recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby Iggle on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I thought there was only one scholarship for 2014?
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone that the basketball staff was hired by GDF (whose hiring and firing of coaches has been questioned in the past).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Welcome to BC, Matt!

Joe Jones offered so he must be good...
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:58 pm

I'd also like to point out that (as we've seen in football) recruiting can inject excitement and life into a program. While Skinner was criticized for failing to land top prospects (and as a result, failed to create a buzz around what was otherwise a very successful program), Don and his staff are markedly worse in recruiting.

Don failed to make the NCAAs in Year 1, bottomed-out in Year 2 and failed to make the NIT in Year 3. Each year his recruiting has fallen off (be that because of changes in his staff or otherwise). This is Year 4. I hope he wins 25+ games or is fired. Because right now, with his Spaz-like recruiting, he doing more long term harm to the program than if he did no recruiting at all until this Fall.

Let me also say that Graham, Waheed, Kampmann and whoever the 3rd assistant is suck outloud at their job. Who woulda thought that we'd long for the day Bonzie Colson was recruiting for us.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:23 pm

oint Pleasant Beach senior guard Matt Farrell announced his decision to attend Boston College today at a press conference. NJ Hoops spoke with him about his college pick.

NJ Hoops: Why did you decide on Boston College.

MF: I love the campus. The campus is only five minutes from the city yet it's secluded. It's a great school. I love Coach Donahue. I love the way they play. I have a chance to play right away. It's one of the top 20 schools in the country. They play in the ACC, one of the top conferences in the country. I always dreamed of playing at the highest level. I want to be challenged. And I will be challenged.

NJ Hoops: When did they start recruiting you?

MF: About two months ago.

NJ Hoops: When did they first see you play?

MF: I think coach said last year some time but saw me again in AAU.

NJ Hoops: What did they say your role would be?

MF: Coach told me I was good enough to play there. They have two strong starting guards and one may be going to the pros so there will be a chance for minutes.

NJ Hoops: What did you do on the visit?

MF: I spent time with the coaches. I toured the campus. I watched practice. They had an intrasquad scrimmage. Coach sat with me for a while during the scrimmage talking to me about how I would fit in.

NJ Hoops: How was the campus?

MF: It's great. It's a typical college feel to it. It's got a lot of green grass and its close to the city.

NJ Hoops: How do you like the players?

MF: Good. They all seemed like great guys.

NJ Hoops: Was the school's academic reputation a factor?

MF: It was a big factor. It's a great school. That made my mom in particular happy.

NJ Hoops: How big a factor was it to play in such a good league?

MF: it was a big factor. I want to be pushed.

NJ Hoops: How many other schools offered scholarships?

MF: I'm not sure, over 20

NJ Hoops: how many schools did you visit?

MF: Close to 15.

NJ Hoops: What school sent you your first recruiting letter and what school was the first to offer?

MF: New Hampshire on both.

NJ Hoops: There must have been some people along the way that helped you out in getting you the scholarship. Are there any people you want to thank?

MF: My mom and dad for all their support. My dad has been with me and teaching me the game since I was little. My mom has always been there for support. And my brother. He's always helped me out and been there. And one of his friends Greg. He was the only one who picked me for teams when we were little. My AAU coaches Robert Kruzinski and Dennis Gregory with the Raritan Roundballers. My high school Coach Nick Catania and his assistant Coach Mo. I came down here and they changed my life. Coach Catania has done so much for me. All my teammates. They pushed me everyday. The basketball team is great. I'd like to thank the whole basketball community in Point Beach. And all the college coaches who recruited me.

NJ Hoops: How does it feel to have the decision behind you?

MF: It feels great. It's a huge weight off my shoulders.

NJ Hoops: You have had a great career in high school, camps, and AAU, are there any highlights that stand out?

MF: Winning first sectional title for Coach Nick and then later winning the state title. The party in the locker room after the Bound Brook game was a highlight also.

NJ Hoops: What would you say are your strengths and what would you say you had to continue to improve on?

MF: I have to get bigger and stronger. I can improve my on the ball defense. I can always hoot better. My strength are I have a good basketball IQ. I can shoot it. I have a good pull up. I'm a good penetrator. I can run a team and play with a good pace.

NJ Hoops: Thanks and best wishes. It's good to see all the hard work pay off.

NJ Hoops provides blanket coverage of NJ basketball all year long for the past 17 years and is proud to continue to be the NJ nominating source for the McDonald's All American game

Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:35 pm

The Monmouth coach told Farrell when he was informed of his commitment that he was "no doubt" good enough to play in the ACC:
“He was being honest about it. If he was in my position, BC or Monmouth, he would’ve chosen BC as well,” Farrell said minutes after announcing for Boston College in front of friends and family at the Point Pleasant Elks Lodge late Monday afternoon.

“I became real close with him and (assistant) coach (Rick) Callahan. I love their coaching staff and everything they did for my family and it was unbelievable. He was the one who actually told me, probably first, that he believed I could play there at the ACC level. There was no doubt in his mind. That was huge coming from him and he did so much for my family.”
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Indefensible continues. Matt farrell to bc. I'll let eppy do the other offer list.

Monmouth huh? Sweet. Does this staff realize we play in the ACC? Once a Donahue gets fired I can't wait for another 5 year rebuild
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:55 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I'll assume this is a recruited walk on

Sure better be.

He was offered back in September what a waste of one scholly thats available

According to TOS it won't be the only schollie they use this recruiting cycle...

Thomas Welsh and Bryan Alberts are the new 2 top targets who they still want...

0% chance on Welsh and another underrated PG after we just got the worst recruit in the Don's stay here at that position, no thanks on Alberts
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:The Monmouth coach told Farrell when he was informed of his commitment that he was "no doubt" good enough to play in the ACC:
“He was being honest about it. If he was in my position, BC or Monmouth, he would’ve chosen BC as well,” Farrell said minutes after announcing for Boston College in front of friends and family at the Point Pleasant Elks Lodge late Monday afternoon.

“I became real close with him and (assistant) coach (Rick) Callahan. I love their coaching staff and everything they did for my family and it was unbelievable. He was the one who actually told me, probably first, that he believed I could play there at the ACC level. There was no doubt in his mind. That was huge coming from him and he did so much for my family.”

Please stop trying to justify this, it's pathetic
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Farrell is a preferred walkon. But this is not a good sign for this recruiting class.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Brablc on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Farrell is a preferred walkon. But this is not a good sign for this recruiting class.

Is this verified? I actually like this, if that's the case. Can always use good bench players without using up a scholarship.

Not sure why this specifically would be a bad sign for the recruiting class if we don't use a scholarship. Besides the fact that we've whiffed on our main targets such as Uhl and Shayok at this point. Want to elaborate?
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Primetime on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Farrell is a preferred walkon. But this is not a good sign for this recruiting class.

Is this verified? I actually like this, if that's the case. Can always use good bench players without using up a scholarship.

Not sure why this specifically would be a bad sign for the recruiting class if we don't use a scholarship. Besides the fact that we've whiffed on our main targets such as Uhl and Shayok at this point. Want to elaborate?

"Instead of staying home, the 6-foot-1 senior is the first Shore Conference boy to commit to a scholarship at an ACC school since former Red Bank Regional star Tahj Holden went to Maryland from 1999-2003."

http://www.app.com/article/20131022/NJS ... ck_check=1

Perhaps his scholarship is contingent on Hanlan leaving after this year? Which is still terrible, but would mitigate it somewhat since we could sign someone else...
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Steve Donahue will turn him into a solid ACC player.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Steve Donahue will turn him into a solid ACC player.

shut the fuck up.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 pm

needless to say, he does not increase the # of acc players on this team. what a disaster.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Brablc on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 pm

From that article: http://www.app.com/article/20131022/NJS ... e?gcheck=1

With five official visits at his disposal, Farrell visited only Dartmouth (Sept. 30) and Boston College (Oct. 11) before deciding his mind was made up. With only one open scholarship for the Class of 2014, Farrell will be Donahue’s lone commit for the year.

Don't like the sound of that.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:14 pm

MF2 is a scholarship player and the staff will offer another scholarship for 2014. The Mass Fab Five will arrive in 2015. :banana
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:

BC cannot comment on him so I think that is why there is the confusion. He is not promised a scholarship now. But will get a chance. We are recruiting other players for 2014. If BC ends up with three openings (Hanlan and one other transfer) Farrell will likely get a scholarship.

I think it is bad news because BC shouldn't even be wasting time with a kid like this. He could turn out to be a nice player, but if he is an insurance policy why not call him up the day before signing day? Or take a flyer on some other Ivy player right up at Signing Day.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

shut the fuck up.

that reaction makes no sense
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:

BC cannot comment on him so I think that is why there is the confusion. He is not promised a scholarship now. But will get a chance. We are recruiting other players for 2014. If BC ends up with three openings (Hanlan and one other transfer) Farrell will likely get a scholarship.

I think it is bad news because BC shouldn't even be wasting time with a kid like this. He could turn out to be a nice player, but if he is an insurance policy why not call him up the day before signing day? Or take a flyer on some other Ivy player right up at Signing Day.

If you are right about the first paragraph then I'm indifferent to the second. I'm not sure there is value to the rubin/cahill/donahue/farrell types on a full roster, but if they like this kid as a walk on why wait? Shit they could grab six more walk ons st signing day. How does it hurt?

My biggest issue right this minute is one again the optics are awful. Even if bc can't comment I'm confident 99.9percent of coaches would have had info out there that didn't make them look terrible.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I'd also like to point out that (as we've seen in football) recruiting can inject excitement and life into a program. While Skinner was criticized for failing to land top prospects (and as a result, failed to create a buzz around what was otherwise a very successful program), Don and his staff are markedly worse in recruiting.

Don failed to make the NCAAs in Year 1, bottomed-out in Year 2 and failed to make the NIT in Year 3. Each year his recruiting has fallen off (be that because of changes in his staff or otherwise). This is Year 4. I hope he wins 25+ games or is fired. Because right now, with his Spaz-like recruiting, he doing more long term harm to the program than if he did no recruiting at all until this Fall.

Let me also say that Graham, Waheed, Kampmann and whoever the 3rd assistant is suck outloud at their job. Who woulda thought that we'd long for the day Bonzie Colson was recruiting for us.

Rebuild wise, apples & oranges but this is terrible
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 am

Anyone want to try a coherent argument of why they should have waited if he's a walk on? I'm not internet warrioring, I just don't follow. Other than the optics as mentIoned above, which I don't discount.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

shut the fuck up.

If you are going to be obnoxious and insult, at least be humorous like AngryDick. Otherwise, don't post. Thanks.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

shut the fuck up.

If you are going to be obnoxious and insult, at least be humorous like AngryDick. Otherwise, don't post. Thanks.

Planning to police yourself on that standard?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

shut the fuck up.

He's trying very hard
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Anyone want to try a coherent argument of why they should have waited if he's a walk on? I'm not internet warrioring, I just don't follow. Other than the optics as mentIoned above, which I don't discount.

I don't know why you are so quick to believe ATL on this when, in the past, you have questioned the accuracy of info he, West and other supposed insiders have provided (see the entire ACC Media Deal Is Terrible Thread)? I mean... every media outlet is reporting that this is a scholarship... even EA's very own Eric Hoffses.

Personally, I believe ATL. But, I have no clue how a walk-on can sign a LOI for a scholarship he doesn't have.

Originally, when I heard the interest in Farrell, I thought it was a ploy to get a package deal with Uhl. And, in truth, thought it was too much to pay just to land Uhl. To land Farrell without Uhl is mind-blowing. If he is a walk-on, I don't care as much. But, it just highlights the fact that Don wasn't able to land ANYONE in a recruiting class that he as spent four effing years preparing for. Bottom line is that Don (or his staff) are terrible recruiters. Far worse than Skinner was even at the end of his time at the Heights.

What makes this all particularly alarming is that Don came to BC with a reputation as a good guy, who was an excellent coach (especially in game situations). From the very beginning, there was a HUGE question as to whether he could recruit at the ACC level. That was an immediate concern raised in the media, fanbase and insiders. Those concerns were allayed a bit when he assembled what was looking to be a promising staff highlighted by super-recruiter Joe Jones (who left an Ivy League head coaching job to take the gig). In the course of 14-months, Don lost his #1 (Joe Jones to BU) and his #2 (John Gallagher to U of Harftord). He meteorically raised Nate Graham from his #3 assistant to #1 and backfilled with Akbar Waheed (whose resume involved 1 year of coaching at Niagra) and Woody Kampmann (whose previous stops were Williams, Hobart and Cornell). Kampmann did such an underwhelming job that he was demoted this offseason to DBO in favor of Izzi Metz, our former-DBO (whose previous stops were Hobart and Cornell). Is it really at all a surprise that this staff can't compete for recruits? Maybe... MAYBE... if you are a guy like John Calipari, you can get away with an inexperienced staff with no connections. But, when your head coach has never recruited at the high major level (Springfield (Pa.) High School, Monsignor Bonner High School, Philadelphia University, UPenn and Cornell), you need to help him out by getting assistants who know what they are doing on the trail.

Steve Donohue is simply not the type of coach who can survive with the staff he assembled. They all seem like nice guys. And, Don has a ton of qualities that I'd want to see in any BC coach, but the bottom line is that we play in the best, most competitive basketball conference in the country and we need a certain level of talent to be competitive. I do not believe the coaching staff as a currently constituted will ever be able to so deliver.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

shut the fuck up.

Planning to police yourself on that standard?

I don't recall being overly obnoxious and I only post half as much as commavegarage.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am

Bannable offenses:

continued use of the word "optics" when speaking of anything other than the Hubble telescope.

Otherwise, carry on with your weirdo self, hoops weirdos.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

At Don's introductory press conference, he was asked point blank whether he could recruit at the ACC level.

Here was Andy Katz's article on the hire (a lot of recruiting talk and apparently he was catfished by campion): http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/s ... id=5098453

From Boston Herald: "Donahue is well-regarded in coaching and media circles and has the personality to connect with the fan base, which is one of the qualities DeFilippo has said he is seeking in a coach. If there is one question concerning Donahue, it is his ability to recruit in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Donahue’s entire 20-year Division 1 coaching experience is in the Ivy League, as he was an assistant at Penn from 1990-2000."
http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ss ... _hire.html

All Don has done in the past year and a half is confirm the validity of the concerns raised at his hire and the subsequent rumors that surfaced a year later regarding him "underestimating" the importance of recruiting.
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Does anyone know what happened with the Howard kid?

Taylor apparently already told us thanks but no thanks. Bramanti and the like is just going to continue the "underestimate recruiting" murmurs.

What position is Tebbutt? 2 or 3?

I had read somewhere that Howard was placed in that prep-school by University of Washington. I sincerely doubt he's coming here.

Bramanti would be a preferred walk-on. I'd be astonished if he received an offer.

Tebbutt would be a forward, but best of luck wrestling him away from Kansas or UCLA.

Off topic question, is it worth the $9.99 a month to subscribe to EA? I'd like the basketball message board recruiting information, but can't really decide if it's worth it. Opinions?

EA is stealing people's money. Their info comes from posters... which then gets posted over here 2 minutes later. But, hawaiirob will tell you that the EA BB board has engaged/knowledgeable posters.

To come full circle on the Don underestimating the importance of recruiting... I think the thing that has the most validity is the manner in which he has selected his staff. In particular, back-filling when we lost Jones was a very questionable move. At the end of the day, if you want to recruit at the ACC level, you should have at least one assistant that has previously shown that ability (and not an entire staff learning on the job).

eagle9903 {l Wrote}: As to the BCWOFW (BCwest AKA the poster HJS likes to stand behind when he wants to be taken seriously) rumor of Don underestimating the importance of recruiting will have considerable merit. It's as wrongly worded now as it was when made.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:42 am

got the exact response i wanted. thanks guys.

HE'LL TURN INTO AN ACC PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!! :party
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum