New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:39 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As for Mr. Nesbitt, I suspect he is going to have a rough go of it next year in Olean.

Agreed. I'm sure the cheerleading coach (you know, the one with balls) will be whipping up the crowd looking to exact payback... even if Coach Coward remains too afraid.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:55 am

my guess is that schmidt knows that the cheerleaders are, in fact, a bunch of filthy whores and his catholic morals would not allow him to question the statements of fact bestowed upon them.

we have a pinned thread that reflects a time that this board went through the same issue with the bc cheerleaders. it happens
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:my guess is that schmidt knows that the cheerleaders are, in fact, a bunch of filthy whores and his catholic morals would not allow him to question the statements of fact bestowed upon them.

we have a pinned thread that reflects a time that this board went through the same issue with the bc cheerleaders. it happens

This is as good an explanation as any. Not much to do in Olean but drink, screw and watch a basketball program that is better than our own. Considering how small the school is, the cheerleaders might literally have slept with the whole school.

Also, HomoJS, Ward told me he is going to stab you in the neck at your next Bosco reunion as a result of your anti-Schmidt agenda. He is as angry a man as I have ever met in my life and I think you should feel fear.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:34 pm

is he even angrier than the original angry ty?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:is he even angrier than the original angry ty?

Yes. Imagine how angry you'd be if you grew up in North Jersey, went to school in Olean, and were paying alimony to three different women. And you had to spend four years trapped in a remarkably gay all boys prep school with HomoJS during your formative years. It really is a wonder he has not killed 100 truck stop hookers at this point--unless of course he has killed 100 truck stop hookers, but hasn't been caught yet, which is entirely possible.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:22 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

Yes. Imagine how angry you'd be if you grew up in North Jersey, went to school in Olean, and were paying alimony to three different women. And you had to spend four years trapped in a remarkably gay all boys prep school with HomoJS during your formative years. It really is a wonder he has not killed 100 truck stop hookers at this point--unless of course he has killed 100 truck stop hookers, but hasn't been caught yet, which is entirely possible.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:10 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

This. :ace

Dick also left out the part about Ward going grey at the ripe age of 16.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:15 pm

That’s true. My wife was friends with his second wife and he was definitely salt and pepper in the high school senior portrait they had in their house. By the time I met him—when he was in his early 30s—he looked eerily like the hitman played by Tom Cruise in the shitty movie with Jamie Foxx. And although I am considerably bigger than him, I never pointed this out to him for fear of catching a broken pint glass in the throat.

Anyway, I shared your anti-Schmidt agenda with him and I can just say that I am glad I am not you.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I usually have strong opinions on these things. But, I think the program is such a mess and college BB is so influx that I really don't know the path forward. Of course, unrealistically hiring someone like John Beilein is the easiest answer. Folks have mentioned Wojo and Willard and that would be most in line with previous hires (graduating form A10 to BigEast is comparable with going from current BigEast to ACC). Maybe a re-tread like Shaka Smart or his predecessor Anthony Grant would work. Maybe Mike Hopkins jumps before he is pushed. Maybe Bobby Hurley really wants to come back East.

Outside of that... I think it is a pure crapshoot. Can Wes Miller (or Mike Rhoads, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries, Jeff Boals, Porter Moser or Bob Richey) be effective at a major program? Can Eisley run a program and recruit as well as he has at Michigan? Do you follow the Hafley model by pulling a top assistant off an elite program like Hubert Davis or Jason Williford or Jon Scheyer or someone like Dane Fife (who Kraft overlapped with during their time at Indiana)? Do you go boring, safe and old with Cooley, Coen, Schmidt, O'Shea, Becker, Amaker?

I do not think there is a clear cut answer. I do not think there is a no-brainer option (like if Brad Stevens was fired but didn't want to move from Wellesley). Accordingly, I think Kraft should just go with who he thinks is the best coach to build a program from the ground up. It should be viewed as if BC Basketball is a new expansion team in the ACC. You need someone who can establish a foundation and a culture more than you need someone who is good at Xs and Os. Recruiting will be important, but possibly more important is the ability to develop players (which is something that hasn't been seen since Skinner).

Kevin Williard please

Sounds like Willard is going to Maryland and Shaheen Holloway is returning to his alma mater.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I usually have strong opinions on these things. But, I think the program is such a mess and college BB is so influx that I really don't know the path forward. Of course, unrealistically hiring someone like John Beilein is the easiest answer. Folks have mentioned Wojo and Willard and that would be most in line with previous hires (graduating form A10 to BigEast is comparable with going from current BigEast to ACC). Maybe a re-tread like Shaka Smart or his predecessor Anthony Grant would work. Maybe Mike Hopkins jumps before he is pushed. Maybe Bobby Hurley really wants to come back East.

Outside of that... I think it is a pure crapshoot. Can Wes Miller (or Mike Rhoads, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries, Jeff Boals, Porter Moser or Bob Richey) be effective at a major program? Can Eisley run a program and recruit as well as he has at Michigan? Do you follow the Hafley model by pulling a top assistant off an elite program like Hubert Davis or Jason Williford or Jon Scheyer or someone like Dane Fife (who Kraft overlapped with during their time at Indiana)? Do you go boring, safe and old with Cooley, Coen, Schmidt, O'Shea, Becker, Amaker?

I do not think there is a clear cut answer. I do not think there is a no-brainer option (like if Brad Stevens was fired but didn't want to move from Wellesley). Accordingly, I think Kraft should just go with who he thinks is the best coach to build a program from the ground up. It should be viewed as if BC Basketball is a new expansion team in the ACC. You need someone who can establish a foundation and a culture more than you need someone who is good at Xs and Os. Recruiting will be important, but possibly more important is the ability to develop players (which is something that hasn't been seen since Skinner).

Kevin Williard please

Sounds like Willard is going to Maryland and Shaheen Holloway is returning to his alma mater.

That would be an upgrade for Seton Hall. I thought Terps would have made a run at Cooley.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Kevin Williard please

That would be an upgrade for Seton Hall. I thought Terps would have made a run at Cooley.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:19 pm

I think it is clear that no one gives a crap about BC-affiliated coaches besides the 5 people who post on this board. Cooley, Schmidt, Eisley, Coen, O’Shea, Duquette… no Power 5 team is kicking the tires (and probably never have). Just so how insanely irrelevant we are when fans pine-away for irrelevance.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think it is clear that no one gives a crap about BC-affiliated coaches besides the 5 people who post on this board. Cooley, Schmidt, Eisley, Coen, O’Shea, Duquette… no Power 5 team is kicking the tires (and probably never have). Just so how insanely irrelevant we are when fans pine-away for irrelevance.

At this point Cooley has an indentity established away from BC. Earl will get looks if he keeps improving.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:05 pm

From rothstein:
Sources: Maine has hired Boston College's Chris Markwood as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:09 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think it is clear that no one gives a crap about BC-affiliated coaches besides the 5 people who post on this board. Cooley, Schmidt, Eisley, Coen, O’Shea, Duquette… no Power 5 team is kicking the tires (and probably never have). Just so how insanely irrelevant we are when fans pine-away for irrelevance.

At this point Cooley has an indentity established away from BC. Earl will get looks if he keeps improving.

This was true when we hired grant and the preceding years when JC was on the hot seat

He was never coming here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:From rothstein:
Sources: Maine has hired Boston College's Chris Markwood as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.

That's a loss. Good recruiter. Good for him.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum