Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm scared shitless that BC is going to hire Amaker. He's the worst case scenario hire - he'll graduate players and do enough on the court not to get fired, but he'll never give the fans anything to get excited about. It'll be a long run of 7th place finishes in the ACC, which may sound good now, but will get old quick.

I don't agree at all. I think he will bring in excellent talent and miserably undercoach it to a 7th place finish, but it will be fun to watch.

So... basically... he is what we were all saying about Dazoo when his name was floated as a replacement for Spaz.

No, we said that we knew Dazoo would recruit and that the jury was out on his coaching. We know Amaker sucks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCNathanLane on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 pm

I know I'm being ridiculous, but I'm hoping for Shaka Smart. Fingers crossed.
BCNathanLane
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am anti-Amaker but think he is probably the favorite given all the issues. There are a lots of names out there and I will start profiling some of them soon. Coen's poor season has sunk his chances. I think Hopkins and O'Shea are legit candidates. Howland is such a layup that if BC doesn't hire him, you know that we went cheap and that the BOT doesn't care about being great. Just being better than we currently are.

Here's what the list should look like:

Jerry West
Phil Jackson
Yao Ming
Pat Knight
:dildodog
Pearl
Howland

Fixed.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm scared shitless that BC is going to hire Amaker. He's the worst case scenario hire - he'll graduate players and do enough on the court not to get fired, but he'll never give the fans anything to get excited about. It'll be a long run of 7th place finishes in the ACC, which may sound good now, but will get old quick.

I don't agree at all. I think he will bring in excellent talent and miserably undercoach it to a 7th place finish, but it will be fun to watch.

So... basically... he is what we were all saying about Dazoo when his name was floated as a replacement for Spaz.

No, we said that we knew Dazoo would recruit and that the jury was out on his coaching. We know Amaker sucks.

The jury is still out on that with Daz. I know Amaker sucks at coaching
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby larrydoby on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The jury is still out on that with Daz. I know Amaker sucks at coaching

What makes you think Amaker sucks at coaching? He appears to be doing a pretty good job to me.
larrydoby
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 pm

6 seasons at Michigan with no NCAAs and two years at SHU with the #2 recruiting class in the country, and 1 tourney appearance, followed by a .500 season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I nominate Ted for our next coach.... He would get Anderson 24 Pts and 12 Rebs a game.

Yes. It's called "passing to the post guy". Novel concept really.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby teeperiod on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 pm

A few out-of-the box high-risk, high-reward guys for discussion...I don't think there is any way in hell any of these guys would be considered (the Hurley bros maybe), but interesting fodder:

Kelvin Sampson
Larry Eustachy
Dino Gaudio
Bobby Hurley
Dan Hurley
Al Skinner - Seriously....why the hell not.
teeperiod
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 pm

thought the argument was "stale". :shrug
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby larrydoby on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:6 seasons at Michigan with no NCAAs and two years at SHU with the #2 recruiting class in the country, and 1 tourney appearance, followed by a .500 season.

Don't you think he 's done an excellent job at Harvard? Didn't do much at Michigan, but I think he did pretty well at Seton Hall. The main player in that #2 class was Griffin and I believe he only stayed one year
larrydoby
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:32 pm

teeperiod {l Wrote}:A few out-of-the box high-risk, high-reward guys for discussion...I don't think there is any way in hell any of these guys would be considered (the Hurley bros maybe), but interesting fodder:

Kelvin Sampson
Larry Eustachy
Dino Gaudio
Bobby Hurley
Dan Hurley
Al Skinner - Seriously....why the hell not.

I'd pass on the Hurley brothers. Watched Dan Hurley coach against LaSalle a few weeks back. He constantly stomps his feet to get the players' attention similar to the Donahue whistle, it is quite annoying.

Even Mrs. Skinner doesn't want Al back here.

If people don't think the admin would hire Pearl, no way Eustachy would even be considered.

Where is Sampson these days?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Kelvin Sampson has had TWO NCAA investigations against him. The penalties OU suffered under is a reason why I think Jeff Capel deserves another shot.

I don't see the BOT/Leahy allowing BB to hire Pearl. I also don't see BC paying a BB coach something like $2mm. So... I again think the best realistic option is Howland. By far. All the rest of the names have the same risk/rewards we had in hiring Don. Hell... I think you can make a strong argument that, on paper, Don was a much better hire than names like Hurley, O'Shea, Coen, Amaker, Skerry and whatever other compromised New-England-connection candidate that has been proposed.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:41 pm

BCNathanLane {l Wrote}:I know I'm being ridiculous, but I'm hoping for Shaka Smart. Fingers crossed.

I think Shaka may look to leave this year. It's one thing to pass on good jobs when you are winning... it's quite another to pass on them when you are losing. I bet Smart is concerned about becoming yesterday's news and will listen more intently this off-season than he has previously. Don't think BC will be an option... just saying that he ain't passing on something like NCS again.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby mjago410 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCNathanLane {l Wrote}:I know I'm being ridiculous, but I'm hoping for Shaka Smart. Fingers crossed.

I think Shaka may look to leave this year. It's one thing to pass on good jobs when you are winning... it's quite another to pass on them when you are losing. I bet Smart is concerned about becoming yesterday's news and will listen more intently this off-season than he has previously. Don't think BC will be an option... just saying that he ain't passing on something like NCS again.

I wouldn't exactly call 20-5 "losing"
mjago410
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Hell... I think you can make a strong argument that, on paper, Don was a much better hire than names like Hurley, O'Shea, Coen, Amaker, Skerry and whatever other compromised New-England-connection candidate that has been proposed.

Yep, and it drives me nuts when people can't differentiate between a bad hire at the time and a bad hire with the benefit of hindsight. Like a lazy ass Don-Spaz comparison.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm

larrydoby {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:6 seasons at Michigan with no NCAAs and two years at SHU with the #2 recruiting class in the country, and 1 tourney appearance, followed by a .500 season.

Don't you think he 's done an excellent job at Harvard?

Yes, but I've had my fill of guys who coached well in the Ivies.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
larrydoby {l Wrote}:

don't listen to this guy - the lbs don't leave many (if any) holes left to fill in the first place...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:00 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I nominate Ted for our next coach.... He would get Anderson 24 Pts and 12 Rebs a game.

happened a year ago

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13242&p=337006&hilit=eo+coaching+staff#p337002

timestamp!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Hell... I think you can make a strong argument that, on paper, Don was a much better hire than names like Hurley, O'Shea, Coen, Amaker, Skerry and whatever other compromised New-England-connection candidate that has been proposed.

Yep, and it drives me nuts when people can't differentiate between a bad hire at the time and a bad hire with the benefit of hindsight. Like a lazy ass Don-Spaz comparison.

Don was a strong hire at the time. It hasn't worked out. It sucks but it is what it is.

If you were to a postmortem, I think two takeaways are that (a) recruiting matters and (b) experience coaching in a top conference matters. Donahue never felt recruiting elite players was something he needed to do. He also underestimated what it took to win in at the ACC level. That doesn't mean that all mid-major coaches would similarly fail. It just means that BC should be wary before dipping their toe in that pool again.

In looking at other coaching hires through the years, I believe that those that wind up being the most successful are coaches who have won in a major conference (before falling out of favor with the fanbase, or leaving for the NBA or another program). That is where my focus would remain if I was BB. I am not a fan of Amaker (because he did not win enough in a major conference), but I have to admit that he generally fills the criteria I would suggest we look at (so would Howland, Pearl, Quin Snyder and the aforementioned Jeff Capel).

A name I have never seen anywhere but think would make a great outside-the-box college coach (this would be like my mentioning Herm Edwards for football)... is Avery Johnson.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

happened a year ago

timestamp!

We'd have more than 6 wins....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

happened a year ago

timestamp!

don't disagree
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

happened a year ago

timestamp!

don't disagree

Because I wouldn't have recruited about 75% of this roster, similar to the rest of the ACC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:53 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
larrydoby {l Wrote}:

don't listen to this guy - the lbs don't leave many (if any) holes left to fill in the first place...

You know, pedro, you're a real prick.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:55 pm

yeah, but that's how you like your ladies
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

happened a year ago

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... ff#p337002

timestamp!

don't disagree

Because I wouldn't have recruited about 75% of this roster, similar to the rest of the ACC

And I would get the ball to Anderson and Hanlan.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:A name I have never seen anywhere but think would make a great outside-the-box college coach (this would be like my mentioning Herm Edwards for football)... is Avery Johnson.

Holy shit...I am shocked to see this, not because it is a bad suggestion but rather this is someone I have been thinking of a possible coaching candidate for several months now but was afraid to say it given that it would likely get laughed off.

Avery Johnson is definitely outside the box...way outside the box. But I began thinking that he may wind up coaching college after hearing him on a recent sports show. He was talking college basketball and seemed to have a very good understanding of the AAU circuit when talking about recruiting. It almost sounded like he was making a pitch for becoming a college HC. If I were Brad Bates, I'd give Avery Johnson a call. My guess is Johnson would be very interested. Then start grilling him with questions to determine if his experience in the NBA could translate to college. That doesn't mean he would be the right hire, but I think he should be considered.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am

Avery Johnson is fantastic. Would note that he doesn't have some of the things that Herm had though
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Avery Johnson is fantastic. Would note that he doesn't have some of the things that Herm had though

Like a famous meltdown on youtube?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:25 pm

If EO could use its millions to invest in the smiley shaking its head "no" (like the one we had on Scout, I think), then I would use that in response to the Avery Johnson suggestion. BC should look at guys who have proven themselves at the college level (minimum mid-major level). Avery Johnson is a "no one could be worse than Chris Crane" potential disaster. Sure there is some upside, but let him prove himself at an FIU first.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

happened a year ago

timestamp!

don't disagree

And I would get the ball to Anderson and Hanlan.

We would've won last night. Bates could save some major money and just hire us
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum