recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:can the people who are calling Falzon bad/his dad an asshole come up with something about Josh Sharma so I can feel better? THIS IS IMPORTANT!

can't fault a kid for going to stanford for both (1) better education and (b) better basketball.

i know that your efforts to matriculate to the 13th grade didn't have you looking at what these sorts of schools could do for you but from those of us that did... trust us that stanford is much better (and not just because it is a university with an engineering school)

I agree. The only good reason Sharma had to choose BC over Stanford was that BC was closer to home, and for all we know being close to home may not have mattered to him.

Isn't Stanford closer to his home now that his dad was supposedly transferred to the West Coast?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 pm

really had no choice :dildodog
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 pm

lol thank god for Jimmy C.

Luckily we snatched him up before anyone else in the ACC could.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:25 pm

I have to keep telling myself that we are just BC. We can't expect to be good. We shouldn't care if our coach is one of the most mediocre coaches in the land.

Who the fuck are we to think we should be more than we actually are?
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I have to keep telling myself that we are just BC. We can't expect to be good. We shouldn't care if our coach is one of the most mediocre coaches in the land.

Who the fuck are we to think we should be more than we actually are?

------------------------------

Sad to say, but old 06 has nailed it.

And things ain't gonna change until the one change that can restore our integrity, and in turn our reputation around the country is made.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby lobstalova on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Even if we don't get McDuffie it isn't fair to compare this staff to Donahue, so having the same reaction to recruiting woes is not fair as well. JC has done 100x more than Donahue in his first six months. We've got three solid recruits coming next year and the possibility for a fourth. I think that would be a much better class than Donahue's first.

Also, we all want to be good right now, or even next year, but the reality is even bringing in a guy like sharma does not mean we will be good this year or next. The guy is not ready to compete at the ACC level (there are only so many Tyler hansboroughs in this world) BC is a project and always will be. It took the winningest coach in our history (skinner) even a few years to get the ball rolling.

I agree with the Donahue firing and I agree with the JC hiring being a little less than what we may have wanted, but nobody else wants to coach here... give the guy more than six months before you start calling this a bad hire.
lobstalova
n00b

Postby EagleDave on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm

lobstalova {l Wrote}:Even if we don't get McDuffie it isn't fair to compare this staff to Donahue, so having the same reaction to recruiting woes is not fair as well. JC has done 100x more than Donahue in his first six months. We've got three solid recruits coming next year and the possibility for a fourth. I think that would be a much better class than Donahue's first.

Also, we all want to be good right now, or even next year, but the reality is even bringing in a guy like sharma does not mean we will be good this year or next. The guy is not ready to compete at the ACC level (there are only so many Tyler hansboroughs in this world) BC is a project and always will be. It took the winningest coach in our history (skinner) even a few years to get the ball rolling.

I agree with the Donahue firing and I agree with the JC hiring being a little less than what we may have wanted, but nobody else wants to coach here... give the guy more than six months before you start calling this a bad hire.

The problem with this line of thinking is that one need only look at the adjacent building on campus to see what the right coach can do for an ailing program.

BC football was arguably in as bad or worse a position than basketball is, but through some savvy connections at an old job and strong recruiting, the Dazzler has put that program back on track a lot faster than any of us thought he would despite the same disadvantages that basketball faces (bad recent history, academics, support, etc etc) and the fact that you need WAY more quality players to turn around a program in football than basketball.

So, with that said, why is it okay for Christian to strike out on every major prospect he dared to swing at while turning down another? This was a piss poor hire from the beginning. The guy had no track record of success anywhere that would indicate he could rebuild a program in maybe the best conference in America. Hiring quality assistants was supposed to cover some of his weaknesses, yet, despite their best efforts to get some of these potential game changers on the line, Christian couldn't bring in one of them.

And spare me the nonsense about the 3-star guys already committed. Donahue brought in a bunch of those too. None of them are game changers, but hey, they might keep us battling for 11th instead of 14th while Christian updates his resume for his inevitable move back to the MAC in 2017.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 am

EagleDave,

The MAC might be more than alma mater can handle.

NEC might be a better fit - although we've shown that we can't beat Bryant.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 am

I think it's now appropriate to shift this conversation to what a scumbag JOB is and guessing a timeline before LaFleur and crew get PC banned from postseason play.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:28 am

I'm not going to pretend I know any of the players well enough to say how they'll ultimately turn out, but a Turner/Milon/Robinson recruiting class is not at a much different level than a Owens/Magarity/Hicks recruiting class. And that was the Don's 3rd best recruiting year out of 4...
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:40 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:I agree with the Donahue firing and I agree with the JC hiring being a little less than what we may have wanted, but nobody else wants to coach here... give the guy more than six months before you start calling this a bad hire.

Huh? Do you please have a link to support this claim?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby cremins on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:43 am

this is crappy news, i really hope he can land mcduffie now, i think the big issue could be the fall out between
the assistant coaches, who are proven recruiters and christian if this continues to happen going forward.
i dont really blame sharma for goign to stanford, most of us would if we had the chance. lets just land mcdufie
and move on to actual games this year.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:I agree with the Donahue firing and I agree with the JC hiring being a little less than what we may have wanted, but nobody else wants to coach here... give the guy more than six months before you start calling this a bad hire.

Without answering directly, a typical BC coaching search on this message board goes like this:

1) Mo'J makes a list that reads like its tailored to BC and has some kind of basis in reality but it does not. Usually looks something like: Smart, Pearl, Marshall, young Pitino, Few, Red Auerbach. For some reason this is accepted each time as reality and sets a stupid expectation.

2) MaroonN'Gloid pastes his stupid NEC comment for the 20,000th time.

3) Everyone wishes that MaroonN'Gloid blood pressure would finally reach stroke level. It doesn't for some reason.

4) Vinny photoshops candidates on Mo'Js list poorly, killing any chance of them considering BC.

5) The actual list of candidates emerges. It is as dissimilar Mo'Js list as TRE to one of his brothers.

6) Everyone latches on to a candidate on the new list. Not the same candidate necessarily.

7) BC hires somebody else. Everyone hates the candidate.

8) Mental gymnastics - steal underpants.

9) ??

10) Profit
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I'm not going to pretend I know any of the players well enough to say how they'll ultimately turn out, but a Turner/Milon/Robinson recruiting class is not at a much different level than a Owens/Magarity/Hicks recruiting class. And that was the Don's 3rd best recruiting year out of 4...

exactly... christian's "great job" smells a lot like bates "great job"

a lot of lip service has been paid but the players on the court haven't gotten much better and the lines onto shea have only gotten longer

you w3ird0z did the same thing when beeker showed up with his lab coat on fire. ERMEHGERD HE'S MAKING THE PLAYERS RUN IN PRACTICE!!!! WE'RE GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR JUST LIKE CORNELL!!!

the only thing i have to say to all of this is
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby lobstalova on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:46 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Ok I am a new poster here so I hope I can try and nail two points with one post.

First. Eagledave I don't think it's fair to compare football and basketball but if we are then addazio hasn't done anything better than Christian. Basing this off of just star ratings because we haven't seen any of JCs recruits play yet! Addazio hasn't pulled in any bigger recruits than Donahue or Christian did. Tyler Murphy is a great get but remember he was a two star coming out of high school and he is currently our best offensive player maybe best player overall. Comparing someone who has coached a game to someone who has not is not fair. I agree with you that Adazzio has done a great job.

And to address the quoted comment I'm pretty sure tommy amaker (Ivy League coach) didn't want to come here. We offered and he said no.

Here is my link: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... story.html

Let's wait until we see what JC has to offer us on the court before we put his head on a plate or even compare him to Addazio.

P.S I'm not a huge fan of star ratings in that I don't put much merit into them (see luke kuechly and jared Dudley). But if we are going to compare Adazzio and JC... According to rivals Addazio's best recruit in two years was rated 180th overall (Harold Landry) while JCs best in six months is rated 108th ( AJ Turner)

I just dropped the mic and walked off stage.
Last edited by lobstalova on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lobstalova
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Without answering directly, a typical BC coaching search on this message board goes like this:

1) Mo'J makes a list that reads like its tailored to BC and has some kind of basis in reality but it does not. Usually looks something like: Smart, Pearl, Marshall, young Pitino, Few, Red Auerbach. For some reason this is accepted each time as reality and sets a stupid expectation.

2) MaroonN'Gloid pastes his stupid NEC comment for the 20,000th time.

3) Everyone wishes that MaroonN'Gloid blood pressure would finally reach stroke level. It doesn't for some reason.

4) Vinny photoshops candidates on Mo'Js list poorly, killing any chance of them considering BC.

5) The actual list of candidates emerges. It is as dissimilar Mo'Js list as TRE to one of his brothers.

6) Everyone latches on to a candidate on the new list. Not the same candidate necessarily.

7) BC hires somebody else. Everyone hates the candidate.

8) Mental gymnastics - steal underpants.

9) ??

10) Profit

9 is where HJS takes credit for predicting the hire.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Ok I am a new poster here so I hope I can try and nail two points with one post.

First. Eagledave I don't think it's fair to compare football and basketball but if we are then addazio hasn't done anything better than Christian. Basing this off of just star ratings because we haven't seen any of JCs recruits play yet! Addazio hasn't pulled in any bigger recruits than Donahue or Christian did. Tyler Murphy is a great get but remember he was a two star coming out of high school and he is currently our best offensive player maybe best player overall. Comparing someone who has coached a game to someone who has not is not fair. I agree with you that Adazzio has done a great job.

And to address the quoted comment I'm pretty sure tommy amaker (Ivy League coach) didn't want to come here. We offered and he said no.

Let's wait until we see what JC has to offer us on the court before we put his head on a plate or even compare him to Addazio.

Ignoring the wanting to coach here thing because it is fucking stupid. Instead I will address the less stupid argument in paragraph 1 with 1 name. Jonathan Hilliman.

I have much more to say about that abomination of a paragraph, but I think that does it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby lobstalova on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Ignoring the wanting to coach here thing because it is fucking stupid. Instead I will address the less stupid argument in paragraph 1 with 1 name. Jonathan Hilliman.

I have much more to say about that abomination of a paragraph, but I think that does it.

Continue please, we've seen hilliman play I college, not AJ Turner
lobstalova
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Continue please, we've seen hilliman play I college, not AJ Turner

You said something about the idiot star ratings. I didn't bother addressing the rest.

lobstalova {l Wrote}:Addazio hasn't pulled in any bigger recruits than Donahue or Christian did.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:And to address the quoted comment I'm pretty sure tommy amaker (Ivy League coach) didn't want to come here. We offered and he said no.

Erroneous.

Bates offered Amaker an interview. Amaker responded that his resume spoke for itself and he shouldn't have to interview for the BC job. Bates refused to offer Amaker the job without an interview. Amaker went to the press and said he wasn't going to coach at BC. This is how it actually went down.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby lobstalova on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:And to address the quoted comment I'm pretty sure tommy amaker (Ivy League coach) didn't want to come here. We offered and he said no.

Erroneous.

Bates offered Amaker an interview. Amaker responded that his resume spoke for itself and he shouldn't have to interview for the BC job. Bates refused to offer Amaker the job without an interview. Amaker went to the press and said he wasn't going to coach at BC. This is how it actually went down.

Fair enough if it's true
lobstalova
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:48 am

Erroneous.

This. Not to mention there were a few others who openly expressed interest in the job as well as some rumored to have been interested. It is just plain stupid to say that no one wants to be the BC basketball coach so therefore be happy with Mr. .500.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

It's more stupid to say that Addazio hasn't done more in recruiting than Don or JC
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

P.S I'm not a huge fan of star ratings in that I don't put much merit into them (see luke kuechly and jared Dudley). But if we are going to compare Adazzio and JC... According to rivals Addazio's best recruit in two years was rated 180th overall (Harold Landry) while JCs best in six months is rated 108th ( AJ Turner)

I agree with most of what you say, lobsta, but I don't agree with the rationalization based on best recruit's overall ranking. I for one am not a fan of the star rankings for the same reason you mentioned. However, is it fair to compare basketball to football when football each year has to fill ~25 spots as compared to basketball's ~3-4? (Again not an expert) but it would seem that landing a top 100 recruit would be ~5 times harder in football than basketball just based on the sheer number of recruits that each team brings in every year (could be less severe because there are more bball programs, but hopfeull you get the gist). Therefore, landing a Landry/Hilliman is much more significant than getting a Aj Turner.

I'm still practicing patience with JC and his recruiting, but comparatively I do have to say that Daz is a much better recruiter and I would want to see BC be able to land more of the Sharma's of the world. Again, the boat isn't sinking yet, but this further hurts my 1 year theory.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's more stupid to say that Addazio hasn't done more in recruiting than Don or JC

Once I saw him say he doesn't put much stock in star ratings then proceed to use star ratings to defend his argument, I decided not to bother.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Erroneous.

This. Not to mention there were a few others who openly expressed interest in the job as well as some rumored to have been interested. It is just plain stupid to say that no one wants to be the BC basketball coach so therefore be happy with Mr. .500.

If I recall correctly, Amaker was OK with interviewing... just that he didn't want to be a part of a process where BC interviewed a bunch of different coaches and then picked one (basically, use the interview as nothing more than the final step in the process... not the first). Essentially, Amaker wanted BC to run the search they way most major programs run their searches... identify your top 2 or 3 candidates. Find out who is interested. Hire them. If that doesn't work out, run through the dog-and-pony show of a nationwide search of mid-major guys. Amaker simply didn't want to be a part of the dog-and-pony show.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Erroneous.

If I recall correctly, Amaker was OK with interviewing... just that he didn't want to be a part of a process where BC interviewed a bunch of different coaches and then picked one (basically, use the interview as nothing more than the final step in the process... not the first). Essentially, Amaker wanted BC to run the search they way most major programs run their searches... identify your top 2 or 3 candidates. Find out who is interested. Hire them. If that doesn't work out, run through the dog-and-pony show of a nationwide search of mid-major guys. Amaker simply didn't want to be a part of the dog-and-pony show.

I'm glad we didn't hire Tommy Amaker.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Erroneous.

I'm glad we didn't hire Tommy Amaker.

Me too. He's not good at the coaching part of the job. Recruiting, he's a wiz
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby lobstalova on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:49 am

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I agree with most of what you say, lobsta, but I don't agree with the rationalization based on best recruit's overall ranking. I for one am not a fan of the star rankings for the same reason you mentioned. However, is it fair to compare basketball to football when football each year has to fill ~25 spots as compared to basketball's ~3-4? (Again not an expert) but it would seem that landing a top 100 recruit would be ~5 times harder in football than basketball just based on the sheer number of recruits that each team brings in every year (could be less severe because there are more bball programs, but hopfeull you get the gist). Therefore, landing a Landry/Hilliman is much more significant than getting a Aj Turner.

I'm still practicing patience with JC and his recruiting, but comparatively I do have to say that Daz is a much better recruiter and I would want to see BC be able to land more of the Sharma's of the world. Again, the boat isn't sinking yet, but this further hurts my 1 year theory.

Yeah that was a caveat I forgot to mention (the quantity of players thing) , but if we are comparing addazio to a guy who hasn't coached a game thus we haven't seen any of his players play what else do we have to base it on than stars and ratings? If anyone can answer that question it'd be great. That's why I used the stars as an example. I don't think they hold much merit but how else can one judge JC thus far?

I think we should stop comparing him to a football coach and put ourselves in Bate's shoes. As an AD would you be happy with JC thus far? I would be content, and excited to see what he puts out on the floor in November
lobstalova
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:02 am

lobstalova {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Yeah that was a caveat I forgot to mention (the quantity of players thing) , but if we are comparing addazio to a guy who hasn't coached a game thus we haven't seen any of his players play what else do we have to base it on than stars and ratings? If anyone can answer that question it'd be great. That's why I used the stars as an example. I don't think they hold much merit but how else can one judge JC thus far?

I think we should stop comparing him to a football coach and put ourselves in Bate's shoes. As an AD would you be happy with JC thus far? I would be content, and excited to see what he puts out on the floor in November

Even just using stars and ranking systems, Addazio has pulled in MUCH bigger recruits in Hilliman, Strachan and Landry, as well as Wade, Outlow and the tackles from CT and FL. Not to mention the impact of the transfers - that's one area where I like what JC has done, however. At this point thought, without one of the big recruits in this hoop class, it is just okay.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum