recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I don't get the hate towards Christian. Hate Bates for the hire, but Christian is just a guy that interviewed for a job at a higher level and (somehow) got it.

i view it as hating christian for being paid a sum that he is not earning.

Sure, but if someone offers me more than I'm worth, I'm still going to take it. It's the fault of whoever is signing the checks/hired me.

and we, as the investors that donate/contribute the money that pays his salary, are allowed to express discontent with the overpayment/underperformance currently in progress. that discontent can most assuredly be split among the underperformer himself (mac christian) and the board that hired him (see any post roonie's ever made).

are you proposing that we, the investor, should just use the "aww shucks, we didn't want that money anyway" approach?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
Boston College 8 {l Wrote}:
jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:Are you guys really this ignorant? How can you expect a coach who has been recruiting a guy for a few months to beat out schools who have been on him for years?

this.

agreed.

This is a ridiculous persecution of a guy who has been here for 6 months. And the worst part about it is that for the next two years every time we lose a game or lose out on a recruit it's gonna be "I told you so" but they won't say jack if we win.

I might agree with you guys if there was a reason to give a shit about BC hoop.

For the record, Militant's attempt to compare JC to Daz is weak. By this point in Daz's cycle he had already landed Outlow and Strachan.

There is less competition for recruits in football. 120 Div 1 football programs (about 60 in pwer 5) vs. over 300 in Div 1 basketball. Also, while fan support for BC football isn't great, basketball is a complete disaster. It is the third sport on campus. BC football is simply an easier sell than BC basketball. That being said, Christian has already landed Diallo, Turner (offers from Stanford, Iowa St. and Arizona St.) and Milon (offers from FSU and Standford).

BC football is an easier sell because its simply a better program. There's 1/3 less teams in football, but there are 8 times the roster spots to fill. 330 D1 hoop programs x 3 annual recruits is 990 scholarship athletes. 120 D1 football programs x 21 annual players is 2520 scholarship athletes.

And there are a lot more kids playing football in high school due to the number of positions that need to be filled in the sport of football.

To look at this competition another way, there are only 120 Div 1 starting QB spots. There are over 300 Div 1 starting point guard spots.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:07 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I don't get the hate towards Christian. Hate Bates for the hire, but Christian is just a guy that interviewed for a job at a higher level and (somehow) got it.

Sure, but if someone offers me more than I'm worth, I'm still going to take it. It's the fault of whoever is signing the checks/hired me.

and we, as the investors that donate/contribute the money that pays his salary, are allowed to express discontent with the overpayment/underperformance currently in progress. that discontent can most assuredly be split among the underperformer himself (mac christian) and the board that hired him (see any post roonie's ever made).

are you proposing that we, the investor, should just use the "aww shucks, we didn't want that money anyway" approach?

I'm proposing that we direct our anger towards the guy that hired him, and the guy that signs his paychecks. I don't really mind my money going to him, so much as I mind it being spent by a guy who decided it would be a good idea to hire Mac Christian.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:
jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:Are you guys really this ignorant? How can you expect a coach who has been recruiting a guy for a few months to beat out schools who have been on him for years?

this.

agreed.

This is a ridiculous persecution of a guy who has been here for 6 months. And the worst part about it is that for the next two years every time we lose a game or lose out on a recruit it's gonna be "I told you so" but they won't say jack if we win.

For the record, Militant's attempt to compare JC to Daz is weak. By this point in Daz's cycle he had already landed Outlow and Strachan.

There is less competition for recruits in football. 120 Div 1 football programs (about 60 in pwer 5) vs. over 300 in Div 1 basketball. Also, while fan support for BC football isn't great, basketball is a complete disaster. It is the third sport on campus. BC football is simply an easier sell than BC basketball. That being said, Christian has already landed Diallo, Turner (offers from Stanford, Iowa St. and Arizona St.) and Milon (offers from FSU and Standford).

BC football is an easier sell because its simply a better program. There's 1/3 less teams in football, but there are 8 times the roster spots to fill. 330 D1 hoop programs x 3 annual recruits is 990 scholarship athletes. 120 D1 football programs x 21 annual players is 2520 scholarship athletes.

And there are a lot more kids playing football in high school due to the number of positions that need to be filled in the sport of football.

To look at this competition another way, there are only 120 Div 1 starting QB spots. There are over 300 Div 1 starting point guard spots.

There are only 5 positions to recruit in hoop. It's much easier to get better faster in hoop, it is just harder to recover if you mess up,
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

I'm proposing that we direct our anger towards the guy that hired him, and the guy that signs his paychecks. I don't really mind my money going to him, so much as I mind it being spent by a guy who decided it would be a good idea to hire Mac Christian.

so you had no anger towards spaz or donahue? you viewed both of those guys as free of guilt for their incredible sucking and blamed their neverending sucking on leahy?

if so, that's your thing and i respect it... but i don't agree with it. christian's inevitable sucking earns him my ire just as spaz and donahue did for their sucking
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:

this.

agreed.

There are only 5 positions to recruit in hoop. It's much easier to get better faster in hoop, it is just harder to recover if you mess up,

Agree to disagree.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:33 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
lobstalova {l Wrote}:

this.

agreed.

Agree to disagree.

In football, Florida State and Alabama and Texas A&M take 25-30 kids every year that BC wishes they could get. In basketball, UNC, Duke, Cuse, take 2-4. I understand that there are more positions (although even this is a stretch - there are basically OL, QB, WR, TE/DE, LB, DB, DT and even some of those overlap) but the sheer volume of top kids that are off the table in football before BC generally gets to pick is huge, despite less programs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:34 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Not to mention it only takes 2 really good players to win in basketball where as it takes a lot more in football

stop agreeing with me
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

so you had no anger towards spaz or donahue? you viewed both of those guys as free of guilt for their incredible sucking and blamed their neverending sucking on leahy?

if so, that's your thing and i respect it... but i don't agree with it. christian's inevitable sucking earns him my ire just as spaz and donahue did for their sucking

I'll dislike Christian if and when his teams suck on the court and he continues to recruit miserably even years after donahue's dumpster fire.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 am

and we still disagree because i'll call a spade a spade as soon as i see it bite into the earth. christian is a mac coach that already failed at tcu and will fail just as badly... if not worse... in chestnut hill.

all you w3ird0z that still ride the "give him 3-4 years to get his guize initiated into the program" train... have at it. i'd much rather ride the indianapolis clipper but recognize there are no seats available to me as long as captain mac christian is at the helm.

all the reports from practice about intensity and defense smack of reports from beeker's honeymoon period. burn me once and all that...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:03 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Not to mention it only takes 2 really good players to win in basketball where as it takes a lot more in football

stop agreeing with me

Day sucks and it's easier to restock a basketball roster from a numbers stand point...

Doesn't take a genius to see these two points but aparently some people here just can't see anything at all

Addazio made it look pretty easy to go from 2-10 to 7-6. Coaching has more impact in the game of football. In basketball, it's harder to win without talent. Look at the NBA, you already know that 20 teams have no chance at the title because of their roster.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:...Look at the NBA, you already know that 20 teams have no chance at the title because of their roster.

and because their markets aren't big enough to support the commissioner's salary/bonus structure
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 am

I bet this will make everyone mad, but saw this on twitter. We had him on campus a few months ago as well.

ron bailey @ronbailey19 · 12h 12 hours ago
Jaren Harrington (@JH2__) has interest from "Boston college , boston u, and Quinnipiac". Kid could be a top sleeper in #DMVhoops

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle

Edit: kid's name is Jared not Jaren
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

stop agreeing with me

Day sucks and it's easier to restock a basketball roster from a numbers stand point...

Doesn't take a genius to see these two points but aparently some people here just can't see anything at all

Addazio made it look pretty easy to go from 2-10 to 7-6. Coaching has more impact in the game of football. In basketball, it's harder to win without talent. Look at the NBA, you already know that 20 teams have no chance at the title because of their roster.

It's much easier to go the functional equivalent of 7-6 in hoop. What is that, 17-15? BC could do that this season and they blow.

Addazio made that increase look easy because the previous coach was an assclown. Daz appears to be a good coach, but he's no miracle worker for going 7-6 with a team that should have been 7-6.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:...Look at the NBA, you already know that 20 teams have no chance at the title because of their roster.

and because their markets aren't big enough to support the commissioner's salary/bonus structure

the same thing can be said of football more often than not.

Conservatively 75+% of being successful in sports is about talent. Probably more like 90%. this is why in college sports especially the key is to get a great recruiter before a great coach. get the recruiter then hope he can coach.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 am

i think you misunderstood. i was taking "the nba is fixed" angle

i think professional football is far less fixed.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:05 am

College basketball is a much easier fix and it is not even close. All it really takes is one NBA prospect and a decent complementary player. Think Troy Bell and Uka Agbai.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I bet this will make everyone mad, but saw this on twitter. We had him on campus a few months ago as well.

Jaren Harrington (@JH2__) has interest from "Boston college , boston u, and Quinnipiac". Kid could be a top sleeper in #DMVhoops

Plan C!!!! Should've kept Donahue if this is who we are going to recruit
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I bet this will make everyone mad, but saw this on twitter. We had him on campus a few months ago as well.

Plan C!!!! Should've kept Donahue if this is who we are going to recruit

You have something against playing defense?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:38 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:College basketball is a much easier fix and it is not even close. All it really takes is one NBA prospect and a decent complementary player. Think Troy Bell and Uka Agbai.

This. Or Shabaaz Napier and Ryan Boatwright as well.

Olivier Hanlan and Ryan Anderson?

I kid. :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby GlorytoBC on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:50 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and we still disagree because i'll call a spade a spade as soon as i see it bite into the earth. christian is a mac coach that already failed at tcu and will fail just as badly... if not worse... in chestnut hill.

all you w3ird0z that still ride the "give him 3-4 years to get his guize initiated into the program" train... have at it. i'd much rather ride the indianapolis clipper but recognize there are no seats available to me as long as captain mac christian is at the helm.

all the reports from practice about intensity and defense smack of reports from beeker's honeymoon period. burn me once and all that...

You try way too hard to be funny with your "h00ops weird0s" act.

Its pretty much the equivalent to saying "LOOK AT ME!!! I'M COOL ON A MESSAGE BOARD."
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:52 am

GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and we still disagree because i'll call a spade a spade as soon as i see it bite into the earth. christian is a mac coach that already failed at tcu and will fail just as badly... if not worse... in chestnut hill.

Its pretty much the equivalent to saying "LOOK AT ME!!! I'M COOL ON A MESSAGE BOARD."

Nope, h00ps w3ird0s remains funny,

Case desmithed. TRE, you are free to shoot your guns and fly your ships. Just don't make the juice, ool
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:

Nope, h00ps w3ird0s remains funny,

Case desmithed. TRE, you are free to shoot your guns and fly your ships. Just don't make the juice, ool

waaaaaaa(thnak you) waaaaaaaaaaa(lets go skywalker)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:College basketball is a much easier fix and it is not even close. All it really takes is one NBA prospect and a decent complementary player. Think Troy Bell and Uka Agbai.

It's an easier fix with talent. The BC basketball program has a very difficult time attracting top talent, regardless of coach. That was one of my original points. I would rather take over a bad BC football program than a bad BC basketball program. BC is a football school.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:25 pm

we're recruiting another guard? are we doing that thing again where we don't recruit bigs?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:we're recruiting another guard? are we doing that thing again where we don't recruit bigs?

we came in second place. SECOND PLACE!!!! sound the victory horn and move on to guards....

gimme an EM... gimme an A... gimme a See... what's that spell "jim christian at boston college"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Some particularly horrible posting about academic standards and alternate nerd history of Doug Flutie not putting BC on the institutional map going on over at ATL's septuagenarian board on this topic today.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Jerome Robinson added two new offers today according to EA.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Jerome Robinson added two new offers today according to EA.

You are the HJS of the W3ird0s board. Except it makes sense over here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Jerome Robinson added two new offers today according to EA.

You are the HJS of the W3ird0s board. Except it makes sense over here.

this was funny
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum