recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am

To be clear, its okay that BC does a shitty job in NE because they have always done a shitty job in NE. Got it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To be clear, its okay that BC does a shitty job in NE because they have always done a shitty job in NE. Got it.

...said differently

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To be clear, its okay that BC does a shitty job in NE because they have always done a shitty job in NE. Got it.

It's not okay. People like you don't go to the games so the Conte atmosphere resembles a girls' junior high basketball game. As a result, it becomes extremely difficult to lure top recruits. Why is this so hard for you to piece together?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 am

ummmm, i'm fairly certain tedwardo was being sarcastic...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ummmm, i'm fairly certain tedwardo was being sarcastic...

Yes, I know TRE. His sarcasm reflects a belief that it's not acceptable to believe that because we've always been bad at NE recruiting it's acceptable now as well. I agree, but the problem is our lack of support still exists. Therefore, it's very difficult to bring in Nerlens Noel when we have 2,000 fans for an ACC game. He doesn't understand that fact. He should go to a game at Conte to fully appreciate the depresssing situation.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

chicken and the egg. it's never been acceptable that we can't recruit in our own backyard. the problem is that our student body hasn't cared about basketball in a long time so its hard to make the community care. which means its hard to recruit. which means the team is going to be lower than average in performance. which means the students won't care. troy bell was one of the most exciting college basketball players to step foot on campus but he had to rally the team to win 17 or 18 games in a row before the students started to care. then they went back to caring less once they lost the 21st game.

in my mind it's only going to get worse. bates did a lot of self promotion about getting asses in the seats this season for both football and hoops but saturday's opening day attendance for the new football regieme net less than 30k fans. maybe a trend will develop but i'm not holding my breath.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:chicken and the egg. it's never been acceptable that we can't recruit in our own backyard. the problem is that our student body hasn't cared about basketball in a long time so its hard to make the community care. which means its hard to recruit. which means the team is going to be lower than average in performance. which means the students won't care. troy bell was one of the most exciting college basketball players to step foot on campus but he had to rally the team to win 17 or 18 games in a row before the students started to care. then they went back to caring less once they lost the 21st game.

in my mind it's only going to get worse. bates did a lot of self promotion about getting asses in the seats this season for both football and hoops but saturday's opening day attendance for the new football regieme net less than 30k fans. maybe a trend will develop but i'm not holding my breath.

A couple of years ago, a guy who sits in front of me at Alumni said, "this place gets emptier every year" and that is the truth. From a local standpoint, BC becomes less relevant in football and basketball every year. Bates has his hands full.

We should increase enrollment to around 35,000. That should help. And reserve a certain amount of spots for massholes.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ummmm, i'm fairly certain tedwardo was being sarcastic...

Yes, I know TRE. His sarcasm reflects a belief that it's not acceptable to believe that because we've always been bad at NE recruiting it's acceptable now as well. I agree, but the problem is our lack of support still exists. Therefore, it's very difficult to bring in Nerlens Noel when we have 2,000 fans for an ACC game. He doesn't understand that fact. He should go to a game at Conte to fully appreciate the depresssing situation.

I go to plenty of games. Just can't justify season tickets to hoop. Too many games, and too often they take place during hours I am working to make up for time spent posting. I have plenty of observations of the Morgue.

Play better. People will come.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 pm

didnt have problems getting people there when *** ******* was blocking shots
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:didnt have problems getting people there when *** ******* was blocking shots

There have been a few games here and there with good crowds (mostly UNC/Duke games or a handful of Sean W games once the nerds found out who he was), but they've never had consistent support. The addition of Cuse, ND, Pitt and Louisville should help, but you never know with these broomstick-riding folks.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Dominique Uhl is supposed to begin his visit to BC today...
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Jared Terrell to OK State and Abdul Malik-Abu to NC State.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:51 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Jared Terrell to OK State and Abdul Malik-Abu to NC State.

Really surprised Providence didn't land at least one of them.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Jared Terrell to OK State and Abdul Malik-Abu to NC State.

Really surprised Providence didn't land at least one of them.

I think surprise is less in order than a sigh of relief at avoiding further embarrassment. As it is, Terrell has gone off to the back of beyond and Abu has joined a program which reliably manages to disappoint no matter how much talent it recruits. Things could be worse.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Dom Uhl, a 6-foot-8, 195-pound forward from Point Pleasant (N.J.) Beach, enjoyed his official visit to Boston College this weekend and heads to Iowa Sept. 19.

“I liked it a lot,” he told SNY.tv of BC. “I like the whole team. Great guys. The coaches and the school have a lot to offer.”

Asked what his role there would be, Uhl said, “I would play the four but they said there’s no difference between the three and the four.”

Next up is Iowa and he is also considering Temple, Miami and Vanderbilt.

“All three are coming to see me [Monday],” he said.

A native of Germany who has been in the U.S. for about a year, Uhl is cousins with Rhode Island’s Jarelle Reischel, who transferred from Rice.

Uhl came to the U.S. for a better opportunity in basketball. Last season, he averaged 10.4 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.7 steals at Point Pleasant Beach.

“He’s got a high upside,” Point Pleasant Beach coach Nick Catania told SNY.tv. “He’s just starting to come into his own with all his skillsets. He’s a kid that everything is so knew to him, everything is going to continue to get better. His shot from last year to this year has improved a ton. His handle has improved a ton. His post game’s gotten better. And he’s got a frame where if he gets bigger and stronger, when he adds the strength he’s going to be a tough kid to play against.”
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Dom Uhl, a 6-foot-8, 195-pound forward from Point Pleasant (N.J.) Beach, enjoyed his official visit to Boston College this weekend and heads to Iowa Sept. 19.

“I liked it a lot,” he told SNY.tv of BC. “I like the whole team. Great guys. The coaches and the school have a lot to offer.”

Asked what his role there would be, Uhl said, “I would play the four but they said there’s no difference between the three and the four.”

A native of Germany who has been in the U.S. for about a year, Uhl is cousins with Rhode Island’s Jarelle Reischel, who transferred from Rice.

Uhl came to the U.S. for a better opportunity in basketball. Last season, he averaged 10.4 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.7 steals at Point Pleasant Beach.

“He’s got a high upside,” Point Pleasant Beach coach Nick Catania told SNY.tv. “He’s just starting to come into his own with all his skillsets. He’s a kid that everything is so knew to him, everything is going to continue to get better. His shot from last year to this year has improved a ton. His handle has improved a ton. His post game’s gotten better. And he’s got a frame where if he gets bigger and stronger, when he adds the strength he’s going to be a tough kid to play against.”

Seems to be the priority. Hopefully we can close...
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I still think Cimino is going to be the one coming here. Uhl would be a huge get, but I think he goes elsewhere. Cimino is an excellent consolation prize though, he has played some huge games in the circuit this summer and really impressed some scouts. Fits perfectly in BC's system.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:00 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I still think Cimino is going to be the one coming here. Uhl would be a huge get, but I think he goes elsewhere. Cimino is an excellent consolation prize though, he has played some huge games in the circuit this summer and really impressed some scouts. Fits perfectly in BC's system.

It's unfortunate that we don't have scholarship slots available for both, but Magarity was a necessary insurance policy. I certainly won't complain if we get Cimino; his press clippings from the summer circuit are very encouraging. Uhl is certainly the hot property of the moment, and his videos show he has a ton of natural talent, so he's probably the preferred option; the only thing that nags at me is that Uhl, like any European player, will have the pro ball option lurking in the background.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I've said this before; UVA, K-State and BC have all cooled on Cimino. He hasn't shown enough improvement from last year for him to continue to get offers and coaches question his upside.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:37 am

BC has an in-home visit with Marial Shayok this Friday.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:46 pm

@BFlinnFuture150 2h
Boston College has an in home visit with 2014 F Justin Johnson. Western Kentucky has already visited today.

TOS says Johnson is a backup plan to Uhl
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
@BFlinnFuture150 2h
Boston College has an in home visit with 2014 F Justin Johnson. Western Kentucky has already visited today.

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:BC has an in-home visit with Marial Shayok this Friday.

It seems hard to believe that Donahue rates Johnson above Cimino, which goes against every scouting organization that I can get a look at. Shayok, however, is another story entirely, and could (if we're VERY lucky) confront Donahue with a painful choice: Uhl or Shayok? Both are obviously talented players with huge upsides, so maybe it's a question of who (we hope) commits first. Either one would be a wonderful get.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:21 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
@BFlinnFuture150 2h

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:BC has an in-home visit with Marial Shayok this Friday.

It seems hard to believe that Donahue rates Johnson above Cimino, which goes against every scouting organization that I can get a look at. Shayok, however, is another story entirely, and could (if we're VERY lucky) confront Donahue with a painful choice: Uhl or Shayok? Both are obviously talented players with huge upsides, so maybe it's a question of who (we hope) commits first. Either one would be a wonderful get.

Read above. All 3 high-majors that have offered Cimino have all cooled on him because of his lack of upside and improvement since last year.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:34 am

J.P. Macura to Xavier - never a very likely possibility for BC.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 pm

@TheRecruitScoop 5h
In-Home Visits: Notre Dame/Devin Robinson, Boston College/Marial Shayok, Kentucky/James Blackmon, Stanford/Justin Gray.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 pm

On the recruiting front, Point Beach senior point guard Matt Farrell told the Asbury Park Press on Sunday evening that he will visit Dartmouth on the weekend of Sept. 28, Fairfield on a still-to-be-determined weekend in early October and that Boston College has recently offered.

Monmouth highly covets the 6-foot-2 point guard and got involved with him early, but the Hawks have plenty of company as Farrell reiterated that he has not trimmed down his list of nearly two dozen schools. Farrell has not removed the West Long Branch from consideration.

Farrell’s original plan was to visit Fairfield with his close friend, Jackson Memorial forward Eric Carter, but dates could not be worked out to make it happen. As it stands, Carter is still slated to visit the Connecticut school the weekend of Sept. 28.

Indications are that Boston College offering Farrell recently has nothing to do with the Eagles going hard after Farrell’s teammate, 6-foot-8 forward Dominique Uhl. It is no secret that Eagles head coach Steve Donahue is a fan of heady, skilled, high-IQ guards, similar to the type of players Donahue had when his 2010 Cornell team marched to the Sweet 16, and Farrell fits that bill.

Boston College is the highest caliber team to offer Farrell to this point and while it is unknown whether or not Farrell will pay the Eagles any real mind, it could be a game-changer in his recruitment, not to mention be a serious problem if Monmouth still hopes to snag him.

Apparently BC evaluated him at an open gym.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Dartmouth and Monmouth? Sweet
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Dartmouth and Monmouth? Sweet

Yeah while I think Donahue has a good eye for talent this is another questionable offer.

My guess is they offered Farrell after seeing him play with Uhl at the open gym.
Last edited by BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum