recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Reeves is the guy BC needs to get. I'm not sure they are in on anyone else close to his talent for 2018
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:Reeves is the guy BC needs to get. I'm not sure they are in on anyone else close to his talent for 2018

I just looked at his offer list, best of luck with that one
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:24 pm

The recruiting has been extremely frustrating. We only have one commit and have signed 0 players. Virtually all of the top 100 ranked players have committed at this point. We have the pieces to become a good team, and I think we have gotten lucky this far finding a few diamonds in the rough for the 2015 and 2016 classes. But with Heath and Spinelli you would think we could recruit at least a little better. It's sad when both Harvard and Providence are both recruiting much better than us.

We desperately need a good forward who can play immediately.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:The recruiting has been extremely frustrating. We only have one commit and have signed 0 players. Virtually all of the top 100 ranked players have committed at this point. We have the pieces to become a good team, and I think we have gotten lucky this far finding a few diamonds in the rough for the 2015 and 2016 classes. But with Heath and Spinelli you would think we could recruit at least a little better. It's sad when both Harvard and Providence are both recruiting much better than us.

We desperately need a good forward who can play immediately.

This staff has made a habit or poaching late bloomer type kids or ones who decommit due to coaching changes, etc.

The Euro kid appears very good as their 1 commit right now.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bender on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:06 pm

I think it's understandable from the kids' perspective as to why they would choose Harvard or PC over us right now. The last ten years have been extra frustrating because this has been the best period for local recruiting that BC ever could've had and they've squandered it. You would think that AJ Reeves would be in play because he's going to school everyday about a half mile away, but that hasn't mattered with any local recruits in the past. I think it would be good to try and build a connection with local recruits, especially now that BABC isn't the only elite AAU team and there was whatever rift that led to BABC keeping their players away from BC.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Bender {l Wrote}:I think it's understandable from the kids' perspective as to why they would choose Harvard or PC over us right now. The last ten years have been extra frustrating because this has been the best period for local recruiting that BC ever could've had and they've squandered it. You would think that AJ Reeves would be in play because he's going to school everyday about a half mile away, but that hasn't mattered with any local recruits in the past. I think it would be good to try and build a connection with local recruits, especially now that BABC isn't the only elite AAU team and there was whatever rift that led to BABC keeping their players away from BC.

College basketball has become so transient, what does "local" even mean anymore ? For all the access BC has to the prep schools in the NE, the majority of those kids are from all over the place (look at Turner who went to New Hampton but is from Michigan). Reeves is obv a different case, since he is not at an "academy" coming from elsewhere, but in the world of AAU where these guys travel so much and give coaches all over the place exposure, it makes it that much more difficult.

Would it be nice to get local guys to stay around, yea, theres plenty of local talent, but BC has had success having to go outside the northeast under Skinner and has started finding guys under Christian from areas outside the NE. The nice thing about CBB is that it only takes one guy, and BC will hit one eventually, to totally change the perception locally and nationally. Its a real shame that BC couldn't work in a basketball only facility into the new rec center, that would go a long way in changing the perception of the local AAU guys who believe that BC is not committed to the sport through its awful facilities and steer guys elsewhere.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Graves to St Louis. Will be interesting to see how he makes out there.

---------------------------------

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 7h7 hours ago
Missouri freshman Willie Jackson will transfer, per a source.

We recruited this guy out of high school. The kid claims he wants to be closer to home (Ohio), but if he changes his mind I'd take him.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Graves to St Louis. Will be interesting to see how he makes out there.

---------------------------------

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 7h7 hours ago
Missouri freshman Willie Jackson will transfer, per a source.

We recruited this guy out of high school. The kid claims he wants to be closer to home (Ohio), but if he changes his mind I'd take him.

If he's transferring because of a family issue I doubt he'd even consider BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:56 pm

schollies as of next season:

Juniors (4) : JROB, AJ, Chatman, Meznieks (what happened to him?)
Sophomores (4) : Popovic, Bowman, Sagay, Reyes
Freshman (1): Kraljevic

we now have 2 guards that can handle the ball (Robinson and Bowman). i still find it preposterous that we lost Graves over playing time in a day and age where teams routinely play 3 guards at the same time and have guard rotations going 4-5 deep. i see the depth chart breaking down as follows:

Bigs: Pop, Reyes, Kraljevic
Wings: AJ, Chatman, Sagay, Meznieks
Guards: Robinson, Bowman

based on past history with this staff we'll likely find another 1-2 guys late in the signing period and round out the team with 5th years. needless to say, we need talent anywhere we can get it.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:37 pm

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:schollies as of next season:

we now have 2 guards that can handle the ball (Robinson and Bowman). i still find it preposterous that we lost Graves over playing time in a day and age where teams routinely play 3 guards at the same time and have guard rotations going 4-5 deep. i see the depth chart breaking down as follows:

based on past history with this staff we'll likely find another 1-2 guys late in the signing period and round out the team with 5th years. needless to say, we need talent anywhere we can get it.

They're in the pole position for that guard from Texas with LSU and PC in the hunt. Baby Rondo is his nickname.

Mezinkas is still here.

They're going to to the 5th year route again next year whether people like it or not.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:14 pm

my guess is sagay redshirts

5th year & 5th year
Sophomores (3) : Popovic, Bowman, Sagay, Reyes
Freshman (3): Kraljevic, Sagay, some late bloomer
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:48 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

my guess is sagay redshirts

5th year & 5th year
Sophomores (3) : Popovic, Bowman, Sagay, Reyes
Freshman (3): Kraljevic, Sagay, some late bloomer

The staff realized that Mezinkas is awful, mercifully.

Why would Sagay RS?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 pm

why wouldn't he? is he even on the bench yet?

claim that mono has taken him out for the year. apparently he needs the development time anyways
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 25GeraldRd on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:18 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They're in the pole position for that guard from Texas with LSU and PC in the hunt. Baby Rondo is his nickname.

Mezinkas is still here.

They're going to to the 5th year route again next year whether people like it or not.

ESPN lists BC in on the following 3 uncommitted players:
Howard Washington/PG/Buffalo, NY - other offers from Butler, UVA, Va Tech, Dayton
Donnie Tillman/SF/Detroit, MI - other offers from Cal, Creighton, Marquette, TCU, USC, Utah, Va Tech
Devin Newton/PG/Euless, TX - other offers from Georgetown, LSU
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:07 pm

can't say we're going after kids with shit offers.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Howard Washington and Donnie Tillman are leftover offers from before Preston Murphy left. We're not actually recruiting them as best as I can tell.

In the 2017 class I'm pretty sure we are going after Devin Newton and there is another guard named Skyler Nash we seem to be after. I am not sure if the commitment of Kraljevic means we're out on Jarrod Simmons....wouldn't surprise me.

We need (desperately) at least 1 and probably 2 more ballhandlers for next year's team. Given we've already got Bowman and Robinson, I don't think we're at all attractive to a 5th year guard. I also think we would be really well-served by a grad transfer at the 4 who can rebound and defend if we can find one.

That would mean next year's newcomers would be 1 or 2 guards, Kraljevic, and the grad transfer 4. This is my prediction. We're fine at the wings. Another 7 footer wouldn't hurt, but they don't grow on trees.

I also point out the staff has closed on recruits that have come out of nowhere from the fan perspective, such as Meznieks and Kraljevic. Maybe there is another such surprise to come.

The 2018 class is where things get interesting. AJ Reeves, Cormac Ryan, and Cole Swider are all legit 4 stars, all relatively local (Reeves' school is walking distance from BC), and we have been after all of them since essentially day 1...any of the three would be enormous. Of course, there's very strong competition at play for each.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Howard Washington and Donnie Tillman are leftover offers from before Preston Murphy left. We're not actually recruiting them as best as I can tell.

In the 2017 class I'm pretty sure we are going after Devin Newton and there is another guard named Skyler Nash we seem to be after. I am not sure if the commitment of Kraljevic means we're out on Jarrod Simmons....wouldn't surprise me.

We need (desperately) at least 1 and probably 2 more ballhandlers for next year's team. Given we've already got Bowman and Robinson, I don't think we're at all attractive to a 5th year guard. I also think we would be really well-served by a grad transfer at the 4 who can rebound and defend if we can find one.

That would mean next year's newcomers would be 1 or 2 guards, Kraljevic, and the grad transfer 4. This is my prediction. We're fine at the wings. Another 7 footer wouldn't hurt, but they don't grow on trees.

I also point out the staff has closed on recruits that have come out of nowhere from the fan perspective, such as Meznieks and Kraljevic. Maybe there is another such surprise to come.

The 2018 class is where things get interesting. AJ Reeves, Cormac Ryan, and Cole Swider are all legit 4 stars, all relatively local (Reeves' school is walking distance from BC), and we have been after all of them since essentially day 1...any of the three would be enormous. Of course, there's very strong competition at play for each.

The key to this team is Bowman, Robinson, Turner, and Pop sticking together and staying healthy. If we have a PF who is ready to play Day 1, this team can make the NCAA tournament next year. I don't like the idea of banking completely on Kraljevic. A grad transfer is fine, but a guy like Tava isn't going to cut it.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:29 pm

It will be a bummer if bowman goes pro
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Searching for info on Kraljevic, I learned that his assistant coach is Matt Humphrey

Odds are the shot clock was at about 26 when he launched the 3

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:why wouldn't he? is he even on the bench yet?

claim that mono has taken him out for the year. apparently he needs the development time anyways

Oh that he'll RS this year? Yes that's possible if the NCAA will let him.

He'll get decent minutes next year off the bench.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:why wouldn't he? is he even on the bench yet?

Oh that he'll RS this year? Yes that's possible if the NCAA will let him.

He'll get decent minutes next year off the bench.

I think I saw him on the bench during the Cuse game ? Not positive however. I remember with Hilliman and Wade in '15, the stipulation was not having played a certain % of games during the season, which they had not played thus qualifying them for a RS. I would have to think Sagay would qualify based on the timing of his absence assuming he doesn't make it back in time this year (played in 4 games @ 5.3 minutes per game per the BC stat page).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. After watching this team now for a few more games, the need for a PF and another G is critical. Critical in that it is really all the program needs to be a bubble team.

To be specific, I am not saying we need to get Mickey D AA or even high P5 kids with decent offers. I am talking about a 6'7" or 6'8" PF who has a limited offensive game but is a high-effort rebounder and defender. Essentially, the only O he'd be ask to do is put-backs and garbage lay-ins when the D has lost track of him... basically a Dennis Rodman/Uka Agbai type. What I just described is thoroughly a mid-major player and shouldn't be terribly hard to find or land (once identified).

As for a G... I am talking a bench player who is good enough to handle the ball in the open court (and when pressed)... who can hit open jumpers... and hit foul shots... and isn't a liability as a defender. Basically... someone with a game like Louis Hinnant/Biko Paris. Again... these guys are largely a dime a dozen and we should be able to beat out the mid-majors for their services.

My hope is that they attempt to bring in both during the late signing period (i.e. don't give up on the 2017 class yet).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I wouldn't mind snagging 2 grad transfers for the starting PF and backup PG. Especially since I think Robinson might bolt after next yr. Make the team as strong and as experienced as possible, since we'd have no seniors. But if Christian pursues a grad transfer, it should be the starting PF. I prefer a grad transfer backup PG cuz if either Bowman or Robinson get into foul trouble, we'd have an experienced guy at PG and have Bowman slide to SG if necessary.

F-Turner Jr
F-GRAD TRANSFER
C-Popovich So
G-Bowman So
G-Robinson Jr

F-Sagay So
F-Kraljevich Fr
C-Reyes RSo
G-GRAD TRANSFER
G-Chatman Jr

If Mezniaks doesn't transfer, there's still 2 open roster spots, unless there's a non-walk on player that i'm missing.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Grad transfers don't generally work like they do in football. First, very few decent ones redshirt. Second, if you aren't good enough to see big minutes at your current school as an upper classman, chances are you won't do well in the ACC. Finally, if you are that rare player who has a year left and are an elite talent, then you will have the Kentucky and Dukes of the world after you.

Bottom line is that I'd like to see us relying on grad transfers.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:I wouldn't mind snagging 2 grad transfers for the starting PF and backup PG. Especially since I think Robinson might bolt after next yr. Make the team as strong and as experienced as possible, since we'd have no seniors. But if Christian pursues a grad transfer, it should be the starting PF. I prefer a grad transfer backup PG cuz if either Bowman or Robinson get into foul trouble, we'd have an experienced guy at PG and have Bowman slide to SG if necessary.

F-Turner Jr
F-GRAD TRANSFER
C-Popovich So
G-Bowman So
G-Robinson Jr

F-Sagay So
F-Kraljevich Fr
C-Reyes RSo
G-GRAD TRANSFER
G-Chatman Jr

If Mezniaks doesn't transfer, there's still 2 open roster spots, unless there's a non-walk on player that i'm missing.

It would be shocking if Robinson declared early

even if he ended this yr and next season with a 20.0+ ppg in ACC play?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Grad transfers don't generally work like they do in football. First, very few decent ones redshirt. Second, if you aren't good enough to see big minutes at your current school as an upper classman, chances are you won't do well in the ACC. Finally, if you are that rare player who has a year left and are an elite talent, then you will have the Kentucky and Dukes of the world after you.

WRT to a grad transfer PF, he only needs to do what you mentioned above, tall-ish, glue player, does a lot of dirty work. We need that, since Reyes still seems a little lite in the tuchas. Hopefully, he'd be taller than Corey Jackson or Kev Hrobowski, obviously. Rob Blackwell's height or more would be fine.

I DON'T want Eli Carter 2.0, just a grad transfer PG who can hold down the fort for a yr, in addition to recruiting a freshman PG at the same time. It would help with the roster balance going fwd, no?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I've said it before and I'll say it again. After watching this team now for a few more games, the need for a PF and another G is critical. Critical in that it is really all the program needs to be a bubble team.

To be specific, I am not saying we need to get Mickey D AA or even high P5 kids with decent offers. I am talking about a 6'7" or 6'8" PF who has a limited offensive game but is a high-effort rebounder and defender. Essentially, the only O he'd be ask to do is put-backs and garbage lay-ins when the D has lost track of him... basically a Dennis Rodman/Uka Agbai type. What I just described is thoroughly a mid-major player and shouldn't be terribly hard to find or land (once identified).

As for a G... I am talking a bench player who is good enough to handle the ball in the open court (and when pressed)... who can hit open jumpers... and hit foul shots... and isn't a liability as a defender. Basically... someone with a game like Louis Hinnant/Biko Paris. Again... these guys are largely a dime a dozen and we should be able to beat out the mid-majors for their services.

My hope is that they attempt to bring in both during the late signing period (i.e. don't give up on the 2017 class yet).

The Euro kid and Devin Newton will probably be the PF and guard in your 2017 class.

I want no part of these mid-major grad transfers like we've had lately. If you sucked at Delaware you're probably going to really suck in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:46 am

To HJS's point, the kind of guys that BC lost the last 2 recruiting cycles (Silva and Marfo) would be huge assets in this program as developing players. Are they totally out on Jarrod Simmons for this class with Kraljevic committed ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Grad transfers don't generally work like they do in football. First, very few decent ones redshirt. Second, if you aren't good enough to see big minutes at your current school as an upper classman, chances are you won't do well in the ACC. Finally, if you are that rare player who has a year left and are an elite talent, then you will have the Kentucky and Dukes of the world after you.

WRT to a grad transfer PF, he only needs to do what you mentioned above, tall-ish, glue player, does a lot of dirty work. We need that, since Reyes still seems a little lite in the tuchas. Hopefully, he'd be taller than Corey Jackson or Kev Hrobowski, obviously. Rob Blackwell's height or more would be fine.

I DON'T want Eli Carter 2.0, just a grad transfer PG who can hold down the fort for a yr, in addition to recruiting a freshman PG at the same time. It would help with the roster balance going fwd, no?

What we've gotten thus far from 5th year transfers... Carter, Tava and Jeffers... is just about the best quality of 5th year transfers that we will ever get.

The reason why I'd rather take a recruit is that you will have a better chance of over-performance. Once a PF is labeled someone who doesn't have an offensive game, he loses interest from the top 100 schools... no matter how good his rebounding or D is. Similarly, a G who gets labeled as someone who can't create his own shot and can't penetrate into the paint... he loses interest from major programs. But, I'd argue, that if you aren't looking for that, you can get outsized talent in the areas of rebounding/defense and ball-handling. Not to mention, a HS kid could develop over time and be more than a one-year contributor... especially, if they are a hard-worker ala Jared Dudley.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Euro kid and Devin Newton will probably be the PF and guard in your 2017 class.

I want no part of these mid-major grad transfers like we've had lately. If you sucked at Delaware you're probably going to really suck in the ACC.

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:To HJS's point, the kind of guys that BC lost the last 2 recruiting cycles (Silva and Marfo) would be huge assets in this program as developing players. Are they totally out on Jarrod Simmons for this class with Kraljevic committed ?

Who are we still involved with? Is Devin Newton still a possibility? jarrod Simmons?

BTW... while Kraljevic sounds like a promising prospect, I do not view him as the 6'7" bounder/defender I think we immediately need.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum