New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Villanova law threw money around like BC law threw waitlists. BC should worry more about keeping up with BU.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30437
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2431

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:56 pm

HJS wrote:We may be regressing, but there is now way we slipped all the way behind Villanova (with all due respect to the alleged claims of a daughter of a friend of an anonymous message board poster).

Anecdotally, Chris "Mad Dog" Russo was on the radio recently BLASTING BC and Holy Cross for waitlisting his daughter (and rejected from USC). She got into Wake and had money from her safety school... (wait for it) Villanova. His daughter wanted to reapply to BC with a new essay and her most recent grades and he said, "Over my dead body!" So, she is going to Wake.
https://soundcloud.com/maddogsportsradio


I know someone whose kid just got into BC, Wake, Villanova and a few others. BC is not a lock to be the final choice. One of the considerations, after academics, is athletics. One of the downsides to BC that was mentioned was the cost/value proposition, especially if they could save money for grad school by spending less elsewhere. Maybe BC should again remember that exciting athletics do matter to teenagers and that parents don’t care if BC has various highly-regarded think-tanks and Centers on the study of retirement, etc. Monan understood this. Seems that the current administration doesn’t.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:21 pm

If the kid goes to nova he deserves it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30437
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2431

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:35 pm

BC, Wake and Villanova... and the kid is looking at each based on athletics as a factor??? Well, then BC is a no-brainer because (a) Nova is only has one sport and (b) Wake is about the only Power 5 school we are superior to in BB and FB.

This is such a dumb conversation. Isn’t it enough that we are frustrated with Leahy because he has no intention of ever giving athletics the support (financial and otherwise) every other ACC program gets? Why do folks feel the need to manufacture further outrage by creating fictional scenarios? Everything being the worst thing ever to happen ever is just such an exhausting trope that it muddles the valid arguments.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 213

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 am

My cousin got into BC and IUPUI and got waitlisted at Northeastern Night School. He's not even considering BC right now.
User avatar
Onyx Blackman
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am
Karma: 2805

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:11 am

apparently VT's 2 favorites are the leprechaun at natti light & willard at seton hall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17620
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3034

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 am

Onyx Blackman wrote:My cousin got into BC and IUPUI and got waitlisted at Northeastern Night School. He's not even considering BC right now.

My god son got into Boston College and Monmouth last year (while getting waitlisted at his first choice, Ramapo). He chose to got to school in Long Branch because their basketball team has a more entertaining bench and they have ping pong tables in the student center. BC's bench is boring and the school doesn't even have a student center! Really... what more will it take for the Board to step in and remove Fr. Bill???
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 213

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 am

Fantastic Ramapo reference.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30437
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2431

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:12 pm

HJS wrote:BC, Wake and Villanova... and the kid is looking at each based on athletics as a factor??? Well, then BC is a no-brainer because (a) Nova is only has one sport and (b) Wake is about the only Power 5 school we are superior to in BB and FB.

This is such a dumb conversation. Isn’t it enough that we are frustrated with Leahy because he has no intention of ever giving athletics the support (financial and otherwise) every other ACC program gets? Why do folks feel the need to manufacture further outrage by creating fictional scenarios? Everything being the worst thing ever to happen ever is just such an exhausting trope that it muddles the valid arguments.


I'm not creating a fictional scenario, and never said everything is the worst thing ever. The kid is also looking at honors programs at some state schools. Athletics is not the primary factor, but one of them. It's definitely given Villanova more recognition - the number of applications they received jumped 22% after they won the national championship. No different than the Flutie factor. My points are: A. Sports do matter (at least a little) to teenagers, who are the primary audience for universities; and 2. BC, like a number of non-Ivy schools costing over $70k/year, is perceived by many to not be providing a great value for the cost.

Tell me that no one who's on this board didn't consider athletics at least a little when looking at schools as a 17 year old (besides TRE, who hates sports).
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 62

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:22 pm

BostonCollege1 wrote:
HJS wrote:BC, Wake and Villanova... and the kid is looking at each based on athletics as a factor??? Well, then BC is a no-brainer because (a) Nova is only has one sport and (b) Wake is about the only Power 5 school we are superior to in BB and FB.

This is such a dumb conversation. Isn’t it enough that we are frustrated with Leahy because he has no intention of ever giving athletics the support (financial and otherwise) every other ACC program gets? Why do folks feel the need to manufacture further outrage by creating fictional scenarios? Everything being the worst thing ever to happen ever is just such an exhausting trope that it muddles the valid arguments.


I'm not creating a fictional scenario, and never said everything is the worst thing ever. The kid is also looking at honors programs at some state schools. Athletics is not the primary factor, but one of them. It's definitely given Villanova more recognition - the number of applications they received jumped 22% after they won the national championship. No different than the Flutie factor. My points are: A. Sports do matter (at least a little) to teenagers, who are the primary audience for universities; and 2. BC, like a number of non-Ivy schools costing over $70k/year, is perceived by many to not be providing a great value for the cost.

Tell me that no one who's on this board didn't consider athletics at least a little when looking at schools as a 17 year old (besides TRE, who hates sports).


That kid is a moron.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 30437
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2431

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am

Newsflash: 17 year olds are morons. Even the smart ones. And if you don’t think athletics matter in terms of selectivity understand that 60 years ago Notre Dame was a lowly-rated school that competed for students with DePaul or that 40 years ago BC was a glorified commuter school with a smattering of kids from NY/NJ.

BC isn’t going to implode academically because of Leahy’s hatred of athletics, but if you don’t think athletic success in the one of the two major revenue sports doesn’t matter than you are probably a 65 year old Georgetown grad wondering how Notre Dame walked past you in the rankings or a similarly situated Holy Cross grad wondering why BC is now a noticeably better school than Worcester Jesuit.
Dick Rosenthal
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 461

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Onyx Blackman wrote:My cousin got into BC and IUPUI and got waitlisted at Northeastern Night School.


I'm on the selection committee. Don't worry he's in. I fast tracked him.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16132
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -659

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:10 am

innocentbystander wrote:
Onyx Blackman wrote:My cousin got into BC and IUPUI and got waitlisted at Northeastern Night School.


I'm on the selection committee. Don't worry he's in. I fast tracked him.

I believe that IB is on the selection committee... which shows you what I think of Northeastern.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 213

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks, IB. This is a dream come true for him. He wants to major in VCR repair and Northeastern's program is second to none.
User avatar
Onyx Blackman
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am
Karma: 2805

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Onyx Blackman wrote:Thanks, IB. This is a dream come true for him. He wants to major in VCR repair and Northeastern's program is second to none.


In all seriousness, I've gone to a couple alumni events here in Phoenix. There just aren't all that many Huskies in Phoenix, either that or they all want to fly under the radar the way I have. And the few alumni that I have met, I'm typically the only one who went evenings.

I'll be the first to admit that you aren't going to get all that much out of the evening program other than a cheaper piece of paper than the day students paid top dollar to get. But if you are married with kids and you want to finish that degree, the evening program works out quite well. They really work with the students when they have conflicts in attending class or whatever else. Its not for everyone but it was for me.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16132
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -659

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Marriage of convenience alert! Cronin (who seemed overly anxious to leave his alma mater) found someone to pay the buyout, but that is only after UCLA put up a Chris-Davis-like streak of strikeouts.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 213

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm

HJS wrote:Marriage of convenience alert! Cronin (who seemed overly anxious to leave his alma mater) found someone to pay the buyout, but that is only after UCLA put up a Chris-Davis-like streak of strikeouts.


There’s another good candidate off my list
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15922
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -276

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:28 am

is st. johns a better job than asu for hurley?

outside of getting back east i don't see it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17620
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3034

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am

claver2010 wrote:is st. johns a better job than asu for hurley?

outside of getting back east i don't see it


Needed to get away from no space
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 527

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am

2001Eagle wrote:
claver2010 wrote:is st. johns a better job than asu for hurley?

outside of getting back east i don't see it


Needed to get away from no space


even I laughed. +5
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16132
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -659

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am

after getting turned down by UMBC, loyola chicago, iona, etc coaches, sounds like a rant a GASSON LEVEL DONOR would make about BC

hits:
1) president needs to go
2) board is a bunch of yes men
3) school handcuffing ad

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/news/bi ... ing-search
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17620
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3034

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 am

So much for a lay president curing all ills.
https://www.stjohns.edu/about/leadershi ... -biography
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13928
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 213

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Manny on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 pm

I wonder if there's a disturbed fan on a St. John's message board making scummy insinuations about his sexuality.
Manny
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:59 pm
Karma: 42

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:44 am

interesting look at ucla's cluster of a search:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la- ... story.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17620
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3034

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 am

cooley interviewed for the michigan job yesterday

michigan is using gene's search firm

small, incestuous world
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17620
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3034

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby Bender on Wed May 22, 2019 12:55 am

I don't understand why anyone would hire Gene's consulting group given the way he destroyed BC sports before he left.

He did apparently help Cooley get a new contract at Providence by giving him the interview which is nice because Cooley seems like a good guy but just seeing that Gene was in hired to head the search and then watching Jeff Goodman pump up Gene on twitter made my blood boil.
Bender
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:09 pm
Karma: 9

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed May 22, 2019 8:27 am

Bender wrote:I don't understand why anyone would hire Gene's consulting group given the way he destroyed BC sports before he left.

He did apparently help Cooley get a new contract at Providence by giving him the interview which is nice because Cooley seems like a good guy but just seeing that Gene was in hired to head the search and then watching Jeff Goodman pump up Gene on twitter made my blood boil.


Same.

Love this UM website shredding Gene and calling him out for being terrible:

https://www.mgoblog.com/content/searchb ... about-bunk
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 527

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed May 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Cooley is living the dream. He was insanely overpaid before this Michigan episode($2mm +) and got a pay bump/extension out of it. I was shocked Michigan even considered him based on his lack of tournament success and fairly mediocre overall record at PC. Now he basically has a JoePa type lifetime employment guarantee at PC and he has really done nothing, good for him.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:21 pm
Karma: 118

Previous

Return to Conte Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Untitled document