Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bluefishskip {l Wrote}:Way to show some poise and come back from being down 7 late in the game and win. Not their best game for sure, but they found a way, which to me is a bigger measure for this game then the fact that they did not play as well as they could.

Not sure why/how BC was supposed to throttle Wake Forest. Both teams had similar Scoring Offenses and Scoring Defenses in conference play. Game had some similarities to when these teams matched up the first time, with a game of runs (particularly in the first half) and Wake Forest giving up a lead late (BC came back from double digits down in the 2nd half at Wake to cut it to 1 late). BC "should" win this game at home, but they have not throttled anyone in conference (besides the first 30 minutes vs. Clemson). Would this have been a "bad" loss? In terms of what? Because they should "throttle" Wake Forest? Part of Wake Forest's problem is poise on the road. It's easy to lose your poise when you are on the road, the home team puts a mini run together, and the crowd starts to go crazy. There was no crowd for this game. Wake has been throttled by good teams on the road. BC (and it's Conte Ghosts) are not there yet. This was just as easily a neutral site game.

As for the game....thought Hanlan was forcing a lot of things in the first half, and early in the 2nd when he was driving to the hoop. Passing was sloppy at times, and the ability to make an off-hand layup (Rubin and Jackson both missing bunnies on left handed layups), those things can improve. Defensively, the team needs to buy in and get tough for 40 minutes on the defensive end. They got tough in the final 2 minutes.

The offense has improved from last year to this year by 8 points per game in conference play. BC is averaging 65 PPG this year, which is good for 5th in the conference. 4th place is 6 points ahead of BC, and the top 4 all have winning records in conference. I think the 65 PPG will improve with additional depth and confidence from playing with one another next year. Defensively, though, they are getting worse. 68.2 PPG allowed last year, 70.1 this year. Need to get Clifford healthy and be able to play 30 MPG next year, and get one of the handful of guards to become a defensive stopper on the top opponent.

Overall, nice to see a win tonight. Saturday at Florida State....a lot of similarities to BC on the statistical end. Team has trouble scoring at times, but if the game is close, look out for Michael Snaer, who has 3 buzzer-beating game winners this year already.

A win is a win, and I will take it, but this team still stinks.

No, they don't.

You have low standards. If they don't stink, they're doing it wrong. 3-8.

No, I predict improvement occurring year to year, you assume stagnation. I will care about results uber alles in the years results matter, namely the next two, I have been consistent about this outside of frustration points. At the beginning of the season I was hoping for a closer to .500 overall record, but the number is mostly irrelevant within reason because of all the Moral Victories!!!.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:And people wonder why we can't recruit...Jesus christ...most high schools have a better atmosphere.

Most high schools have better teams.

no
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:And people wonder why we can't recruit...Jesus christ...most high schools have a better atmosphere.

no

dammit 14 year old, that is my gimmick and not only that I did it already.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

I was almost certain no was a word, not a gimmick. and you said something else. and you stink.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

I didn't realize that he took his Interwebbing so seriously. You must be his role model.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'd just like to point out that this is neither good snark nor good analysis. Please aim for at least one if not both in future posts.

You're the expert on bad snark and bad analysis so I will defer to you.

I will attempt to illustrate the quality of this retort with a comparative retort from a time when people who wear only one strap of their back packs can understand:

Your... Your brain has the shell on it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 am

For all the serious Interwebbing hoops weirdos, let me make myself clearer. The fan support is pretty much reflective of the product on the floor.

Now resume seriousness.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 am

sarcasm and dry humor is my schtick. that's been established for years. please don't get that confused with seriousness.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

I was almost certain no was a word, not a gimmick. and you said something else. and you stink.

I hope your proactiv gets delivered to the wrong house right before prom.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'd just like to point out that this is neither good snark nor good analysis. Please aim for at least one if not both in future posts.

You're the expert on bad snark and bad analysis so I will defer to you.

I will attempt to illustrate the quality of this retort with a comparative retort from a time when people who wear only one strap of their back packs can understand:

Your... Your brain has the shell on it.

You're struggling at struggling today. Normally it comes so naturally to you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:sarcasm and dry humor is my schtick. that's been established for years.

No.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I don't know if attendance was the reason Skinner was fired, it certainly was mentioned here and on the predecessor board. Personally, I no longer believe winning will cure our fan ills. The students suck too much. Just my opinion. Nerds. Also nice strangely thrown race card, you're the coolest.

Some how these nerds broke a student ticket request record at the garden for the beanpot a couple of weeks ago.

This program hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since half of the student body was in elementary school. Obviously if i was still a student id go but I also waste hours everyday on bc message boards
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For all the serious Interwebbing hoops weirdos, let me make myself clearer. The fan support is pretty much reflective of the product on the floor.

Now resume seriousness.

Seriousness resumed in earnest:

No. Skinner's third year, which happened to be my freshman year was coming off a 6-21 season and had identical total win totals and conference win totals to this years team. There was never a crowd as embarrassing as last nights. The nerds are worse than ever. This cannot be denied.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:sarcasm and dry humor is my schtick. that's been established for years.

No.

you're supposed to leave the n lowercase. the period is optional. the idea is to put the least amount of effort into the statement possible while utterly rejecting their tom foolery. and you can't even do that right with a two letter word like "no." what are you, new?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I don't know if attendance was the reason Skinner was fired, it certainly was mentioned here and on the predecessor board. Personally, I no longer believe winning will cure our fan ills. The students suck too much. Just my opinion. Nerds. Also nice strangely thrown race card, you're the coolest.

Some how these nerds broke a student ticket request record at the garden for the beanpot a couple of weeks ago.

This program hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since half of the student body was in elementary school. Obviously if i was still a student id go but I also waste hours everyday on bc message boards

So its not just winning we need, its national championship expectations? Got it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

So its not just winning we need, its national championship expectations? Got it.

That's what you got from that?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No.

you're supposed to leave the n lowercase. the period is optional. the idea is to put the least amount of effort into the statement possible while utterly rejecting their tom foolery. and you can't even do that right with a two letter word like "no." what are you, new?

I was just giving it a test run, to see if it made me feel as clever as you think it makes you feel. I'll get the hang of it, I promise.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

i hope your rogaine gets delivered to your house and your children see it and laugh.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No.

I was just giving it a test run, to see if it made me feel as clever as you think it makes you feel. I'll get the hang of it, I promise.

don't bother, just resume your usual air of superiority and we'll all just play along. also, you stink too.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

i hope your rogaine gets delivered to your house and your children see it and laugh.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No.

don't bother, just resume your usual air of superiority and we'll all just play along. also, you stink too.

If you were playing along, you would have realized it had never been interrupted.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not just from that, but as I said in the post right below your last one, my freshman year was almost identical to the current BC basketball season in terms of expectations, wins and losses, previous year, new coach etc. We never had a fan turnout like last night. Then you point out that the beanpot was packed. My retort is that the nerds can take a few hours removed from O'Neill to support the defending championship hockey team but are not going to watch basketball unless it is a truly special season and that sucks. It's more than winning and it makes it harder to get to winning.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No.

If you were playing along, you would have realized it had never been interrupted.

let's be serious, armageddon couldn't interrupt it.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

This was pretty good, I probably would have gone with an ED medication, but Rogaine works too. Did you have some kind of major medical procedure between your kb25 posting career and your current iteration?

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am

attendance will get better when the team gets better. midweek games against wake forest, virginia tech and miami will be more lightly attended.

as for this team, it's hard for me to really care about wins and losses when I figured the season was a wash from the beginning. I think this team has played most of its games at a higher level than last year, which is good, but not a ton to show for it except for moral victories.

I want to get gross and say "this team is better than its record" but it's only off the pythagorean expectation by a little less than a game in the win column, so I'll just leave it at that.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Not just from that, but as I said in the post right below your last one, my freshman year was almost identical to the current BC basketball season in terms of expectations, wins and losses, previous year, new coach etc. We never had a fan turnout like last night. Then you point out that the beanpot was packed. My retort is that the nerds can take a few hours removed from O'Neill to support the defending championship hockey team but are not going to watch basketball unless it is a truly special season and that sucks. It's more than winning and it makes it harder to get to winning.

Attendance in 08 was good, if I remember correctly, and there were no national championship aspirations. I think the addition of ND, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt will do good things for attendance (but probably bad things for the W-L)
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Attendance in 08 was good, if I remember correctly, and there were no national championship aspirations. I think the addition of ND, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt will do good things for attendance (but probably bad things for the W-L)

I would posit that the current student body is a much worse group than those in 08 which is a much worse group than 4 years prior and you can keep doing that for a couple more 4 year periods.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

This was pretty good, I probably would have gone with an ED medication, but Rogaine works too. Did you have some kind of major medical procedure between your kb25 posting career and your current iteration?

speaking of medical procedures, have you gotten your vasectomy yet? or do they just kind of euthanize you after you get past a certain age?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:10 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

no

speaking of medical procedures, have you gotten your vasectomy yet? or do they just kind of euthanize you after you get past a certain age?

eh, now you're doubling down on the same theme too much, loses something, bored.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum