recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby apbc12 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 pm

GUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:GUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post more.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The past two seasons, everyone that has seen this program has known that they were going to be one more star away from being a serious ACC contender over the next two seasons. Reporters are reporting that the team looks good, coaches are seeing these guys in practice, and the fans know that experienced teams do very well in college hoop. It should not have been a tough sell to one of the local guys (Vonleh is the biggest example) that they would be the player that could step right in and make BC one of the 2-3 favorites to win the ACC. Instead, they end up with Hicks, Owens and Magarity (decent players with potential but no instant impact guys) and nothing in this upcoming class as of yet.

Post less.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:To what extent do you think the unbalance of our classes affects the ability to close? If I were Uhl -- or anyone else -- I would look at the roster and say, "Where would my playing time come from Freshman year with everyone returning in 2014?" It will take a confidcent, patient and extremely good player to break into the current lineup. And let's be honest, Uhl is probably not such a sure thing that he could predict -- or be told -- that he would have 15-20 minutes a game right out of the gate. Guys understandably want to play immediately. And they want to be stars. It's hard to look at our roster -- and the Don's style of play -- and see the star opportunity (although Olivier certainly demonstrates that it can be done).

The question is, how does Donahue achieve re-balance the mess he inherited? Maybe with a couple of transfers in 2014 that can be ready to play in 2015 so he doesn't have another huge incoming class that creates a new 4-year cycle? It's not an easy situation. But I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Without question, a solid season this year with a trip to the tourney and continued success and accolades for Olivier and Ryan (and for Reggie for that matter!) will help. Great players will see this as a viable place to advance their careers.

Wouldn't hurt if Conte Forum developed a pulse..........watching the students leave the FSU and Army games in the 2nd half doesn't give me much hope that we've turned the corner on antipathy........

Seriously???

First... Don had 4 years to adjust the imbalance of his classes. He didn't address and actually made it worse. I personally believe that Don LIKES the imbalanced class. He did it at Cornell and he did it at BC. He takes a big class... suffers with them... and then hopes to pop in Year 4. In other words... blaming Skinner is like Barry still mentioning W.

Second... an athletic big has PLENTY of PT available. Right now, we are scheduling Drag and Owens to get a ton of run. Uhl or whoever has NEVER heard of those guys. So, they could easily believe they would be immediate starters.

Third... there is always excuses as to why you will lose a recruit (location, conference, PT, history, coach, success, bribery, AAU sleeze, connections). It is the effing job of the assistants (essentially their ONLY job) to convince a kid to overlook those problems of your school and to highlight those problems of another. Don has surrounded himself with assistants who have no experience recruiting at the high major level... and the results of the current 0-player recruiting class are self-evident.

Off yourself.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:To what extent do you think the unbalance of our classes affects the ability to close? If I were Uhl -- or anyone else -- I would look at the roster and say, "Where would my playing time come from Freshman year with everyone returning in 2014?" It will take a confidcent, patient and extremely good player to break into the current lineup. And let's be honest, Uhl is probably not such a sure thing that he could predict -- or be told -- that he would have 15-20 minutes a game right out of the gate. Guys understandably want to play immediately. And they want to be stars. It's hard to look at our roster -- and the Don's style of play -- and see the star opportunity (although Olivier certainly demonstrates that it can be done).

The question is, how does Donahue achieve re-balance the mess he inherited? Maybe with a couple of transfers in 2014 that can be ready to play in 2015 so he doesn't have another huge incoming class that creates a new 4-year cycle? It's not an easy situation. But I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Without question, a solid season this year with a trip to the tourney and continued success and accolades for Olivier and Ryan (and for Reggie for that matter!) will help. Great players will see this as a viable place to advance their careers.

Wouldn't hurt if Conte Forum developed a pulse..........watching the students leave the FSU and Army games in the 2nd half doesn't give me much hope that we've turned the corner on antipathy........

Seriously???

First... Don had 4 years to adjust the imbalance of his classes. He didn't address and actually made it worse. I personally believe that Don LIKES the imbalanced class. He did it at Cornell and he did it at BC. He takes a big class... suffers with them... and then hopes to pop in Year 4. In other words... blaming Skinner is like Barry still mentioning W.

Second... an athletic big has PLENTY of PT available. Right now, we are scheduling Drag and Owens to get a ton of run. Uhl or whoever has NEVER heard of those guys. So, they could easily believe they would be immediate starters.

Third... there is always excuses as to why you will lose a recruit (location, conference, PT, history, coach, success, bribery, AAU sleeze, connections). It is the effing job of the assistants (essentially their ONLY job) to convince a kid to overlook those problems of your school and to highlight those problems of another. Don has surrounded himself with assistants who have no experience recruiting at the high major level... and the results of the current 0-player recruiting class are self-evident.

Off yourself.

Why would Uhl go to Iowa knowing that they have four returning forwards coming back during his frosh year? The Cap got beat by McCaffery, plain and simple. The kid is not going to be a major contributor his frosh year. He's 6-8 180lbs and is going to get squashed in the Big 10.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously???

Off yourself.

Why would Uhl go to Iowa knowing that they have four returning forwards coming back during his frosh year? The Cap got beat by McCaffery, plain and simple. The kid is not going to be a major contributor his frosh year. He's 6-8 180lbs and is going to get squashed in the Big 10.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 am

Uhl went to Iowa because 9903 hasn't been around here to prevent people from criticizing Don. His attention has been diverted to internet warrioring on EA now that posters even there have taken on a negative tone. The interwebz is very serious business. Recruits read these boards!
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Uhl went to Iowa because 9903 hasn't been around here to prevent people from criticizing Don. His attention has been diverted to internet warrioring on EA now that posters even there have taken on a negative tone. The interwebz is very serious business. Recruits read these boards!

Yes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously???

Off yourself.

This post does not seem responsive to the suggestion that hjs should be less careful in his next gene defillipo fueled autoerotic asphyxiation session.

I've said it on ea (and I'm sure has been pm'd to mojs since he keeps track of such things - unseriously), this is a clear failure by the staff.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:52 am

Matt Cimino has slipped out of the EO conversation -- purportedly because he hasn't developed (which is probably bunk) and he's dropped on some of the boards. Yet by all accounts Cimino was really high on BC -- and a good shooting, fairly mobile 6'10 guy from Maine fits the system well.

If Matt ended up being the 2014 commit how would people feel? Too much of a same thing given that we have McGarity? Or would two shooting big-men combined with a healthy Hicks, an athletic Owens, and two 2015 commits to be named later create something to be excited about following the exit of the existing core?
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Matt Cimino has slipped out of the EO conversation -- purportedly because he hasn't developed (which is probably bunk) and he's dropped on some of the boards. Yet by all accounts Cimino was really high on BC -- and a good shooting, fairly mobile 6'10 guy from Maine fits the system well.

If Matt ended up being the 2014 commit how would people feel? Too much of a same thing given that we have McGarity? Or would two shooting big-men combined with a healthy Hicks, an athletic Owens, and two 2015 commits to be named later create something to be excited about following the exit of the existing core?

Unless we're just giving up on the notion of blocking shots and rebounding, I dont see where Cimino makes sense.

Johnson makes even less sense
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Matt Cimino has slipped out of the EO conversation -- purportedly because he hasn't developed (which is probably bunk) and he's dropped on some of the boards. Yet by all accounts Cimino was really high on BC -- and a good shooting, fairly mobile 6'10 guy from Maine fits the system well.

Unless we're just giving up on the notion of blocking shots and rebounding, I dont see where Cimino makes sense.

Johnson makes even less sense

You don't think two 6'10 guys can be developed to be serviceable as rebounders and shot blockers? Particularly Magarity who is purported to be a very good shot blocker already. Remember, Clifford was a pole when he showed up and was outmuscled throughout his freshman year. Not the case anymore. If you knew you had Magarity and Cimino, you have them hit the weights and skill them up. I'd rather have big guys with offensive skills who need to develop defensively than the other way around. I personally would be psyched to get Cimino......
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:03 pm

It's not bunk. BC was not the only school to drop out for him. All 3 of the teams that offered him did.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

It's not bunk. BC was not the only school to drop out for him. All 3 of the teams that offered him did.

They should pocket the offers out and see how these kids do during the season. Because, there is nothing in Justin Johnson's game that I think is so good that we couldn't find it in the Spring. I will also point out that we should be coming off a Tourney birth. Or, alternatively, we should at least have a new staff who knows how to recruit. Giving a mid-major, unathletic 3 one of our 1 or 2 ships this Fall is simply stupid and unacceptable.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

They should pocket the offers out and see how these kids do during the season. Because, there is nothing in Justin Johnson's game that I think is so good that we couldn't find it in the Spring. I will also point out that we should be coming off a Tourney birth. Or, alternatively, we should at least have a new staff who knows how to recruit. Giving a mid-major, unathletic 3 one of our 1 or 2 ships this Fall is simply stupid and unacceptable.

Yep. He's not playing the 4 at 6'6 and he's way too slow for the 3.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 pm

If Johnson decides he agrees with all of you and commits to Western Kentucky, do you think BC will go back to Cimino or hunker down and wait for spring?
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:If Johnson decides he agrees with all of you and commits to Western Kentucky...

Has there ever been an ACC school projected to make the Tourney for which the above phrase could be written about??? Seriously.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:44 am

Interesting read from Jeff Goodman on the the state of recruiting and particularly the challenge of early recruits in the era of social media....

The trouble with early commitments
By Jeff Goodman

Trey Lyles committed to Indiana as a freshman, but he opened up his recruitment in 2012.
James Blackmon Jr. began Indiana’s resurgence when he gave Tom Crean and the Hoosiers a verbal commitment on Sept. 7, 2010.

Blackmon had yet to play his first high school game, but Crean & Co. took a chance, desperately needing in-state recruiting momentum and picking up a player who would wind up being ranked by just about everyone in the Top 50.

Nineteen days later, Indiana received another pledge, this time from a skilled power forward originally from Canada by the name of Trey Lyles.

Hoosier Nation rejoiced. Boy, did they ever. Two young, highly regarded players who would help turn the fortunes of a storied program that had won just 16 games over Crean’s first two seasons.

Cody Zeller would commit to the Hoosiers two months later, and Indiana was back. Well, not quite -- but Blackmon and Lyles helped give the program credibility, and Zeller once again made it cool for an elite prospect to go to IU.

Zeller is gone, leaving after a two-season career that included consecutive Sweet 16 appearances. Crean has brought in a terrific freshman class this season that includes Noah Vonleh and Troy Williams, and Blackmon and Lyles were supposed to finally arrive in Bloomington a year from now to not only sustain the recent success but also put the Hoosiers in prime position to win their sixth national title.

There’s only one problem. These guys didn’t stick with their commitments. Lyles did exactly what Crean and his staff had anticipated, becoming one of the most skilled power forwards in the nation. He decommitted on Aug. 8, 2012 amid growing speculation that he'd ultimately land at Kentucky. Lyles recently trimmed his list to UK and Louisville.

James Blackmon Jr. committed to Indiana before even playing a high school game.
Blackmon reopened his recruitment Aug. 8, nearly three years after committing to Indiana as a 14-year-old freshman. He’s also considering Kentucky, along with Michigan, Michigan State and Indiana.

Just like that, Crean went from having a stellar recruiting class -- one that would have competed for No. 1 in the nation -- to a class that had nothing.

Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. Vine. I’m not saying that social media was the reason why Lyles and Blackmon didn’t stick with their initial plan to attend Indiana, but it’s altered the landscape of recruiting.

“Without question, social media has changed recruiting,” Crean said. “Nothing stops someone from tweeting something to these kids. You’ve got to be unbelievably mature at any age to deal with Twitter and Facebook.”

For many of these kids nowadays, it’s about the attention. Frankly, they can’t get enough of it. It’s become a daily race to see how many Twitter followers they can pick up, and once they commit to a particular school, it dwindles quickly. They watch their summer teammates get bombarded by programs, see big-name coaches in the stands for others, and often wonder why they committed so early.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino has a new philosophy.

“We’d rather not take kids early anymore,” Pitino said.

Some recruits make the mistake of deciding without enough information. Others are pressured into making a commitment. It’s certainly not a novel concept, as guys like Taylor King (UCLA) and Ryan Boatright (USC) made pledges before they were in high school -- and wound up playing elsewhere.

Pitino’s frustration comes from the fact that he’d put together one of the top recruiting classes in the country. He went into the all-important July period this past summer with three Top 50 players in hand: Guards Quentin Snider and JaQuan Lyle and wing Shaqquan Aaron.

Now only Aaron remains. Snider, the prize of the class, had pledged back on Aug. 4, 2011. He reopened his recruitment earlier this year, at the end of July, and committed to Illinois two weeks later. Lyle was on board for just a couple months, committing on June 26 and decommitting on Sept. 14.

“Once a kid commits, the fan base leaves him and goes on to the next kid,” Pitino said.

Pitino also said that while he doesn’t think it's become worse in terms of coaches targeting committed kids, other coaches have an easier time battling just one school once a recruit has committed.

“Al Maguire used to say that he’d wait until a young man verbally committed, because then he only had to fight one school,” Pitino said. “I don’t think it’s the coach, though. It’s the antennas who mess with them.”

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff received a commitment from D.J. Russell back in July. By all accounts, the 6-foot-6 Arlington Country Day freshman is extremely talented and would be a terrific addition in 2017 to the Hurricanes.

But Russell still has three years to deal with the tweets, Facebook messages and pawns. If those who preceded him are any indication, the odds aren’t exactly in favor of Russell playing for the Hurricanes.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 am

See... Don is way ahead for the curve. By not getting kids to verbally commit, we don't have to worry about anyone de-committing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Justin Johnson to WKU. Johnson cites the reason was how long WKU was on him.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Donahue is a bad recruiter.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Quote from Johnson:
"It actually came down to Boston College and Western," Johnson said. "I was leaning towards Boston College at the end there, I really enjoyed my visit.

"But then I realized from a family standpoint, how many times would my family get to see me play there, vs. Western. They're both good basketball schools, but I'm a big family guy, and they'll get to see me play a lot more here."
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm

not mad in the least bit about this recruiting "loss"
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:not mad in the least bit about this recruiting "loss"

I'm not mad about the player but it speaks volume about our recruiting. Regardless of his talent, we went after him and lost. Although, to be fair, how can we be expected to recruit against a powerhouse like (Western) Kentucky?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:55 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

I'm not mad about the player but it speaks volume about our recruiting. Regardless of his talent, we went after him and lost. Although, to be fair, how can we be expected to recruit against a powerhouse like (Western) Kentucky?

Pretty much.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Pretty much.

so in conclusion, we lost out on this recruit because swofford is a bad negotiator and since our games are only offered on the computer his family could not watch. as a result, the kid chose to stay in kentucky (where his shirts are)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Pretty much.

so in conclusion, we lost out on this recruit because swofford is a bad negotiator and since our games are only offered on the computer his family could not watch. as a result, the kid chose to stay in kentucky (where his shirts are)

And joe jones!!1! But seriously(because that's what i do), at absolute best donahue has a recruiting image problem.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Justin Johnson to WKU. Johnson cites the reason was how long WKU was on him.

Fucking Skinner!!!!!!! :oldman
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Justin Johnson to WKU. Johnson cites the reason was how long WKU was on him.

Fucking Skinner!!!!!!! :oldman

that's your primary function. don't be farming those efforts out
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am

As pathetic as recruiting has been this year for Don and his bumbling low-major staff and as embarrassing it is to lose out to directional-Kentucky... this was a disaster averted. Johnson had no business having interest from an ACC school. He was too short to defend the 4 and way too slow to defend the 3. Why we offered him speaks more to Don's (or his crap staff's) inability to sell Boston College and less to Johnson's skillz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum