Jordan Daniels has left program

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Jordan Daniels has left program

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh and man I hope the people talking out their ass about how good Hanlon is going to be are right, because other wise, this team will suck again.

I hope so too. I'm one of them.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Good thing he's pictured on that Pack Power invite
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 pm

not good, JD is a fan favorite. he really started to develop his penetrate-kickout dynamic too. he'll be missed. best of luck JD.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby DickWashBowl on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Damn, what am I going to do with all my Reebok Red and Khaki "Jordan's Judges" robes?!?!?!
DickWashBowl
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

DickWashBowl {l Wrote}:Damn, what am I going to do with all my Reebok Red and Khaki "Jordan's Judges" robes?!?!?!

Those of us with a "Daniels Spaniels" dog costume don't have it any easier (ellipsis)
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:08 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
DickWashBowl {l Wrote}:Damn, what am I going to do with all my Reebok Red and Khaki "Jordan's Judges" robes?!?!?!

Those of us with a "Daniels Spaniels" dog costume don't have it any easier (ellipsis)

I am enjoying your embracing of the (ellipsis) theme.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm

for twballgame, Hanlan and Rahon passed Daniels according to Jeff Goodman of CBS:

@GoodmanCBS
Daniels likely saw the writing on the wall as BC's freshmen guards -- Olivier Hanlon and Joe Rahon - clearly already moved ahead of Daniels.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:for twballgame, Hanlan and Rahon passed Daniels according to Jeff Goodman of CBS:

@GoodmanCBS
Daniels likely saw the writing on the wall as BC's freshmen guards -- Olivier Hanlon and Joe Rahon - clearly already moved ahead of Daniels.

Like I said, I hope you are right. They're still freshmen and it should remain fresh in everyone's minds how much freshmen struggle over the course of a full season. Ours play PG, ehich only exacerbates it.

I have my fingers crossed that they are ready right away.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

If its a playing time issue, fine, I wish he had stayed anyway but maybe he will get to be the man at a lower level like Marquez Haynes (who I think he may be better than).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Going into this season the BC backcourt looked like it would be a strength of the team, but the point guard spot is one man shorter today. Sources confirmed that point guard Jordan Daniels has left the program and will be transferring. According to a source, Daniels was presumed to be unhappy that he wasn't going to be starting at point guard at the beginning of the season
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 pm

wildcat81 {l Wrote}:Cornell of the ACC.

No, BC doesn't have a school of agriculture and that's why it's not a university.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:59 pm

This Heights quote doesn't exactly make me warm and fuzzy about the season:
The freshmen are going to struggle. Donahue has conceded that Rahon is in a shooting slump lately and that Hanlan wasn’t able to make plays or get to the rim with the ease he was expecting against Northeastern. These are only a few of the issues that are going to come and go for both guys from now until March.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:This Heights quote doesn't exactly make me warm and fuzzy about the season:
The freshmen are going to struggle. Donahue has conceded that Rahon is in a shooting slump lately and that Hanlan wasn’t able to make plays or get to the rim with the ease he was expecting against Northeastern. These are only a few of the issues that are going to come and go for both guys from now until March.

What are your expectations for the season that such news has you down?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:This Heights quote doesn't exactly make me warm and fuzzy about the season:

What are your expectations for the season that such news has you down?

14-17 wins
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:26 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:If its a playing time issue, fine, I wish he had stayed anyway but maybe he will get to be the man at a lower level like Marquez Haynes (who I think he may be better than).

gotta love Jordan Daniels, but I can't agree with this... Haynes proved to be an athletic scorer who plays solid D.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:If its a playing time issue, fine, I wish he had stayed anyway but maybe he will get to be the man at a lower level like Marquez Haynes (who I think he may be better than).

gotta love Jordan Daniels, but I can't agree with this... Haynes proved to be an athletic scorer who plays solid D.

As a freshman Daniels was much better.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:01 pm

It sucks depth wise, but you lost a backup PG. He was over-matched at this level. He'll be lucky to land at a bottom tier WCC school.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

As a freshman Daniels was much better.

Daniels played many more minutes his freshman year than Haynes did during his first year.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:He'll be lucky to land at a bottom tier WCC school.

Is this hyperbole?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah this definitely sucks. I didn't care much about our previous transfers, but Daniels could have really helped the program this year. He was weak as a starter but he would have been a quality backup and, especially with improvement, can certainly hang.

If there is any consolation it means our roster won't be so lopsided class-wise. I would be all for landing another diamond-in-the-rough type PG for the 2013 class similar to Daniels when we landed him in February or so for the 2011 class.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:It sucks depth wise, but you lost a backup PG. He was over-matched at this level. He'll be lucky to land at a bottom tier WCC school.

I think he will end up ay USC to backup their starting undersized PG
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:39 pm

No Pac12 schools is touching Daniels.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:No Pac12 schools is touching Daniels.

USC basketball sucks. Daniels is from So Cal. USC's Maurice Jones is their leading scorer and is 5'7 155. Daniels averaged over 6ppg as an undersized freshman in the ACC. USC should pull the trigger.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Jordan Daniels could start at USC and/or Utah (maybe more, not to mention he would be a solid backup at any Pac12 school), so I'm not sure what the hell eepstein is talking about.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Jordan Daniels could start at USC and/or Utah (maybe more, not to mention he would be a solid backup at any Pac12 school), so I'm not sure what the hell eepstein is talking about.

Minus Arizona and UCLA* But yea, he's a good player and proved he can play in the best conference in the nation.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 am

Some quotes from Donahue:

http://heightssports.tumblr.com/post/35223188478/column-departure-of-jordan-daniels-shrinks-eagles

Daniels Shrinks Eagles’ Ceiling for 2012-2013

The Boston College hoops ceiling just fell a hair over five and half feet.

Five days before the season opener, sophomore point guard Jordan Daniels has decided to transfer from the Heights, per a release from BC Athletics. The move was first reported by John Rothstein of CBS.

“It’s a surprise yeah, for sure,” head coach Steve Donahue told The Heights. “We had talked a couple of times in the preseason about where his role is and things of that nature. I just think it got to a point for him where he just wasn’t enjoying himself in the role that he saw himself in. He talked it over with his parents and then we talked about it real serious last night that he thinks he’s going to stop playing and transfer.”

The decision came as a shock, especially since just last week Heights editors sat down with Daniels to discuss the upcoming season.

“I think we made a little progress but that’s just one year under our belt,” Daniels said at the time. “I feel like we have a ways to go. Part of changing the basketball culture here at BC is we have to improve and win games too. We’ve gotta keep getting better and give our students something to watch.”

Daniels was clearly focused on the upcoming season, and for good reason. Despite all the hype around freshmen guards Oliver Hanlan and Joe Rahon, who are both very talented and have a ton of potential, Daniels was going to be a big part of Donahue’s seven-man rotation. He’s killer in the pick-and roll, underrated on the defensive end, and played a bigger role than anyone else in the upset over Florida State last season.

Despite Daniels’ lack of size and strength, he had a whole season under his belt and plays with an impressive amount of composure. He would’ve been able to come off the bench and settle down the offense when the inevitable turnovers start racking up for Hanlan and Rahon. Last season, Daniels only broke from his stoic nature one time on the court, letting out a joyous scream when the Eagles sealed the victory over the ‘Noles.

The rotation of consistently reliable players now only stands at Dennis Clifford, Ryan Anderson, Lonnie Jackson, Rahon, Hanlan, and Patrick Heckmann. Heckmann is himself still a bit of a question mark after missing so much time last year and disappearing during games.

“All of these things that happen – they’re all part of growing the program,” Donahue said. “I think the guys are going to miss him. He’s a great kid and he was a great member of our program. We’re a tight knit family. I think in that part we’re still trying to get used to him not being here. We’ll get over it, fortunately – or unfortunately depending on what way you want to look at it. I think we’ll be a good basketball team. I’m real confident in the guys that are playing. Going forward you’ve obviously got to make sure you get another guy that can handle the ball and I think we’ll do that over the next couple recruiting classes.”

Before Daniels’ departure, the combination of Andrew Van Nest, Eddie Odio, John Cain Carney, KC Caudill, and Danny Rubin looked reliable enough for the eighth and ninth guys, but one of them will need to step in and log some serious minutes. So far, no one has stood out. If the Eagles are going to be successful this year, the top six are going to need to log an absurd amount of minutes or one of these bit players will need to make a serious jump.

Daniels was concerned with his playing time, but he stated to The Heights before the season that he was comfortable with the competition Rahon and Hanlan brought.

“[The freshmen] coming in it makes things more competitive,” he said. “We all want to be out there, but I think that when you look at the big picture that just makes us better as a team. Going at each other each day and just making each other better. I feel like they just add to the team.”

Donahue did say Monday, however, that he’d had to talk with Daniels more than the other three guards about playing time.

“Everybody has a chance to jump over another guy and get the role that they probably want, so I can’t set on [a rotation],” Donahue said. “As we go forward it’s something that we have to communicate with them and make sure it’s something they understand – I’ve had that conversation with Jordan in particular. The other three I haven’t necessarily – all four are playing a lot, probably a little more than Jordan, in his mind, but that can change.”

In terms of future success, this is a setback but not a major one for the Eagles. Daniels isn’t built to be a starter on a competitive ACC squad, but he could’ve been deadly as a backup point-guard to Hanlan in the next three seasons. He could’ve confused and shook up defenses with his unusual size and speed and it would’ve given the Eagles a strong advantage on the offensive end with a productive second unit, but those dreams leave with Daniels.

This squad will struggle more than initially projected, especially early, without Daniels in the rotation, though it does open up more playing time for Hanlan and Rahon to grow. The team might be better prepared for a tournament run next season or the season after because of the move, especially since it opens up another scholarship for Donahue.

Daniels is a great kid, maybe almost to a fault on the court, and has always gone above and beyond to be polite and helpful with the media.

“Lonnie competes on the court, that’s what Lonnie naturally does,” Donahue said. “I think Jordan is working to that. Jordan is such a nice person that he has to be able to turn it on and off and it’s probably something that he has to think about each day, where Lonnie is just – when he’s in competition, it’s competition.”

Daniels will be missed, and hopefully he does well as he continues his career. The future for BC basketball is still bright, but for this season, at least, the Eagles just took a significant step backwards.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 am

I willing to believe Hanlon's going to be better than Daniels. "Believe" and "going to" being the operative words. But anyone that doesn't think Daniels' minutes are a loss is an ass clown. The Heights article actually does a great job of articulating the why - thought that article was really well done, whomever you are.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I willing to believe Hanlon's going to be better than Daniels. "Believe" and "going to" being the operative words. But anyone that doesn't think Daniels' minutes are a loss is an ass clown. The Heights article actually does a great job of articulating the why - thought that article was really well done, whomever you are.

I agree it was a good article and also agree the first half of why Daniels is a loss make a lot of sense (pick and roll thing, not so much the D), I do not at all understand the extrapolation of a shooting slump from Rahon(which is inconsistent with other articles published within the last two wees) and Hanlan having difficulty driving in one game against Northeastern into much of anything.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

I doubt Daniels would be leaving if this was not such a weird setup with both a) the 9 win season last year, which probably blew to be a part of and b) having no real upperclassmen

I await the Carolinas of the world's accusations that Donahue should have kept him without explanation of how one would go about doing such a thing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Nate2651 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I willing to believe Hanlon's going to be better than Daniels. "Believe" and "going to" being the operative words. But anyone that doesn't think Daniels' minutes are a loss is an ass clown. The Heights article actually does a great job of articulating the why - thought that article was really well done, whomever you are.

We get it you dont believe anyone who thinks "Hanlon" is good
Nate2651
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum