recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:29 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:think they will take 2 guys and plan for some one to leave the program or play it safe and just sign one guy for 2014?

I think they take 1 and plan for a huge 2015 class.

As matters stand, "huge" is almost an understatement. At present, BC has seven (7) scholarship players on the roster whose eligibility expires in 2015: Odio, Caudill, Anderson, Jackson, Dragicevich, Clifford, and Heckmann. If Donahue fills all their slots with incoming freshmen, we'll still be stuck with the gross imbalance of classes Skinner saddled us with; if he can find a couple of quality transfers, it might inconvenience us for one year, but would help over the longer term.

You forgot Hanlan, whose eligibility will almost certainly expire after 2014.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

Bonzie Colson Jr going to ND.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Bonzie Colson Jr going to ND.

Where is Colson Sr coaching these days? Possibly a position at ND now that Jr has given his verbal?
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Chris Anderson of BC's 247 site predicted Justin Johnson to BC after his visit.

WOW!!! That's pretty impressive considering the other schools we are in competition with for his services. Way to go Don!!! This should shut-up all the Wah-Wahs who constantly complain about this staff's ability to recruit.

If you don't want to be horrified, dont watch his highlights.

In fairness, wasnt Providence and Auburn in his Final 5?

I believe he had a really good performance in the Peach Jam, where BC, Auburn and PC offered. He was the backup plan to Ben Bentil for PC, but Auburn still wants him.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:58 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Chris Anderson of BC's 247 site predicted Justin Johnson to BC after his visit.

WOW!!! That's pretty impressive considering the other schools we are in competition with for his services. Way to go Don!!! This should shut-up all the Wah-Wahs who constantly complain about this staff's ability to recruit.

You didn't really need a video, did you farrakhan?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

jimmy the greek would have been better here. just sayin
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Baby steps, TRE, baby steps.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Baby steps, TRE, baby steps.

you can say that all you want but you should also remember that i don't even like sports... however, i like sports analogies when discussing sports so, there's that
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 am

My point was that funny doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and practice.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:My point was that funny doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and practice.

like being good at sporting things. now i get it (and don't like it)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:15 am

It's hard to be funny when you are pre-occupied coming up with an argument to justify Don's recruiting. Defending coaches as a an internet warrior is a full-time, serious business job.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:20 am

HJS {l Wrote}:It's hard to be funny when you are pre-occupied coming up with an argument to justify Don's recruiting. Defending coaches as a an internet warrior is a full-time, serious business job.

this isn't true of all coaches but is certainly true of our coaches (sans jerry, king of york of course)

by the way, this thread needs more names of kids that will never, ever set foot on campus (for the w3ird0s to beat off to) and less internet warrior fighting/thinly disguised racism
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:by the way, this thread needs more names of kids that will never, ever set foot on campus (for the w3ird0s to beat off to) and less internet warrior fighting/thinly disguised racism

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Probably.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 am

Looks like Dominque Uhl will have a decision tomorrow:

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/uhl-enjo ... rthcoming/
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:Looks like Dominque Uhl will have a decision tomorrow:

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:Looks like Dominque Uhl will have a decision tomorrow:

Haha yeah, doesn't look like the prognosticators think it's likely: http://247sports.com/Player/Dominique-U ... redictions
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:23 am

Uhl to Iowa. In some ways I think this year's class is worse than last year's - you'd think we could get a pretty good guy when we only have 1 scholarship.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 am

you think we can steal a sleeper from brighton high this year?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:you think we can steal a sleeper from brighton high this year?

Maybe Brighton High can be a new feeder school now that we've lost Fairfield Prep.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:you think we can steal a sleeper from brighton high this year?

Maybe Brighton High can be a new feeder school now that we've lost Fairfield Prep.

well done
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 am

I think it is pretty clear at this point that Don sans Joe Jones is Skinner sans Cooley, O'Shea and Cohen. He has absolutely no ability to close on any of his top targets. Strangely, in spite of this undeniable truth, he casts a very small net. Under Don (with Graham, Waheed and whoever has replaced the demoted Kampmann), we will never (repeat NEVER) land anything but mid-major/Ivy league talent. As schools like Butler, Gonzaga, Wichita and VCU have recently shown, you can win with mid-major talent. However, you (a) need the right coach, (b) need the right schedule and (c) have very little margin for error. For the school, the best thing would either be to have Don win big (20+ like Skinner did his 4th year) or stagnate with a similar record as last year (which would lead to Don's ouster). The worst thing for the program would be for a middling season that puts Don on the hot seat when he needs to go out and recruit 7 new players.

While I have continuously questioned Don's recruiting the past year a half, I have never killed an actual recruit (more questioned Don not pursuing big men). All that said, Justin Johnson is not an ACC player. He is has limited athletic ability and is pretty. While that would be OK if he was 6'9"/6'10", at 6'6" he will be a 3... and will simply not be able to defend other wings in the ACC. At this point, Don should cut bait on the early signing period and hope that he can find something this winter.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think it is pretty clear at this point that Don sans Joe Jones is Skinner sans Cooley, O'Shea and Cohen. He has absolutely no ability to close on any of his top targets. Strangely, in spite of this undeniable truth, he casts a very small net. Under Don (with Graham, Waheed and whoever has replaced the demoted Kampmann), we will never (repeat NEVER) land anything but mid-major/Ivy league talent. As schools like Butler, Gonzaga, Wichita and VCU have recently shown, you can win with mid-major talent. However, you (a) need the right coach, (b) need the right schedule and (c) have very little margin for error. For the school, the best thing would either be to have Don win big (20+ like Skinner did his 4th year) or stagnate with a similar record as last year (which would lead to Don's ouster). The worst thing for the program would be for a middling season that puts Don on the hot seat when he needs to go out and recruit 7 new players.

While I have continuously questioned Don's recruiting the past year a half, I have never killed an actual recruit (more questioned Don not pursuing big men). All that said, Justin Johnson is not an ACC player. He is has limited athletic ability and is pretty. While that would be OK if he was 6'9"/6'10", at 6'6" he will be a 3... and will simply not be able to defend other wings in the ACC. At this point, Don should cut bait on the early signing period and hope that he can find something this winter.

To what extent do you think the unbalance of our classes affects the ability to close? If I were Uhl -- or anyone else -- I would look at the roster and say, "Where would my playing time come from Freshman year with everyone returning in 2014?" It will take a confidcent, patient and extremely good player to break into the current lineup. And let's be honest, Uhl is probably not such a sure thing that he could predict -- or be told -- that he would have 15-20 minutes a game right out of the gate. Guys understandably want to play immediately. And they want to be stars. It's hard to look at our roster -- and the Don's style of play -- and see the star opportunity (although Olivier certainly demonstrates that it can be done).

The question is, how does Donahue achieve re-balance the mess he inherited? Maybe with a couple of transfers in 2014 that can be ready to play in 2015 so he doesn't have another huge incoming class that creates a new 4-year cycle? It's not an easy situation. But I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Without question, a solid season this year with a trip to the tourney and continued success and accolades for Olivier and Ryan (and for Reggie for that matter!) will help. Great players will see this as a viable place to advance their careers.

Wouldn't hurt if Conte Forum developed a pulse..........watching the students leave the FSU and Army games in the 2nd half doesn't give me much hope that we've turned the corner on antipathy........
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 am

31southst {l Wrote}:Uhl to Iowa. In some ways I think this year's class is worse than last year's - you'd think we could get a pretty good guy when we only have 1 scholarship.

wackus interruptus
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:07 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:To what extent do you think the unbalance of our classes affects the ability to close? If I were Uhl -- or anyone else -- I would look at the roster and say, "Where would my playing time come from Freshman year with everyone returning in 2014?" It will take a confidcent, patient and extremely good player to break into the current lineup. And let's be honest, Uhl is probably not such a sure thing that he could predict -- or be told -- that he would have 15-20 minutes a game right out of the gate. Guys understandably want to play immediately. And they want to be stars. It's hard to look at our roster -- and the Don's style of play -- and see the star opportunity (although Olivier certainly demonstrates that it can be done).

The question is, how does Donahue achieve re-balance the mess he inherited? Maybe with a couple of transfers in 2014 that can be ready to play in 2015 so he doesn't have another huge incoming class that creates a new 4-year cycle? It's not an easy situation. But I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Without question, a solid season this year with a trip to the tourney and continued success and accolades for Olivier and Ryan (and for Reggie for that matter!) will help. Great players will see this as a viable place to advance their careers.

Wouldn't hurt if Conte Forum developed a pulse..........watching the students leave the FSU and Army games in the 2nd half doesn't give me much hope that we've turned the corner on antipathy........

Seriously???

First... Don had 4 years to adjust the imbalance of his classes. He didn't address and actually made it worse. I personally believe that Don LIKES the imbalanced class. He did it at Cornell and he did it at BC. He takes a big class... suffers with them... and then hopes to pop in Year 4. In other words... blaming Skinner is like Barry still mentioning W.

Second... an athletic big has PLENTY of PT available. Right now, we are scheduling Drag and Owens to get a ton of run. Uhl or whoever has NEVER heard of those guys. So, they could easily believe they would be immediate starters.

Third... there is always excuses as to why you will lose a recruit (location, conference, PT, history, coach, success, bribery, AAU sleeze, connections). It is the effing job of the assistants (essentially their ONLY job) to convince a kid to overlook those problems of your school and to highlight those problems of another. Don has surrounded himself with assistants who have no experience recruiting at the high major level... and the results of the current 0-player recruiting class are self-evident.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 am

The past two seasons, everyone that has seen this program has known that they were going to be one more star away from being a serious ACC contender over the next two seasons. Reporters are reporting that the team looks good, coaches are seeing these guys in practice, and the fans know that experienced teams do very well in college hoop. It should not have been a tough sell to one of the local guys (Vonleh is the biggest example) that they would be the player that could step right in and make BC one of the 2-3 favorites to win the ACC. Instead, they end up with Hicks, Owens and Magarity (decent players with potential but no instant impact guys) and nothing in this upcoming class as of yet.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Samuel Dingba - Quinnipiac

Did we rule him out or did he rule us out?
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:Samuel Dingba - Quinnipiac

Did we rule him out or did he rule us out?

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 pm

HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum