NC State Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NC State Game

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:We used to have a coach that could win in a superconference with under recruited guys. Hopefully this guy will show that he can reach that level.

It's too bad that guy hasn't existed since 2006.

You keep telling me that. Reggie Jackson.

Who absolutely sucked under Skinner and was revived by Donahue.

This could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted.

Yea, that's not accurate. But he developed well under the Don.

Sometimes. When he wasn't pissing off the Don with his stubborness.

In a video with the Thunder Reggie said that the bost moment of his career was meeting Steve Donahue.

Don made a Reggie a star and a first-round draft pick. In Al Skinner's system Reggie was woefully out of place and was wasting his potential.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Oh, and evidently Purvis and Warren are better based on how great the hoops weirdos think NCSU is.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Heckmann and Jackson are legit ACC role players. That's just the end of it. Hanlan, Rahon, Anderson, Clifford are legit ACC starters, and Heck and Lonnie are legit ACC role players. Everyone else on the roster? Not so much. Odio has made strides and I think he can be serviceable if:
A) he sticks to the PF position, he will be serviceable by senior year.
B) if he develops a shot and can put in time at the 3 (again, by senior year).
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 pm

I'd like to see what Suliamon could do with 40 mins a game, too.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:We used to have a coach that could win in a superconference with under recruited guys. Hopefully this guy will show that he can reach that level.

In a video with the Thunder Reggie said that the bost moment of his career was meeting Steve Donahue.

Don made a Reggie a star and a first-round draft pick. In Al Skinner's system Reggie was woefully out of place and was wasting his potential.

Reggie Jackson was notorious for not listening to the Don and even was benched as a result. Your premise is idiotic.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:BTW, i bet we surpass the vaunted 11-19 record that coach handsome reached in 1999 this year, with a team with a great freshman guard and no big man depth.

Glad we are aiming high. Let me know when we can bet on making the tourney 5 years in a row with a straight face.

You are going to HJSian levels of disingenuity. You say we are not making acceptable progress, then you say or imply that the last coach was satisfactory, but you discount the nearly identical progress. 1997 Skinner wins a little bit with JOB's player, 1998 Skinner has a miserable awful season with a mostly empty roster, 1999 Skinner's team shows progress but isn't ready yet. Other than having the benefit of hindsight for one and not the other the progress looks strikingly similar. Very few people would have bet on 5 straight tournament appearances on January 6, 2000.

So what you're saying is that the Don landed Troy Bell in this year's class?

No, but I think the combination of Hanlan, Rahon, Anderson and supporting cast could get you somewhere similar to where Bell, Sidney, Agbai and supporting cast did.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Reggie Jackson was notorious for not listening to the Don and even was benched as a result. Your premise is idiotic.

He was benched for one game and was an All-ACC first team player. He still supports BC and the Don openly. If they argued as much as you said Reggie would want the Don out and Reggie wouldn't play as much as he did.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Heckmann and Jackson are legit ACC role players. That's just the end of it. Hanlan, Rahon, Anderson, Clifford are legit ACC starters, and Heck and Lonnie are legit ACC role players. Everyone else on the roster? Not so much. Odio has made strides and I think he can be serviceable if:

Jackson for 10-15 minutes a night is good. For 30-35 minutes a night it's a disaster. Need Jorgensen for next year.

For what it's worth Heckmann is gone after this year anyway. Owens, Drago can fill his minutes fine.

Lastly, if we're banking on Dragevich being the savior, we're screwed. He's a good shooter, that's about it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Heckmann and Jackson are legit ACC role players. That's just the end of it. Hanlan, Rahon, Anderson, Clifford are legit ACC starters, and Heck and Lonnie are legit ACC role players. Everyone else on the roster? Not so much. Odio has made strides and I think he can be serviceable if:

Jackson for 10-15 minutes a night is good. For 30-35 minutes a night it's a disaster. Need Jorgensen for next year.

For what it's worth Heckmann is gone after this year anyway. Owens, Drago can fill his minutes fine.

Lastly, if we're banking on Dragevich being the savior, we're screwed. He's a good shooter, that's about it.

He's a great shooter, more consistent than Heckmann and that's all we need.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Is Heckmann gone more than speculation? I'd be more worried (both because it would actually be a loss and because it would be more like he'd actually make some decent $) if he consistently contributed this season. I'd imagine a BC degree holds much less cache to a German guy who is not going to live here, but I still don't think an early pro decision is a foregone conclusion.

I think Jackson is fine in his current role with some exceptions his minutes are not a disaster. He does have the most flaws of any starter though and if Jorgensen is legit it would certainly be an upgrade.

Drage- is depth not a savior. We need depth.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Thoroughly enjoying the argument overstatement by both sides. Carry on.

:popcorn
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Is Heckmann gone more than speculation? I'd be more worried (both because it would actually be a loss and because it would be more like he'd actually make some decent $) if he consistently contributed this season. I'd imagine a BC degree holds much less cache to a German guy who is not going to live here, but I still don't think an early pro decision is a foregone conclusion.

I think Jackson is fine in his current role with some exceptions his minutes are not a disaster. He does have the most flaws of any starter though and if Jorgensen is legit it would certainly be an upgrade.

Drago will likely start next year, or at least be the 6th man.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I've heard it's more than speculation that Heckmann will not stay. He's still undecided.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

tw could not be more correct. you say our freshman look so good bc theyre the only ones in the acc getting 35 a night. doesnt make them the best. hoops weirdos have such a distorted view of reality. clifford averaged 9/5 last year. hes averaging 5/5 this season. lets calm down about crowning him as a legit acc starter.

and how about lonnie jackson improves his shooting to above 1 out of 3 before we crown him a definite acc role player. if lonnie jackson was on duke hed be getting 5 minutes every other game. and give me a break on heckman.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm

and people who think/thought reggie and donahue got along could not be more mistaken.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:tw could not be more correct. you say our freshman look so good bc theyre the only ones in the acc getting 35 a night. doesnt make them the best. hoops weirdos have such a distorted view of reality. clifford averaged 9/5 last year. hes averaging 5/5 this season. lets calm down about crowning him as a legit acc starter.

and how about lonnie jackson improves his shooting to above 1 out of 3 before we crown him a definite acc role player. if lonnie jackson was on duke hed be getting 5 minutes every other game. and give me a break on heckman.

Rahon and Hanlan are holding their own against upperclassmen starters as freshman. It is entirely possible that many other ACC freshman who are blocked could do the same, but Rahon and Hanlan have and I believe will continue to do so. Plus outside of numbers, watching them play tells me they are good with all-acc not out of the question at some point for either.

Clifford is hurt and his limited minutes hurt his numbers but he looks like a decent contributor when he plays, moreover to add some perspective, his freshman 9 and 5 which you dismiss, is better than Uka Agbai's freshman year 6 and 5 and sophomore year 9 and 4, is better than Nasty Nate ever did in a season even his senior year where he was OK, it is better than any of Oates, Williams or McClains freshman or sophomore years (although they split minutes), and its better than Southern ever averaged. Out of centers from the Skinner era, Williams junior year and Agbai's junior and senior year are the only better performances statistically, unless you want to count Smith as a center.

Jackson is a limited player and is having a bad shooting season, but one which has improved since an awful beginning. I don't know why the people who say he's a bad shooter refuse to look at his .399 2011 season on 143 attempts though. For perspective he had 5 less 3s made than Pierre Jackson from Baylor on the same exact amount of attempts. That is not bad and it did happen.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Commave has absolutely no idea what he is talking about with Reggie Jackson. I don't want to get into the whole story, in fact I think I have already shared bits and pieces of it, but this is one area where my sources are pretty good.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Commave has absolutely no idea what he is talking about with Reggie Jackson. I don't want to get into the whole story, in fact I think I have already shared bits and pieces of it, but this is one area where my sources are pretty good.

im not wrong on these things. ask anyone here that isn't a weirdo.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Commave has absolutely no idea what he is talking about with Reggie Jackson. I don't want to get into the whole story, in fact I think I have already shared bits and pieces of it, but this is one area where my sources are pretty good.

Whether he and Don played X-box together after practice or had a Spaz-Rogers moment in the clubhouse really doesn't matter because the origin of this sub-argument, that Jackson stunk before Donahue got to BC is patently incorrect.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Whether he and Don played X-box together after practice or had a Spaz-Rogers moment in the clubhouse really doesn't matter because the origin of this sub-argument, that Jackson stunk before Donahue got to BC is patently incorrect.

this is correct.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 pm

to add to the Jackson equation. The subtraction of Rakim's 10.3 often terrible field goal attempts per game from 2009-2010 likely had as much of a positive effect on Jackson's game as Donahue.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Jackson was not terrible under Skinner but he got better across the board under Donahue. Donahue did pretty good things with a 15-16 team that lost its second best player.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 pm

This thread now sucks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This thread now sucks.

This post is about 4 hours late.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

He was benched for one game and was an All-ACC first team player. He still supports BC and the Don openly. If they argued as much as you said Reggie would want the Don out and Reggie wouldn't play as much as he did.

Your premise that is retarded is that he was a bad player under Al or that Don somehow made him something that he wasn't already. People's memories suck.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Your premise that is retarded is that he was a bad player under Al or that Don somehow made him something that he wasn't already. People's memories suck.

Reggie shot 27% and 29% in two seasons under Al from three point range. He then shot 42% under the Don. You can argue the reasons" but he was definitely something the last season that he was not previously, a complete scorer from all areas of he floor.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Anyone else having trouble figuring out who is reacting to whom? I started by thinking commavegarage thinking this was a bad effort that he was disappointed in was ridiculous, but there are also polyannas who are thrilled as a pig in shit by a near win to an ACC team and maybe he was responding to that?

It's hard to stay with reality, which is that we don't know what this team is yet, when one group is declaring success (as opposed to improvement, which is beyond argument) and another is declaring failure.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:51 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Reggie shot 27% and 29% in two seasons under Al from three point range. He then shot 42% under the Don. You can argue the reasons" but he was definitely something the last season that he was not previously, a complete scorer from all areas of he floor.

Yep. The following statements are true:

1) Reggie did not suck in the 2008-2009 season;
2) Reggie improved significantly between the 2008-2009 season and the 2010-2011 season.

Everything else is arguable, especially the role of Donahue in he improvement.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yep. The following statements are true:

1) Reggie did not suck in the 2008-2009 season;
2) Reggie improved significantly between the 2008-2009 season and the 2010-2011 season.

Everything else is arguable, especially the role of Donahue in he improvement.

Reggie also went from about a 43% overall shooter to a 50% shooter his final year at BC. And from 73-74% to 80% at the stripe. He improved markedly that last year. Probably a combination of natural improvement arc for a great player and the more open system under Don, but Reggie would have not have been an NBA draft pick without that huge jump in his last season. Part of it could quite well have been Don's coaching.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:19 pm

[stands up, puts down scotch glass, pulls out monocle, huffs on monocle, polishes monocle with handkerchief, examines monocle at arm's length, puts monocle back in, looks out window, puts thumbs in suspenders, clears throat, straightens bowler hat]

"Hoops weirdos are weird indeed."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum