recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:44 am

Marfo is 2016 right?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:04 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:We should have our point guard by Monday.

Carter is announcing on Monday . . .
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Nate2651 {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:They are both coming in this week. The 2015 big man is from Georgia. it is between BC and Arkansas for him. Marfo is likely to commit on the visit.

Too bad Marfo didnt commit. Kid looks good. The '15 big man visited PC day after BC so I'd say they were involved

What is Marfo's deal ? Is he staying at Worcester this season ? I thought I read someone post that he was transferring to Winchendon ?

He has picked up offers from BC, UMass, Minnesota and Georgia Tech basically since his BC visit. Would be nice to get an early commitment from him before more offers come in.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Give the MAC coach credit. He cobbled together a solid class. BB is all about stars and I'm not entirely sure we have any yet. But, an elite player is useless if you don't have some supporting personnel. In relatively short order, JC has been able to bring in ACC-level talent. If any of these kids develop into a star, great. But, at the very least, it seems that the foundation is now there such that if we land a star player in 2016, this program has the foundation where such an elite player would be able to deliver wins.

A year in... I think that JC has proven to be an excellent game coach who has recruited better than expected. More importantly, he improved his staff when he had the chance. Not sure if any of this will be enough to ultimately let the program rise from the ashes, but at least it has the correct trajectory.

This is right on. That said, not sure BC will ever recruit a ready made star. BC tends to stumble on them. Jackson might be the exception.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Give the MAC coach credit. He cobbled together a solid class. BB is all about stars and I'm not entirely sure we have any yet. But, an elite player is useless if you don't have some supporting personnel. In relatively short order, JC has been able to bring in ACC-level talent. If any of these kids develop into a star, great. But, at the very least, it seems that the foundation is now there such that if we land a star player in 2016, this program has the foundation where such an elite player would be able to deliver wins.

A year in... I think that JC has proven to be an excellent game coach who has recruited better than expected. More importantly, he improved his staff when he had the chance. Not sure if any of this will be enough to ultimately let the program rise from the ashes, but at least it has the correct trajectory.

This is right on. That said, not sure BC will ever recruit a ready made star. BC tends to stumble on them. Jackson might be the exception.

BC doesn't land Mickey D All Americans and won't ever land them. However, outside of Duds and Sidney, pretty much every one of our best players over the past 25 years were excellent HS players with multiple BIg 6 offers. Also, their greatness was immediately evident the second they stepped foot on campus.

From my perspective, our next great player will be someone with multiple ACC-level offers who then goes on to dominate their senior year. But, the key is that the ACC-level potential is readily evident... it is just a matter of when he puts it together. Where I give JC credit is that he is giving us a punchers chance for another TBell or Danya by recruiting players with elite talent/potential. Essentially, you can't do what Don was trying to do... winning Powerball by buying scratch-off tickets.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:10 pm

The surprise so far this summer is that Robinson is better than anticipated. Has PG passing skills, his handle is capable, and he shoots it well. He also is still growing and is now 6'6". Turner could start, pending who still gets recruited. We outrecruited PC for Reyes. He will be on campus this week. There is still more to come this summer with some interesting prospects.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:The surprise so far this summer is that Robinson is better than anticipated. Has PG passing skills, his handle is capable, and he shoots it well. He also is still growing and is now 6'6". Turner could start, pending who still gets recruited. We outrecruited PC for Reyes. He will be on campus this week. There is still more to come this summer with some interesting prospects.

(Disclosure: I don't know much about recruiting.) How often does a freshmen show up on campus and completely surprise a coach (positively or negatively) with his actual talent level? I get it that these guys know who they are recruiting and more or less their potentials, but the coaches also cast a wide net so I'd imagine they can't know each players' skillset 100%.

Ee: I feel like Caudill was a very negative surprise (based on his rating); Hanlan, a positive surprise
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:56 pm

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:The surprise so far this summer is that Robinson is better than anticipated. Has PG passing skills, his handle is capable, and he shoots it well. He also is still growing and is now 6'6". Turner could start, pending who still gets recruited. We outrecruited PC for Reyes. He will be on campus this week. There is still more to come this summer with some interesting prospects.

(Disclosure: I don't know much about recruiting.) How often does a freshmen show up on campus and completely surprise a coach (positively or negatively) with his actual talent level? I get it that these guys know who they are recruiting and more or less their potentials, but the coaches also cast a wide net so I'd imagine they can't know each players' skillset 100%.

Ee: I feel like Caudill was a very negative surprise (based on his rating); Hanlan, a positive surprise

Typically its less "wow, we didn't think he was that good" and more "wow, we didn't think he'd be that good right away".
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:

Typically its less "wow, we didn't think he was that good" and more "wow, we didn't think he'd be that good right away".

You are giving coaches WAY too much credit. They really do not know what they have in a player until they show up on campus. Let's all remember that the second best player in the NBA is a kid of an NBA start who was All-State at a big school in Carolina and he still couldn't muster a schollie from his dream school (which was his Dad's alma-mater)... Virginia Tech.

Coaches simply don't know how a kid will adjust when he faces superior athletes. Nor do they know their work ethic. That said, by in large, coaches get a pretty good read on a kid once they have a chance to work with them in practice.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Robinson's tape was very impressive he is someone who I latched on to immediately as a steal. His flaw seemed to be he was a little tentative. I still think him playing 30 minutes a game as a freshman at PG is a recipe for disaster.

There's no way Carter goes to UNLV, they have a lot of guards already.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

BC doesn't land Mickey D All Americans and won't ever land them. However, outside of Duds and Sidney, pretty much every one of our best players over the past 25 years were excellent HS players with multiple BIg 6 offers. Also, their greatness was immediately evident the second they stepped foot on campus.

From my perspective, our next great player will be someone with multiple ACC-level offers who then goes on to dominate their senior year. But, the key is that the ACC-level potential is readily evident... it is just a matter of when he puts it together. Where I give JC credit is that he is giving us a punchers chance for another TBell or Danya by recruiting players with elite talent/potential. Essentially, you can't do what Don was trying to do... winning Powerball by buying scratch-off tickets.

Robinson - Clemson, Rutgers
Milon - FSU, Stanford, Witchita, Creighton, Auburn, Purdue, VT, etc.
Turner - Mich St, Michigan, FSU, Stanford, Arizona St, Iowa St, etc.
SBT - St Johns, USC
Reyes - Providence, Arkansas, etc.
Diallo - UCLA, USC, VT, etc.
Graves - UVA, VT, Wake, Clemson, etc.

Pretty impressive considering the disaster this program was when he took over. They seem to have a good feel for the transfer market as well.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am

Spears reporting we got Carter! :elephant
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am

BREAKING: Florida transfer Eli Carter will transfer to Boston College. Big get for Jim Christian & staff. Best available 5th year transfer.

https://twitter.com/Zacklopedia/status/613026780153167872

Well done Christian and co.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Wow
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hunta518 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:04 pm

If you're always right can you still be a h00pz weird0?
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 pm

Excellent.

Carter takes some pressure of Robinson at the point + adds senior leadership (other than Clifford?) and athleticism + reduces scholarship imbalance
ckoub01
n00b

Postby eaglecaddy on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm

:cheers :chewbanka
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:29 pm

No matter how many games they win this year, this team should be a lot of fun to watch.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:32 pm

This team is going to be fun to watch next year win or lose. Besides the few local misses early on in the process, gotta love what Christian has done in his time here at Boston College with bringing in new players. Brown and Batten could be in the discussion for our best players last year after Hanlan too. Love all the freshman he brought in for 2015 and Diallo. Have no clue about the Euro kid but everyone else looks like they can ball.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:This team is going to be fun to watch next year win or lose. Besides the few local misses early on in the process, gotta love what Christian has done in his time here at Boston College with bringing in new players. Brown and Batten could be in the discussion for our best players last year after Hanlan too. Love all the freshman he brought in for 2015 and Diallo. Have no clue about the Euro kid but everyone else looks like they can ball.

The one negative is the mega class aspect (which is partially out of JCs hands with attrition/etc...). I wonder if they brought in Meznieks (sp?) with the thought that if he works out, great, if not we can convince him to go back to play pro in europe and open up a spot to help with scholarship spacing.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Massive classes always take care of themselves. If they are not good, JC won't be around long enough to care, and guys will leave in droves. Like Cornell Con Man's class.

If they are good, there aren't enough rocks to go around and guys will leave for PT
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Got him.

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Make no mistake, Carter is an undersized guard who is going to chuck it early and often. He got up 12 shots per game at Rutgers in 28 minutes per game, and the 3 point percentages aren't especially good for a guy who shoots so many of them. I would bet that Christian's willingness to give him the green light to fire away was the primary determinant in him choosing us over Georgetown. That said, somebody's going to have to shoot the ball next year and I think we are clearly better off with him than without him. My expectations are still pretty low for next year but it's not too hard to imagine us being better than VT and GT again.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm

exactly. were still gonna need a guy to hold and chuck the ball with athens leaving despite some talent coming in
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:13 pm

On a team full of freshman, a guy that can dribble and chuck is an asset.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm sorry I made a "big news from Houston" joke at your expense.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Some info about Carter from an RU grad guy I know, he writes for some random SBNation blog. Trying to ask some Gator fans or some SEC hoops guys I know if they remember what he was like at UF:

[Carter's] "...not interested in defense. Loves to drive and shoot off-balanced from the top of the key. Can go invisible if bored. He's a high volume shooter who needs the whole offense to operate around him. Also, he's not a "bad guy," but he doesn't have the greatest character. It's either all about Eli or nothing. He'll score double digits and have a few 30+ point games and win a few games single handedly, but he's not carrying a team anywhere."
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm

If you hadn't guessed, I do know Jim fairly well. Anybody who thinks he will give Carter the green light to shoot at will is well off the mark. He designs his offense to suit what his talent dictates. As he is still not done recruiting, and we still don't know the composition of the full roster, any speculation as to what is going to happen is sheer speculation. He will figure out what he has throughout the summer into October before fully figuring it out and designing his offense.. I know the purpose of the message board is for guys to predict outcomes and offer their two cents, but I think if you're reallyc oncerned about what the season will be like, sit back, take a few deep breaths, and wait for November.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Carter is the guy with the ball and he has no backup. Good luck turning that green light off.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

And frankly, please don't turn the green light off until the freshmen get settled in. Thanks in advance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum