recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: recruiting 2014 and beyond (h00ps weird0s beat off list)

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:33 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:i agree this is bad, but with the limited scholarships, ill give a pass on 2014.

Donahue doesn't get a pass for 2014...Are you serious, so because he only has limited scholarships he doesn't have to recruit anymore? I understand giving him a pass for the the Moton/Rubin class where he had little time to recruit and most recruits had already signed elsewhere but in year 4 are you kidding me?

I have said before and still believe that Donahue is a great gameday coach, but he absolutely sucks as a recruiter.

The h00ps w3ird0s must be feeling real good about the 100 or so names they dropped on here that have no interest in.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

i agree with matt the eagle.

the world is officially coming to an end
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:i agree this is bad, but with the limited scholarships, ill give a pass on 2014.

Donahue doesn't get a pass for 2014...Are you serious, so because he only has limited scholarships he doesn't have to recruit anymore? I understand giving him a pass for the the Moton/Rubin class where he had little time to recruit and most recruits had already signed elsewhere but in year 4 are you kidding me?

I have said before and still believe that Donahue is a great gameday coach, but he absolutely sucks as a recruiter.

The h00ps w3ird0s must be feeling real good about the 100 or so names they dropped on here that have no interest in.

HE ISN'T ON SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE LAST TIME
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:47 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i agree with matt the eagle.

the world is officially coming to an end

MattTheEagle for hoops weird0s mod.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:01 pm

steve turned a volleyball player into an ACC power forward. when it comes to development, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. he's not a good recruiter (he has a good eye for talent and potential) but if you put a good recruiting assistant there that problem is solved.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:steve turned a volleyball player into an ACC power forward. when it comes to development, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. he's not a good recruiter (he has a good eye for talent and potential) but if you put a good recruiting assistant there that problem is solved.

[img]Odio Hall Odio Hall Odio Hall

Odio Hall Odio Hall Odio Hall

Odio Hall Campion Hall

Odio Campus Dining Facility Odio Hall

Odio Hall [/img]
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:09 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}: but if you put a good recruiting assistant there that problem is solved.

yeah. too fucking bad we dont have one. jesus weirdos.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:10 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:steve turned a volleyball player into an ACC power forward. when it comes to development, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. he's not a good recruiter (he has a good eye for talent and potential) but if you put a good recruiting assistant there that problem is solved.

Odio Hall Campion Hall

Odio Hall [/img]

if we could just figure out a way to get the ball in odio's hands in space, this team would be golden...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:14 pm

correction: a volleyball player that shoots threes well
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Odio Hall Campion Hall

Odio Hall [/img]

if we could just figure out a way to get the ball in odio's hands in space, this team would be golden...

[img]what%20are%20you%20doing%20in%20space...can't%20breathe...[/img]
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i've asked this question before and never gotten a very good answer. why does donahue get a pass going into season #4 but spaz couldn't get one going into season 2, 3 or 4?

don't get me wrong, i hated spaz with the passion similar to huang's love of anime but why was he held to a different standard than beeker?

Nobody should have to explain this to you. It's pretty obvious after you look at all of the facts. To explain it fully could easily be a long essay. I'm too lazy and I've got work to do tonight so I'll do some bullet points:

-Spaz inherited a team that went to back-to-back ACC Championships so he was expected to keep them competitive. No rebuild required. He failed.
-Donahue inherited a team with a losing record, no recruits the previous year and then the recruits coming in bailed after Skinner left. The ones originally coming in weren't really great anyway. Two years of no recruits plus inheriting a team that had a losing record is what we call a rebuild (unlike Spaziani).
-BC is a football school and actually used to have decent attendance by both students and alumni. BC has a much more accomplished history in football than in basketball (Heisman (Flutie), several bowls in a row, Matty Ice, 1940, 1993, BC-ND rivalry, etc.)
-Basketball competes with 300 other schools and each school only needs 7 or 8 decent players to be competitive. Football only has 60-something BCS schools and the non-BCS schools struggle to stay competitive. It should be easier for BC to be in the top half of all FBS teams and therefore go to a Bowl.
-Spaz was old and never had been a head coach and nobody wanted him.
-Donahue had been a head coach and led Cornell to three straight Ivy titles (never done before in their history) and then went to the Sweet 16. Skinner couldn't even go farther than that with all of his ACC talent.
-The trend for Spaz was down all four years.
-The trend for Donahue is a little more tricky, but if you followed things closely, then you knew there would be a drop off after year 1 and the rebuild would begin in year 2. They were bad in year 2, as expected, and then they improved last year. More improvement will come this year. Therefore the trend is up.
-Spaz recruiting was terrible
-Donahue's recruiting has been suspect lately, but he has brought in somebody who might be the best player to ever put on a BC uniform (Hanlan) and Gatorade Player of the Year from Cali (Anderson) and some nice supporting players - Rahon, Clifford (when healthy) and Odio (yes, Odio). These three freshmen may prove to be good players as well. This time last year, tw wanted Daniels over Hanlan in the starting lineup. Not trying to call out tw, but just trying to demonstrate that we don't know what these freshmen can do yet. Unfortunately we won't know about Hicks until next year. And he is supposed to be the best one.
-Spaz was an excuse making machine with a defeatist attitude who almost cried at halftime.
-Donahue, for the most part, doesn't seem to play that card. He has ambition and believes in his system.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:03 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i've asked this question before and never gotten a very good answer. why does donahue get a pass going into season #4 but spaz couldn't get one going into season 2, 3 or 4?

don't get me wrong, i hated spaz with the passion similar to huang's love of anime but why was he held to a different standard than beeker?

Nobody should have to explain this to you. It's pretty obvious after you look at all of the facts. To explain it fully could easily be a long essay. I'm too lazy and I've got work to do tonight so I'll do some bullet points:

-Spaz inherited a team that went to back-to-back ACC Championships so he was expected to keep them competitive. No rebuild required. He failed. yes the team was under .500. but it was 15-16, not 5-26
-Donahue inherited a team with a losing record, no recruits the previous year and then the recruits coming in bailed after Skinner left. The ones originally coming in weren't really great anyway. Two years of no recruits plus inheriting a team that had a losing record is what we call a rebuild (unlike Spaziani).you fail to mention donahue couldn't keep any of them. and I'm pretty sure heslip could have gotten time on any of these past years' teams. actually, no shot he could beat out cahill.
-BC is a football school and actually used to have decent attendance by both students and alumni. BC has a much more accomplished history in football than in basketball (Heisman (Flutie), several bowls in a row, Matty Ice, 1940, 1993, BC-ND rivalry, etc.) this is ridiculous.
-Basketball competes with 300 other schools and each school only needs 7 or 8 decent players to be competitive. Football only has 60-something BCS schools and the non-BCS schools struggle to stay competitive. It should be easier for BC to be in the top half of all FBS teams and therefore go to a Bowl. if thats how were measuring success spaz succeeded right? he got to back to back bowls the first two years. donahue hasn't made it to the ncaa tournament yet.
-Spaz was old and never had been a head coach and nobody wanted him. how in the world does that merit a pass for donahues coaching?
-Donahue had been a head coach and led Cornell to three straight Ivy titles (never done before in their history) and then went to the Sweet 16. Skinner couldn't even go farther than that with all of his ACC talent. it took donahue 8 years to get to the ncaa tournament. it took donahue 7 years to have a winning record...im sure if we gave donahue a decade he could stumble into an ncaa win or two
-The trend for Spaz was down all four years. this is true...but spaz was getting grilled after 15 games...well before we hit rock bottom
-The trend for Donahue is a little more tricky, but if you followed things closely, then you knew there would be a drop off after year 1 and the rebuild would begin in year 2. They were bad in year 2, as expected, and then they improved last year. More improvement will come this year. Therefore the trend is up. maybe year 2 wouldn't have been so bad had he not ran reggie jackson off the team.
-Spaz recruiting was terrible ...
-Donahue's recruiting has been suspect lately, but he has brought in somebody who might be the best player to ever put on a BC uniform (Hanlan) i like hanlan, but no and Gatorade Player of the Year from Cali (Anderson) starz!!!and some nice supporting players - Rahon, Clifford (when healthy) ...and Odio (yes, Odio). These three freshmen may prove to be good players as well. This time last year, tw wanted Daniels over Hanlan in the starting lineup. Not trying to call out tw, but just trying to demonstrate that we don't know what these freshmen can do yet. Unfortunately we won't know about Hicks until next year. And he is supposed to be the best one.
-Spaz was an excuse making machine with a defeatist attitude who almost cried at halftime. ...weve already passed 50 games...
-Donahue, for the most part, doesn't seem to play that card. He has ambition and believes in his system.belief in system does not nor should it warrant a pass. you can be sure spaz had the utmost belief in his system.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12942

this thread reminded me: skinners year 4 he won the big east tournament. just as an fyi.

it also reminded me that in 7 months the BIGBLUEtomato1984BEACON can reignite the BRINGBRUCEPEARL2BC movement!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:29 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

-Spaz inherited a team that went to back-to-back ACC Championships so he was expected to keep them competitive. No rebuild required. He failed. yes the team was under .500. but it was 15-16, not 5-26
-Donahue inherited a team with a losing record, no recruits the previous year and then the recruits coming in bailed after Skinner left. The ones originally coming in weren't really great anyway. Two years of no recruits plus inheriting a team that had a losing record is what we call a rebuild (unlike Spaziani).you fail to mention donahue couldn't keep any of them. and I'm pretty sure heslip could have gotten time on any of these past years' teams. actually, no shot he could beat out cahill.
-BC is a football school and actually used to have decent attendance by both students and alumni. BC has a much more accomplished history in football than in basketball (Heisman (Flutie), several bowls in a row, Matty Ice, 1940, 1993, BC-ND rivalry, etc.) this is ridiculous.
-Basketball competes with 300 other schools and each school only needs 7 or 8 decent players to be competitive. Football only has 60-something BCS schools and the non-BCS schools struggle to stay competitive. It should be easier for BC to be in the top half of all FBS teams and therefore go to a Bowl. if thats how were measuring success spaz succeeded right? he got to back to back bowls the first two years. donahue hasn't made it to the ncaa tournament yet.
-Spaz was old and never had been a head coach and nobody wanted him. how in the world does that merit a pass for donahues coaching?
-Donahue had been a head coach and led Cornell to three straight Ivy titles (never done before in their history) and then went to the Sweet 16. Skinner couldn't even go farther than that with all of his ACC talent. it took donahue 8 years to get to the ncaa tournament. it took donahue 7 years to have a winning record...im sure if we gave donahue a decade he could stumble into an ncaa win or two
-The trend for Spaz was down all four years. this is true...but spaz was getting grilled after 15 games...well before we hit rock bottom
-The trend for Donahue is a little more tricky, but if you followed things closely, then you knew there would be a drop off after year 1 and the rebuild would begin in year 2. They were bad in year 2, as expected, and then they improved last year. More improvement will come this year. Therefore the trend is up. maybe year 2 wouldn't have been so bad had he not ran reggie jackson off the team.
-Spaz recruiting was terrible ...
-Donahue's recruiting has been suspect lately, but he has brought in somebody who might be the best player to ever put on a BC uniform (Hanlan) i like hanlan, but no and Gatorade Player of the Year from Cali (Anderson) starz!!!and some nice supporting players - Rahon, Clifford (when healthy) ...and Odio (yes, Odio). These three freshmen may prove to be good players as well. This time last year, tw wanted Daniels over Hanlan in the starting lineup. Not trying to call out tw, but just trying to demonstrate that we don't know what these freshmen can do yet. Unfortunately we won't know about Hicks until next year. And he is supposed to be the best one.
-Spaz was an excuse making machine with a defeatist attitude who almost cried at halftime. ...weve already passed 50 games...
-Donahue, for the most part, doesn't seem to play that card. He has ambition and believes in his system.belief in system does not nor should it warrant a pass. you can be sure spaz had the utmost belief in his system.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12942

this thread reminded me: skinners year 4 he won the big east tournament. just as an fyi.

it also reminded me that in 7 months the BIGBLUEtomato1984BEACON can reignite the BRINGBRUCEPEARL2BC movement!

Agree to disagree. I am not going to waste any more time with the Spaz vs. Donahue argument. Good luck getting Bruce Pearl.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 pm

This one is for Campion: HIRE BRUCE PEARL!!!!!!!!!! :chewbanka
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Not to interrupt this weirdo-fest, but the NY Post reported today that Farrell had an offer from UVA, so maybe he isn't as awful as reported.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Not to interrupt this weirdo-fest, but the NY Post reported today that Farrell had an offer from UVA, so maybe he isn't as awful as reported.

Can you make the reference more specific? I've just searched for most of an hour online and couldn't find anything from the NY Post or anywhere else connecting Farrell and UVA.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:27 pm

shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you; I'd seen that column but had missed the bottom. I'd love to know where they got their information, because I can't find anyone else who connects Farrell with UVA.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 am

Yesterday was LOI Day for basketball.

I find it funny that Don's defenders still talk about the alleged "mess" he inherited because Skinner failed to recruit a single player one year. And yet... here is Don... following the same play book. I wonder how patient they'll be with the next coach, based on the similar-to-worse mess he'll be inheriting.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Yesterday was LOI Day for basketball.

I find it funny that Don's defenders still talk about the alleged "mess" he inherited because Skinner failed to recruit a single player one year. And yet... here is Don... following the same play book. I wonder how patient they'll be with the next coach, based on the similar-to-worse mess he'll be inheriting.

If they have any sense, they'll give him (if he isn't an obvious disaster) four years, which appears to be what Donahue is getting; Donahue himself specified the fourth season as the one by which to judge his performance, and here we are in Year 4 with things not looking good at the beginning. The crucial issue will be the same: can the coach recruit? It would also help if he at least started to do something about the absurd cohort imbalance on the roster, which Skinner created and Donahue has made incrementally worse. The larger question behind hiring the next coach is whether the ruling powers of BC want a serious basketball program, or just a pro forma doormat that will occupy the required space on the conference schedule and (most important) not cause the school any embarrassment (other than on the court).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 am

Skinner didn't create any effing imbalance. Had he not been fired, there were three recruits coming that never came (some of them over 6'4'', which is probably why Don dumped them, who needs height!). The firing of Skinner created an imbalance.

Sanders, Ravenel, Elmore also stay, btw. Al would have been giving out 3 schollies instead of 7
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ravenel..also stay

Not worth :thehjs from either side but the above is at best questionable.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Fair enough, though he showed no indication of leaving pre-Don, and he had just started to play well for Skinner.

Regardless, the point is that the void was created when 6 recruits and players left the program because of the firing/hiring.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:...Donahue himself specified the fourth season as the one by which to judge his performance...

beeker said a lot of things. first it was "don't judge me until x number of games" (don't remember if it was 50 or 100) then it was "don't judge me for 4 years"

what's next "it could get ugly out there"

you h00ps w3ird0s are really something else and I truly wonder who beeker has pictures of that gets him a pass that neither spaz nor skinner received
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:...Donahue himself specified the fourth season as the one by which to judge his performance...

beeker said a lot of things. first it was "don't judge me until x number of games" (don't remember if it was 50 or 100) then it was "don't judge me for 4 years"

you h00ps w3ird0s are really something else and I truly wonder who beeker has pictures of that gets him a pass that neither spaz nor skinner received

Beeker said 50 games after the first season - basically 50 games for the big frosh class. Happened sometime in February.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Beeker said 50 games after the first season - basically 50 games for the big frosh class. Happened sometime in February.

February last year or two years ago? he's at 100 games now (46-54)...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Fair enough, though he showed no indication of leaving pre-Don, and he had just started to play well for Skinner.

Regardless, the point is that the void was created when 6 recruits and players left the program because of the firing/hiring.

Al was fired because he underperformed, so it ultimately is his fault. And Jags'.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The freshman class obviously wasn't on campus when they were high school seniors.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The freshman class obviously wasn't on campus when they were high school seniors.

did he make it clear that the 50 games did NOT include the games without the amazing freshmen that have never beaten Harvard and lost the two shitastic games played so far this year?

I was on hiatus at that point so I don't remember
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

did he make it clear that the 50 games did NOT include the games without the amazing freshmen that have never beaten Harvard and lost the two shitastic games played so far this year?

I was on hiatus at that point so I don't remember

The quote was (paraphrasing) that you have to give the frosh 50 games to figure it out. The whole context was the big incoming class and how long you had to wait to evaluate it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum