Dayton game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Dayton game

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What BC needs to get is a quick PG that can get in the lane and create some shots for others...

I think that's kind of bull. They've had a number of open looks. They just need to convert them.

The last Jackson three needs to go down

Yeah, I know, we don't need any backup guards because we have Heckmann and we'll just knock down a bunch of threes eventually. A change of pace is exactly what we need right now - if they aren't going to go inside out with Anderson, they need to run a little and the guards need to stop playing patty cake on the perimeter and take it to the hole.

Daniels wan't always very good at that. It seemed like he'd either score or get swatted in a comical fashion.

I'd like to it see attempted other than the sporadic times where Hanlon does it. I credit Dayton - the defensive plan is genius, with the doubles on Anderson in the post and on the ball on screens. With Anderson cold, they'll let him shoot from 15, which other than threes, is the only shot BC can get consistently right now.

When your shot isn't falling you go to the hoop and you run a little to try to get some confidence. BC is just not aggressive right now. They are waiting for the threes to go down.

I'd like to see Donahue make a little noise at the refs, I don't think they're calling this unfairly but I do think the reluctance to use a whistle hurts a phsyically weaker and tired BC team a good deal.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:59 pm

My only point is that "they need to shoot better" is not the answer to these offensive woes. They haven't been shooting well from the outside and they still have been scoring enough to win. You need to do other things when the jumpers aren't failing and a team takes away the post and the pick and roll with doubles. For example, after dumping into the post, there should be an automatic basket cut instead of the screen away that they often use. When they screen away, they just take the open shooter away from the side of the floor with the post up.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Getting Clifford involved was a good adjustment
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:My only point is that "they need to shoot better" is not the answer to these offensive woes. They haven't been shooting well from the outside and they still have been scoring enough to win. You need to do other things when the jumpers aren't failing and a team takes away the post and the pick and roll with doubles. For example, after dumping into the post, there should be an automatic basket cut instead of the screen away that they often use. When they screen away, they just take the open shooter away from the side of the floor with the post up.

if Anderson wasn't having the worst game of his career there wouldn't be a problem, if he was but we were shooting ok there also would not be a problem.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 pm

also this better be partially due to back to back games because they just look sloppy
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Anderson is just a step slow - missed the open man there. He needs to just attack the hoop.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:05 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:My only point is that "they need to shoot better" is not the answer to these offensive woes. They haven't been shooting well from the outside and they still have been scoring enough to win. You need to do other things when the jumpers aren't failing and a team takes away the post and the pick and roll with doubles. For example, after dumping into the post, there should be an automatic basket cut instead of the screen away that they often use. When they screen away, they just take the open shooter away from the side of the floor with the post up.

if Anderson wasn't having the worst game of his career there wouldn't be a problem, if he was but we were shooting ok there also would not be a problem.

Is this from the Spaz manual of gameday adjustments? If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:07 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:also this better be partially due to back to back games because they just look sloppy

Isn't Dayton also playing back to back?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Is this from the Spaz manual of gameday adjustments? If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

This game has become a disgusting fucking mess of lazy passive defense, shitty ball control and terrible shooting. Daniels would not have made the difference.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:also this better be partially due to back to back games because they just look sloppy

Isn't Dayton also playing back to back?

Yes, but as the weaker more finesse team I think it effects us more.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

After watching most of yesterday's game and listening to this one, I am extremely concerned about the defense.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:After watching most of yesterday's game and listening to this one, I am extremely concerned about the defense.

It wasn't that bad yesterday. Today it is.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

The lethargy may be due to playing back to back, but the complete lack of anything resembling an offense is due to the Dayton coach coaching the pants off the Don on BC's offensive end of the court. You just saw the road map for shutting down BC - double Hanlon on screen and rolls so he can't get in the paint, double Anderson on the blocks, and make BC beat you with 16 footers from Anderson and a whole bunch of threes from bad three point shooters.

I wouldn't even cover Jackson right now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brablc on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Another big problem is that they have yet to make a stop on defense. Having had the chance to push the ball and get down before the defense is set.

This is tough to watch right now.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:After watching most of yesterday's game and listening to this one, I am extremely concerned about the defense.

It was pretty bad yesterday
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This game has become a disgusting fucking mess of lazy passive defense, shitty ball control and terrible shooting. Daniels would not have made the difference.

We've moved on. We are on coaching now. I agree that even a jolt of energy from Daniels would not fix this shit storm.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I disagree. I think the way Jackson had his way with the guards yesterday had mostly to do with atrocious defense and a shitty gameplan. Why did we keep going under the screens?

This Dayton team is eating us alive right now shooting almost 60%, and this team was not projected to be a tournament team. Don hasn't proven he knows a lick about defense yet.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Two 3's from heckmann...and then laziness from Odio on the other end.

What a difference a day makes.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No it wasn't.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I disagree. I think the way Jackson had his way with the guards yesterday had mostly to do with atrocious defense and a shitty gameplan. Why did we keep going under the screens?

This Dayton team is eating us alive right now shooting almost 60%, and this team was not projected to be a tournament team. Don hasn't proven he knows a lick about defense yet.

After seeing someone institute a good defensive plan for the motion offense, I am starting to wonder about the offensive end as well. Not one adjustment to the double teams.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I would agree that I'm starting to doubt Donahue's defensive coaching abilities. The offense isn't good enough for us to be this bad at defense.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No it wasn't.

Yeah, it really was. If I had a nickel for every time Williams ripped the gameplan of diving under screens, I's be as rich as Angry Dick. Defense has been fucking terrible all three games.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I think Heckmann's importance to the team falls somewhere in between the opinions of those fans who fellated him after a 30 pt game against a high school team last year and ballgame's he is the worst player ever schtick.

He makes stupid decisions with the basketball like it's his job, but also looks like he might be one of the few players who has the confidence right now to knock down outside shots. For better or for worse, this offense lives and dies on the 3.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:17 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I think Heckmann's importance to the team falls somewhere in between the opinions of those fans who fellated him after a 30 pt game against a high school team last year and ballgame's he is the worst player ever schtick.

He makes stupid decisions with the basketball like it's his job, but also looks like he might be one of the few players who has the confidence right now to knock down outside shots. For better or for worse, this offense lives and dies on the 3.

He has talent, he's just a bad player. It's two things - he can't dribble and he makes terrible decisions every time he touches the ball. If he wants to sit outside and knock down threes I am okay with that. I just don't want him dribbling, passing or playing defense.

He thinks he is Manu Ginobli and he is more like Kyle Korver.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Lonnie Jackson: 4-23 to start the season. Ouch.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Lonnie Jackson: 4-23 to start the season. Ouch.

4-24
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Lonnie Jackson: 4-23 to start the season. Ouch.

I'll say it, if Jackson is not knocking down shots, he shouldn't be out there. What else does he give this team?

Except, he may have to be out there, because I don't know who else plays.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Looking on the bright side, the scoring is evenly distributed. :shrug
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm

It is flat out hard to watch this team play defense.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Dayton fans might be the whiniest ones I've ever heard.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum