NC State Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NC State Game

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:CAG is doing a solid job trolling the hoops weirdos.

Your(collective your) view of yesterday and this season all depends on expectations and whether you are predetermined to want to view Donahue as showing signs of success or not. NC State was a team that absolutely destroyed us last year, twice. Richard Howell and CJ Leslie looked like they were playing against a bunch of grade school kids. Scott Wood had nothing but open looks the both nights. It was hideous. This year the best frontcourt player was wearing maroon and gold. The game was competitive throughout. To me I can actually see the tournament as a possibility with this lineup maybe as soon as next year. The team, right now, has obvious depth issues (I would note that the 2000-2005 teams only played 8 players regularly as well). It is no secret that there are at best 8 guys on the team (I'm counting Van Nest as a maybe because of the concussion even though he hasn't played in 4 games) that can play more than absolutely miniscule minutes without causing a swing in game momentum. Next year we will lose none due to normal circumstances (Heck might go euro pro or something) and gain at least 1 in Drage-whatever and maybe 2 or more depending on how the class turns out.

I know some people hate this rebuilding process. They either believe, or pretend to believe that Skinner was going to return to the kind of success he achieved pre-2006. Therefore, they believe that starting from scratch was a waste of two or more seasons of basketball. Personally, I love rebuilds. I despise stagnation. I'm not sure I think Skinner was completely plateaued (or declining) and we will never really know. Right now though, I don't really care because I think the new direction has a pretty high upside and that is interesting to me. I don't discount the possibility of a collapse though as the ACC schedule gets going.

Several points:

1) Agreeing with TWB here. I was sitting there thinking, is this really the preseason best in the ACC? Went to the alumni event pregame and Huckaby said Leslie is a lottery pick. Granted the NBA isn't really basketball but looks like he'll be the 1st rounder that never sees beyond his rookie contract. NC St. is once again incredibly overrated. Edit: Him making excuses for the crowd sucking (it wasn't bad at all) for the reason he got dominated and airballed a FT? Only reaffirmed my thought.

2) I don't mind the short rotation but the 7/8 need to be better than an injured Clifford and Odio going forward. Hence the questions of Donahue recruiting. Let's even say Drago is as good as Donahue said, we still need some size. A 7' with knee issues concerns me going forward and Caudill isn't the answer.

3) Agree with the building process. Isn't and wasn't going to happen overnight. My concern is that the ACC is getting much much better in the next couple of years. 18 games with 2 automatically against Cuse, ND each add in Ville for MD this conf is going to be excellent.
Last edited by claver2010 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And the love for a BC squad that played a little bit better than their normal terrible performance on a night that a talented but mediocre team played really poorly is kind of sad. Commave is completely correct and getting crucified because the hoops weirdos are way overrating NCSU and their miserable performance. NCSU plays like that all season, they go .500 in the conference at best.

People like you are the reason BC doesn't deserve a good basketball team. It's also the reason why recruits don't want to play here. Congratulations.

You aren't old enough to remember when BC actually had a good basketball team. Those of us that are can think that what is going on at BC is an embarrassment. Good fans don't bullshit themselves and try to put lipstick on a pig.

I wasn't, but this isn't Al Skinner. This isn't his team. This team completely rebuilt starting last year. 95% of the scoring runs through FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORES. We start a TRUE FRESHMAN backcourt. This was their first ACC game EVER. Sure, NC State didn't play well, but BC didn't play well either and they will play much better than that as conference play goes on.

Heckmann won't shoot 1-7
Hanlan won't get 3 fouls in the first half and have to sit out a third of the game.
Clifford will get healthier

NC State is a really good team, but don't dwell on the past and expect a tournament run this year because unless named Kentucky or Duke, it just doesn't happen.

I'm so sick of everyone expecting this team to play like experienced ACC players when they just aren't. Be patient and watch them grow because next year they are going to the tournament.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And the love for a BC squad that played a little bit better than their normal terrible performance on a night that a talented but mediocre team played really poorly is kind of sad. Commave is completely correct and getting crucified because the hoops weirdos are way overrating NCSU and their miserable performance. NCSU plays like that all season, they go .500 in the conference at best.

come on.

Whether it was a really badd off night or they just aren't good, the NCSU team that I watched last night is not going anywhere.

Is that really relevant to the conversation though? We played essentially the same team (minus deshawn painter and c.j. williams, plus purvis) with the same coach that we got demolished by twice last year (the team that went to the sweet 16 and lost to the national championship runners up). This years BC team is very far ahead of where it was against the same competition. Gottfried, who I don't think is as bad as you do, is a constant through both years.

I will say that I have as much of an issue with the weirdos acting as if losing to NC State by 5 is an accomplishment in and of itself outside of the context of a benchmark of improvement though. But to say you were disappointed by losing to NC State by 5, in the fashion it occurred, seems like you either haven't paid attention since 2009 or are trolling the weirdos.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 am

I can see the talent and have long term expectations (I was one of the most optimistic people on this board) and still acknowledge that this team is WAY behind schedule and thus far, this season has been am epic disappointment. The more I watch this team, the less excited I am about the next couple of seasons. Unless Drago is the real deal, they will have all the same problems next year. It is sad that they have not been addressed.

On that note, we were just talking about how much the FT shooting improved over Al, and BOOM, ft shooting costs us a game. And I am not talking about the one Heckmann missed, although ESPN has been highlighting that on the ticker all morning.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:33 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:CAG is doing a solid job trolling the hoops weirdos.

Your(collective your) view of yesterday and this season all depends on expectations and whether you are predetermined to want to view Donahue as showing signs of success or not. NC State was a team that absolutely destroyed us last year, twice. Richard Howell and CJ Leslie looked like they were playing against a bunch of grade school kids. Scott Wood had nothing but open looks the both nights. It was hideous. This year the best frontcourt player was wearing maroon and gold. The game was competitive throughout. To me I can actually see the tournament as a possibility with this lineup maybe as soon as next year. The team, right now, has obvious depth issues (I would note that the 2000-2005 teams only played 8 players regularly as well). It is no secret that there are at best 8 guys on the team (I'm counting Van Nest as a maybe because of the concussion even though he hasn't played in 4 games) that can play more than absolutely miniscule minutes without causing a swing in game momentum. Next year we will lose none due to normal circumstances (Heck might go euro pro or something) and gain at least 1 in Drage-whatever and maybe 2 or more depending on how the class turns out.

I know some people hate this rebuilding process. They either believe, or pretend to believe that Skinner was going to return to the kind of success he achieved pre-2006. Therefore, they believe that starting from scratch was a waste of two or more seasons of basketball. Personally, I love rebuilds. I despise stagnation. I'm not sure I think Skinner was completely plateaued (or declining) and we will never really know. Right now though, I don't really care because I think the new direction has a pretty high upside and that is interesting to me. I don't discount the possibility of a collapse though as the ACC schedule gets going.

Several points:

1) Agreeing with TWB here. I was sitting there thinking, is this really the preseason best in the ACC? Went to the alumni event pregame and Huckaby said Leslie is a lottery pick. Granted the NBA isn't really basketball but looks like he'll be the 1st rounder that never sees beyond his rookie contract. NC St. is once again incredibly overrated. Edit: Him making excuses for the crowd sucking (it wasn't bad at all) for the reason he got dominated and airballed a FT? Only reaffirmed my thought.

see above, I believe the positivity from the result is relative to the result against the same team last year not due to them being predicted to be good this year. Although, I think they will win 20+ games and could make a nice tournament run.

2) I don't mind the short rotation but the 7/8 need to be better than an injured Clifford and Odio going forward. Hence the questions of Donahue recruiting. Let's even say Drago is as good as Donahue said, we still need some size. A 7' with knee issues concerns me going forward and Caudill isn't the answer.

I agree with this, but at the same time am encouraged that we can play small as effectively as we have. Clifford's healthy knees would make this a completely different team and I agree that no one on the roster is close to an adequate fill in.

3) Agree with the building process. Isn't and wasn't going to happen overnight. My concern is that the ACC is getting much much better in the next couple of years. 18 games with 2 automatically against Cuse, ND each add in Ville for MD this conf is going to be excellent.

while I agree, what can be done? We could have Cooley recruiting top 150 players and losing games with horrendous coaching? I think Donahue has shown some great glimpses of talent evaluation, Hanlan and Rahon and Anderson are all homeruns. He's also swung and missed badly on the Moton over Cotton (unbelievably horrible although probably no long term consequences), and I'm not sure whether I think the need for bodies mitigates the Daniels, Odio, Caudill portion of the 2011 class. He is in my eyes a pretty good coach, although I have some concerns about his stubborness. We need him to show that he can win a little with his underrecruited guys and use it to get higher recruited guys to supplement his underrecruited guys. If this happens, I think its the only way to succeed in the super ACC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can see the talent and have long term expectations (I was one of the most optimistic people on this board) and still acknowledge that this team is WAY behind schedule and thus far, this season has been am epic disappointment. The more I watch this team, the less excited I am about the next couple of seasons. Unless Drago is the real deal, they will have all the same problems next year. It is sad that they have not been addressed.

On that note, we were just talking about how much the FT shooting improved over Al, and BOOM, ft shooting costs us a game. And I am not talking about the one Heckmann missed, although ESPN has been highlighting that on the ticker all morning.

I feel like we're not watching the same thing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:35 am

We used to have a coach that could win in a superconference with under recruited guys. Hopefully this guy will show that he can reach that level.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:We used to have a coach that could win in a superconference with under recruited guys. Hopefully this guy will show that he can reach that level.

It's too bad that guy hasn't existed since 2006.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can see the talent and have long term expectations (I was one of the most optimistic people on this board) and still acknowledge that this team is WAY behind schedule and thus far, this season has been am epic disappointment. The more I watch this team, the less excited I am about the next couple of seasons. Unless Drago is the real deal, they will have all the same problems next year. It is sad that they have not been addressed.

Which part? Because the ESPN ticker has been noting that Heckmann was 25-27 and went 2-3 in the final seconds all morning. But the first half free throws were what bothered me - they were like 3 of 9 at one point.

As for the team, I had hoped that getting blown out by Harvard and losing to Bryant were things of the past. One game of almost winning against a lethargic ranked team doesn't change that any more than it did the last time, when the name on the jersey was "BAYLOR"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:We used to have a coach that could win in a superconference with under recruited guys. Hopefully this guy will show that he can reach that level.

You keep telling me that. Reggie Jackson.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 am

BTW, i bet we surpass the vaunted 11-19 record that coach handsome reached in 1999 this year, with a team with a great freshman guard and no big man depth.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Which part? Because the ESPN ticker has been noting that Heckmann was 25-27 and went 2-3 in the final seconds all morning. But the first half free throws were what bothered me - they were like 3 of 9 at one point.

As for the team, I had hoped that getting blown out by Harvard and losing to Bryant were things of the past. One game of almost winning against a lethargic ranked team doesn't change that any more than it did the last time, when the name on the jersey was "BAYLOR"

And if our leading scorer and rebounder trips down the bus steps again today and becomes unable to jump or run for a stretch of 5 games, I'm sure we'll see another step back. I know some posters like to pretend that injury didn't happen though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:BTW, i bet we surpass the vaunted 11-19 record that coach handsome reached in 1999 this year, with a team with a great freshman guard and no big man depth.

Glad we are aiming high. Let me know when we can bet on making the tourney 5 years in a row with a straight face.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

And if our leading scorer and rebounder trips down the bus steps again today and becomes unable to jump or run for a stretch of 5 games, I'm sure we'll see another step back. I know some posters like to pretend that injury didn't happen though.

I am disappointed that that injury matters against the likes of Bryant and College of Charleston
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

You are notorious for under rating BC's opponents and you are always captain of the 10-2 season. BC played a good game against a talented squad.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

You are notorious for under rating BC's opponents and you are always captain of the 10-2 season. BC played a good game against a talented squad.

Ha, that's a good one. I predicted 5-7 this year.

As for your other point, cake and ice cream for all. MORAL VICTORY.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:BTW, i bet we surpass the vaunted 11-19 record that coach handsome reached in 1999 this year, with a team with a great freshman guard and no big man depth.

Glad we are aiming high. Let me know when we can bet on making the tourney 5 years in a row with a straight face.

You are going to HJSian levels of disingenuity. You say we are not making acceptable progress, then you say or imply that the last coach was satisfactory, but you discount the nearly identical progress. 1997 Skinner wins a little bit with JOB's player, 1998 Skinner has a miserable awful season with a mostly empty roster, 1999 Skinner's team shows progress but isn't ready yet. Other than having the benefit of hindsight for one and not the other the progress looks strikingly similar. Very few people would have bet on 5 straight tournament appearances on January 6, 2000.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Predicting 5-7 in year four of Spaz is the eqivalent of predicting 10-2 in a normal year. Do you or do you not shit on every single college team?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I am disappointed that that injury matters against the likes of Bryant and College of Charleston

Hobble Troy Bell in 1999 and we lose to Illinois-Chicago and get blown out by Holy Cross with Carolina's husband, X and Kenny Harley putting up a good effort but not quite enough.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Who absolutely sucked under Skinner and was revived by Donahue.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Dear hoops weirdos,

Do you think ncsu played anywhere near their talent potential last night?

You may now resume your rusty trombone recording sessions titled "we're the best, 10-2 here we come"

Hugs and kisses,

tre

You are the reason BC doesn't deserve a good basketball team and recruits won't come here. Jerk.

If recruits don't like meat bombs, I don't want them!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:58 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You are going to HJSian levels of disingenuity. You say we are not making acceptable progress, then you say or imply that the last coach was satisfactory, but you discount the nearly identical progress. 1997 Skinner wins a little bit with JOB's player, 1998 Skinner has a miserable awful season with a mostly empty roster, 1999 Skinner's team shows progress but isn't ready yet. Other than having the benefit of hindsight for one and not the other the progress looks strikingly similar. Very few people would have bet on 5 straight tournament appearances on January 6, 2000.

So what you're saying is that the Don landed Troy Bell in this year's class?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:59 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yea, that's not accurate. But he developed well under the Don.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He certainly landed 2 GREAT freshmen guards. Those 2 are far and away better than most freshmen in the ACC.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Predicting 5-7 in year four of Spaz is the eqivalent of predicting 10-2 in a normal year. Do you or do you not shit on every single college team?

No, I shit on teams like NCSU that never play up to their talent. Some of them, like UNC, are really good anyway in most seasons. NSCU is not on that level.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He certainly landed 2 GREAT freshmen guards. Those 2 are far and away better than most freshmen in the ACC.

There's no doubt that he landed 2 very good guards. I am pleased with their performance. That said, your statement is a gross exaggeration.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yea, that's not accurate. But he developed well under the Don.

Sometimes. When he wasn't pissing off the Don with his stubborness.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There's no doubt that he landed 2 very good guards. I am pleased with their performance. That said, your statement is a gross exaggeration.

Name 1 or 2 that's better
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Name 1 or 2 that's better

Better players or better stats? Because most freshman don't get to play 40 mins a game, just ours.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum