recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:ExpressionsEYBL‏@XEliteBasketbal·58 mins
2015 Aaron Falzon will take an unofficial visit to Boston College today @AaRonTheFirst35

General consensus on this one seems to be that it's down to us, Harvard, and Northwestern. Entirely possible he makes his visits in the next couple weeks and shortly thereafter makes his choice.

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle

Those are the three schools Falzon himself is talking about, so that looks like his final list. This could be a defining moment for Christian & Co.; if they can't close the deal on a kid who lives 10 minutes' drive from the BC campus, whom BC has pursued steadily for two years, and whose alternatives are an Ivy league school and a classic conference doormat that's never gotten an NCAA bid, their recruiting credibility (which is what they're supposed to be about) will take a BIG hit from which it may not be easy to recover, because Falzon is about as perfect a specimen of the kind of kid they're being paid to get as you can find. ATLeagle was probably right about keeping the Terrell situation in perspective, but losing Falzon WOULD be legitimate cause for going ballistic. If they can't get him, who can they get?

you're right - because what kid that's not very likely to play in the pros should consider a harvard education? especially when it makes his trip from home 20 minutes instead of 10.

basketbawh
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
2015 Aaron Falzon will take an unofficial visit to Boston College today @AaRonTheFirst35

General consensus on this one seems to be that it's down to us, Harvard, and Northwestern. Entirely possible he makes his visits in the next couple weeks and shortly thereafter makes his choice.

Those are the three schools Falzon himself is talking about, so that looks like his final list. This could be a defining moment for Christian & Co.; if they can't close the deal on a kid who lives 10 minutes' drive from the BC campus, whom BC has pursued steadily for two years, and whose alternatives are an Ivy league school and a classic conference doormat that's never gotten an NCAA bid, their recruiting credibility (which is what they're supposed to be about) will take a BIG hit from which it may not be easy to recover, because Falzon is about as perfect a specimen of the kind of kid they're being paid to get as you can find. ATLeagle was probably right about keeping the Terrell situation in perspective, but losing Falzon WOULD be legitimate cause for going ballistic. If they can't get him, who can they get?

you're right - because what kid that's not very likely to play in the pros should consider a harvard education? especially when it makes his trip from home 20 minutes instead of 10.

basketbawh

Harvard's overrated.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

basketbawh

Harvard's overrated.

not for employers

OR basketball as we've seen first hand over the last 5 years
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

basketbawh

Harvard's overrated.

not for employers

Irony.

That said, there's some truth in it too.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

basketbawh

Harvard's overrated.

not for employers

This. He is stupid if he doesn't pick Harvard all but securing a high 5, low 6 figure salary out of school.

Not to mention their atmosphere during games is much better than ours and they will probably be in the big dance sometime within the next 4 years...... more than you can say about us.

We shouldn't be having this conversation but we all know who we can thank for the current mess that is our program.

you really hold grudges there Spicoli.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm

salaries are overrated
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:salaries are overrated

Seriously, you don't need to earn a whole lot to live like a king at the dirt mall.

I don't really get what the dirt mall is, but I think low cost of living is a fair guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:44 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Seriously, you don't need to earn a whole lot to live like a king at the dirt mall.

I don't really get what the dirt mall is, but I think low cost of living is a fair guess.

it's a flea market. i don't know much about them either but feel like huang could speak on it for days since most of florida is a flea market
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:03 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

it's a flea market. i don't know much about them either but feel like huang could speak on it for days since most of florida is a flea market

I thought your kiosk was in one?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:41 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Volume baby. Volume.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:43 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I thought your kiosk was in one?

i'm in a real mall. with walls. and a brookstone.

a dirtmall/flea market looks more like this

ain't nobody at the dirt mall paying taxes.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 pm

A dirtmall looks like the kind of market where you can park your house and sell your wares right outside your front door.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:56 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:A dirtmall looks like the kind of market where you can park your house and sell your wares right outside your front door.

a no-wall-mart of sorts. if i'm from the wal-marty parts of the country, huang's in the no-wall-martie part
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Mann's final 6!

Terance @TeranceMann
Follow
I've decided to cut my list down to 6 schools
•Arizona State
•Boston College
•Florida State
•Indiana
•Marquette
•URI

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle

edit: if anything scares me here it's the high variance in academic quality of the schools
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Mann's final 6!

Terance @TeranceMann
Follow
I've decided to cut my list down to 6 schools
•Arizona State
•Boston College
•Florida State
•Indiana
•Marquette
•URI

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle

edit: if anything scares me here it's the high variance in academic quality of the schools

Mitchell made top 5 (no order) ...

Nova
BC
Prov
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby joesim on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:31 pm

People are really starting to see BC as legit contenders for these players

HoopDreamsMag.com ‏@HoopDreamsmag 15m
Boston College has made the final list for Terrance Mann, Donovan Mitchell, Aaron Falzon and Josh Sharma BC staff are working.

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein 19m
Boston College only common denominator on final lists for Donovan Mitchell & Terance Mann - 2 best available guards in New England

Sherwyn Cooper ‏@BallasTV 23m
I like that BC is in the final list for Terrance Mann and Donovan Mitchell doing a great job I've seen those guys everywhere.

Zack Spears ‏@Zacklopedia 26m
Good night for Boston College Basketball. Has made Terance Mann & Donovan Mitchell's list of schools. Coach Christian &Co getting after it.

EDIT:

Greg ‏@eagle98alum 31m
@Zacklopedia Would love to see a Falzon, Mann and Mitchell lineup in 2015

Zack Spears ‏@Zacklopedia 49s
@eagle98alum how would you feel about Falzon, Mann, Mitchell and Sharma? Real possibility right now.
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby fs33 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Take this FWIW: Spoke with a friend last week that coaches in the NEPSAC. He told me that BC is all-in on Mitchell. They are selling immediate playing time and him being the "guy" that turns BC around. Said he doesn't know Mitchell well but has heard he is the type of kid that this message resonates with. Said he thinks that BC will be in it until the very end and that he thinks they have a real chance.

My friend also said Spinelli is a smooth talker and is one of the most well-connected college assistants going back to his New England prep coaching days in the 90's. He knows everyone and is talking to everyone. He also said he doesn't know Preston Murphy personally but that he is very well-respected.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 pm

2 days after cutting his list to 10, Mitchell cuts his list to 5?

Shows you how volatile the recruiting process is.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:56 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:2 days after cutting his list to 10, Mitchell cuts his list to 5?

Shows you how volatile the recruiting process is.

Originally was going to push back his Sept announcement but this could accelerate things. Having already taken visits to BC PC and FSU, and with nova and Ville coming up shortly, he'll have seen everyone in top 5
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 am

Good for the staff, very nice work.

These assistants are so much better than the clowns Donahue brought
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:50 am

I think it's premature to speak of "very good work" when we still lack results, which demonstrate whether "better" has yet risen to "acceptable" (or, just conceivably, beyond). BC's four major recruiting targets (Falzon, Mann, Mitchell, and Sharma) are now all plausibly within reach, so we can rate Christian & Co.'s final outcome on a zero-to-four scale. It will be very interesting to see what happens.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I think it's premature to speak of "very good work" when we still lack results, which demonstrate whether "better" has yet risen to "acceptable" (or, just conceivably, beyond). BC's four major recruiting targets (Falzon, Mann, Mitchell, and Sharma) are now all plausibly within reach, so we can rate Christian & Co.'s final outcome on a zero-to-four scale. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

No. This is very good work.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 am

Will be interesting to see what happens with Jeremy Miller. Jon Rothstein just tweeted that this class will be large (5-6 people) so I wonder if he will still be in play or if there was more to his decommitment (ie the staff decided to move on).

As for JC's success, I don't think it should be based on a 1-4 scale on these 4 guys. A week ago nobody thought Mitchell was even a 1% chance and Sharma was a strong Wisconsin lean for a long time. I think the fact that BC is in a strong position with those 2 guys now is a big deal. I got the impression that Mann/Falzon were always strong possibilities, but this group is impressive considering the disaster that was last season.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby sweetriverbaines on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am

I don't see W. Kentucky & Akron in the mix with any of these players. At least we're hanging with traditional college hoop teams that play in the tourney on a consistent basis. It certainly feels like a long shot, but it's a step in the right direction especially since these are local kids.
Hopefully it works out...
sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 am

I can see that sentiment is against me here, and I have to admit that the performance of the present staff is enormously superior to that of their predecessors, especially since the latter left the BC program in such terrible condition. What makes me obsess about results is that sports recruiting is a classic "close but no cigar" activity; recruiting performance only translates into performance on the court if you actually get the player - there are no runner-up prizes. BC's increased credibility with prospects might yield benefits in the future (or it might not), but the point of the whole enterprise is won-lost performance during the season, and that means getting talented players to put on the court. To be fair to the present staff, I'm probably so impatient because they've given me reason for hope, and I'm very tired of repeated disappointment.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby sweetriverbaines on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:44 pm

With the ACC tourney moving to Brooklyn it would nice to have a team that would be worth traveling to support. Beating Syracuse in Brooklyn with a bunch of New England recruits would be huge and hilarious for the program. I'd love to see it in person...
sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I think it's premature to speak of "very good work" when we still lack results, which demonstrate whether "better" has yet risen to "acceptable" (or, just conceivably, beyond). BC's four major recruiting targets (Falzon, Mann, Mitchell, and Sharma) are now all plausibly within reach, so we can rate Christian & Co.'s final outcome on a zero-to-four scale. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

No. This is very good work.

I think our resident aviator's point is that this good work won't be worth shit it we don't close any of these guys.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby sweetriverbaines on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Agreed...It's tough to get excited since this usually plays out the wrong way. (Insert Debbie Downer) There's got to be 5 or 6 recruits out there in this class that'll help turn things around...Put a few decent classes together and BC is ready to go in my opinion.
sweetriverbaines
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:23 pm

sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:...Put a few decent classes together and BC is ready to go in my opinion.

so wait - are you saying that all bc has to do is put together 3 decent recruiting classes and they will have a good team.

we need to hide this sort of spy shit away from prying eyes or some of our rivals will steal our approach right out from under us. too late
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm

sweetriverbaines {l Wrote}:Agreed...It's tough to get excited since this usually plays out the wrong way. (Insert Debbie Downer) There's got to be 5 or 6 recruits out there in this class that'll help turn things around...Put a few decent classes together and BC is ready to go in my opinion.

It takes even less than that. You can flip results in basketball very quickly with some good recruits
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum