the official acc tourney should move to the garden thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

the official acc tourney should move to the garden thread

Postby commavegarage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 pm

http://www.wncn.com/story/21652653/acc- ... n-new-york

i would buy the block every year if this happened.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: the official acc tourney should move to the garden thread

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Anywhere but Greensboro.

I would absolutely go quite often if it's at MSG.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Greensboro sucks

I'd do MSG annually, DC if we were good
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Greensboro sucks

I'd do MSG annually, DC if we were good

this is about right.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Rotate it between NYC, Philly, Charlotte and Atlanta.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rotate it between NYC, Philly, Charlotte and Atlanta.

Huh?
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Greensboro isn't a thriving city or anything but its not as bad as you all make it out to be. You're at the games all day anway
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I guess I'm a bad fan but I'm not sure I'll ever go to greensboro to see the ACC tourney. I'd be at MSG pretty much every year though
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:40 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:I guess I'm a bad fan but I'm not sure I'll ever go to greensboro to see the ACC tourney. I'd be at MSG pretty much every year though

Again try it once before you proclaim its awful. Major fun weekend
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:I guess I'm a bad fan but I'm not sure I'll ever go to greensboro to see the ACC tourney. I'd be at MSG pretty much every year though

I can't say you're wrong, having no evidence by which to judge your assertion, and you may very well be right; however, I feel obliged to point out that one would certainly encounter difficulty in Greensboro if one tried to have fun until 4:00 AM, whereas in New York this presents little or no difficulty (the largest potential problem possibly being that one will pass out before that hour - a solid foundation of food in one's stomach would be helpful in this regard). I can't demonstrate that this is the only or even the most important reason for the popularity of MSG as a tournament venue, but you ought to consider it. One may wonder how much this factor influenced the A-10's decision to bring its conference tournament to Brooklyn(!).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 am

When the ACC Tournament is at Greensboro, what is the Special Events Center Hall C used for? Wikipedia says it seats 5100 (The graphic below indicates capacity is 4500). Seems like that space could be used to host some of the first round games for when the tournament will be 15 teams.

If Greensboro means the entire first round could be played in a single day and MSG or anywhere else means using the horrible double-bye bullshit, I vote Greensboro.

And if the ACC ever gets to the point where they've got 8-9 teams good enough to play in the NCAA tournament and another couple of bubble teams, you could play the ACC tournament in Branson, MO and it would still be awesome. Are you dopes looking to catch a broadway musical or are you looking to watch some sports?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I can't say you're wrong, having no evidence by which to judge your assertion, and you may very well be right; however, I feel obliged to point out that one would certainly encounter difficulty in Greensboro if one tried to have fun until 4:00 AM, whereas in New York this presents little or no difficulty (the largest potential problem possibly being that one will pass out before that hour - a solid foundation of food in one's stomach would be helpful in this regard). I can't demonstrate that this is the only or even the most important reason for the popularity of MSG as a tournament venue, but you ought to consider it. One may wonder how much this factor influenced the A-10's decision to bring its conference tournament to Brooklyn(!).

What's stopping you from going to NYC to drink until 4:00 AM the other 51 weekends of the year?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:56 am

talon {l Wrote}:When the ACC Tournament is at Greensboro, what is the Special Events Center Hall C used for? Wikipedia says it seats 5100 (The graphic below indicates capacity is 4500). Seems like that space could be used to host some of the first round games for when the tournament will be 15 teams.

If Greensboro means the entire first round could be played in a single day and MSG or anywhere else means using the horrible double-bye bullshit, I vote Greensboro.

And if the ACC ever gets to the point where they've got 8-9 teams good enough to play in the NCAA tournament and another couple of bubble teams, you could play the ACC tournament in Branson, MO and it would still be awesome. Are you dopes looking to catch a broadway musical or are you looking to watch some sports?

This
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GlorytoBC on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:40 am

Moving to the ACC Tournament to the Garden would be a huge slap in the face to men like Everett Case, Frank McGuire, Dean Smith, Bones McKinney and Norm Sloan.

I agree that the ACC has outgrown Greensboro. The Greensboro Coliseum is ACC Basketball's version of Legion Field. Its just time to move on.

A rotation of Atlanta, Charlotte and DC works the best.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:59 am

GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:I agree that the ACC has outgrown Greensboro. The Greensboro Coliseum is ACC Basketball's version of Legion Field. Its just time to move on.

A rotation of Atlanta, Charlotte and DC works the best.

Greensboro Coliseum = 23,500 (28,000 if you count Hall C of the S.E.C.)
Philips = 18,238 (5262 fewer seats)
Time Warner = 20,200 (3300 fewer seats)
Verizon = 20,308 (3192 fewer seats)

"The ACC Tournament has outgrown Greensboro, so let's move it to a rotation of smaller arenas!"
Brilliant!
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 am

eepstein's position here confuses me. all his other references to greensboro are that the arena sucks, the city sucks and the tournament needs to move at all costs. why the change of heart?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12577&p=311521&hilit=greensboro&sid=ab929526c37240afd5abff2b3a54f971#p311521

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11129&p=260535&hilit=greensboro&sid=ab929526c37240afd5abff2b3a54f971#p260535
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:eepstein's position here confuses me. all his other references to greensboro are that the arena sucks, the city sucks and the tournament needs to move at all costs. why the change of heart?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12577&p=311521&hilit=greensboro&sid=ab929526c37240afd5abff2b3a54f971#p311521

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11129&p=260535&hilit=greensboro&sid=ab929526c37240afd5abff2b3a54f971#p260535

Had more fun this year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

i guessed you found the naked people places
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:08 am

Kornheiser: "Notre Dame, Syracuse, and BC would sell that place out every year."
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Apparently coming to Brooklyn soon:

http://chapelboro.com/sports/acc/acc-to ... -new-york/

Basketball Tournament Going To New York

By WCHL Sports

Posted December 17, 2013 at 8:10 am

CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first.

The exact year the ACC Tournament will be played in Brooklyn has not been determined, but it will be at the Barclays Center and not Madison Square Garden. The 2014 and 2015 ACC Tournaments will be played in Greensboro. The 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball Tournament will be held at Washington, D.C.’s Verizon Center, the ACC announced November 14.

The 2017-21 tournament sites have not been determined, but one of those years it will be New York and the Barclays Center.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hawaiirob on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

I hope we're good by 2017.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:07 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I hope we're good by 2017.

question is whether that's one new coach from now or two
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:57 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Apparently coming to Brooklyn soon:

By WCHL Sports

CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first.

The exact year the ACC Tournament will be played in Brooklyn has not been determined, but it will be at the Barclays Center and not Madison Square Garden. The 2014 and 2015 ACC Tournaments will be played in Greensboro. The 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball Tournament will be held at Washington, D.C.’s Verizon Center, the ACC announced November 14.

The 2017-21 tournament sites have not been determined, but one of those years it will be New York and the Barclays Center.

Wasn't Rutgers supposed to deliver the NYC market to the Big 10? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:19 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:

By WCHL Sports

Wasn't Rutgers supposed to deliver the NYC market to the Big 10? :ace

brooklyn doesn't count
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 am

i thought it was uconn :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:37 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i thought it was uconn :shrug

HOLY SHIT - UCONN WAS INVITED TO THE BIG 10?!?!?!?! CAN YOU PROVIDE US A LINK, MRS. SEXTSTANDER????
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Hoopsnerd on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm

By WCHL Sports

:chewbanka :chewbanka :chewbanka :banana :banana :angrychicken :chewbanka :chewbanka :angrychicken :chewbanka :chewbanka :chewbanka :elephant :chewbanka :chewbanka :chewbanka :chewbanka
Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
Hoopsnerd
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:52 am

Confirmed :shrug

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... nter-2017/

ACC finalizing details to play its tournament at Barclays Center

NEW YORK -- The Atlantic Coast Conference is finalizing details for a multi-year agreement to play its postseason tournament at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The details are expected to be completed by the end of the month, according to multiple sources.

The ACC desires a two-year agreement that could start as early as 2017, the next uncommitted year for the ACC Tournament. (The ACC plays in Greensboro in 2015 and in Washington DC in 2016).

The looming issue with playing at the Barclays Center in 2017 is the Atlantic 10 Tournament, as 2017 is the final installment of the A-10's five-year agreement with the Barclays Center. The details of how the ACC and A-10 will navigate that have not been finalized and are expected to be discussed in the Atlantic 10's presidents and athletic directors meetings on Friday morning.

The ACC's move to New York has been viewed within the conference as inevitable, as it's expected that the league will rotate through New York and North Carolina locations after 2017. (Maryland's departure to the Big Ten makes Washington DC a less natural place to hold the tournament.)

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East. (The Garden is considered the Big East's best asset.)

That left the ACC with the Barclays Center as its top option to give the league a presence in New York with its conference tournament. (The Barclays Center has also been in conversations with the Big Ten). While The Garden has more history and a Manhattan location, multiple ACC administrators stressed that they will not have an inferior venue.

"It wasn't Madison Square Garden or else," said an official at an ACC school. "People are enthralled with the Barclays Center. If The Garden is locked up, so be it. I don't think it's a warm up act. It's a hell of a facility."

Within the ACC, the move is viewed as a marriage of the best league in college basketball with the country's most prominent city and media market. Especially considering the ACC's recent northern expansion, with the addition of Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame this season, the move to host the tournament in New York City has been considered a natural transition.

While the ACC's traditional roots are on Tobacco Road, the league's members came to a decision that expanding its reach to bigger markets is a must. The ACC is balancing its past and future by honoring its North Carolina roots by holding the tournament there and rotating it through New York as a sign of its expansion and increased national presence.

According to one source, the feeling among ACC coaches about playing in New York is overwhelmingly positive. Both Notre Dame coach Mike Brey and Syracuse coach Jim Boehiem lobbied hard for New York both privately and publicly. Behind the scenes, Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina Coach Roy Williams have been more bullish about the move to New York than they've let on publicly. Both programs have played games in New York in recent seasons and seen the power it can have with reaching alumni, media and as a recruiting tool. But they've chosen their words carefully, as to not offend their local fan bases.

The ACC's move to Barclays sets the stage for some fascinating college basketball theatre in New York, potentially drawing the college basketball spotlight away from Madison Square Garden. The ACC now includes former Big East stalwarts Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville and Boston College, which all have strong alumni bases in the New York area and are accustomed to traveling to New York for postseason tournaments.

When the ACC and Big East run congruently, it would pit two of the top leagues, cable giants ESPN and Fox and historic Madison Square Garden and the new-age Barclays Center.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... z2vwOPVW67
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eaglecaddy on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Bullying the A-10 out of Brooklyn is kind of funny:

The ACC tournament will be held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2017-18 after the Atlantic 10 agreed to move out of its contract a year early, it was officially announced Wednesday.

The A-10 agreed to the deal in exchange for a three-year commitment to hold its tournament at Barclays beginning in 2019 and annual nonconference doubleheaders between ACC and A-10 teams.

The Barclays Center will host the nonconference doubleheaders between ACC and A-10 teams, likely in December. The doubleheaders would start in the 2015-16 season and there would be one per year.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Does the A10 go to the Rock or the Swamp or back to the Shore?
talon
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum