New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:00 pm

VT, even in it's horrible state is able to land a really good coach like Buzz Williams.

So all the doubters can shut it. Being in the ACC alone means we can pull someone good as long as we pay. That was the issue in the past though...
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Former UCLA coach Ben Howland wants Marquette. He wants back in the Big East. He makes sense to continue similar path of play.

https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/447127418227392512
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 pm

VT just paid it's coach 7 years, $18 million.

BC better pony up or else we will continue to be left behind and become irrelevant.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

It actually makes sense to pay the hoops coach more than football coach, as there are less staffers and less overall costs associated with the program.

That being said, I expect BC to on the cheap side and refuse to pay what Howland gets offered by other teams. If VT gets Buzz, Wake gets Howland and we get Amaker, then we're in deep shit.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:It actually makes sense to pay the hoops coach more than football coach, as there are less staffers and less overall costs associated with the program.

That being said, I expect BC to on the cheap side and refuse to pay what Howland gets offered by other teams. If VT gets Buzz, Wake gets Howland and we get Amaker, then we're in deep shit.

And less revenue.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:08 pm

I wish we had the balls to offer Shaka Smart are large sum of money.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Does anyone have a clue what York gets paid?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
Former UCLA coach Ben Howland wants Marquette. He wants back in the Big East. He makes sense to continue similar path of play.

https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/447127418227392512

I'm pretty sure that Marq and USF will end up with a better coaches (as they are both willing to pay more... even though they generate a fraction of the revenues. BC pays what would be considered decent 15 years ago.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:VT, even in it's horrible state is able to land a really good coach like Buzz Williams.

So all the doubters can shut it. Being in the ACC alone means we can pull someone good as long as we pay. That was the issue in the past though...

It only means that if you take all that great ACC revenue and reinvest it in the department... which is something BC/Leahy/BOT is loathe to do.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:30 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:Calhoun could not deal with being #1/#1A at UCONN and even remotely sharing the light with Geno and the nag team. You think he could deal with being #3 at BC behind football and hockey? Imagine Calhoun trying to piss on Jerry York?

Have some sack if you are a BC Guy and shoot this fucking thing down. Prior to today's leaked "news," not one of you would have pissed on this asshole if he was on fire.

A BC Guy cares about winning... PERIOD. End of fucking story.

Calhoun is an asshole. But, he's a winner. Basically, he's the exact opposite of Don. Personally, I'd be more than OK with it. We'd whore-it-out for a few years, kick the shit on the recruiting trail and then be doing this search In 4 years again (but in a MUCH better position). My only concern is that he's 72 and he'll die before 4 years.

Here's one of my famous predictions... BC will win more and have the program in much better shape 4 years from now than whatever MAC-equivalent, compromised, good for New England, bullshit marin-approved, cheap selection who'll be introduced in 2 weeks. Everyone freaking out over the potential interest is giving a prime example why BC permanently sucks at sports.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hawaiirob {l Wrote}:Calhoun could not deal with being #1/#1A at UCONN and even remotely sharing the light with Geno and the nag team. You think he could deal with being #3 at BC behind football and hockey? Imagine Calhoun trying to piss on Jerry York?

Have some sack if you are a BC Guy and shoot this fucking thing down. Prior to today's leaked "news," not one of you would have pissed on this asshole if he was on fire.

Calhoun is an asshole. But, he's a winner. Basically, he's the exact opposite of Don. Personally, I'd be more than OK with it. We'd whore-it-out for a few years, kick the shit on the recruiting trail and then be doing this search In 4 years again (but in a MUCH better position). My only concern is that he's 72 and he'll die before 4 years.

Here's one of my famous predictions... BC will win more and have the program in much better shape 4 years from now than whatever MAC-equivalent, compromised, good for New England, bullshit marin-approved, cheap selection who'll be introduced in 2 weeks. Everyone freaking out over the potential interest is giving a prime example why BC permanently sucks at sports.

Some of your sentences don't mean things.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby h2o on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Fuck Calhoun. Pay the money to get Howland and restructure Daz's contract to keep him happy. Shit or get off the pot, BC.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Does anyone have a clue what York gets paid?

Biggest bargain in sports.

Jerry York received a base compensation of $454,075 and a total compensation of $528,299 in 2011-12
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:57 pm

If Calhoun ever was the coach here, iwnh, BC would be on probation for the next decade after that scumbag took his final bike ride into the sunset

The fucking illiterates he was able to get into uconn would never fly here. Shit Kemba was held up as their beacon of student athlete and the kid graduated in 3 years having never read a book in his life
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:If Calhoun ever was the coach here, iwnh, BC would be on probation for the next decade after that scumbag took his final bike ride into the sunset

The fucking illiterates he was able to get into uconn would never fly here. Shit Kemba was held up as their beacon of student athlete and the kid graduated in 3 years having never read a book in his life

Pussy.

Academic risks... sleazy AAU guys... bad grad rates... wah-fucking-wah. Calhoun is no different than any of these other 64 hustlers in the tourney. Might as well just bring back Don so everyone can feel good about the 8-wins we got... because we did it the "right way."

Real excited to see who of Masiello, Lonergan, Kowalzcyk, Hopkins, Amaker, Jones, Coen, O'Shea and Schmidt get the job. Real fucking elite list of winners. No doubt half of them can finally lead BC to the Final Four.

BC fans who are afraid to win deserve their irrelevant basketball program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Not saying I wouldnt want it mojs, I'm sick of taking the first says of the tourney off and BC not being there

As I said earlier though IWNH
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Not saying I wouldnt want it mojs, I'm sick of taking the first says of the tourney off and BC not being there

As I said earlier though IWNH

I'll say it. Even if Calhoun didn't look like he died five years ago, I still wouldn't want him to be the coach at BC. I guess it goes back to my childhood. When I was 6, I played in a tee ball game, and we won, and then the other team's bus exploded and they all died. Ever since then I've been afraid of winning.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Let's see a HOF coach, 3 time National Champion, local product, why the hell would BC want to have the bball program overshadow the hockey program? It makes no sense whatsoever. Look between O'Shea and Schmidt BC can lock up the next 10 years at the bottom of the ACC. Win? Win? Win? Who the hell said this hire was about winning?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:11 am

72 years old and in poor health. Plus he's publicly bad mouthed the administration which I don't care so much about but I'm sure that factors into whether or not the same administration would want to hire him or not.

How much work in his last few years was him vs. his assistants? I would worry this would turn into a "cash checks in retirement" situation.

Anyway, people are acting like the choice is Calhoun or Amaker here. One hasn't said anything and the other has already had his interest classified as "one sided."
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:11 am

Not that it matters as this is a non -starter, but Calhoun is 72 and an old 72 at that.

Not sure if its accurate but a Google search just provided that the oldest active D1 coach is 71.

I really think that ends the discussion unless he brings an acceptable successor with him.

This mess is a multi-year fix.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:13 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Not that it matters as this is a non -starter, but Calhoun is 72 and an old 72 at that.

Not sure if its accurate but a Google search just provided that the oldest active D1 coach is 71.

I really think that ends the discussion unless he brings an acceptable successor with him.

larry brown is 73. but the point still stands.

i don't think its happening. And i wouldn't take him over howland
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Not that it matters as this is a non -starter, but Calhoun is 72 and an old 72 at that.

hi

larry brown is 73. but the point still stands.

i don't think its happening. And i wouldn't take him over howland

I thought there must be someone older
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:32 am

Could someone please add Jim Calhoun to the definition of a BC guy in the EO dictionary? Don't forget the red font...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:49 am

I kinda wish BC was a basketball factory that people accused of doing sleazy things. In fact, we kinda were right before *** ******* was dismissed. Man I miss being in the tournament.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:If Calhoun ever was the coach here, iwnh, BC would be on probation for the next decade after that scumbag took his final bike ride into the sunset

Pussy.

Academic risks... sleazy AAU guys... bad grad rates... wah-fucking-wah. Calhoun is no different than any of these other 64 hustlers in the tourney. Might as well just bring back Don so everyone can feel good about the 8-wins we got... because we did it the "right way."

Real excited to see who of Masiello, Lonergan, Kowalzcyk, Hopkins, Amaker, Jones, Coen, O'Shea and Schmidt get the job. Real fucking elite list of winners. No doubt half of them can finally lead BC to the Final Four.

Wait so now there is no middle ground between hiring a 72 year old who was forced to retire due to health issues and hiring some mid-major guy who got his team to the tourny for the first time?

Fuck you all. We are getting Shaka Smart and there will be no complaining. :shock
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Pussy.

My sources say that Calhoun was never, and never will be, considered for the job. My sources also say that Calhoun never expressed an interest in the job. Furthermore, my sources say that homojs makes out with an 8x10 of Calhoun.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Now that you guys got the ridiculous ideas of poaching someone from the Big 5, Big East and AAC out of your systems ("but, but VT isn't a better job"). We can go back to focusing on the Ivies, A10, MAC and MAAC.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... /303220023
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Now that you guys got the ridiculous ideas of poaching someone from the Big 5, Big East and AAC out of your systems ("but, but VT isn't a better job"). We can go back to focusing on the Ivies, A10, MAC and MAAC.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2014 ... /303220023

You are loving this.

If BC hires a big time coach you can say how happily surprised you are that they paid a top tier guy, but you will love it even more if BC picks an up and comer because you will get to tell everyone how you were always right.

So lame. Why don't you just go follow Rutgers full time?
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:17 pm

I am not opposed to hiring a 72 year old coach. Many of the players would look up to a grandfather type figure. It worked for Spaz as he initially had 7 wins but then ran into some bad luck. I think Calhoun gets the program to .500, but not necessarily in the tournament. This is way better than what is going on now.

That being said, getting Amaker solves the "Alabama on Saturday, Harvard the rest of the week" problem. It would be Harvard on game day, Harvard during the week. Plus, Amaker would not have to move his family, which makes a lot of sense.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Over on Eagle Action the Vineyard Vinelanders are outraged BC would even consider hiring Calhoun. Losers. They are concerned he's too much of a prick. We need a prick as head coach for our basketball team. The nice guy approach hasn't worked the last four years.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum