Well, here we go (ellipsis)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Well, here we go (ellipsis)

Postby bchockey04 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Rahon has quite the dribbling ability.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Clifford definitely has the size advantage but you can see the improvement. He can legitimately move up and down the floor

Rahon looks good handling the ball in transition

Nice to see Anderson taking charge
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Joe Rahon is the reason BC is up 11. Kid makes the right play every single time
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Rahon can handle, he's the PG. I like Hanlon off the ball, he could be a great scorer.

Better D down the stretch. Ugly first 12 minutes of the second half, but I see signs for optimism.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Heckmann has to start instead of Lonnie against better competition. He's got more potential
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Where did Clifford go?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Where did Clifford go?

They stopped attacking the press coming out of the half. Took Clifford out of the game and Anderson as well for a while. Makes no sense, you break the press, you go to the hoop.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

They stopped attacking the press coming out of the half. Took Clifford out of the game and Anderson as well for a while. Makes no sense, you break the press, you go to the hoop.

I think van nest played the last ten minutes or so.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think van nest played the last ten minutes or so.

Clifford has knee issues, that's why he was limited
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Thoughts

Positives:
-Rahon really was the reason BC weathered that storm. He is a phenomenal defender
-Anderson was awesome as usual, his shot looks better
-Clifford played very well when he played (knee issues limited his minutes)
-Van Nest and Odio played pretty well
-Hanlan had some nice drives and had an amazing and-1
-Heckmann was very good off the bench
Negatives:
-Interior defense, help defense, transition defense were all pretty weak
-Too many turnovers, especially Olivier
-Lonnie and Joe couldn’t get going from 3
-Poor 3 point shooting in general (besides Heck)

I noticed that BC played at their best when they ran.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Game Notes:
1. Our freshmen are very good.
2. I still really miss Daniels. His ballhandling would have destroyed the FIU press.
3. In general, our returners have improved. Anderson is our go-to player.

It is worth noting that we struggled mightily to hit jumpers. If we are hitting shots we're going to pull off some nice upsets this season. :angrychicken
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 pm

uh oh knee issues. imagine if we lost Cliff? we'd be eight flavors of fucked.

is there any way I can watch this game? is it recorded anywhere?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:31 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:uh oh knee issues. imagine if we lost Cliff? we'd be eight flavors of fucked.

I think they just held him out to make sure he was good for Baylor

UPDATE: @HeightsSports
Donahue says Clifford's knee is fine. Van Nest played because he looked good down the stretch.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:uh oh knee issues. imagine if we lost Cliff? we'd be eight flavors of fucked.

I think you can replay it on ESPN3
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Donahue says Clifford's knee is fine. Van Nest played because he looked good down the stretch.

I will agree van nest looked good down the stretch.

I didn't initially realize how bad Jackson's shooting was, that actually encourages me because it won't continue.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I didn't initially realize how bad Jackson's shooting was, that actually encourages me because it won't continue.

0-7 shooting 3 turnovers 4 fouls, and allowed a freshman to score 22 with 10 rebounds in his first ever collegiate game. I'd say it was a bad game for Lonnie.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

0-7 shooting 3 turnovers 4 fouls, and allowed a freshman to score 22 with 10 rebounds in his first ever collegiate game. I'd say it was a bad game for Lonnie.

Lonnie wasn't covering Frink.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:28 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:I'm sure he's a nice kid, but I think Danny Rubin has run his course.

Would it make you feel any better if I told you he kicks puppies and uses the N word?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Not directly, but the way I see it is they sacrificed putting an able body to cover him and that was the result. If he isn't going to makeup for the mismatch on the offensive end, then why have him in the game.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Not directly, but the way I see it is they sacrificed putting an able body to cover him and that was the result. If he isn't going to makeup for the mismatch on the offensive end, then why have him in the game.

I'm not following
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:57 pm

A win is a win.

That being said Baylor is going to kick the crap out of us.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bender on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:12 pm

The offense looked pretty good, especially against the press (although any press break looks good after all those years of watching the Skinner years.) I think that different guys will be able to pick up the slack if someone has a tough shooting night like Jackson did tonight and to a lesser extent Rahon. That is the design of the Donahue system, every player needs to have skill and the Don is willing to sacrifice size and athleticism to make sure all players have enough skill with the ball. Defensively I think the team will struggle against big athletic teams, but overall I'm encouraged by today's game.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:A win is a win.

That being said Baylor is going to kick the crap out of us.

Baylor's best player missed their second game, he may miss BC too.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:58 pm

I liked what I saw, Van Nest and Heckman in particular, but we still have defense and shooting issues. Jackson really needs to become the go to shooter because I see Rahon as the PG. That kid was the biggest thing I noticed today, he is a real good PG.

I think we miss Daniels for depth, but talent wise I really like the two frosh after one game. If BC knocks down some jumpers today and attacks the press in the second half, it would have been the blow out it should have been, Not worried abut Jackson, he will come around, and he plays a pretty good game as the third ball handler.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:26 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I'm not following

BC went small. They shouldn't go small next game because the combination of Rahon, Hanlan, and Jackson cannot guard a SF at this level. Jackson should be the odd man out in favor of Heckmann
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Anybody at the game today who heard the Boston College basketball rap song? It was actually kind of tight. Any info on this one?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Anybody at the game today who heard the Boston College basketball rap song? It was actually kind of tight. Any info on this one?

No, I hope it's on youtube soon
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I'm not following

BC went small. They shouldn't go small next game because the combination of Rahon, Hanlan, and Jackson cannot guard a SF at this level. Jackson should be the odd man out in favor of Heckmann

I disagree. I also don't think Jackson is the defensive liability he was last season. I doubt Jackson shoots this poorly many more times, Heckmann is an interesting player but he disappears for like 15 minute stretches and seems to get distracted easily, I hope we can rely on him but I think its up in the air.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 am

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... story.html

Some quotes from players and Donahue (It sounds like Anderson still focused on the family aspect):

It was your typical basketball fight. Some chest-to-chest tough talk. A lot of lip service back and forth. An irritated referee in the middle trying to get everyone back to their corners.

It was the kind of dust-up that a lot of coaches would roll their eyes at in the middle of an 84-70 season-opening win. But Boston College’s Steve Donahue stood by his bench a few feet away from the mosh pit between his players and a charged-up Florida International team and watched with a more than a little bit of curiosity.

The Eagles were at a tipping point. Their 16-point halftime lead fully dissolved when FIU’s Malik Smith sized up Ryan Anderson at the 3-point line, pulled up, and drained it over the 6-foot-8-inch Eagle to tie the game at 65.

“He was being very assertive offensively and I think I might have took that upon myself to be more aggressive offensively, too,” Anderson said. “But it was nothing personal.”

Anderson came back down the court and knocked down a midrange pull-up to give the Eagles the lead again. Things got dicey, though, when the Eagles turned an FIU turnover into a fast break.

Anderson took a feed from freshman point guard Joe Rahon and made a beeline for the basket. Smith threw himself in front of the freight train, body-blocking Anderson so hard that the BC sophomore made a bowling ball’s thud when he hit the hardwood along the baseline.

Anderson popped up before any of his teammates could grab him. He blew a hard puff of air and clapped his hands, more to himself than anyone else. Meanwhile, bodies were pushing and shoving behind him.

“I had some emotions going,” Anderson said. “Somebody ran at me, and stopped me. Somebody got him. And then we just banded together and said, ‘This is enough.’ ’’

Eagles freshman point guard Olivier Hanlan was in the middle of it all.

“I just didn’t like the foul,” Hanlan said. “It was a pretty hard foul. So I just wanted to step up for him.”

Smith was hit with a flagrant foul, Anderson hit the two ensuing free throws, Florida International scored two baskets the rest of the game, and the Eagles literally fought their way to a win that was as much a sign of newfound toughness as it was growth.

“I think it just showed how much of a family we are,” Anderson said. “A guy goes down, I think everyone wants to pick him up. I think it’s a big maturation process for us. Last year, when a team would have tied us after we had a big lead like that, we would have crumbled. We wouldn’t have been able to execute down the stretch.”

After watching his team win just five of 15 nonconference games a year ago and spend the majority of its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule being hazed by some of the best teams in the nation, a young Eagles team had some growing up to do coming into a new season. Donahue saw the win as an important step in his players’ maturation.

“The one thing we’ve tried to always to get across to these guys, there such nice kids,” Donahue said. “Maybe that got them angry.”

There was a mentality Donahue learned in his 10 years under former Penn coach Fran Dunphy that he wanted to see in his players.

“He used to jump onto the court and he’d say, ‘Nasty,’ ” Donahue said. “Then, he’d jump off the court and say, ‘Nice.’ That’s what it’s all about.

“With this group, we need that. That’s something that we’ve talked about. These kids are so darn coachable almost to a fault. Sometimes I want them to say, ‘Screw the coach, let’s do what we need to to get it done.’ ”

Anderson was the perfect example. Last season, he led all ACC rookies in double-doubles. He likely led the conference in smiles, handshakes, ‘Yes, sirs,’ and ‘Yes, ma’ams.’ But his 29-point, 17 rebound effort was an intense start to the season. He ranged for rebounds that were above the rim and out of his area and was vocal when the team desperately needed to end FIU’s second-half run.

“There were a few plays where we came together as a group and said, ‘Let’s just get three stops in a row,’ or ‘Let’s get a good shot on this play,’ ” Anderson said. “And when we’re all on the same page like that, everyone’s playing with the same purpose.”

In the backcourt, Hanlan (12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists) and Rahon (5 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists) also bring an element of fearlessness that isn’t always a given with freshmen.

“They make a lot of little plays that maybe don’t show up in the stat sheet, but help us win games,” Anderson said.

There were times when it looked like the Eagles would run FIU out of Conte Forum, Donahue said, and there were times when they couldn’t stop them from scoring. But the win wasn’t about looks.

Hanlan said, “Everybody just kept fighting.”
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 am

Brablc {l Wrote}:http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens-basketball/2012/11/11/boston-college-beats-fla-international-season-opener/oPpmpzdUD7nRrSuZujsJ3J/story.html

Some quotes from players and Donahue (It sounds like Anderson still focused on the family aspect):

It was your typical basketball fight. Some chest-to-chest tough talk. A lot of lip service back and forth. An irritated referee in the middle trying to get everyone back to their corners.

It was the kind of dust-up that a lot of coaches would roll their eyes at in the middle of an 84-70 season-opening win. But Boston College’s Steve Donahue stood by his bench a few feet away from the mosh pit between his players and a charged-up Florida International team and watched with a more than a little bit of curiosity.

The Eagles were at a tipping point. Their 16-point halftime lead fully dissolved when FIU’s Malik Smith sized up Ryan Anderson at the 3-point line, pulled up, and drained it over the 6-foot-8-inch Eagle to tie the game at 65.

“He was being very assertive offensively and I think I might have took that upon myself to be more aggressive offensively, too,” Anderson said. “But it was nothing personal.”

Anderson came back down the court and knocked down a midrange pull-up to give the Eagles the lead again. Things got dicey, though, when the Eagles turned an FIU turnover into a fast break.

Anderson took a feed from freshman point guard Joe Rahon and made a beeline for the basket. Smith threw himself in front of the freight train, body-blocking Anderson so hard that the BC sophomore made a bowling ball’s thud when he hit the hardwood along the baseline.

Anderson popped up before any of his teammates could grab him. He blew a hard puff of air and clapped his hands, more to himself than anyone else. Meanwhile, bodies were pushing and shoving behind him.

“I had some emotions going,” Anderson said. “Somebody ran at me, and stopped me. Somebody got him. And then we just banded together and said, ‘This is enough.’ ’’

Eagles freshman point guard Olivier Hanlan was in the middle of it all.

“I just didn’t like the foul,” Hanlan said. “It was a pretty hard foul. So I just wanted to step up for him.”

Smith was hit with a flagrant foul, Anderson hit the two ensuing free throws, Florida International scored two baskets the rest of the game, and the Eagles literally fought their way to a win that was as much a sign of newfound toughness as it was growth.

“I think it just showed how much of a family we are,” Anderson said. “A guy goes down, I think everyone wants to pick him up. I think it’s a big maturation process for us. Last year, when a team would have tied us after we had a big lead like that, we would have crumbled. We wouldn’t have been able to execute down the stretch.”

After watching his team win just five of 15 nonconference games a year ago and spend the majority of its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule being hazed by some of the best teams in the nation, a young Eagles team had some growing up to do coming into a new season. Donahue saw the win as an important step in his players’ maturation.

“The one thing we’ve tried to always to get across to these guys, there such nice kids,” Donahue said. “Maybe that got them angry.”

There was a mentality Donahue learned in his 10 years under former Penn coach Fran Dunphy that he wanted to see in his players.

“He used to jump onto the court and he’d say, ‘Nasty,’ ” Donahue said. “Then, he’d jump off the court and say, ‘Nice.’ That’s what it’s all about.

“With this group, we need that. That’s something that we’ve talked about. These kids are so darn coachable almost to a fault. Sometimes I want them to say, ‘Screw the coach, let’s do what we need to to get it done.’ ”

Anderson was the perfect example. Last season, he led all ACC rookies in double-doubles. He likely led the conference in smiles, handshakes, ‘Yes, sirs,’ and ‘Yes, ma’ams.’ But his 29-point, 17 rebound effort was an intense start to the season. He ranged for rebounds that were above the rim and out of his area and was vocal when the team desperately needed to end FIU’s second-half run.

“There were a few plays where we came together as a group and said, ‘Let’s just get three stops in a row,’ or ‘Let’s get a good shot on this play,’ ” Anderson said. “And when we’re all on the same page like that, everyone’s playing with the same purpose.”

In the backcourt, Hanlan (12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists) and Rahon (5 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists) also bring an element of fearlessness that isn’t always a given with freshmen.

“They make a lot of little plays that maybe don’t show up in the stat sheet, but help us win games,” Anderson said.

There were times when it looked like the Eagles would run FIU out of Conte Forum, Donahue said, and there were times when they couldn’t stop them from scoring. But the win wasn’t about looks.

Hanlan said, “Everybody just kept fighting.”

Since Spaz isn't doing anything productive with him, I nominate 6-7 250 lb Malachi Moore as 2012 BC Basketball's Nehemiah Ingram.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum