New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Would we really have been able to dish out a 6 yr 14.77 Million dollar contract to Pearl, or anyone else?

Not only is this salary double what we payed the Don..... It is also is more than what we pay our Football coach (1.75 Mill)......
Add in the fact that we have two years of the Don's buyout on the books (I think) and I don't really believe BC paying a basketball salary like the one Peal received was/is ever feasible.

Serious question, if we offer a basketball coach more than the Daz, how would we justify it (when football brings in a lot more revenue to BC than basketball)?

Also, wouldn't we have to give the Daz a raise? (he is the 66th best paid NCAA football coach)

I cant see us going more than 1.5 mil on a BBall coach. FWIW

This is the point. If BC were willing to pay, Pearl would coach here. You're an ACC hoop school, start acting like it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm not particularly on the Cooley bandwagon. I view him similarly as I do Amaker. Nonetheless, it sounds like he did a hell of a job handling the situation. Immediately suspended both kids (causing one to leave). Neither kid played for the Friars this year. Contrast that with what the National Champs did with the eventual Heisman winner. The 900 APR probably is more problematic for BC.

Cooley suspended both for out of conference play. The school went over his head and suspended the kids the whole year. That is why Brandon Austin left. The other freshman is still around, but Austin transferred to Oregon.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 am

Re pearl, if I had to guess its

20% don't want to pay
80% don't want him
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Re pearl, if I had to guess its

20% don't want to pay
80% don't want him

Regardless of the breakdown of the school's motivation, its 100% the school and 0% Pearl. For the money, Pearl would have coached here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

20% don't want to pay
80% don't want him

Regardless of the breakdown of the school's motivation, its 100% the school and 0% Pearl. For the money, Pearl would have coached here.

yes, but the point is I wouldn't make a blanket statement like: bc is cheap, therefore they don't want him.

let's see how much we pay / who we get before making that statement.

re addaziani - not sure what people want. did you want bc to pay more simply so we say we could? or do you think we didn't hire someone because of how much they cost? if you believe the latter is the case, who would you have preferred they hired? (this is a question for normal people, not the basketball mongoloids who think we have a shot at mark few)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 am

my opinion is that we will offer a mid tier guy for a mid tier salary much like we did for the sarge.

we will NOT pay the basketball coach more than the football coach... especially since we were already losing money paying one of the lowest basketball salaries in the acc.

if we can get the fucking nerds to buy tickets and hold their gaming sessions at conte during a basketball game, we might be able to justify hiring someone that demands more but bc will never be a field of dreams based hiring school
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 am

How much money do you think BC hoop actually makes on tickets?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How much money do you think BC hoop actually makes on tickets?

not enough to "cover" the scholarships
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How much money do you think BC hoop actually makes on tickets?

Not enough to cover anything in that dump. Tickets are not meaningless, but close.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 am

if we can get the fucking nerds to buy tickets and hold their gaming sessions at conte during a basketball game, we might be able to justify hiring someone that demands more but bc will never be a field of dreams based hiring school

Irrelevant. Every nerd with "football tickets" has "basketball tickets" too---Gold Pass. Only thing BC loses on if students don't show to games is some popcorn and Papa G's revenue.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

20% don't want to pay
80% don't want him

If Pearl had been offered Auburn and BC, he was always going to take Auburn. Would he have coached here? Sure. But we were not his ideal landing spot (for a variety of reasons).
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

20% don't want to pay
80% don't want him

If Pearl had been offered Auburn and BC, he was always going to take Auburn. Would he have coached here? Sure. But we were not his ideal landing spot (for a variety of reasons).

In other words, this never has been about whether Pearl would coach here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:my opinion is that we will offer a mid tier guy for a mid tier salary much like we did for the sarge.

we will NOT pay the basketball coach more than the football coach... especially since we were already losing money paying one of the lowest basketball salaries in the acc.

Sadly, this is most likely true. I should cross off most everyone on my wish list.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:my opinion is that we will offer a mid tier guy for a mid tier salary much like we did for the sarge.

This. Anyone who has any understanding of BC's history in hiring coaches would say the same. Cornell, URI, St. Bonnies, American, Lafayette... those are the programs from which BC poached a head coach since 1977.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

This. Anyone who has any understanding of BC's history in hiring coaches would say the same. Cornell, URI, St. Bonnies, American, Lafayette... those are the programs from which BC poached a head coach since 1977.

AL Skinner's mid major URI team would have smoked the shit out of high major BC and Scoonie Penn.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:11 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Irrelevant. Every nerd with "football tickets" has "basketball tickets" too---Gold Pass. Only thing BC loses on if students don't show to games is some popcorn and Papa G's revenue.

i know, but i like to bitch about the fucking nerds. that said, if the fucking nerds would show up it might create an atmosphere/buzz that would get other, non-nerds excited. if they put as much attention into rooting for/supporting the team as they do into their latest costume to draw attention to themselves and away from the team - we may have someone else other than ghosts in the seats
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Schmidt is a very good coach. The person shitting on his record at Saint Bonnies needs to understand a couple of things:

1. Van Bredakoff not only pretty much destroyed the basketball program at Saint Bonnies, he almost took the entire school down--member of the BOT killed himself because he thought the scandal and the implosion of the basketball team was going to bankrupt the school. Imagine a BOT member caring that much--I could think of one member of the BC BOT I'd love to watch eat a gun while his Chef-with-a-tire-track-across-his-midsection-son watched with grim satisfaction. Anyway, picture what JOB did to BC times 1000 and then compounding that by hiring a staggeringly incompetent Anthony Solomon because he has the Coach K seal of approval and Bonnies needed good publicity of any kind. then come in and try to clean up that nuclear waste dump and convince kids t play in Olean, New York. Schmidt did it.

2. He is a very good recruiter. He was the primary recruiter for some great Xavier teams and he has upgraded Bonnies talent exponentially since his arrival.

3. He is good at discovering diamonds in the rough--see Andrew Nicholson and I can guarantee you his current center Ndoye will be collecting an NBA paycheck in two years.

4. Bonnies was unanimously picked to finish dead last in the A-10 this year and they went 18-15 with wins over two ranked teams.

Schmidt is not my first choice. That would be Howland. However, if we are even considering Tommy Amaker or someone similarly unimpressive, someone ought to drive out to Olean and bring Schmidt to the Heights before Leahy can fuck this up. The guy bleeds maroon and gold and he would recruit the shit out of NYC and DC. I do think he sometimes overthinks it at the end of games, but he doesn't whistle and he won't be doing offensive-defensive substitutions with 38 minutes left to play.

Yeah, agree with all of this. Bonaventure is the "family school" (one generation up) so always keep an eye there. Was at Barclays last weekend - side note, incredible fan base and passion, not just among current students.

Schmidt is not the best coach in the country. But he is passionate, and is a tireless recruiter - as someone mentioned, with better reach he had great success in "mainstream" recruiting and has turned Bonnies around with guys from corners of Canada, 2 current players from Senegal, their departing PG (very reminiscent of Lou Hinnant) is from Suriname, JUCO routes, etc. And he would bleed the Maroon and Gold. The parallels to Daz seem obvious here.

He wouldn't top my list, but he should be on the list, IMO. He had brought Adams onto his SBU staff but something happened and he left before the season even started - but if that combo could reconnect, that could be fun.

Bottom line is he took a program that was absolutely dead and have made them at least worth the energy of the fanbase. That Nicholson tourney team got screwed in its seed and matchup and still should've pulled the 3/14 upset if not for an end game collapse. Having a team competitive year in and out in Olean is pretty tough, especially as the A-10 gets recognized for being the quality league it is. He would absolutely have this program back to at least the latter Skinner years. That may not sound exciting, but right now, its a huge upgrade.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Question for ATL:

I remember you saying that you believed BC is willing to dish out $$ for a good BBall coach and that you thought $$ wouldn't be the limiting factor for someone like Howland. If this is true, and BC does spend somewhere around 1.75+ Mill on a BBall coach, how would they justify paying the BBall coach more-so than the Football coach?

Why are you so obsessed with comparing the two like it's a revenue to salary ratio is the only consideration? How about looking at the resumes of the actual coaches? Just to start - Howland has 19 years of head coaching experience, 3 final fours, and 10 NCAA appearances. Before he was hired Addazio had 2 years of HCing experience and one was a winning season.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not enough to cover anything in that dump. Tickets are not meaningless, but close.

I've never understood why people think ticket sales are a huge source of revenue. Maybe back in the dicketys when Dr. Jack Ryan wooed lasses with his onion belt.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I've never understood why people think ticket sales are a huge source of revenue. Maybe back in the dicketys when Dr. Jack Ryan wooed lasses with his onion belt.

you're right - all schools... carolina, rcc, bc, etc. should just light their ticket money on fire because it's meaningless and no one should care what people are willing to pay to watch
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

you're right - all schools... carolina, rcc, bc, etc. should just light their ticket money on fire because it's meaningless and no one should care what people are willing to pay to watch

Seriously. Why don't they just SAVE money and not tell anyone when the games take place. No need to pay ticket takers and security. Just play the games at the outdoor practice facility.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am

Tom Crean, y'all
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am

We pay adaziani 1.75.

We could land a damn good coach at 1.5-1.6, so im not worried about that.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Schmidt is a very good coach. The person shitting on his record at Saint Bonnies needs to understand a couple of things:

1. Van Bredakoff not only pretty much destroyed the basketball program at Saint Bonnies, he almost took the entire school down--member of the BOT killed himself because he thought the scandal and the implosion of the basketball team was going to bankrupt the school. Imagine a BOT member caring that much--I could think of one member of the BC BOT I'd love to watch eat a gun while his Chef-with-a-tire-track-across-his-midsection-son watched with grim satisfaction. Anyway, picture what JOB did to BC times 1000 and then compounding that by hiring a staggeringly incompetent Anthony Solomon because he has the Coach K seal of approval and Bonnies needed good publicity of any kind. then come in and try to clean up that nuclear waste dump and convince kids t play in Olean, New York. Schmidt did it.

2. He is a very good recruiter. He was the primary recruiter for some great Xavier teams and he has upgraded Bonnies talent exponentially since his arrival.

3. He is good at discovering diamonds in the rough--see Andrew Nicholson and I can guarantee you his current center Ndoye will be collecting an NBA paycheck in two years.

4. Bonnies was unanimously picked to finish dead last in the A-10 this year and they went 18-15 with wins over two ranked teams.

Schmidt is not my first choice. That would be Howland. However, if we are even considering Tommy Amaker or someone similarly unimpressive, someone ought to drive out to Olean and bring Schmidt to the Heights before Leahy can fuck this up. The guy bleeds maroon and gold and he would recruit the shit out of NYC and DC. I do think he sometimes overthinks it at the end of games, but he doesn't whistle and he won't be doing offensive-defensive substitutions with 38 minutes left to play.

Yeah, agree with all of this. Bonaventure is the "family school" (one generation up) so always keep an eye there. Was at Barclays last weekend - side note, incredible fan base and passion, not just among current students.

Schmidt is not the best coach in the country. But he is passionate, and is a tireless recruiter - as someone mentioned, with better reach he had great success in "mainstream" recruiting and has turned Bonnies around with guys from corners of Canada, 2 current players from Senegal, their departing PG (very reminiscent of Lou Hinnant) is from Suriname, JUCO routes, etc. And he would bleed the Maroon and Gold. The parallels to Daz seem obvious here.

He wouldn't top my list, but he should be on the list, IMO. He had brought Adams onto his SBU staff but something happened and he left before the season even started - but if that combo could reconnect, that could be fun.

Bottom line is he took a program that was absolutely dead and have made them at least worth the energy of the fanbase. That Nicholson tourney team got screwed in its seed and matchup and still should've pulled the 3/14 upset if not for an end game collapse. Having a team competitive year in and out in Olean is pretty tough, especially as the A-10 gets recognized for being the quality league it is. He would absolutely have this program back to at least the latter Skinner years. That may not sound exciting, but right now, its a huge upgrade.

I am also the son of a Bonnie's alum. ("If they had only landed Alcindor, the whole future of the school would've changed...") I like Schmidt, but the guy wouldn't get a sniff of this job if he had not graduated from BC. He deserves a courtesy interview, but not the job. I would rather roll the dice with a guy who has no head coaching experience like Hopkins than Schmidt.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 am

One name that I haven't heard mentioned yet is Billy Donovan. He would be an interesting fit.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

seriuzbidness says what?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 am

there would be one positive to signing schmidt

ImageImage
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

seriuzbidness says what?

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yes, Conte Forum ... Dean Dome, very similar. Very similar in that ticket sales are borderline meaningless, but with a very large gap in degree.

BC's ticket revenue is probably 8-10 times more meaningless than UNC's. But until the TV gets uninvented, meaningless.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

Haven't seen this name mentioned but what about Pat Chambers from Pedo St.? He has done a half decent job given the circumstances. It is arguably more difficult to recruit there than at BC, he succeeded at BU and he is from the Jay Wright coaching tree. Just a thought. :shrug
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum