New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:51 pm

This is totally OT and not related to a new coach at BC at all (but instead a previous asst coach) ...

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1198048274848059392?s=12
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:05 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:This is totally OT and not related to a new coach at BC at all (but instead a previous asst coach) ...

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1198048274848059392?s=12

Was he the one whose wife used to post on here? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 am

ollie still going after uconn for his 10M. his lawyer showed up at hurley's house last night with a subpoena. uconn is unhappy about it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-ollie-uconn-lawsuit-dan-hurley-subpoena-001348250.html
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:03 pm

He may not be the sexiest pick but I think Scott Nagy strikes me as someone who can get the program stabilized.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:33 pm

It shocks me how many times people suggest Eisley, Dudley and now Woodward. Maybe they'll be good coaches someday, but any one of those guys would be a big risk. No other P5 program would come close to considering these guys right now.

Pick the person who can do the best job regardless of whether he or she (that's for you, durkcal) is affiliated with BC.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Howard Eisley is almost 50 and has been coaching for 10 years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Howard Eisley is almost 50 and has been coaching for 10 years.

I'm not saying I want to hire him or not... but Militant is asking how many other programs are we in competition for his services?

Personally, I don't think anyone with a whistle can just turn this thing around.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Howard Eisley is almost 50 and has been coaching for 10 years.

I'm not saying I want to hire him or not... but Militant is asking how many other programs are we in competition for his services?

Personally, I don't think anyone with a whistle can just turn this thing around.

Eisley is getting some nice accolades for his coaching

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.c ... utType=amp

His son Howard Jr is also a top prospect in the 2024 signing class....
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:57 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Eisley is getting some nice accolades for his coaching

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.c ... utType=amp

His son Howard Jr is also a top prospect in the 2024 signing class....

Did the kids call him HoJu?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

So we want to wait on Eisley until he is no longer interested and we cant afford him.

The basketball turnaround is the most overrated thing about BC sports. By definition basketball is not hard to do a 180. Start by stop hiring boring guys from flash in the pan mid majors.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

So we want to wait on Eisley until he is no longer interested and we cant afford him.

The basketball turnaround is the most overrated thing about BC sports. By definition basketball is not hard to do a 180. Start by stop hiring boring guys from flash in the pan mid majors.

Agreed. Even these last two coaches have been able to recruit an NBA first rounder or two. You just need a guy who can recruit some other players something Coach Jim has been woefully unable to do.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

In six years, your post could as easily be: "Start by stop hiring boring guys from mid majors and first-time head coaches."

Let's be clear here. The way this a hometown discount is supposed to work is that a guy passes on better opportunities to help a program he loves. It's not that the program is supposed to give a shot to alums so that they can use it to cash a bigger check or act as a springboard for better things.

I doubt anyone here has a clue as to whether Howard can turn the program around (I have yet to see a single post of substance in support). Personally, I have no opinion. I do know (as of 3 years ago) he wanted the chance to take over the program. To that end, I think moving from the Knicks to Michigan put him in a better position.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

In six years, your post could as easily be: "Start by stop hiring boring guys from mid majors and first-time head coaches."

Let's be clear here. The way this a hometown discount is supposed to work is that a guy passes on better opportunities to help a program he loves. It's not that the program is supposed to give a shot to alums so that they can use it to cash a bigger check or act as a springboard for better things.

I doubt anyone here has a clue as to whether Howard can turn the program around (I have yet to see a single post of substance in support). Personally, I have no opinion. I do know (as of 3 years ago) he wanted the chance to take over the program. To that end, I think moving from the Knicks to Michigan put him in a better position.

I'd way prefer Eisley to Dudley. At least he's coached before.

I also don't think JC is going anywhere
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Eisley has several things the Mac coaches don't have, the least of which is pro experience similar to that which we raved about with Hafley.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:07 pm

I happen to think that hiring football coaches is different than basketball coaches. I also think that it is significantly harder to right the BB ship than some are willing to give credit.

I look at similarly situated programs in the ACC and note that they only turned it around with a proven star coach (FSU-Hamilton, VT-Williams, UVA-Bennett). Coaches who have been winners at the high majors simply have much more success stop-to-stop then mid-majors or assistants making the jump.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I happen to think that hiring football coaches is different than basketball coaches. I also think that it is significantly harder to right the BB ship than some are willing to give credit.

I look at similarly situated programs in the ACC and note that they only turned it around with a proven star coach (FSU-Hamilton, VT-Williams, UVA-Bennett). Coaches who have been winners at the high majors simply have much more success stop-to-stop then mid-majors or assistants making the jump.

You basically have shit backward and are using effect to determine cause. But at least you are taking a position instead of both positions.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:09 am

Jeff Goodman:

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-cheat-sheet-for-2020-02-27-2020/

2) Jim Christian, Boston College | This is Year 6 of the Christian era in Chestnut Hill, and while it’s a difficult gig, he’s been unable to gain any legit traction. Even with a pair of NBA guards in Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman, the Eagles couldn’t reach the tourney. BC has been competitive in the ACC this season, but let’s face it — the league is way down. Christian was extended in 2018 through 2022, but I’ve been told AD Martin Jarmond is leaning towards making a move, especially since he doesn’t have to pay former football coach Steve Addazio after he landed a job at Colorado State. Your guess is as good as mine regarding who’s next at BC, but maybe a guy like John Thompson III, URI’s David Cox, former BC assistant Bill Coen or Loyola’s Porter Moser would be a good fit. I’d make a run at Seton Hall’s Kevin Willard or see if Arizona State’s Bobby Hurley wants to come back east, but you’re gonna have to get some real money together and show that you’re invested in the program to even get one of those guys to listen.

2) Will John Beilein return to college hoops? The 67-year-old Beilein parted ways with the Cleveland Cavaliers at the NBA All-Star break, and now the question becomes whether he retires or comes back to college. From talking to several people close to him, my money is on him coaching again. Beilein, who took Michigan to the national title game in 2013 and 2018, will likely have his pick of anything that opens … if he wants it. “I don’t think he wants to go out this way,” said a source close to Beilein. “I think he’ll coach in college again.” Wake Forest and Boston College could be in play.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}: John Thompson III, URI’s David Cox, former BC assistant Bill Coen or Loyola’s Porter Moser

And... there in lies the problem.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}: John Thompson III, URI’s David Cox, former BC assistant Bill Coen or Loyola’s Porter Moser

I’ll stop being a BC fan if they hire JTIII. I had Georgetown season tickets when I lived in DC and he is an embarrassingly bad coach. That entire list is a disaster
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I’ll stop being a BC fan if they hire JTIII. I had Georgetown season tickets when I lived in DC and he is an embarrassingly bad coach. That entire list is a disaster

Yup. As many of us have stated previously, don’t bother firing Christian if you’re going to hire someone on par with the people on that list. You need a home run hire if possible. Otherwise, wait another year and see what he does with his most talented roster since he he was hired.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:38 pm

is it going to be more talented than 2 nba guards and 2 other 1,000 point scorers?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:28 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:is it going to be more talented than 2 nba guards and 2 other 1,000 point scorers?

Yes, but this is based on the assumption that Tabbs comes back 100%...BC had no depth during the Robinson/Bowman years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:is it going to be more talented than 2 nba guards and 2 other 1,000 point scorers?

Yes, but this is based on the assumption that Tabbs comes back 100%...BC had no depth during the Robinson/Bowman years.

Counting on Tabbs to come back at 100% is a poor assumption. He won’t have played a game in over 2 years. I remember watching Daryl Hicks after 2 knee surgeries and he could barely move out there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:39 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Counting on Tabbs to come back at 100% is a poor assumption. He won’t have played a game in over 2 years. I remember watching Daryl Hicks after 2 knee surgeries and he could barely move out there.

Tabbs has been out 1 year. He was playing last year
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Right and the next time he plays for BC will be November.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:11 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

which will be less than 2 years from the last time he played

what is going on with this board lately???
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

which will be less than 2 years from the last time he played

what is going on with this board lately???

His last game as January of 2018. His next game will be November of 2020. 22 months instead of 24 months, same difference. Round up to 2 years
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 pm

w GT declaring themselves OUT of the acc tourney, JC has a chance for the first time to avoid the tuesday special!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:w GT declaring themselves OUT of the acc tourney, JC has a chance for the first time to avoid the tuesday special!

They’re not beating Cuse or FSU. Seems like they’d lose the tiebreaker to everyone not named UNC or VT.

I’d keep those Tuesday hotel reservations in Greensboro
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A-List:
- Thad Matta (Ohio St formerly) (this is health dependent)
- Kevin Willard (Seton Hall) (this would be high on my list)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) (also very high on my list)
- Ed Cooley (Providence) (I'm not nuts about this idea, but he would do well here)
- Wojo (Marquette) (He's winning at a school very similar to BC)

B-List:
- Wes Miller (UNCG) (He's young, has ACC connections and UNCG was a train-wreck before he turned it around)
- Mark Schmidt (Bonnies) (He's really well connected & the Bonnies were a total teardown job also)
- Eric Musselman (Nevada) (Doubt he's coming East for this job, but he's a good coach)

None of these names would be a program defining moment. However, I'd be happy to give any of the first 6 names listed a shot. That said, I doubt any of the first 5 would take the BC job. That would leave us with Wes Miller... who I think is actually a very good choice.

If Buzz would leave Marquette for VT, any of those guys would leave their current destination for BC. I added Shaka Smart to the A-List also, he's going to be fired shortly and is a good coach.

In my opinion, Shaka would be a program-defining moment. I think he is an excellent coach who would win with players that he'd land at BC. However, I think he's being retained by Texas. It is a shame though. BC would be all over hiring a guy who is being financially supported by another program.

Jeff Goodman talking BC today...
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9944291328
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9697017856
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 3050494977

Since folks like to pretend that we are going to make a move, I will bump this post from last year.

I continue to believe that this next hire needs to be a program defining moment. We have been deplorable since Skinner was fired. Another misstep makes us irrelevant for multiple generations (something that we won't come back from). I am all-in on Beilein and Shaka. But, to me, Wes Miller has a resume very similar to Bernabei-McNamee. For the record, I'd be psyched if that was ultimate outcome. If we missed on Beilein, Smart and Miller... I'd give Bob Richey and Wojo and Bobby Hurley a look.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum