recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby Shaddix on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:02 pm

Going to page 1 of the old Commits/Recruiting pre 2014 thread is the most depressing thing I've done in awhile.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:07 pm

We offered 20 big man Eduardo Andre. Consensus 3 star but a 247 4 star.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:11 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:We offered 20 big man Eduardo Andre. Consensus 3 star but a 247 4 star.

Major project. Van der Baan is also (albeit less so than this kid)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:We offered 20 big man Eduardo Andre. Consensus 3 star but a 247 4 star.

But by most accounts he has great upside. Having as many big men on the roster as possible is fine by me. I'll never pass on a long athletic big.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:48 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

But by most accounts he has great upside. Having as many big men on the roster as possible is fine by me. I'll never pass on a long athletic big.

That’s what she said.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Finally sent out offers for the 2021 class to local kids Gianni Thompson and Casey Simmons
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat May 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:They either have to fire him or extend him, having a lame duck coach is entirely self-defeating. They're not firing him so there's your extension.

Unrelatedly, imagine the feeling a hypothetical poster might have if he had entered into a hypothetical bet in which he had wagered our head coach would get fired this summer.

That guy would probably feel like a real loser!

His contract was already running through 2020 so hardly a lame duck. Jarmond has revealed himself as looking to be gone from here in the next two or three years. :ace

Bump! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:11 am

top 7 w xavier, pc, temple, richmond, vt & ped state for #2 player in mass Gianni Thompson from brimmer & may
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BConway on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:top 7 w xavier, pc, temple, richmond, vt & ped state for #2 player in mass Gianni Thompson from brimmer & may

Would be a good get. Especially with almost our entire frontcourt leaving as grads and post grads. Steff will have given is 4 years of 32 minutes per. I know he csnt score but that's a lot of good minutes to have to replace.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:40 am

BConway {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:top 7 w xavier, pc, temple, richmond, vt & ped state for #2 player in mass Gianni Thompson from brimmer & may

Would be a good get. Especially with almost our entire frontcourt leaving as grads and post grads. Steff will have given is 4 years of 32 minutes per. I know he csnt score but that's a lot of good minutes to have to replace.

Six open scholarships next year. JVB should be ready to take 20+ minutes next year. 3-4 Freshmen and 2-3 grad transfers and 2 of the grad transfers need to be bigs as five of graduates are forwards. Need to smooth the graduation cliff and with MAL the only Senior in 2021, it will help. 2022 should then again have 3-4 open schollies.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby Primetime on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:51 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Six open scholarships next year. JVB should be ready to take 20+ minutes next year. 3-4 Freshmen and 2-3 grad transfers and 2 of the grad transfers need to be bigs as five of graduates are forwards. Need to smooth the graduation cliff and with MAL the only Senior in 2021, it will help. 2022 should then again have 3-4 open schollies.

I've seen chatter that Karnik will sit a year (he needs a waiver unlike Kelly/Adams/Scott), which helps smooth the transition (Karnik slots in for Adams in 2021-22).

Big question for JC is: can he get anybody in the class of 2021 to commit, knowing he might not be there. Another question is whether Kamari Williams and CJ Felder can step into the 3/4 roles or if they transfer out because they aren't getting the minutes they want.

I want to believe big things for Langford and JVB but I've learned it's best not to get my hopes up with freshmen :shrug
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby BConway on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

I've seen chatter that Karnik will sit a year (he needs a waiver unlike Kelly/Adams/Scott), which helps smooth the transition (Karnik slots in for Adams in 2021-22).

Big question for JC is: can he get anybody in the class of 2021 to commit, knowing he might not be there. Another question is whether Kamari Williams and CJ Felder can step into the 3/4 roles or if they transfer out because they aren't getting the minutes they want.

I want to believe big things for Langford and JVB but I've learned it's best not to get my hopes up with freshmen :shrug

I think Langford can contribute right away. He seems to be a pretty solid all around player and has a body than can play at a high level. Vander Baan should redshirt, hes not physically ready and his game isnt ready. It would help the scholarship balance if he sat and Karnick sat but leaves us very thin this year.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:09 pm

2021 offer out to Bensley Jospeh local top 150 PG
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:54 am

top 7 as well for casey simmons from milton academy with northwestern, pitt, princeton, texas, miami & yale
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

top 7 as well for casey simmons from milton academy with northwestern, pitt, princeton, texas, miami & yale

Casey Simmons committed to Northwestern. Great job by the staff. JC gets pounded by Duke Collins at home by 18 points, Northwestern finishes with an 8-22 record, and Duke Collins finishes JC off by plucking a Mass Rivals kid.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:26 pm

We been in contact with Preston Murphy jr (2022) wonder if we need to send him a bag just like how his pops use to do his business.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Casey Simmons committed to Northwestern. Great job by the staff. JC gets pounded by Duke Collins at home by 18 points, Northwestern finishes with an 8-22 record, and Duke Collins finishes JC off by plucking a Mass Rivals kid.

Why would good players commit to a lame duck coach with horrendous facilities?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 am

Ask Demarr Langford Jr. He was ranked just as high as Simmons. And before you say he was a lock to go to BC because of his brother, that’s simply not true.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:Ask Demarr Langford Jr. He was ranked just as high as Simmons. And before you say he was a lock to go to BC because of his brother, that’s simply not true.

JC was less of a lame duck coach when Langford committed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:Ask Demarr Langford Jr. He was ranked just as high as Simmons. And before you say he was a lock to go to BC because of his brother, that’s simply not true.

Did our facilities get better between this year and last?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They did add a second blender to the smoothie bar in the locker room.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You’re not wrong. Basketball “facilities” preventing us from recruiting only became a thing a year after Jimmy Mac’s extension. It was used by Marty as an excuse to justify the indefensible (his going all-in on JC after securing an NIT invite). Fr. Leahy refused to eat that mistake. Marty truly felt Christian was the answer at BC... given that judgement (undoubtedly influenced by his playing career), we should be happy that someone else will be finding the replacement.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You’re not wrong. Basketball “facilities” preventing us from recruiting only became a thing a year after Jimmy Mac’s extension. It was used by Marty as an excuse to justify the indefensible (his going all-in on JC after securing an NIT invite). Fr. Leahy refused to eat that mistake. Marty truly felt Christian was the answer at BC... given that judgement (undoubtedly influenced by his playing career), we should be happy that someone else will be finding the replacement.

The coach sucks, but the facilities are the reason we can’t hire a good coach. Until they build a BB Practice Facility (and really fix Conte) we’re going to be stuck in this miserable cycle.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The coach sucks, but the facilities are the reason we can’t hire a good coach. Until they build a BB Practice Facility (and really fix Conte) we’re going to be stuck in this miserable cycle.

Wow. Just wow.

I’ll just say I disagree. If I agreed, I would not visit this board for another 5 years.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Is it reasonable to think that Simmons would NOT want to join because he doesn't want to be in a crowded backcourt with Heath-Tabbs-Langford? Particularly Langford, as they're very similar physically.

I wonder to what extent it hurts our recruiting with established/young players at the 1-2-3 for the next 3+ years. JC being a lame duck doesn't help: I'd be surprised if we get a half-decent 2021 signee until and unless JC and the Eagles have a decent/plus year.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:

Is it reasonable to think that Simmons would NOT want to join because he doesn't want to be in a crowded backcourt with Heath-Tabbs-Langford? Particularly Langford, as they're very similar physically.

I wonder to what extent it hurts our recruiting with established/young players at the 1-2-3 for the next 3+ years. JC being a lame duck doesn't help: I'd be surprised if we get a half-decent 2021 signee until and unless JC and the Eagles have a decent/plus year.

If you’re a Top 150 player and you don’t think you can crack our lineup you’re better off elsewhere. I’m also sure that’s not the reason he didn’t come to BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The coach sucks, but the facilities are the reason we can’t hire a good coach. Until they build a BB Practice Facility (and really fix Conte) we’re going to be stuck in this miserable cycle.

Wow. Just wow.

I’ll just say I disagree. If I agreed, I would not visit this board for another 5 years.

What established coach wants to come up and deal with terribly facilities (along with all the other obvious challenges with BC)? We'll always be able to find mediocre mid-major candidates.

Apparently they're also interested in Jace Chatman.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wow. Just wow.

What established coach wants to come up and deal with terribly facilities (along with all the other obvious challenges with BC)? We'll always be able to find mediocre mid-major candidates.

I'll bite... who is the just-hired to coach the Idiots on North Avenue?

If you are saying that BC can't compete for Brad Stevens, I agree. But, we aren't landing an established winning coach because of our facilities (or lack there of). We could annex those the Celts use at New Balance and it won't make a difference. We will always be mining for our next coach through mid-majors or top assistants. Would we be potentially more attractive versus other suitors the next time Cornell makes a run to the NCAAs... sure. But, the best facilities in the country will not move us from John Becker to Tom Izzo.

All BC could ever hope to be (in the next dozen years) is a major version of VCU/Dayton where they make a series of excellent hires that get routinely get poached by the likes of OSU. To that end, even if we convert the Fish Fieldhouse to a BB facility, BC's next coach will be an assistant (like Hubie Davis or Greg Paulsen), a mid-major (like Wes MIller or Mike Rhoades) or someone who failed and looking for a second chance (like Shaka Smart, Anthony Grant, or a 68-year-old John Beilein). You are rooting for the wrong program if you are looking for something more.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Wow. Just wow.

I'll bite... who is the just-hired to coach the Idiots on North Avenue?

If you are saying that BC can't compete for Brad Stevens, I agree. But, we aren't landing an established winning coach because of our facilities (or lack there of). We could annex those the Celts use at New Balance and it won't make a difference. We will always be mining for our next coach through mid-majors or top assistants. Would we be potentially more attractive versus other suitors the next time Cornell makes a run to the NCAAs... sure. But, the best facilities in the country will not move us from John Becker to Tom Izzo.

All BC could ever hope to be (in the next dozen years) is a major version of VCU/Dayton where they make a series of excellent hires that get routinely get poached by the likes of OSU. To that end, even if we convert the Fish Fieldhouse to a BB facility, BC's next coach will be an assistant (like Hubie Davis or Greg Paulsen), a mid-major (like Wes MIller or Mike Rhoades) or someone who failed and looking for a second chance (like Shaka Smart, Anthony Grant, or a 68-year-old John Beilein). You are rooting for the wrong program if you are looking for something more.

No one is suggesting BC needs to hire Brad Stevens or Tom Izzo. Shaka Smart or John Beilein would be great. Neither are coming anywhere near BC with the current state of the program & facilities. Beilein told BC to go away this past March.

You're not winning at BC with "insert mid-major coach here", bad facilities and everything else that comes with BC especially after the last 2 coaches were historic disasters.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You're not winning at BC with "insert mid-major coach here", bad facilities and everything else that comes with BC especially after the last 2 coaches were historic disasters.

The last 2 coaches would've still been hired and would've failed regardless of the facilities.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum