Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For all the serious Interwebbing hoops weirdos, let me make myself clearer. The fan support is pretty much reflective of the product on the floor.

Now resume seriousness.

Seriousness resumed in earnest:

No. Skinner's third year, which happened to be my freshman year was coming off a 6-21 season and had identical total win totals and conference win totals to this years team. There was never a crowd as embarrassing as last nights. The nerds are worse than ever. This cannot be denied.

First, this thread is an abortion.

Second, during the 6-21 season there were crowds that didn't seem to have more than five hundo present.

Third, that changed abruptly when Skinner's 00-01 team pulled a worst to first turnaround.

Fourthly, while I'd like to believe that could happen next year, I won't predict because (a) it doesn't seem likely; and (b) I don't want to be accused of shoehorning.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Before I even saw Hanlan and Rahon play, I thought this was a just under .500 conference team and an NIT team. Having seen those two and watching the product that is actually on the floor right now, they should be even better than that in this conference.

but I think this is true. if you do that horrible thing where you turn close losses into wins, (we'll say for example, they hung on to beat #2 Duke, #3 Miami, NC State, Wake Forest and BRYANT), you got a team that is 16-8 and 8-3 in conference with wins over two Top 3 teams and a win over a good NC State team on your resume. this team is close -- so close. they need one big man and one guard.

FWIW, BC is 4-7 in games decided by 5 points or less this year. While I think just looking at that stat is not a good indicator of whether something is a good result (is a 2 point OT win over UNH better than a 1 point loss to Duke?), I do think that this stuff should generally more or less even out. If BC had two more wins (say Bryant and Miami), I think that does have a noticeable change in how this season is perceived. I won't get into whether this poor record in close games is an indictment of the Don or not as I genuinely have no idea.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

The assistants, although nice guys, are in miles over their heads. Id keep Waheed and maybe Nat Graham and chuck the rest.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I continue to think it is insane to think that this athletic department will fire the guy after next year almost regardless of results.

Why?

Short version because I'm on phone spaz and priests.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For all the serious Interwebbing hoops weirdos, let me make myself clearer. The fan support is pretty much reflective of the product on the floor.

Now resume seriousness.

Seriousness resumed in earnest:

No. Skinner's third year, which happened to be my freshman year was coming off a 6-21 season and had identical total win totals and conference win totals to this years team. There was never a crowd as embarrassing as last nights. The nerds are worse than ever. This cannot be denied.

First, this thread is an abortion.

Second, during the 6-21 season there were crowds that didn't seem to have more than five hundo present.

Third, that changed abruptly when Skinner's 00-01 team pulled a worst to first turnaround.

Fourthly, while I'd like to believe that could happen next year, I won't predict because (a) it doesn't seem likely; and (b) I don't want to be accused of shoehorning.

First, this forum and arguably the entire board is a pre-1973 back alley job.

Second, the 6-21 season predates me by a year, the next year was hardly good crowds but student attendance was never, ever like Wake this week. I do think they used to sit the band behind one of the baskets and push students to the other side until it filled. I have no idea why they don't do this anymore for optics.

Third, yes truly good without qualification student attendance began after the UConn win. It is my belief that the current nerds would require more to be awakened from playing Harry Pussy Butthole Potter.

Fourth, (a) you may be right and (b) you are shoehorning an argument that is not shoehorning into the shoehorning concern discussion.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I continue to think it is insane to think that this athletic department will fire the guy after next year almost regardless of results.

Why?

Who were you on the phone with?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Why?

Short version because I'm on phone, your mom.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:45 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Why?

And you criticize other people's 1980's style insults?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Why?

Sometimes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 am

According to Eric Hoffses on EA, Rubin was -11 in the Wake game.

Depth.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:its all comes down to winning and looking good doing it:

hockey does it, attendance is through the roof, beanpot records, expanded student section on a permanent basis etc.
basketball does neither, attendance is putrid.
football used to and the student section would be packed and loud. now it doesnt and youd be lucky to see a half full student section towards the end of the year.

its not that complicated.

At the end of the day I agree that winning will increase attendance, but it should never, ever be this bad. In many ways the chicken vs. egg thing is very real between our awful administration and our awful fans.

Can it really be entirely on the program to reach a level of success before anyone shows up even though it is not like this - without exaggeration - in 90+% other BCS conference programs in major sports?

its this bad because 1. we havent played exciting ball in years and 2. this'll be a full 4 year rotation without an ncaa tournament bid. meaning this graduating class will have come and gone without seeing one tournament game and will have seen only one exciting player.

i didnt think it could be this bad, but when you haven't won a tournament game since march 2007, when most of the seniors didnt even have their drivers licenses and freshman were still in middle school, an understandable mailaise of sorts sets in.

and this nerds excuse is bullshit. if they hated sports why does hockey have no problem getting thousands of students every game?

only 1 exciting player?

Fans go to sporting events for different reasons. Being in attendance =/= loves sports just like not being in attendance =/= hating sports.

if you are not a 1st round draft pick, the nerds can't be bothered to go watch you play. Harry Pussy Butthole Potter.

It's hard to compete against a guy with a Lighning Bolt on his forehead. That's just awesomeness!
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Why?

Sometimes.

I disagree with Teddy. "Your mom" is a timeless response. I LOL'D.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

this is just because teddy has a cleaning lady to keep his balls perfectly clean and you are put out by him not needing your services

ps - the cleaning lady is not padme portman
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum