something safe promoted by Fogler. What's amazing is that people still hire Fogler. That's what I truly find shocking. Given who we have as President, I am not at all surprised with the hire of Jimmy Mac or that he is still the head coach. Just as I won't be surprised when Bill hires a rivals Compliance Officer (likely because she won't be as tempting as the other choices).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Do people not understand this or do they just like to complain? Archie Miller was NEVER going to come to BC. The problem was not that we were too stupid realize he was good. The problem was not that we offered too little money and just a little more could have gotten him but we were too stupid to realize the value of a good coach. Everyone wanted to hire Archie Miller. Better programs offered more money than we could ever hope to spend and he rejected them. He was waiting for a big-gum job and BC ain't one of them. Same with Gregg Marshall. Same with Chris Mack. That Archie Miller was never the coach at BC is not reasonable grounds for calling Bates or the administration incompetent. There are a thousand legitimate reasons to criticize the Master without resorting to this stupidity.

Rant complete
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Do people not understand this or do they just like to complain? Archie Miller was NEVER going to come to BC. The problem was not that we were too stupid realize he was good. The problem was not that we offered too little money and just a little more could have gotten him but we were too stupid to realize the value of a good coach. Everyone wanted to hire Archie Miller. Better programs offered more money than we could ever hope to spend and he rejected them. He was waiting for a big-gum job and BC ain't one of them. Same with Gregg Marshall. Same with Chris Mack. That Archie Miller was never the coach at BC is not reasonable grounds for calling Bates or the administration incompetent. There are a thousand legitimate reasons to criticize the Master without resorting to this stupidity.

Rant complete

This isn't really how college coaching works, but I get where you are coming from. Good rant.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Do people not understand this or do they just like to complain? Archie Miller was NEVER going to come to BC. The problem was not that we were too stupid realize he was good. The problem was not that we offered too little money and just a little more could have gotten him but we were too stupid to realize the value of a good coach. Everyone wanted to hire Archie Miller. Better programs offered more money than we could ever hope to spend and he rejected them. He was waiting for a big-gum job and BC ain't one of them. Same with Gregg Marshall. Same with Chris Mack. That Archie Miller was never the coach at BC is not reasonable grounds for calling Bates or the administration incompetent. There are a thousand legitimate reasons to criticize the Master without resorting to this stupidity.

Rant complete

This isn't really how college coaching works, but I get where you are coming from. Good rant.

For around $3 million per year Chris Mack or Archie Miller would be the coach at BC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Rant complete

For around $3 million per year Chris Mack or Archie Miller would be the coach at BC

well yeah but then you factor in what we are already paying our last two coaches (Jim and Onahue) and the fact that this money comes from people (that won't even bother to show up for games, let alone help pay for a new coach) and it's a steeper climb than just "Oh yeah, we'll throw $______ at him."

But totally, I agree that if we want a good basketball program, we just have to pony up. I would love for them to stop trying to make the frugal angle work (we'll pay small for a solid coach and just spend on good expensive assistants) and just go for the throat and be a competitive program again
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:But totally, I agree that if we want a good basketball program, we just have to pony up. I would love for them to stop trying to make the frugal angle work (we'll pay small for a solid coach and just spend on good expensive assistants) and just go for the throat and be a competitive program again

Here's the thing (and I've said this before), but you can be very successful as a program hiring cheap coaches. VCU has shown that. Other mid majors have shown that as well. In football, it was Boise's calling card and essentially Tom Jurich's model at Ville. The key is having very good ADs who can identify young up-and-comers. Yes... it is disappointing when a coach leaves for another program, but it is not anywhere near as devastating as when you have to fire a coach. First, a coach leaving means he had success. Second, a coach being poached usually comes with a nice little buyout for the school (which can help with the next search). Finally, if you miss on a coach (like Ville missed on Kragthorpe), it is relatively inexpensive to rectify.

The problem with BC (and most programs for that matter) that prevents this strategy is pride. BC wants to pretend that it is a destination. So, it will always favor coaches who claim it is their dream job. It seemingly still feels the sting of Frank Leahy, Tom Davis, Gary Williams and Tom Coughlin.

I've said in this very thread that BC needed (and still needs) to make a sea-change-like hire. In my opinion, it was (still is) the only way to radically change recruiting and fans. I felt then that BC was fading into irrelevance (we have since arrived).

That said, if Leahy is going to refuse to leave his role and still purposely steers BC athletic towards he rocks (which forecloses any chance for a big name), fine. Success then lies with making aggressive hires who will do everything they can to win so they can leave for a bigger job. The safe... pretty solid... coach from the MAC hasn't worked (not that any real fan thought it had any chance). If you can't hire Shaka Smart, you need to find the next Shaka Smart. In FB, that would be a guy like Neal Brown at Troy. In basketball, I dont't know maybe someone like Willie Wade. Point being that you either grab a superstar are you try to identify the next superstar. What has been happening with athletics over the past decade is how you completely kill off an athletic program (much to the apparent cock-sucking pleasure of the administration).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:01 am

Howard Eisley is an assistant for the Knicks these days, is there any chance he might ever want to come back?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:Howard Eisley is an assistant for the Knicks these days, is there any chance he might ever want to come back?

I think Eisley would take the job. So would Jared. We could do a hell of a lot worse than either of those guys. However, there is a significant question as to their ability to recruit and navigate the AAU scene.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Rant complete

You made this EXACT claim about Gregg Marshall just a few days ago and were demonstrated to be completely wrong. Why do you think that choosing the two closest proxies and making in substance the exact same claim is any less wrong?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

I remember when the name used to be Brian Gregory.

There are limited jobs in the power conferences.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I remember when the name used to be Brian Gregory.

Really? Well Archie has turned down numerous better P5 programs, the latest being NCSU

Hey, I like a guy that bets on himself, and if he can sustain excellence to wait for the right job, more power to him. Or if he can get the school to pony up like Few (and even he is barely a millionaire).

But fact is that hot coaches in the mid major ranks are going to take ACC jobs more often than not if the cash is there. It's usually a huge pay raise and its the ACC, no matter how bad the team has been. And most of these guys are arrogant on top of it.

Frankly I don't think it would take much to turn around the basketball program and get it to competitive, and I bet there are a bunch of guys out there coaching at small schools thinking the same thing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Really? Well Archie has turned down numerous better P5 programs, the latest being NCSU

Hey, I like a guy that bets on himself, and if he can sustain excellence to wait for the right job, more power to him. Or if he can get the school to pony up like Few.

But fact is that hot coaches in the mid major ranks are going to take ACC jobs more often than not if the cash is there. It's usually a huge pay raise and its the ACC, no matter how bad the team has been. And most of these guys are arrogant on top of it.

Frankly I don't think it would take much to turn around the basketball program and get it to competitive, and I bet there are a bunch of guys out there coaching at small schools thinking the same thing.

I generally agree with this. That said, Eppy picked the two exceptions to what you just said. Chris Mack also turned down an offer from Cal in 2014.

But Miller did jump when he got a good bite. There certainly are guys that can keep a mid major going long enough to be picky, and some that just want to stay with that school no matter what.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Hey, I like a guy that bets on himself, and if he can sustain excellence to wait for the right job, more power to him. Or if he can get the school to pony up like Few.

I generally agree with this. That said, Eppy picked the two exceptions to what you just said. Chris Mack also turned down an offer from Cal in 2014.

But Miller did jump when he got a good bite. There certainly are guys that can keep a mid major going long enough to be picky, and some that just want to stay with that school no matter what.

I'm confused. My point wasn't that these two wouldn't jump for a top 5 program like IU, my point was that they wouldn't go to BC for 3 mil. Like you said, normal mid major coaches would. These two, and Marshall, are not the norm

Maybe, or maybe timing was everything. Not that it matters, because BC never tried.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum