NBA

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NBA

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Does anyone still watch this garbage? I'm not even sure why they bother to hire coaches.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7832334/report-orlando-magic-dwight-howard-says-play-stan-van-gundy
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Re: NBA

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I do, it's basketball at its highest level. I like basketball.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:I do, it's basketball at its highest level. I like basketball.

It contains some trace elements of basketball as olive garden contains trace elements of italian food.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm

The NBA is complete trash. But... the Magic brought this on themselves by not trading him before the season.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The NBA is complete trash. But... the Magic brought this on themselves by not trading him before the season.

I don't feel bad for the Magic, or even Van Gundy. Its such a dumb setup though. You get good by absolutely sucking. A little better than Mediocre is the worst possible scenario. That makes for a really stupid sport.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:The NBA is complete trash. But... the Magic brought this on themselves by not trading him before the season.

I don't feel bad for the Magic, or even Van Gundy. Its such a dumb setup though. You get good by absolutely sucking. A little better than Mediocre is the worst possible scenario. That makes for a really stupid sport.

What makes it a stupid sport is not following the rules of basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

that combined with 85% of the teams having a legitimate zero percent chance of making the finals each season from the first quarter of the first game.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:I do, it's basketball at its highest level. I like basketball.

I'll watch but it's not basketball.

All the reasons are listed above: the inmates run the asylum
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:09 pm

I only watch in the playoffs. The rest of the season is a bunch of crap. The playoffs at least all of these incredible athletes actually try, even if they're not following the rules of basketball.

The regular season is way too long, and the players have too much power. Neither of these problems is fixable from a practical perspective.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I only watch in the playoffs. The rest of the season is a bunch of crap. The playoffs at least all of these incredible athletes actually try, even if they're not following the rules of basketball.

The regular season is way too long, and the players have too much power. Neither of these problems is fixable from a practical perspective.

Yeah I'll watch the "marquee" regular season games & the playoffs.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:All the reasons are listed above: the inmates run the asylum

The NBAPA is the Corleone family of professional sports.

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
that combined with 85% of the teams having a legitimate zero percent chance of making the finals each season from the first quarter of the first game.

Yup. Hence why we eat up the off-season coverage. When your hot stove is the best thing your league has to offer, your league sucks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The worst team in the NBA(maybe not Charlotte) would beat Kentucky by 20, with college refs.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Not sure how this distinguishes it from college....
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 pm

The more I play NBA 2K12, the more I like the NBA. I love watching this year's Celtics... I'm finding myself watching every game. The season is shorter, so the league just seems more accessible this year. Anybody else feel this way?

The NBA is so individulaized... Very little passing. When you get it, it's shoot shoot shoot.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 am

The NBA at its present stage of evolution is primarily an entertainment consortium, not a sports league. The power that top players exercise is fundamentally no different from the clout that A-list movie stars have about movies. People who complain about the NBAPA should recognize that they're playing by the rules established by the owners, namely that it's about money first and last (except where it's about ego), and screw everything and everybody else. If you don't want to return to the era of legalized sports serfdom (and some people on this forum may want that), you have to expect periodic battles over money and money-related issues like the one that consumed half of this NBA season. Anyone who blames all of this on the players has a warped perspective; it wasn't the players who established greed (under the rubric of "business") as the ultimate truth in professional sports (as in every other profit-making activity). The unpalatable fact is, American society is just getting a sports establishment in conformity with prevailing social and economic norms -- and there is the contradiction, because a large part of sports' appeal is as a temporary escape from those norms, and so an increasing atmosphere of hypocrisy surrounds the whole enterprise, and along with it growing irritation among fans, which is still pretty far from meltdown level but may reach it eventually.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:05 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The worst team in the NBA(maybe not Charlotte) would beat Kentucky by 20, with college refs.

Nuh uh, the sinking of the Lusitania had way more to do with it.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am

Duds getting into it with Blake

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Duds getting into it with Blake

Love JD. He was pissed b/c KMart clocked him in the neck at the other end.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I like that people are going at Griffin finally. He loves to.show people up, but acts like a bitch every time someone fouls him.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I like that people are going at Griffin finally. He loves to.show people up, but acts like a bitch every time someone fouls him.

This goes for 90% of the players in the NBA and should be added to the list of reasons why it sucks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:11 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

That has no bearing on my interest in the league BTW
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 am

I really don't watch the NBA during the regular season. I'll watch a (admittedly rare) 76ers playoff game, but even then I only make a point to do so once you get to the 3rd or 4th game in a series.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:00 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Butler.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Travelling or no travelling? Because under college rules, most NBA teams wouldn't get the ball past half court without a turnover.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Butler.

Dallas
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Butler.

Dallas

No.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Butler.

Dallas

No.

What am I to make of Butler's 2009 top 10 Coach's Poll ranking (11 in the AP)?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:43 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Butler.

Dallas

No.

What am I to make of Butler's 2009 top 10 Coach's Poll ranking (11 in the AP)?

I think that's the 2009-2010 season ranking(the first one where they went to the final game), I think they were 22/25 in 2008-2009.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 am

Butler went to the finals in 2010 and 2011, no? Unless I'm missing something, the first poll of 2009-2010 is precisely the one that owns your argument.

However, as I don't watch as much NBA as I used to, Im getting bored with this trolling. It's just that I find many anti-NBA arguments (not this one) to have racist undertones.

I'll be trolling the hockey board.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Butler went to the finals in 2010 and 2011, no? Unless I'm missing something, the first poll of 2009-2010 is precisely the one that owns your argument.

However, as I don't watch as much NBA as I used to, Im getting bored with this trolling. It's just that I find many anti-NBA arguments (not this one) to have racist undertones.

I'll be trolling the hockey board.

I thought you were using the last poll of 2009-2010. Actually though, I don't think 11th in the preseason poll for 2009-2010 is a great argument though. I'd explain why, but I'm bored of this.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum