recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:This is the kind of just-fell-off-the-turnip-truck naive wishful thinking that deserves to get me laughed at, but I saw Alabama is planning to make Marshall at Wichita State an enormous offer. Surely Markis Mcduffie would come to BC if that happened, right? :lol: :screamyeagle

Why would Greg Marshall be interested in Alabama?

money
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm

so its seems like were in the final 3 for the seton hall kid w michigan and stanford.

don't know anything about him but seems like he's inclined to actually be a student athlete which is nice (but intriguing as to why he ended up at seton hall in the first place)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:so its seems like were in the final 3 for the seton hall kid w michigan and stanford.

don't know anything about him but seems like he's inclined to actually be a student athlete which is nice (but intriguing as to why he ended up at seton hall in the first place)

Fred hill
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Does any program outside of Kentucky have more player turnover than Providence? Harris is talented but very inconsistent, you could say his head isn't always in the game. He is related to Tobias Harris (NBA player) but they don't really have the same body type.

Harris is a stretch 4 if I recall in the Magerity mold. If the staff wants to play 1 in and 4 out, I'd imagine BC will be involved.

This is a strong year for transfers with Sina, Gordon and Harris already out there.

I think this is fair, but he is much more athletic and versatile than Magarity, personally I would want Harris getting PT over Magarity. I saw alot of PC this year, and while Harris wasn't great, I think he would be a no brainer for a 1 year/instant qualifier. Christians first class was very guard heavy, and having someone who is fairly versatile and can play the 3/4 would be a nice piece for a year

Cooley really shut him down at the end of the year (specifically BET and NCAAT), not sure if that was because of his impending decision to leave or something else, but this rumor has been floating around the PC program for a while.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 am

If he can get time over Magarity it will be great because then they can both play over Clifford.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:23 am

Harris is a wing player not a big man. He would compete with Turner, not Clifford.
---
Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits 15h15 hours ago
Auburn, Marquette, and Pittsburgh offered 2015 John Glenn (MI) C Michael Edwards. (HT @scoopIPS) @bigmike005

Billy Embody ‏@BillyEmbody 15h15 hours ago
#SMU has offered John Glenn (MI) C Michael Edwards today. 6-9, 225. Was watched by SMU asst KT Turner today.
---

And here's this about "Plan C" / "Can't Dunk" / "Caudill 2.0" Vrankovic:

Croatian Sensation: Duke Closing In On 6'11" Antonio Vrankovic
It may seem difficult to fly under the radar at nearly 7,' but Antonio Vrankovic has been doing something about it. He now has the keen interest of his favorite program, Duke.

:screamyeagle
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Harris is a wing player not a big man. He would compete with Turner, not Clifford.
---
Auburn, Marquette, and Pittsburgh offered 2015 John Glenn (MI) C Michael Edwards. (HT @scoopIPS) @bigmike005

#SMU has offered John Glenn (MI) C Michael Edwards today. 6-9, 225. Was watched by SMU asst KT Turner today.
---

It may seem difficult to fly under the radar at nearly 7,' but Antonio Vrankovic has been doing something about it. He now has the keen interest of his favorite program, Duke.

1. Don't question my talent evaluation skills
2. Duke needs an awkward crappy white player to replace Plumlee
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Harris is a wing player not a big man. He would compete with Turner, not Clifford.
---

---

Magerity isn't a big man either for the record.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Everyone is competing with Clifford. Coaches don't do the mental bullshit assigning positions to players that we do here. If two PFs are better players than any of the centers, guess what? The soft non dunking 7'1'' center that doesn't actually rebound or play good defense despite this common statement sits his ass on the bench.\\

Regardless, even if you are right, get a sense of humor.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:18 pm

In my mind there are 3 types of players, ball handlers, wings, and big men. I would call Clifford a traditional big man, Magarity to be a perimeter-oriented big man, and Harris to be a very tall wing. It's not about position as much as it is about skill set and who on the other team you are expected to guard.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:In my mind there are 3 types of players, ball handlers, wings, and big men. I would call Clifford a traditional big man, Magarity to be a perimeter-oriented big man, and Harris to be a very tall wing. It's not about position as much as it is about skill set and who on the other team you are expected to guard.

Play zone and put your 5 best players on the floor. If one of them can't handle the rock and another can't board, recruit better.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:33 pm

While that would probably boost the offense, a zone without height is going to get crushed on the boards (also Christian has basically said he doesn't like zones). If you wanted to go super small you would probably be better off trying a VCU or WVU style high pressure defense (or Miami Heat Lebron at the 4 Bosh at the 5 trap everything defense), but that requires a lot of depth or really good athletes, which we don't have. So all roads lead eventually but inevitably back to Clifford.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 pm

There's a new article on Davis over on the SMU Scout site. I can't read it but If someone wants to summarize where BC is involved that would be wonderful
Last edited by eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:While that would probably boost the offense, a zone without height is going to get crushed on the boards (also Christian has basically said he doesn't like zones). If you wanted to go super small you would probably be better off trying a VCU or WVU style high pressure defense (or Miami Heat Lebron at the 4 Bosh at the 5 trap everything defense), but that requires a lot of depth or really good athletes, which we don't have. So all roads lead eventually but inevitably back to Clifford.

To repeat, any defense with Clifford in it is not going to be much better.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:While that would probably boost the offense, a zone without height is going to get crushed on the boards (also Christian has basically said he doesn't like zones). If you wanted to go super small you would probably be better off trying a VCU or WVU style high pressure defense (or Miami Heat Lebron at the 4 Bosh at the 5 trap everything defense), but that requires a lot of depth or really good athletes, which we don't have. So all roads lead eventually but inevitably back to Clifford.

Clifford isn't as bad as you think he is, nor is he as good as CF thinks.

He's fine off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game. If you start him and play him 30 minutes your team will stink.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Clifford is worse than I think on offense. His defense is just poor.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:40 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He's fine off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game. If you start him and play him 30 minutes your team will stink.

But with a good supporting cast he is a 25/12 guy

Actually backward. I said with a good coach running a pick and roll and only one other good player (Hanlan), Anderson's 15/8 could be 25/12. Anderson on a good team doesn't get the 15/8 he got at BC - not enough balls
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:49 pm

I never claimed Clifford was objectively great, I have always said he's better than anyone else we have. Diallo may well prove me wrong next year but I expect it to be an understudy year for him. Diallo with a torn meniscus was probably already a better shot blocker.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I never claimed Clifford was objectively great, I have always said he's better than anyone else we have. Diallo may well prove me wrong next year but I expect it to be an understudy year for him. Diallo with a torn meniscus was probably already a better shot blocker.

Your point about Diallo being confused on offense is still valid. I'd hope the coaches can fix that issue.

I also expect Diallo to foul a ton next year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:59 pm

I'd rather see Magarity at the 5 and a smaller 4 than Clifford. Just done with his exaggerated potential. He's soft, and he's not very good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:13 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

But with a good supporting cast he is a 25/12 guy

Actually backward. I said with a good coach running a pick and roll and only one other good player (Hanlan), Anderson's 15/8 could be 25/12. Anderson on a good team doesn't get the 15/8 he got at BC - not enough balls

I am 99 percent sure that you also prefaced it with Anderson needed a good center so that he could play his real position. But that's neither here no there, as you statement was full on:

It was full on exaggeration, but the point stands. He averaged 15/8 without touching the ball.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 pm

pair Clifford with another big man and he'll be fine. he can't guard the 4 and 5 AND box out the 4 and 5 for 30 minutes while running the floor. (cue TW's "he doesn't do those things anyways" comment) Cliff is fine as long as he's not the only big man. 20-25 minutes is decent use out of him.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm

I think Clifford would be fine if you pair him with Perpiglia and the Gatorade bucket.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm

just wait until clifford is healthy. he's going to carry this team to houston on his bacne'd doughy shoulders next year
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I thought I was the only one on the Clifford is really, really bad bandwagon.

Glad I have company.

Would be ideal if we could land Sina and Harris. Not sure how likely either is but both would fill a need.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby footer20 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Sina sounds like a real possibility and would be a good addition to the team.

Harris has let it be known for months that he wasn't returning to PC. There were even rumours that he was going to declare, regardless of how he played the rest of the season but that obviously wasn't the case. He is Tobias' brother but isn't even half the player. He's an undersized four that thinks he's a three that really doesn't display any effort to involve himself in the game. However, he'd be a starter and one of our better players as soon as he stepped on campus.

I wonder if another possibility would be Four McGlynn from Towson. Started his career at Vermont where he scored 12 ppg as a freshman the year they made it to the tournament. Can play the point a bit and is a career 40% 3 point shooter and 90% free throw shooter.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 pm

hopefully Sina plays good defense, because all he does is launch threes. of his 158 shots, 125 were from beyond the arc, and he is only a 32% shooter (regressed from 38% freshman year.) he clearly has potential, and would be an interesting addition though.

as far as Harris goes, that's also all about potential. seems like, at 6'9, he's a PF that just wants to be a perimeter oriented wing. don't know that we need that.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:16 am

With drago, caudill, odio, jackson, batten, brown, jcc, heckmann & maybe hanlan leaving and only 3 coming in, I don't think we need to be too selective on 5th years
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonChillage on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:With drago, caudill, odio, jackson, batten, brown, jcc, heckmann & maybe hanlan leaving and only 3 coming in, I don't think we need to be too selective on 5th years

Agreed. We have the schollies to give even if they only end up getting Drago-type minutes.
"I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it"
BostonChillage
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

Hey, I have news that actually warrants getting excited about instead of pointless arguments! :)

Retweeted 32 times
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 22m22 minutes ago
Tennessee freshman Tariq Owens will explore his options for a potential transfer, sources told ESPN.
Signed with Tyndall last spring.

For those who don't know, Owens committed to Christian at Ohio then decommitted when Christian took the BC job. Theoretically, you'd think a guy who committed to Christian once would want to again, right? And that it's easier to sneak past admissions a guy who has a year of school under his belt already, if that was a problem as a poster on here suggested at the time (no idea if true)?

edit:
Sign this kid up!!
https://vine.co/v/O0UPYM3ztDZ

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum