recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby larrydoby on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:As of today, the day after Thanksgiving, here is the state of our recruiting, according to ESPN:

13 offers

Zero acceptances

One campus visit by one who later signed with Iowa

Three still listed as considering BC. One is a 3 star, the others are 2 stars, both guards.

What doth this mean?

It does NOT mean that Don can't recruit. For the truth is that almost no one could, given the rep we have, thanks to GDF and the money-mad guy at the helm.

And don't delude yourselves into ignoring THIS harsh reality: firing Al Skinner has hurt us in the black community. Also, in our history, we've had 2 black head coaches. We ran off both, one of whom holds the record for most wins in school hoops history.

BC was hurt in the black community long before they fired Skinner

Though Bates seems solid, innovative and well-intentioned, he is hampered by the actions that his boss has taken over his 16 year tenure.

Only major structural surgery (not the Pavlovian coach axing that has defined this regime) will cure our miserable state.

Sorry, folks, but truth is sometimes unpleasant.
larrydoby
n00b

Postby MaroonNGold on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 am

larrydoby {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:As of today, the day after Thanksgiving, here is the state of our recruiting, according to ESPN:

13 offers

Zero acceptances

One campus visit by one who later signed with Iowa

Three still listed as considering BC. One is a 3 star, the others are 2 stars, both guards.

What doth this mean?

It does NOT mean that Don can't recruit. For the truth is that almost no one could, given the rep we have, thanks to GDF and the money-mad guy at the helm.

And don't delude yourselves into ignoring THIS harsh reality: firing Al Skinner has hurt us in the black community. Also, in our history, we've had 2 black head coaches. We ran off both, one of whom holds the record for most wins in school hoops history.

BC was hurt in the black community long before they fired Skinner

Though Bates seems solid, innovative and well-intentioned, he is hampered by the actions that his boss has taken over his 16 year tenure.

Only major structural surgery (not the Pavlovian coach axing that has defined this regime) will cure our miserable state.

Sorry, folks, but truth is sometimes unpleasant.

Hey Larry,

If you're going to quote me, please don't insert something that I did not write.

Play nice, not by the BC "morality."

After all, we ARE a "Catholic, Jesuit" university.

Just ask our esteemed leader.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:51 pm

No, don't ask him; if he opens his mouth in public, he'll probably stick his foot in it. After all, he managed to do it more often in his first year at BC than Monan did in his entire tenure (and we all breathe a sigh of relief that he's been more inclined to keep his mouth shut since then).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:12 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:No, don't ask him; if he opens his mouth in public, he'll probably stick his foot in it. After all, he managed to do it more often in his first year at BC than Monan did in his entire tenure (and we all breathe a sigh of relief that he's been more inclined to keep his mouth shut since then).

Agreed.

But the REAL danger he presents is what he does unseen and unknown by all but a few.

And he never makes himself available to the outside press.

Why is that?
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:No, don't ask him; if he opens his mouth in public, he'll probably stick his foot in it. After all, he managed to do it more often in his first year at BC than Monan did in his entire tenure (and we all breathe a sigh of relief that he's been more inclined to keep his mouth shut since then).

Agreed.

But the REAL danger he presents is what he does unseen and unknown by all but a few.

And he never makes himself available to the outside press.

Why is that?

The danger of what goes on behind the scenes is real, but it exists in all institutions and at all times. On one occasion in ancient days, it even inspired two Heights editors to plant a bug at a BOT meeting.

His unavailability to the outside press is probably some combination of general secretiveness and fear of recurrence of the aforementioned past disasters. I sometimes speculate whether, after that horrendous first year, the BOT emphatically told him to shut up in public.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:11 pm

i see adaziani had no problem getting a good recruit out of a jesuit bc feeder school
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:20 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i see adaziani had no problem getting a good recruit out of a jesuit bc feeder school

Lahey will make him give him back.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i see adaziani had no problem getting a good recruit out of a jesuit bc feeder school

Lahey will make him give him back.

My boy, it's the HOOPS program that is in free fall.

Duh!

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:55 am

So did Bates issue the edict of no more MAC level players for beeker? Or did he just stop recruiting?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:So did Bates issue the edict of no more MAC level players for beeker? Or did he just stop recruiting?

Good question. The silence is deafening. The "interested" and "offers" tabs for BC on the ESPN site are depressing as shit.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:So did Bates issue the edict of no more MAC level players for beeker? Or did he just stop recruiting?

Thats saying the same thing right? :shrug
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:12 pm

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Solid showing by the EO coaching staff
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Solid showing by the EO coaching staff

The least I can do is keep things amusing around here.

I went to the SDSU game tonight. That Davis kid from Tulane would've done wonders for BC in spite of the fact he's pretty useless offensively. Replace Odio with him and our record would look very different.

As screwed up as this is, we're still only a player or two from being a decent team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 am

Cimino for the record wouldn't help this situation at all. We don't need any more 6'9" guys that chuck shots and play no defense
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Cimino for the record wouldn't help this situation at all. We don't need any more 6'9" guys that chuck shots and play no defense

Cimino just picked up offers from Georgia, Vandy, and George Washington this week after his play at the Ballas TV tournament last week. I would take him over some other no name fill-in and he at least has size at 6-10 and can shoot the 3. I don't think all his other offers he use to have like Virginia and Kansas st are commitable anymore though.

On the 2015 front things are starting to pick up with offers out to a couple 4star kids. 6-6 SF Tres Tinkle from MT. with offers from Utah and Montana and also 6-7 SF/PF Elijah Burns from NY with offers from Seton Hall, BU, Holy Cross, Sienna, James Madison, URI. Two guys that its good to get on early that could blow out soon. Also, Aaron Falzon seems to have us has his leader. He should be up there as one of our top targets along with his teammate Josh Sharma. Close to about 30 scholarships are out for the 2015 class.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:54 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
On the 2015 front things are starting to pick up with offers out to a couple 4star kids. 6-6 SF Tres Tinkle from MT. with offers from Utah and Montana and also 6-7 SF/PF Elijah Burns from NY with offers from Seton Hall, BU, Holy Cross, Sienna, James Madison, URI. Two guys that its good to get on early that could blow out soon. Also, Aaron Falzon seems to have us has his leader. He should be up there as one of our top targets along with his teammate Josh Sharma. Close to about 30 scholarships are out for the 2015 class.

This shit needs to stop. I don't want Lame Duck Beeker signing any 2015 players
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:

Lame duck or not, if he gets a commit from Falzon, I will kiss the shiny toes of his shoes; if he also gets Sharma in a package deal, I will grovel at his feet. Talent is talent, however you come by it. In fact, if he were to effect such a miraculous recruiting turnaround, we might even consider keeping him around for a while (or, more to the point, Bates might). I am NOT, however, prepared to wager a single penny on such improbabilities as of now.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:

Lame duck or not, if he gets a commit from Falzon, I will kiss the shiny toes of his shoes; if he also gets Sharma in a package deal, I will grovel at his feet. Talent is talent, however you come by it. In fact, if he were to effect such a miraculous recruiting turnaround, we might even consider keeping him around for a while (or, more to the point, Bates might). I am NOT, however, prepared to wager a single penny on such improbabilities as of now.

Wait is this the annual, Donahue is in early on a big time local recruit post?

If so:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:33 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:

Wait is this the annual, Donahue is in early on a big time local recruit post?

If so:

Screw the local recruits. What's the latest out of Houston? Good news?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:02 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:

no
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:11 pm

If beeker sign Michael Jordan I will be pissed. Get. The fuck. Out.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If beeker sign Michael Jordan I will be pissed. Get. The fuck. Out.

Back, as always, to the question y'all can't realistically address:

And who will replace him?

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If beeker sign Michael Jordan I will be pissed. Get. The fuck. Out.

If I'm following your ramblings correctly and I'm almost certainly not because they are internally inconsistent, the great crime was firing Al and the very bad Donahue hire didn't much matter. I don't understand the leap from Al's firing to irreversible program ruination. Specifically, On what planet is bc basketball in worse shape now than it was after your boy JOB lit a cigarette next to the gas pump on his way out the door?

Please realistically address this question.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

If I'm following your ramblings correctly and I'm almost certainly not because they are internally inconsistent, the great crime was firing Al and the very bad Donahue hire didn't much matter. I don't understand the leap from Al's firing to irreversible program ruination. Specifically, On what planet is bc basketball in worse shape now than it was after your boy JOB lit a cigarette next to the gas pump on his way out the door?

The answer is the black community. As you know, beeker can't recruit people of color. As a result, roonie the Greek declares the program dead
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm

:chewbanka
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

The answer is the black community. As you know, beeker can't recruit people of color. As a result, roonie the Greek declares the program dead

So more or less baba booey baba booey Jim obrien/Kevin gilbrides penis?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:02 am

Does the alias really think I am going to engage? Save it for the weirdos 81.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now, 9903, let's take a look at some FACTS, as opposed to vacant accusation.

1. You say JOB "lit a cigarette next to the gas pump on his way out the door."

A. Care to explain that?

B. Leahy dismissed HIM; Jim did not choose to leave BC, where he was a star player and which he loved. HE did nothing to harm the program. Instead, when he was let go, his class of 4 prized recruits all decided, on their own, that BC was no place for them. And Scoonie Penn held Jim in such high esteem that he elected to transfer to OSU and wait out a year. The loss of all those players is due to Leahy's rash, temper-tantrum action when his lower the admissions policy for athletes was revealed in the Globe.

C. Those, my boy, are the FACTS.

2. As to the Al firing:

A. Almost all the chirpers on this and similar boards were doing four years ago what y'all are doing now: savaging the head coach and demanding his ouster.

B. You got what you wanted, and now you're stuck with a program plummeting to the bottom of the basketball ocean. So, what do you do? Why, of course, you revert to the visceral, tired insults and coach bashing.

C. My point is that the axing of Al DID have long-term negative effects on the program. Want some? Here are just two:

(i) Look at our record since he left (even considering that AL'S players got Don into the NCAA in 2010-2011).

(ii) Check the BYU-like roster we now have: four blacks out of 17. Do you think that is a coincidence? How do you explain that? We are nowhere near getting the quality of player that Al, JOB and their predecessors brought here. Why is THAT?

D. Sure, had BC been able to hire a first-rate coach to succeed Al, the disintegration of this program might not have happened. But the harsh reality is that NO such coach wanted any part of this place. Why is that? Take a guess.

E. Donahue was hired because of what he did in his last 4 years at Cornell. Understandably, the press he got made him "hot" then. But did he beat out any front-line coach? Yes, he did, in Bill Coen and Ed Cooley, whom GDF interviewed but would not touch with a 1000 foot pole, because their "sin" was their connection to the coach whom GDF and Leahy stupidly fired.

In sum: The question I keep asking - and which y'all duck because you have NO answer is: who will come here if Don is let go?

Answers, please - if you have any.

Otherwise, save us the Pavlovian insults - you only demean yourselves with them.

:spaz2

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:39 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now, 9903, let's take a look at some FACTS, as opposed to vacant accusation.

1. You say JOB "lit a cigarette next to the gas pump on his way out the door."

A. Care to explain that?

B. Leahy dismissed HIM; Jim did not choose to leave BC, where he was a star player and which he loved. HE did nothing to harm the program. Instead, when he was let go, his class of 4 prized recruits all decided, on their own, that BC was no place for them. And Scoonie Penn held Jim in such high esteem that he elected to transfer to OSU and wait out a year. The loss of all those players is due to Leahy's rash, temper-tantrum action when his lower the admissions policy for athletes was revealed in the Globe.

C. Those, my boy, are the FACTS.

2. As to the Al firing:

A. Almost all the chirpers on this and similar boards were doing four years ago what y'all are doing now: savaging the head coach and demanding his ouster.

B. You got what you wanted, and now you're stuck with a program plummeting to the bottom of the basketball ocean. So, what do you do? Why, of course, you revert to the visceral, tired insults and coach bashing.

C. My point is that the axing of Al DID have long-term negative effects on the program. Want some? Here are just two:

(i) Look at our record since he left (even considering that AL'S players got Don into the NCAA in 2010-2011).

(ii) Check the BYU-like roster we now have: four blacks out of 17. Do you think that is a coincidence? How do you explain that? We are nowhere near getting the quality of player that Al, JOB and their predecessors brought here. Why is THAT?

D. Sure, had BC been able to hire a first-rate coach to succeed Al, the disintegration of this program might not have happened. But the harsh reality is that NO such coach wanted any part of this place. Why is that? Take a guess.

E. Donahue was hired because of what he did in his last 4 years at Cornell. Understandably, the press he got made him "hot" then. But did he beat out any front-line coach? Yes, he did, in Bill Coen and Ed Cooley, whom GDF interviewed but would not touch with a 1000 foot pole, because their "sin" was their connection to the coach whom GDF and Leahy stupidly fired.

In sum: The question I keep asking - and which y'all duck because you have NO answer is: who will come here if Don is let go?

Answers, please - if you have any.

Otherwise, save us the Pavlovian insults - you only demean yourselves with them.

:spaz2

Scoonie Penn had failed out of Boston College so there was no future for him at BC. Since you got a basic fact wrong hard to believe the rest of it. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby bcmurph on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Then there's the whole
even considering that AL'S players got Don into the NCAA in 2010-2011).
thing...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum