recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby Logitano on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:@mjessenhoward: 2015 Bronx PFJonathan Nwankwo (@Bigbrothers2k3) reports 11 offers, including Boston College, Minnesota, Seton Hall, and Tennessee.

Nwankwo is a big kid (6'10", 245) who reportedly rebounds well at both ends and appears to have a good deal of upside. BC offered him in March, about the same time as SH and Tenn.; Minnesota offered him back around Labor Day 2013 (their kind of player - large). Nwankwo seems to have moved into **** territory lately, so new high-major offers may appear.

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Corey Evans‏@coreyevans_10·3h
Donovan Mitchell has added offers from USF, Louisville, and Memphis. Kansas, UNLV, Villanova, and Georgetown could be next #Breakout14

slipping away :screamyeagle :screamyeagle

"Slipping away" is evidence of past overoptimism; Mitchell has been marked as blue-chip talent for quite a while, so it was clear he was going to be a tough get. He plays for Brewster but he's from NY, so he could end up in any part of the country.

BTW, Matt Ryan committed to Notre Dame. He was a recruiting leftover from Donahue, so I'd pretty much dismissed him, but it's always irritating to have someone you recruited playing in the same conference.

Doubt Matt Ryan ever really contributes. Tons of medical red flags and he is not even a senior yet. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm

BC has offered 2015 C Sylvester Ogbonda (6'11", 210), a Nigerian who plays for National Christian Academy just outside DC. He sounds a lot like Diallo - raw but extremely athletic, with a huge upside - but apparently a little further ahead at the offensive end. Maryland may have the inside track right now, but Ogbonda has only begun to be noticed outside his immediate surroundings, so a lot could still happen.

Apparently determined to clean out the closet at Northfield Mount Hermon, BC has also offered 2016 F A.J. Brodeur (6'8", 210), a transfer/reclassifier who starred at Algonquin Regional in central Mass. before making the jump to NEPSAC; last season he averaged 8.6 ppg and 5.0 rpg coming off the bench for NMH. Brodeur is still very much a sleeper, almost completely absent from the online recruiting sites; BC is his first high-major offer, so the staff is either stealing a march or making a mistake. Considering that Brodeur still has two years of prep school left, I'm inclined to be optimistic; I just hope he doesn't lose too much PT to Tomas Murphy this coming season.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm

All coaches on the staff flew down to Georgia to watch the tournament of the top 30 UnderArmour AAU teams. They were all court side to watch Donovan Mitchell play the other day. I expect to see more offers and news come out in the next couple of days.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:All coaches on the staff flew down to Georgia to watch the tournament of the top 30 UnderArmour AAU teams. They were all court side to watch Donovan Mitchell play the other day. I expect to see more offers and news come out in the next couple of days.

Jon Rothstein made a few tweets with BC interest ...

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein
Another team hot on the trail of 2015 SG Donovan Mitchell? BC. Eagles' staff was four deep last night for the sharpshooter. #UAAFINALS

Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein
NE Playaz PF Jarred Reuter is a mini version of Luke Harangody. Will be a 10 + 7 guy as a freshman as long as he gets solid mins. #UAAFINALS
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:19 am

Offer out to 2015 VA Chris Clarke. Also Christian was on hand to watch BABC with Jeremy Miller and Terance Mann.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 am

As best as I can gather Christian and all the assistants watched Mitchell 2 days ago and yesterday Chrsitian saw Mann/BABC and then later Sharma, while at least one assistant watched Mitchell again. Shows you where our priorities are.

Here's a writeup on Falzon I found as well, last quote is especially encouraging :D :D

Aaron Falzon (2015/Northfield Mt. Hermon, Mass./Expressions Elite)
One of the highest-ranked recruits at Competitive Edge today (ESPN ranks him 97th, Yahoo! 96th), Falzon holds offers from a number of high-major schools, including Marquette, Notre Dame, NC State, Providence, Georgia, and Penn State.

However, he said he is currently hearing most from Harvard, Boston College, Northwestern, Stanford, and Virginia, and has visited a few of those schools already.

“I’ve been to BC and Harvard a couple times. I went to Northwestern,” he said. “BC is about five minutes away from my house, I’ve been there 20 times probably. Harvard is Harvard, it’s a great school. It speaks for itself. Northwestern is a great school. It’s in a nice part of Chicago, it’s real nice.”

All five of the schools he mentioned, aside from having solid basketball programs, are renowned for their elite academics. This is something that is very important to Falzon as he analyzes his options.

“It’s the same as basketball. It’s really 50/50, up there with the campus. That’s the biggest focus for my parents, and it’s one of the biggest focuses for me,” he said.

Falzon has seen his stock rise throughout the Spring and into the Summer, after performing very well for Expressions in EYBL play (he averaged almost 17 points per game), as well as at both Kevin Durant’s and Lebron James’ respective Skills Academies. He particularly enjoyed the latter two events.

“They were unbelieveable. You have some of the best coaches in the world teaching you how to play the game of basketball. And you’ve got the two greatest players there, it’s their camps,” he explained. “You can see the way they carry themselves. It was a great experience, just to learn and play with the best players in the country.”

While he is still planning his official visits for this Fall, Falzon has an idea of when he wants to make his decision.

“Before the season,” he said. “Probably October, early November at the latest.”

Considered a firm high-major recruit, Falzon is not bothered by the fact that he does not yet hold offers from some of the elite schools in those conferences; in fact, it is something he likes.

“It they want me, they’re gonna come,” he said. “I wouldn’t mind going to one of the lower schools in the conference, then going into the big schools and kicking their butts.

:screamyeagle
:screamyeagle :screamyeagle
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 pm

And according to twitter so far today, our coaches watched . . . Mitchell, Sharma, and Mann/BABC. Along with Falzon these are clearly the ones the staff want the most.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:As best as I can gather Christian and all the assistants watched Mitchell 2 days ago and yesterday Chrsitian saw Mann/BABC and then later Sharma, while at least one assistant watched Mitchell again. Shows you where our priorities are.

Here's a writeup on Falzon I found as well, last quote is especially encouraging :D :D

Aaron Falzon (2015/Northfield Mt. Hermon, Mass./Expressions Elite)
One of the highest-ranked recruits at Competitive Edge today (ESPN ranks him 97th, Yahoo! 96th), Falzon holds offers from a number of high-major schools, including Marquette, Notre Dame, NC State, Providence, Georgia, and Penn State.

However, he said he is currently hearing most from Harvard, Boston College, Northwestern, Stanford, and Virginia, and has visited a few of those schools already.

“I’ve been to BC and Harvard a couple times. I went to Northwestern,” he said. “BC is about five minutes away from my house, I’ve been there 20 times probably. Harvard is Harvard, it’s a great school. It speaks for itself. Northwestern is a great school. It’s in a nice part of Chicago, it’s real nice.”

All five of the schools he mentioned, aside from having solid basketball programs, are renowned for their elite academics. This is something that is very important to Falzon as he analyzes his options.

“It’s the same as basketball. It’s really 50/50, up there with the campus. That’s the biggest focus for my parents, and it’s one of the biggest focuses for me,” he said.

Falzon has seen his stock rise throughout the Spring and into the Summer, after performing very well for Expressions in EYBL play (he averaged almost 17 points per game), as well as at both Kevin Durant’s and Lebron James’ respective Skills Academies. He particularly enjoyed the latter two events.

“They were unbelieveable. You have some of the best coaches in the world teaching you how to play the game of basketball. And you’ve got the two greatest players there, it’s their camps,” he explained. “You can see the way they carry themselves. It was a great experience, just to learn and play with the best players in the country.”

While he is still planning his official visits for this Fall, Falzon has an idea of when he wants to make his decision.

“Before the season,” he said. “Probably October, early November at the latest.”

Considered a firm high-major recruit, Falzon is not bothered by the fact that he does not yet hold offers from some of the elite schools in those conferences; in fact, it is something he likes.

“It they want me, they’re gonna come,” he said. “I wouldn’t mind going to one of the lower schools in the conference, then going into the big schools and kicking their butts.

:screamyeagle
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:And according to twitter so far today, our coaches watched . . . Mitchell, Sharma, and Mann/BABC. Along with Falzon these are clearly the ones the staff want the most.:screamyeagle :screamyeagle

The coaching staff should all get big raises if they can get all of those four. Mitchell looks like the toughest get, the other three being local and hence at least a bit more accessible. Falzon in particular has been a BC target for three years now (no surprise since he lives in Newton). His list of most interested schools indicates that he really does take academics seriously, so the most dangerous competition might actually be Harvard [grinding of teeth with annoyance]. Sharma seems to have attracted a lot of recruiting interest from programs not quite elite enough to have a major shot at Diamond Stone or Stephen Zimmerman.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm

If we get two of those four four I'd consider it a great job by the staff. On the philosophical level I would add that these are exactly the types of recruits we should be focusing on, so I'm encouraged by that at least. :screamyeagle

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:23 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:If we get two of those four four I'd consider it a great job by the staff. On the philosophical level I would add that these are exactly the types of recruits we should be focusing on, so I'm encouraged by that at least. :screamyeagle

This. I fully agree with you that getting two of those four would be an outstanding performance, but it's still the honeymoon period with this staff, so I'm allowing myself to dream. I also agree with you that the staff is targeting the right prospects (although it's worth noting that Falzon, Sharma, and Mann were inherited from the Donahue regime, all being local and hence blatantly obvious targets).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:48 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Offer out to 2015 VA Chris Clarke. Also Christian was on hand to watch BABC with Jeremy Miller and Terance Mann.

Chris Clarke (6'6", 190, Cape Henry Collegiate School, Virginia Beach, VA) is a long, athletic wing with a high-flying game whose stock has recently been rising into top-100 territory. Offers from Creighton, FL State, IA State, KS State, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Tennessee, VCU, VA Tech, and others - in other words, BC has jumped into the middle of what is already a hot recruiting contest. It's unusual to get involved relatively late with a prospect who already has so many serious pursuers, but one must reasonably assume that Christian & Co. know what they're doing. Clarke appears to have chosen a school that's serious about academics (founded 1924, PK-12, 900 students, 120 teachers), so maybe they're working that angle.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:42 am

but one must reasonably assume that Christian & Co. know what they're doing.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:40 pm

There appears to be a new guy on the 247 network covering BC hoops, Zack Spears (@zacklopedia on twitter). Has been tweeting all week in re: to the BC staff at the AAU event in Atlanta
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Clarke is on TV.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 pm

@RivalsNation: In Georgia, but happy to see our Massachusetts friends BC's Jim Christian and UMASS' Derek Kellogg every time we play.

Josh Sharma, Curtis Cobb, Makai Ashton-Langford players on the team with an offer from BC. Chris Baldwin also plays for them, has the new staff been recruiting this kid? I know hes been on campus multiple times when Donahue was here
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 am

Offer to 2015 Dwayne Bacon from Oak Hill.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Offer to 2015 Dwayne Bacon from Oak Hill.

An extremely ambitious offer - Bacon (6'6", 205) has recently moved into top-20 territory and already has a long list of high-major offers.

[REVISED] Also, BC has offered 2016 PF Lucas Siewert (6'11", 230), a Brazilian teammate of Idallo at LA Cathedral HS. His only other high-major offer so far is from Cal, but he seems to be getting favorable interest from the recruiting sites (**** from ESPN).
Last edited by RedBaron67 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Zagoria just tweeted that we have no chance at Donovan Mitchell.

Take that for what it's worth
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Zagoria just tweeted that we have no chance at Donovan Mitchell.

Would be no surprise if true - a lot of more prestigious programs are seriously pursuing Mitchell. My hopes have always been focused on the local blue-chip prospects.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby NJM89 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Christian and Murphy were at Jerome Robinson's game the other day. We are his only high major offer so far.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jerome-robinson
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Zagoria just tweeted that we have no chance at Donovan Mitchell.

Here is my read on Mitchell. I honestly think that alot of these big offers (Louisville for instance) mean very little. Hes from Greenwich, CT and has been attending fairly prestigious academic schools his whole life (went to Greenwich Country Day School through 7th or 8th grade which is not cheap). His family clearly values education.

Im not saying he goes to BC. He may have no interest. But the fact that everyone suggests Providence is the leader, means Boston College can absolutely be involved. I think for the overwhelming majority to suggest Cooley has the lead, and then Zagoria to say there is "no chance", is kind of counter intuitive. My take is if PC has a legit shot, then so does BC.

If Zagoria thinks that Mitchell is 100% going to go to a power (i.e. Louisville, Florida, Indiana, etc) then I can see where he is coming from with his comments, but from all accounts, if interest is high in Providence, then there is no reason that a new staff in the best basketball conference in the country with immediate playing time has "no chance". (fwiw, the 247 prediction thing has him 62% to Louisville, but of course those who follow football know how idiotic that thing is as its comprise of bloggers whose predictions are based on a players most recent visit/offer and almost 0 insight)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Here is my read on Mitchell. I honestly think that alot of these big offers (Louisville for instance) mean very little. Hes from Greenwich, CT and has been attending fairly prestigious academic schools his whole life (went to Greenwich Country Day School through 7th or 8th grade which is not cheap). His family clearly values education.

Im not saying he goes to BC. He may have no interest. But the fact that everyone suggests Providence is the leader, means Boston College can absolutely be involved. I think for the overwhelming majority to suggest Cooley has the lead, and then Zagoria to say there is "no chance", is kind of counter intuitive. My take is if PC has a legit shot, then so does BC.

If Zagoria thinks that Mitchell is 100% going to go to a power (i.e. Louisville, Florida, Indiana, etc) then I can see where he is coming from with his comments, but from all accounts, if interest is high in Providence, then there is no reason that a new staff in the best basketball conference in the country with immediate playing time has "no chance". (fwiw, the 247 prediction thing has him 62% to Louisville, but of course those who follow football know how idiotic that thing is as its comprise of bloggers whose predictions are based on a players most recent visit/offer and almost 0 insight)

The Providence predictions might, of course, precede the powerhouse programs getting involved with Mitchell, in which case Zagoria could be on the money; but all this is mere speculation until Mitchell announces a short list or gives some other indication of where he's leaning. I've said before that I'm not optimistic about Mitchell, given the wide-open options he has; but it's still a little early to write him off just on Zagoria's say-so.

UPDATE: Mitchell has announced an official visit to Louisville within the next few weeks; Zagoria's info is beginning to look more reliable.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Christian and Murphy were at Jerome Robinson's game the other day. We are his only high major offer so far.

Robinson is slowly emerging from the recruiting shadows; he's a floor general rather than a #1 scoring option (think Louis Hinnant, maybe?), could be a genuine sleeper. Definitely speaks to the PG issue for 2015.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Christian and Murphy were at Jerome Robinson's game the other day. We are his only high major offer so far.

Robinson is slowly emerging from the recruiting shadows; he's a floor general rather than a #1 scoring option (think Louis Hinnant, maybe?), could be a genuine sleeper. Definitely speaks to the PG issue for 2015.

we do need someone on the floor that's not afraid to get into a scuffle with the latest dook fas player. just a question - what is his opinion on puns?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Guy really went out on a fucking limb there. BOLDNESS!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

how many times do hoops weirdos need to see the same thing happen?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:how many times do hoops weirdos need to see the same thing happen?

all of them, obviously. you're not new here, mrs. beaker
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Given the murky nature of the recruiting process, "boldness" is more than half likely to plant your foot firmly in your mouth. There are moments when recruiting analysis makes tea leaf reading look like an exact science. What else would you expect trying to read the minds of 17-18-year-olds?
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Given the murky nature of the recruiting process, "boldness" is more than half likely to plant your foot firmly in your mouth. There are moments when recruiting analysis makes tea leaf reading look like an exact science. What else would you expect trying to read the minds of 17-18-year-olds?

I will go out on a limb and say that he's not out on a limb on this one. Saying a good basketball player will not pick BC is like taking Secretariat at the Belmont. He's got nothing to worry about.

Plus, I was being ironic.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Here are my thoughts on Mitchell. He was up until this summer not considered a top 100 recruit. Now he is considered by some to be top 50, and the number of available top 50 players is getting smaller all the time. Last summer he had an injury which prevented him from doing all of this AAU stuff so from a national perspective he wasn't a known quality. He had said before he blew up this summer that he wanted to make a decision by the fall. Since then he has said that he doesn't want to hold himself to that deadline because he can tell his stock is rising and he wants to see what happens with his recruitment. To me that line of thinking implies that he is seriously interested in the factory offers that have come recently (Indiana and Lousiville, with more likely to come as time goes on), from which we can infer that although BC (and Providence) have been after him for a longer time, this does not do much to make us a more likely choice. However, the fact that he has visited BC, along with his family, since Christian was hired does show that the interest is not one-sided, or at least that it wasn't a month and a hlaf ago. Personally, I doubt we get him but Christian & Co probably thought this was a recruiting battle with Providence, not Louisville and Indiana, so I don't blame them for trying.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum