New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: New & Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Over on Eagle Action the Vineyard Vinelanders are outraged BC would even consider hiring Calhoun. Losers. They are concerned he's too much of a prick. We need a prick as head coach for our basketball team. The nice guy approach hasn't worked the last four years.

The more EA posters object to a candidate, the greater the possibility he is the perfect choice.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:07 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:If Calhoun ever was the coach here, iwnh, BC would be on probation for the next decade after that scumbag took his final bike ride into the sunset

The fucking illiterates he was able to get into uconn would never fly here. Shit Kemba was held up as their beacon of student athlete and the kid graduated in 3 years having never read a book in his life

Pussy.

Academic risks... sleazy AAU guys... bad grad rates... wah-fucking-wah. Calhoun is no different than any of these other 64 hustlers in the tourney. Might as well just bring back Don so everyone can feel good about the 8-wins we got... because we did it the "right way."

Real excited to see who of Masiello, Lonergan, Kowalzcyk, Hopkins, Amaker, Jones, Coen, O'Shea and Schmidt get the job. Real fucking elite list of winners. No doubt half of them can finally lead BC to the Final Four.

BC fans who are afraid to win deserve their irrelevant basketball program.

My sources say that Calhoun was never, and never will be, considered for the job. My sources also say that Calhoun never expressed an interest in the job. Furthermore, my sources say that homojs makes out with an 8x10 of Calhoun.

Does he make out with Calhoun's 8x10 from behind and pretend he's giving him a reach around?
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 pm

BC has been and always will be a football school.
I would not at all expect the type of hire that some of you are thinking we will end up with.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Where will Archie Miller be next year?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:BC has been and always will be a football school.
I would not at all expect the type of hire that some of you are thinking we will end up with.

Agreed. But, a hoop weirdo could point out that a fellow ACC football-first school like VT went out and hired a damn good coach. Meaning, that just because they are a football school, doesn't mean they have to suck miserably in all other sports.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:30 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Where will Archie Miller be next year?

BC will certainly give him a look.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Where will Archie Miller be next year?

BC will certainly give him a look.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if he ended up being the guy (and for what it's worth, it would really surprise me if he is). On the one hand, "mid-major guy who made a tourney run" is how guys like Stan Heath, Paul Hewitt, Keno Davis and Steve Donahue ended up flailing around in better conferences. On the other hand, I do like the way Dayton plays, and it seems like the Thad Matta/Sean Miller coaching tree is solid to date (I think Miller in particular is one of the best in the business). Plus, Archie's wife is kind of hot.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Bender on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 pm

I have not been a supporter of Tommy Amaker as the next head coach, in fact I've been getting really annoyed with Jackie MacMullan promoting him all over local media. Watching Harvard play in the tourney, I'm wondering if Amaker has improved as a game coach. I had remembered him being a flop at Seton Hall, but he actually was decent, it was more a situation where he recruited really well and the team would be overrated before each season but they did make the tourney once and they actually went to the sweet 16 which is better than Seton Hall usually does. The time in Michigan has to be viewed as a failure, I'm not sure how much had to do with leftover NCAA sanctions from their glory days. At Harvard he's had more controversy in seven seasons than they did in their entire history, and while their unprecedented success has a lot to do with lowered admission standards for Harvard, which are still on par with the rest of the Ivy league. Maybe a lot of what led his past teams to underachieve was his lack of experience, he was given bigger opportunities than he was ready for.

I'd still rather have Ben Howland, not sure if that is realistic given the types of hires they've had in the past. If there's any truth to Jay Wright wanting out I'd be all for that too, but again unrealistic. I doubt Cooley would come here without a huge sum of money and I'm not even sure if I'd want him.

I had been a supporter of Hopkins from Syracuse over Amaker but it's always dangerous to hire a guy without head coaching experience. Other names I've heard that I'm hoping they don't hire are Mike Lonergan, Bill Coen, Tim O'Shea, and Steve Masiello. And if they hire Joe Jones, Pat Skerry or Derek Kellogg I may never watch a BC game again.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 pm

I could not care less if we hire an asshole. In fact, we need an asshole type. But we don't need a guy who flat shat on one of the most special things in my life. Fuck Calhoun and the husky he rode in on.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:05 pm

From twitter machine

@franfraschilla: BC's coming hard after Tommy Amaker by promising same facility renovation he got at Michigan.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Goodman's response to that:

@GoodmanESPN
LOL

solid performance by Jay Wright
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby footer20 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:28 pm

I have always been high on Amaker. He has 17 years of coaching experience at every level. He's won championships as a player and an assistant. His run at Seton Hall can't be seen as that bad. He recruited out of Seton Hall, which NO ONE has been able to do. I'd imagine Boston College in the new ACC would be a far easier sell. At Michigan, he was hampered by NCAA restrictions. He was still bad, yes I admit, but it was ten years ago. At Harvard, I think he's proved the world he can coach. He outcoached Mick Cronin the other day and just went toe to toe with arguably the best coach and team (when healthy) in the nation. Amaker would implement some color into the program, which is much needed given the perception of racism, and the severe lack of athleticism. I'm telling you, he could put together a good product with this current squad. I could be totally wrong on him, but he seems too perfect. His family wouldn't have to move. He wouldn't be too expensive, and worst case scenario, he'll finally get an influx of talent at the Heights.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 am

Chris Cameron ‏@ChrisMCameron · Mar 20
Circle of people who will know names of #BCCoach candidates is very small, and their lips are sealed. Anything else is pure speculation.

Bates isn't Gene. Fran Frascilla has no clue who we are offering what.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:45 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
Chris Cameron ‏@ChrisMCameron · Mar 20
Circle of people who will know names of #BCCoach candidates is very small, and their lips are sealed. Anything else is pure speculation.

Bates isn't Gene. Fran Frascilla has no clue who we are offering what.

I've said it from the beginning of the process, Bates does not talk. No one knows who he's talking to or what he's thinking. Comments made by me, and I assume predictions made by others, are based on BC history and knowledge of the workings of the current admins.

That said, we will likely start hearing stuff in the press about the BC search, because agents of coaches leak shit all the time. They do this to (a) drum up interest in their client, (b) try to get the current school to up the ante, and/or (c) hope fans will encourage the AD to overpay. Further, once the decision reaches the BOT level, those guys talk like crazy (after decades with GDF).

Finally, I think it is telling as to the general perception of the BC job that media folks believe that BC would have to dedicate tens of millions of dollars to build a state-of-the-art facility just to entice a coach to leave the Ivy League.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:52 am

Hearing Wayne Tinkle of the University of Montana is getting a long look.

The thought is he should be able to wring out a few more wins with the current roster.

It will definitely piss off a few boosters, but it sends a message to the rest of the ACC: You're in trouble.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

solid performance by Jay Wright

tank mush
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Over on Eagle Action the Vineyard Vinelanders are outraged BC would even consider hiring Calhoun. Losers. They are concerned he's too much of a prick. We need a prick as head coach for our basketball team. The nice guy approach hasn't worked the last four years.

The more EA posters object to a candidate, the greater the possibility he is the perfect choice.

To further the point... there is a thread calling for the hiring of Kevin Mackey.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:43 am

I have no problem with BC hiring a prick or a guy like Calhoun. I have a problem with hiring Calhoun and his soon-to-be-deadness.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:46 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have no problem with BC hiring a prick or a guy like Calhoun. I have a problem with hiring Calhoun and his soon-to-be-deadness.

mo.j. said he would include calhoun in his annual death pool just to keep him alive. the more yukon we can get on campus the better for mo
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby NJM89 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Hearing Wayne Tinkle of the University of Montana is getting a long look.

The thought is he should be able to wring out a few more wins with the current roster.

It will definitely piss off a few boosters, but it sends a message to the rest of the ACC: You're in trouble.

Donahue offered his 4 star son Tres.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:51 am

Marquette has been in touch with Howland.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 am

The more I think about it, the more I laugh....why would BC be offering to spend millions on facilities to intice a coach that they haven't even interviewed? Laughable.

You think someone's agent is pining for a raise from Havard?
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby Mitch on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 am

Steve Masiello is an intriguing candidate---if he actually is one.

Masiello is a very good recruiter---he's a recruiting magnet in the NYC Metro area---was even a ball boy for the Knicks while growing up.

Excellent X's and O's guy---has learned from the best in Rick Pitino.

Plus---Masiello would have an instant ally in Leo Papile (BABC & former Celtics exec) because of the Pitino/Boston connection. This aspect is particularly appealing because maybe it is finally time for the real good Boston area players to stay home and take BC to new heights.
Mitch
n00b

Postby talon on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:08 am

I'm worried that BC would think that Masiello would use BC as a stepping stone.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 am

talon {l Wrote}:I'm worried that BC would think that Masiello would use BC as a stepping stone.

He will use BC as a stepping stone. He'll make BC a winner and leave the program in better shape.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:The more I think about it, the more I laugh....why would BC be offering to spend millions on facilities to intice a coach that they haven't even interviewed? Laughable.

You think someone's agent is pining for a raise from Havard?

Yes, and he's using guys like Blauds to push it
Nate2651
n00b

Postby talon on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:I'm worried that BC would think that Masiello would use BC as a stepping stone.

He will use BC as a stepping stone. He'll make BC a winner and leave the program in better shape.

I have no problem with someone using BC basketball as a stepping stone. But unfortunately, the people making that decision do have a problem with it.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:05 pm

I can really see Masielo taking USF, Howland Marqette and Amaker using BC interest to get himself more money and flexibility from Harvard. Of course, I don't know if Bates is interested in any of them. But, the media will play it like our job is worse than all of the above if we go and subsequently hire someone like Mike Lonegan instead.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Per a good source, Steve Masiello to USF

https://twitter.com/RussHoops/status/447755326331551746
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Anyone else see on EA that hoops doesnt even have its own Strength and Conditioning coach? They have to share the coach with other sports. How much would that cost to fix like $60K? Talk about cheap holy sh*t
Nate2651
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum