recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:You don't get any "ideological purity" points for fielding a roster of 6 scholarship players who are all 4 star recruits. A backup who can actually play is a lot better than some Catholic school walk on who will hustle in practice and get dunked on in the games. And you're crazy if you talk about clogging up the roster, half of our scholarships are unfilled.

They won't be unfilled for all of the next four years that that guy is wasting a scholarship. You don't rebuild by just taking guys as freshmen. If he were a transfer or a senior, fine. No shitty freshmen.

That's a fair point, but you also don't rebuild by going 2-16 season after season while you wait like Linus in the pumpkin patch for all these 4 star recruits we keep coming in 3rd for to decide they want to play for a laughingstock. We're losing 3 largely useless big men after this year, we can afford to take 1 on, and hope he turns out to actually be a good player. Remember I said this when Syracuse gets us in foul trouble next year and we have to play 165 pound AJ Turner at the five and 6'4 Garland Owens at the 4.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:You don't get any "ideological purity" points for fielding a roster of 6 scholarship players who are all 4 star recruits. A backup who can actually play is a lot better than some Catholic school walk on who will hustle in practice and get dunked on in the games. And you're crazy if you talk about clogging up the roster, half of our scholarships are unfilled.

They won't be unfilled for all of the next four years that that guy is wasting a scholarship. You don't rebuild by just taking guys as freshmen. If he were a transfer or a senior, fine. No shitty freshmen.

That's a fair point, but you also don't rebuild by going 2-16 season after season while you wait like Linus in the pumpkin patch for all these 4 star recruits we keep coming in 3rd for to decide they want to play for a laughingstock. We're losing 3 largely useless big men after this year, we can afford to take 1 on, and hope he turns out to actually be a good player. Remember I said this when Syracuse gets us in foul trouble next year and we have to play 165 pound AJ Turner at the five and 6'4 Garland Owens at the 4.

I'd rather deal with that than have another Caudill.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Even if it means losing winnable games, when we have 4 open spots (at least) for next year?

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Even if it means losing winnable games, when we have 4 open spots (at least) for next year?

I agree with Corporal Funishment, everyone else is dumb.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Absolutely. Because winning a couple of games next year to go 12-19 costs you three more years of that guy that helps you to 12 wins at the expense of potential recruits that might get you to 16 or even 17
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Next year is another wasted year. Even if Hanlan returns, assuming we don't land some fifth years who can really play, BC will be a fringe NIT team at best. Taking a fringe player just so we don't have to play Owens at the 4 next year is bad planning.

Not to go all QuailMan, but Davis is Plan A, that kid from Michigan is Plan B and this kid is Plan C.

Hopefully they come to their senses on that German kid I have zero interest in another stand still chucker.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Next year is another wasted year. Even if Hanlan returns, assuming we don't land some fifth years who can really play, BC will be a fringe NIT team at best. Taking a fringe player just so we don't have to play Owens at the 4 next year is bad planning.

Not to go all QuailMan, but Davis is Plan A, that kid from Michigan is Plan B and this kid is Plan C.

Hopefully they come to their senses on that German kid I have zero interest in another stand still chucker.

Not that you're necessarily wrong about any of this, but do you cut yourself?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You got your groove back, Stella
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You got your groove back, Stella

I had a very unappreciated comment about eepstein and commavegarages budding relationship in the Miami game thread. I suggest that I got my groove back then, but no one noticed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
I had a very unappreciated comment about eepstein and commavegarages budding relationship in the Miami game thread. I suggest that I got my groove back then, but no one noticed.

You're right, that deserved more recognition than it received.

everysinglethread
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Here's something you'll like:

Russ Wood @RussHoops · 30m 30 minutes ago
Virginia Tech & Boston College coaches are at ISB (FL) 2day to see 2016 SF Jonathan Isaac (@jisaac_01) per his coach

4 star 6'9 small forward.

He said:
"I am very blessed to receive interest from Virginia Tech and Boston College today. These are both two good academic schools and they are both in the ACC, which is a great conference. Right now I am taking my recruitment slow and keeping my options open. What I like about BC is that they refuse to recruit a backup center and instead keep 4 open scholarships, just in case, no matter how many wins it costs them. That's one of the major things I'm looking for in a school."

At least one of our coaches is having a nice trip to sunny Florida.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

You're right, that deserved more recognition than it received.

everysinglethread

why thank you for the acknowledgment.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Here's something you'll like:

Virginia Tech & Boston College coaches are at ISB (FL) 2day to see 2016 SF Jonathan Isaac (@jisaac_01) per his coach

He said:
"I am very blessed to receive interest from Virginia Tech and Boston College today. These are both two good academic schools and they are both in the ACC, which is a great conference. Right now I am taking my recruitment slow and keeping my options open. What I like about BC is that they refuse to recruit a backup center and instead keep 4 open scholarships, just in case, no matter how many wins it costs them. That's one of the major things I'm looking for in a school."

This was a good effort. PhillyIntern and I acknowledge it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Here's something you'll like:

He said:

This was a good effort. PhillyIntern and I acknowledge it.

I only made up the quote. The twitter part is true. :P

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Finally some ackowledgment
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Am I missing something? Did Caudill (//player of his ilk) all of a sudden become the difference between winning and losing some ACC games next year?

You do realize that "another Caudill" means a player who is unable to get into playing shape but is costing us a scholarship right? How could another one like a player who can't currently get on the court be the difference between winning and losing winnable ACC games? If anything he is just at fault as the idiots on the court costing us winnable games as his scholarship represents opportunity cost.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Boston College 8 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm

honestly just lets get davis or more on to the next cycle
Boston College 8
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 am

Boston College 8 {l Wrote}:honestly just lets get davis or more on to the next cycle

This minus the typo. Davis being regarded as the one of the best rebounders in the 2015 class.

What weekend is he visiting this month? Signing him and a healthy Diallo means the volleyball games that break out when playing good teams would cease to occur
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 am

SIRIUS TIME:

I think Michael Edwards would be a 4 year contributor. I'd be pretty happy with him or Davis. I don't know if either is likely at this point both look like something the program hasn't had in awhile.

I find the concern about the big eastern european named kid to be kind of near sighted. He does look pretty terrible in his highlights and I wouldn't have great expectations, but how many kids do the Caudill thing and sit for four years without even a thought of real minutes? I think Caudill is the beneficiary of the timing of his scholarship combined with actually liking the school outside of basketball combined with not really caring very much about basketball.

Even if there was another player who fit the player specific criteria - terrible but sticking around with no hope of playing - If it was a more normal time for the program, the staff - and probably teammates - would be pressuring him to look elsewhere and I think he'd be another one-two year tryout like the Erik DeWitt, Das Big Man, Andrew Dudleys of the world.

I don't have much of an opinion on the german shooter.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby NaturalLight on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:14 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
NaturalLight {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd compare him more to the dude at Cuse.

Cooney? That dude is a stud. I just want recruits like him with huge nut sacs that are gonna fire from NBA range and dunk on peoples' faces. That's entertainment.

Are huge nut sacs the new fluid hips?

Not enough of a EO creature to know the answer to this, but yes.
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:48 pm

That kid with the euro name looks like he cant even touch the backboard no thanks. I wouldn't mind the kid from michigan at least he is athletic and can dunk on people. But if we cant get the top 150 kid after he visits, I'd rather waste a one year rental on a kid like we got from Harvard a couple years ago than waste a spot for four years. Clifford, Diallo, and Magarity is not a bad rotation just need one more big man for the rest of the minutes.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:That kid with the euro name looks like he cant even touch the backboard no thanks. I wouldn't mind the kid from michigan at least he is athletic and can dunk on people. But if we cant get the top 150 kid after he visits, I'd rather waste a one year rental on a kid like we got from Harvard a couple years ago than waste a spot for four years. Clifford, Diallo, and Magarity is not a bad rotation just need one more big man for the rest of the minutes.

Ah yes Andrew Van Ness. He was fine for 10 minutes a game.

We'll need a good backup, I have a hunch Diallo will foul like crazy next year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

1) I found footage of Vrankovic dunking (~ 37 seconds) and blocking a (5'7 white guys) shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamaD1ve-Jc

2) he apparently has an offer from Georgia and maybe not actually from us.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:1) I found footage of Vrankovic dunking (~ 37 seconds) and blocking a (5'7 white guys) shot.

If you're his height and can't dunk there is a problem
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:1) I found footage of Vrankovic dunking (~ 37 seconds) and blocking a (5'7 white guys) shot.

If you're his height and can't dunk there is a problem

I agree, but there are a bunch of posts about how he can't dunk and in his junior film I think that may be true.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm

I feel sad. When can we hoopz weardoZ beat off again?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 16h16 hours ago
Following the departure of Blake Harris from Montverde Academy (FL), 2016 Boston College commit Ty Graves is transferring, as well.

Not sure I can think of a positive spin to put on this one. :screamyeagle

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Friendly reminder Matt Milon is averaging 21.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg, and is shooting 53% from the field, 44% from 3 (on 152 attempts), and 85% from the line.

His team plays today in the regional final
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 16h16 hours ago
Following the departure of Blake Harris from Montverde Academy (FL), 2016 Boston College commit Ty Graves is transferring, as well.

I don't understand how it is positive or negative
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:31 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 16h16 hours ago

I don't understand how it is positive or negative

Well if you have the guy locked up and committed, no news is good news. Maybe he's angling for a better playing situation, but he could also end up getting more exposure/better offers in the next 15 months. The latter part is a no-win proposition for us.
Primetime
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum