Pearl

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Pearl

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am

I ask the following question, with the qualifyer that I think it is moot, as I don't think BC would ever offer Pearl the job, but my question is this:

Who thinks that Pearl will get an offer to coach a school this offseason that is a better job than the BC job?

I guess it is subjective as to how good the BC job actually is, so why dont we limit the choices to any job in a BCS conference?

I think that if BC did offer him the job, it would be his best offer of the offseason. Whether he would take it or not is another question.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Re: Pearl

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 pm

He's made the tournament 8 out of 10 seasons coaching at the D1 level, including 4 sweet sixteen appearances and an elite eight. He'll be on a lot of radars, and I'm sure some of the schools in the mix will have a better hoops pedigree than BC.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I ask the following question, with the qualifyer that I think it is moot, as I don't think BC would ever offer Pearl the job, but my question is this:

Who thinks that Pearl will get an offer to coach a school this offseason that is a better job than the BC job?

I guess it is subjective as to how good the BC job actually is, so why dont we limit the choices to any job in a BCS conference?

I think that if BC did offer him the job, it would be his best offer of the offseason. Whether he would take it or not is another question.

Pearl will get an offer from a BCS conference this year. I can't see one now that would be a better fit than BC (subjectively). I think he would take UGA over BC, but I don't think the Dawgs are going to go that way. He would take Texas over BC, but once again, I don't think they go that way. Would he take Oregon State over BC? No way.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm

I heard him mentioned for Alabama if the job opens up.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I ask the following question, with the qualifyer that I think it is moot, as I don't think BC would ever offer Pearl the job, but my question is this:

Pearl will get an offer from a BCS conference this year. I can't see one now that would be a better fit than BC (subjectively). I think he would take UGA over BC, but I don't think the Dawgs are going to go that way. He would take Texas over BC, but once again, I don't think they go that way. Would he take Oregon State over BC? No way.

I think Texas will be among the stiffest competition for him.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:24 pm

i really think i'm going to start meatbombing all the threads dedicated to bruce pearl coaching the bc basketball team. not links... full on meatbomb pictures.

on this issue, maroon-n-lively and i agree...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I think that there is also no way that the administration offers Pearl and if he does get offered I see no way he takes the position, as BC currently sits at the bottom of BCS basketball programs....

This basketball situation is truly a shame. :whiteflag

I don't know if you are doing an MNG impression but you are underestimating the appeal of BC. The fact that the whole roster turns in a year is a huge plus. ACC and tradition is a huge plus. The New England basketball prep schools provide enough talent. The only knock against BC is fan support. But most guys don't really care about that. They only use it as an excuse later on. The only reasons some BCS jobs are more appealing are money and no pressure from the admissions office.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

For the record, I don't think BC will offer Pearl the job, I don't think Pearl would take the job, and I don't want Pearl coaching the team. I want Howland, which probably won't happen, either.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:53 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I think that there is also no way that the administration offers Pearl and if he does get offered I see no way he takes the position, as BC currently sits at the bottom of BCS basketball programs....

This basketball situation is truly a shame. :whiteflag

I don't know if you are doing an MNG impression but you are underestimating the appeal of BC. The fact that the whole roster turns in a year is a huge plus. ACC and tradition is a huge plus. The New England basketball prep schools provide enough talent. The only knock against BC is fan support. But most guys don't really care about that. They only use it as an excuse later on. The only reasons some BCS jobs are more appealing are money and no pressure from the admissions office.

I will start out by saying that I am a DIE HARD Boston College fan and will always support the athletic programs. I sincerely hope that you are correct and I am drastically underestimating the appeal to BC due to the current state of the program and the end of the GDF tenure.

Unfortunately, I am being dead serious due to the current state of the program, location (cold northeast), facilities, $$ being spent on the program IE coaching, 'high' admissions standards, lack of fan support/media support and a few other factors. Fan support, or lack thereof is definitely not the only knock on the program. You do mention admissions and money, but I will touch on those to help explain my views regarding recruiting.

I attended one of those "New England basketball prep schools" that you mentioned and have had many friends recruited by BC and other BCS schools during the 06-08 years of the Skinner era. Unfortunately, top student athlete recruits from the ISL and NESCAC A (Brewster Academy, Tilton, et all) did not only turn a blind eye to B.C. but rather openly spoke about how none of the top recruits would give the school serious consideration. They viewed UCONN as the dream regional landing destination. I do not know how much this has changed, since conference realignment/Calhoun departure, but if we look at recruiting figures, UCONN is still a much more preferred landing destination than boston college. With the rise of Harvard, any basketball player caring about academics now has a much better academic and athletic fit. Add in the fact that most of these prep stars that we speak of are from out of state, do not thoroughly enjoy the region and most all HATE the academic requirements of such prep schools, and this provides anecdotal evidence that their is little incentive for them to consider BC. Providence and UCONN are both porous examples for poking holes in this argument due the (non existent??) academic standards and a couple other factors. Furthermore, the Worcester Academy kids we recruited in our heyday were diamonds in the rough, Smith etc. (Coincidentally I was one of the few athletes in the region to turn down major offers and the Ivies to commit onto BC, admittedly not for a top 2 sport and only because my mother attended the university... Also didn't attend due to an arm injury).

I am not saying that the correct coaching hire would not be able turn this thing around, grab some prep prospects and completely re-arrange the face of the program. Unless it was a big $$ hire, this likely would take a few years as a new, up and coming coach would have to build the recruiting foundation from the base up and change the perception of BC basketball to the region. I doubt that we will be willing to dish out enough cash to compete for a Bruce, et al and would be left with hoping that we hit a home-run with a MAC coach.... not the game changer needed to change the dynamics I mentioned above, IMHO.

To another point, the roster returning is normally a huge plus, should those returning players constitute a talented team... We all know our deficiencies (no center, no defensive ability ETC) and without major and miraculous improvement/ recruiting coups, these players will struggle to compete in the ACC schedule next season, irregardless of who is the coach. I think that this detracts from whatever appeal a roster of returning players should hold, of course this is in relation to a known coaching commodity.

In essence, this program will either need a known commodity to come in or a homerun hire which will take YEARS to turn the program around. I fear that should a BCS program offer similar $$ to any coach with name recognition, that we will be passed over. Hopefully Pearl, if offered, would choose to come back to his roots as this would be tremendous.

Sorry for the long response, however the MNG comparison is kind of out of hand.

Chicken Little posts based on anecdotes from five years ago like this one are the worst.

Your description of Harvard as "on the rise" completely undermines the rest of your post. Amaker was a known shitty commodity (1 tournament appearance in 10 years) before he arrived in Cambridge (which shares the same geography and asks the same of its athletes in the classroom as BC).
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

I maybe naive, but I do not think that Pearl will be coaching at a gig better than BC next year. Everything tells me that he will. College basketball is sleazy, it is win at all costs, he has been an excellent coach everywhere he has been...and so on, but something just tells me that he is going to need to go to a smaller school, win and do it cleanly for 2 years and then get a call from the bigs. I am probably way off, but it is just my feeling.

I do feel reasonably comfortable in saying that even though I started this topic, it is moot. The potential for mayhem for the program, will likely trump the potential for greatness in Bc's eyes. Even if it didnt trump it. I dont think the powers that be at BC want to worry about how the program is being run, they would rather it just suck, but suck cleanly.

You can't predict anything obviously, but if you gave this proposition to the ultimate decision maker at BC, I am pretty sure I know what the answer would be:

Proposition: If you hire Bruce Pearl, there is a 60% chance that you will reach the Finalo Four, sold out every season ticket, apparell sales through the roof, donors handing large amounts of money to the school, and reap a financial windfall, however there is also a 5% chance that none of this happens and Pearl leaves in 4 years and the program is on probation. Heck, you could even change the first proposition to 95% and I still think BC says no. And I am not sure they are wrong.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:You are completely wrong. Harvard does not share the same academic admissions standards as boston college. Having qualified academically for both schools, Harvard has MUCH stricter standards. Harvard has signed an agreement with the IVY's to adhere to a certain standard on the Academic Index scale (a score comprised of test scores, grades, class rank which each athletic team must hit an average of, 200 or around there) ALSO, there is a limit to the individual lower limit of this score, which was around 170, although I could be off by 10 points, I was right around 180. Furthermore, Harvard has a completely different appeal to a recruit valuing academics...... It is NOT boston college, its is Harvard. Regardless of classroom standards (which I would hope Boston College actually has a more rigorous minimum standard than Harvard as grade inflation is ridiculous, which is known by anyone who went to Harvard or knows of Harvard's classroom setting) players and students focused on academics will almost always pic Harvard.

Does Harvard have any top recruits from New England Prep Schools? No. Harvard has national appeal due to their academic prestige. Therefore my friend, if we look deeper into the argument, we will see that Harvard is not comparable to BC as they have a completely different style/ability to recruit. BC is a good school academically, Harvard is a great one.

Furthermore, look at the post I was responding to, and in kind, look at the MAJOR point of my post.... NORTHEAST PREP SCHOOL BASKETBALL RECRUITING.

From http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/01/c ... owerhouse/

“They’re targeting top-100 guys,” Telep, the ESPN.com recruiting analyst, says of the caliber of players Harvard now tries to bring in. “They are the only ones in the Ivy League operating with this model. They’re selling Tommy as a players’ coach and Harvard as Harvard. They’ve had no fear in challenging or competing for [the kind of] player Harvard has never had before.”

"Amaker is able to cast a wide net in part because of Harvard’s new financial aid guidelines, which happened to change dramatically just before the coach arrived in Cambridge. In 2006 the school announced that families with incomes of $60,000 or less would pay nothing toward the cost of a Harvard education, and that families earning between $60,000 and $180,000 would contribute between zero and 10 percent of their income. The new guidelines, which apply to all students, amount to de facto scholarships for some athletes. And the talent has followed. ESPN ranked two freshmen on this year’s team, Kenyatta Smith and Wesley Saunders, among the top 25 prospects in California. They were reportedly recruited by the likes of Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, and Southern California. Siyani Chambers, the second-rated player in the state of Minnesota, has committed to Harvard for next season, as has Mike Hall, one of the top prospects in Georgia."

I edited my post above to clarify that I wasn't talking about admissions standards.

Even Harvard can't have its cake and eat it, too. Amaker can sell Harvard as Harvard. He also has to sell recruits on the lower visibility of playing in the Ivy League, and sell them on the fact that an Ivy Leaguer hasn't been drafted in 20 years.

I don't care where BC's recruits come from. You have a very old school mindset. Everyone recruits nationally now.
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:32 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:... You are completely wrong. Harvard does not share the same academic admissions standards as boston college. Having qualified academically for both schools, Harvard has MUCH stricter standards.

how does this support your statement that it's too hard for bc to recruit quality athletes when its even more difficult for shitty coach tommy amaker, maroon-n-higgs
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:...You have a very old school mindset.

is jayz considered "old school" now?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:14 pm

yeah, i really only wanted to call you maroon-n-higgs. you can pretty much ignore the rest of my post
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Amaker makes the Tournament because they out-athlete everyone in the Ivy League. He's a terrible coach otherwise
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:32 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Again- Clearly, reading comprehension is not taught wherever you attended school. I was replying to ONE aspect of ATL's response. NORTHEAST RECRUITING. I don't give a shit where BC recruits, just want good athletes and victories. ATL used northeast recruiting as a major reason why BC is appealing. Please read the board before responding. Also, love your arguing style, when one of your points is shot to shit, you completely change the face of the argument..

As to the not getting drafted thing. Again, Harvard's Academic prestige combined with recent success overrides this factor, as players looking to get drafted (or those caring about the draft as their first priority(and overwhelmingly first priority) would not choose Harvard. They are getting the player that would like to be drafted but also cares about a potential career outside of college, therefore they have dipped into some of our recruiting options with this recent success. In essence, if the argument is made that academic athletes use to prefer BC due to their level of success on and off the court, we are now a far second to Harvard. Our ideal recruit, is the athlete who dreams of playing in the NBA (first priority) but also wants a solid education to fall back on should that dream not not work out, and is only achievable with the right coach in place. Also, Jeremy Lin has far more name recognition than anything produced out of BC in recent history

That being said, Boston College had/has more appeal regarding the draft and less appeal regarding academics than Harvard, hence the difference in the way they go about recruiting.

To TRE's point: The point to Harvard having tougher academic admissions standards highlights the influence of the academic appeal and the recent success of the program has on these recruits. They have a VERY limited pot, yet end up with the high end athletes capable of qualifying. It will take a major shakeup for BC to be able to take away these athletes from Harvard... That is all my second point was in the original post.... We need a coach able to change the current dynamics drastically.

What point of mine did you shoot to shit? You have yet to make one, other than that last sentence there, which is the most Captain Fucking Obvious vanilla blanket statement you could possibly make here. I don't care what NE Prep School players thought of BC in the mid-2000s, and I don't care what they think of BC right now with Beeker at the helm because we all know Beeker is done. This is college sports, the turnover is such that there are no long rebuilds, anymore. Fuck, even Kentucky missed the tournament last year. The Prep School players will come around on BC if BC hires a coach who can manipulate them into believing it's the best place for them. So go sell your doom-and-gloom hoops recruiting we1rd0ness on BCI, we already have eepstein0 here.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm

foot better go get his shine bowl because he's getting told.

stick to ballwashin, foot!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

here's an artist's rendering of foot replying to this thread...

we all know what the drool's going to be used for
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Just responding to a few different points.

1. The roster turning as in not stuck with the Don's players is a huge plus for most coaches. They can go and get their players quickly.

2. Amaker sucks but he is probably going to be BC's new coach (or is more likely than Pearl). If Harvard were such a better job, he wouldn't be willing to ditch it for the chance to coach BC. He wants the BC job and thinks it is very underrated.

3. I also went to a prep school that feeds players (though in my day, the prep powers were slightly different). The recruits preference can change quickly. Don't worry about BC. Worry about the coach. The good coaches will find the right talent for their systems. One could argue that Don -- even as a terrible recruiter -- had the right players for his system until the rules changed and the team tuned him out.

4. The BC job is appealing. Pearl is not the only name interested. Howland is too. However, I don't know if BC will pony up for a big hire. The more Don sucks, the more pressure there will be to make a big move.

5. Bates doesn't have the same freedom as GDF. I think he would go big time but I think there are enough Whale Pants on the board who will object.

I think we will probably hire a MAC type coach but don't think this job is undesirable.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Just responding to a few different points.

2. Amaker sucks but he is probably going to be BC's new coach (or is more likely than Pearl). If Harvard were such a better job, he wouldn't be willing to ditch it for the chance to coach BC. He wants the BC job and thinks it is very underrated.

So another Ivy league coach? Awesome!
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Again, you are an asshat. If you read the original post, I was responding to ATL's comment about bc and north east recruiting.Just pointing out honest facts. ALSO, what with this administration (BoD President) makes you believe they are willing to spend money on a good hire. Without a mini miracle, what rising star assistant would pick BC when they have other offers and B.C. would pay the same or less? The whole point of my responses were that without ponying up the $$ we are unlikely to get a solid coach due to the negative influences surrounding the program. As you pointed out, we need a coach, to 'SPIN' the "doom and gloom" factors that I mentioned. THEREFORE if you are agreeing we need a coach to hide the warts of this program, then you must be agreeing that a lot of the factors I listed do exist. To expand a bit more, with the current state of our program, the odds of us hiring an ACE recruiting coach with X and O ability is nominal.

Without a philosophical change OR WITHOUT HITTING A HOME RUN LUCKY ASS HIRE, the program appears to be continuing in the direction of the wake program during their miserable run they had.... Just with less potential to turn this mess around.

Your "facts" are 6 years old. Do you still have your finger on the pulse of NE recruiting? Are recruits not choosing BC because it's BC, or are they not choosing BC because Beeker is a shitty recruiter? I don't believe the program has "warts" like you do. That is merry-men talk.

This administration gave Steve Addazio a 60% raise over his predecessor, so your doubts over their willingness to spend money are stale, much like your inside recruiting "info."

Wake last made the NCAA tourney the same year BC made their last appearance. I don't understand the comparison.

Yes, if we want a winning basketball team, BC needs to make a good hire. If they make another bad hire, they will not be resigned to decades of struggle as you suggest. As much as you want us to believe, the future of BC hoops does not hinge on the success of the next coach.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Amaker blows as an Xs and Os guy, but he'd get us some damn talent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Amaker blows as an Xs and Os guy, but he'd get us some damn talent.

Any chance that he can retain the Craptain for his X and O expertise?
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:42 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:...I putty you sir.

EDIT - i know its spelled "puddy" but work with me here
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Can anyone confirm the reported siting of Pearl at Logan boarding a Pyongyang-bound flight to coach the host country team against the Rodman All Stars?
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Amaker blows as an Xs and Os guy, but he'd get us some damn talent.

If we're going to hire Amaker, you better get an actual coach as an assistant
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Talent beats coaching more often than not at the college level

(See tw's favorite coach)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Look at NC State as well, they have been a tourney team and their coach cant determine the difference between an X and an O

commavegarage's point was that the same can be said for UNC
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Can anyone confirm the reported siting of Pearl at Logan boarding a Pyongyang-bound flight to coach the host country team against the Rodman All Stars?

Your retarded
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Can anyone confirm the reported siting of Pearl at Logan boarding a Pyongyang-bound flight to coach the host country team against the Rodman All Stars?

Your retarded

your just siting this now?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum