New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:
Jack Andrade ‏@RealJackAndrade 1h
Huge news breaking on @GoLocalProv- PC coach Ed Cooley is on the shortlist to replace Steve Donahue at Boston College http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/could ... ng-search/

the nickname giver in me does not know how i feel about him (and his weird hair)

I hate it and would not hire him.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:32 pm

The people that think Cooley and Coen made Skinner a good coach suck and should go away.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 pm

If we bring Cooley are we bringing Lafleur too?

Is BC even really a step up at this moment in time? If so how?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:If we bring Cooley are we bringing Lafleur too?

Is BC even really a step up at this moment in time? If so how?

Have you been to Providence or seen the carcass of that conference?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Wash St AD's comment on Howland:

"I'm under the assumption that Ben (Howland) deserves to go to a program that hasn't got the rebuilding requirements that (WSU) has."

That said, I can't imagine they are in worse shape than us.

We have a lot of talent returning. We could be a winning team next year.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Wash St AD's comment on Howland:

"I'm under the assumption that Ben (Howland) deserves to go to a program that hasn't got the rebuilding requirements that (WSU) has."

That said, I can't imagine they are in worse shape than us.

We have a lot of talent returning. We could be a winning team next year.

With a real basketball coach instead of a snake oil faker, this is potentially 18-20 win talent. Always has been
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Schmidt is a very good coach. The person shitting on his record at Saint Bonnies needs to understand a couple of things:

1. Van Bredakoff not only pretty much destroyed the basketball program at Saint Bonnies, he almost took the entire school down--member of the BOT killed himself because he thought the scandal and the implosion of the basketball team was going to bankrupt the school. Imagine a BOT member caring that much--I could think of one member of the BC BOT I'd love to watch eat a gun while his Chef-with-a-tire-track-across-his-midsection-son watched with grim satisfaction. Anyway, picture what JOB did to BC times 1000 and then compounding that by hiring a staggeringly incompetent Anthony Solomon because he has the Coach K seal of approval and Bonnies needed good publicity of any kind. then come in and try to clean up that nuclear waste dump and convince kids t play in Olean, New York. Schmidt did it.

2. He is a very good recruiter. He was the primary recruiter for some great Xavier teams and he has upgraded Bonnies talent exponentially since his arrival.

3. He is good at discovering diamonds in the rough--see Andrew Nicholson and I can guarantee you his current center Ndoye will be collecting an NBA paycheck in two years.

4. Bonnies was unanimously picked to finish dead last in the A-10 this year and they went 18-15 with wins over two ranked teams.

Schmidt is not my first choice. That would be Howland. However, if we are even considering Tommy Amaker or someone similarly unimpressive, someone ought to drive out to Olean and bring Schmidt to the Heights before Leahy can fuck this up. The guy bleeds maroon and gold and he would recruit the shit out of NYC and DC. I do think he sometimes overthinks it at the end of games, but he doesn't whistle and he won't be doing offensive-defensive substitutions with 38 minutes left to play.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Schmidt is meh. He's a better coach than Amaker, but Amaker would recruit better. Of course, Angry Dick and I are better coaches than Amaker.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:
Huge news breaking on @GoLocalProv- PC coach Ed Cooley is on the shortlist to replace Steve Donahue at Boston College http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/could ... ng-search/

I don't believe this or any other reports about Brad Bates' "short list" after the Thamel report last week.

That said, I think the ship has sailed on Cooley.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Ship sailed when he showed he can't coach fer shit
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey, remember when everyone knew BB's finalists for the football job and then it was none of them?

Kthanx.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm

My top 3 candidates would be:
1. Ben Howland
2. Mike Hopkins
3. Mike Lonergan
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:

MaroonNGold is oiling up as we speak.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

How have we gone this far with a coaching vacancy without someone floating a Jon Gruden rumor yet?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:My top 3 candidates would be:
1. Ben Howland
2. Mike Hopkins
3. Mike Lonergan

My bottom 3:

Ed Cooley
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NJM89 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Danya Abrams said on twitter that he would love to be an assistant at the school. Could be the Al Washington type of recruiter that we need.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:How have we gone this far with a coaching vacancy without someone floating a Jon Gruden rumor yet?

I respect his passion, but I'm only interested if he brings Hafley or whoever that guy (or should I say THIS GUY) is the New Jerseyites are always fluffing. We need an ace recruiter.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:01 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:How have we gone this far with a coaching vacancy without someone floating a Jon Gruden rumor yet?

I respect his passion, but I'm only interested if he brings Hafley or whoever that guy (or should I say THIS GUY) is the New Jerseyites are always fluffing. We need an ace recruiter.

What about these assistants?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Bates doesn't talk (especially like GDF did). As such, no one knows what he's thinking, who he will interview and ultimately hire (especially media-types who will claim they know his list). Generally, ADs hire guys they have known previously (or had some sort of connection with). For instance, you could look at coaches who were I'm the SEC during his run at Vandy (I thought of Pelfrey) or obviously his time in the MAC (Dan Dakich). Btw, just saw Louie Orr got fired from Bowling Green. I had no idea he was there (which could be a warning sign for the Hopkins bandwagon).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 pm

considering we used an x's and o's guy to fill the last hyuuge scholarship cluster and it didn't work out, maybe we should try a recruiting guru this time around. or, you know, stop needing 7 man recruiting classes every four years.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

also, I am incredibly disappointed that the best coach on the market WENT TO BC, and didn't even have a chance to interview. Auburn was on it. that should have been us
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:also, I am incredibly disappointed that the best coach on the market WENT TO BC, and didn't even have a chance to interview. Auburn was on it. that should have been us

I loved Auburn's AD's tweet. It just said "Boom."
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:26 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:also, I am incredibly disappointed that the best coach on the market WENT TO BC, and didn't even have a chance to interview. Auburn was on it. that should have been us

Can we please get over Pearl? It was never going to happen. He did not want to be at BC.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:27 am

bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39 am

I'm not particularly on the Cooley bandwagon. I view him similarly as I do Amaker. Nonetheless, it sounds like he did a hell of a job handling the situation. Immediately suspended both kids (causing one to leave). Neither kid played for the Friars this year. Contrast that with what the National Champs did with the eventual Heisman winner. The 900 APR probably is more problematic for BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm not particularly on the Cooley bandwagon. I view him similarly as I do Amaker. Nonetheless, it sounds like he did a hell of a job handling the situation. Immediately suspended both kids (causing one to leave). Neither kid played for the Friars this year. Contrast that with what the National Champs did with the eventual Heisman winner. The 900 APR probably is more problematic for BC.

what happened the last time we hired a black coach from RI? only the best run of BC basketball in history! Cooley! Cooley! Cooley! Cooley!
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Exceeding the $$ Cooley makes at PC is also problematic.

He's not coming here for a ton of reasons.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:He's not coming here for a ton of reasons.

Reasons 1-10: He listens to Al Skinner

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:36 am

when did you shave your head?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:

Can we please get over Pearl? It was never going to happen. He did not want to be at BC.

You are close here, just backward.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum