Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I nominate "listen to what your eyes tell you" for awesomeness.

I second that because I hear what your showing me.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:Just go to a 3 guard line-up ala Huckaby-Eisley-Abram-Hinton-Curley

Who's the third? Heckmann? One of the freshmen? Neither of those options thrill me.

Gotta play the best 5 they have... Anderson, Clifford, and whoever the next 3 performers are. If that leads to 3 guards, so be it.

The team's biggest weakness last year was interior defense and rebounding. Playing three guards doesn't help much in that regard. I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but I'd rather Odio and Caudill get more minutes so we can see if they've improved. I don't have any postseason expectations for this squad, so I don't mind Donahue experimenting more.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Everyone is quick to say interior D and rebounding were the biggest weaknesses and yet, the team shot 40% with only 59.1 ppg, good for 329th in the league. That is technically worse than rebounding, as they averaged 29.8 rpg for 326th in the league.

So why exactly isn't shooting the team's biggest problem?

Just a curious question to your mindset because if you are assuming shooting will be better, why not assume rebounding will be to as the team clearly came back stronger this offseason.

I'm assuming shooting will be better because the guy who took the most shots is now gone, and he was a 35% shooter.

I'm not assuming rebounding will be better because the team didn't add to the frontcourt this offseason (unless you think that guy from Harvard will contribute, which I don't agree with). It's possible they will be improved, but it doesn't change the fact that the team is thin on players with this skill set.

I assume rebounding will be better because of the additional 85 or so lbs between the starters due to weight room and not being like 15 years old anymore.

I think that will help marginally. But I don't think some extra muscle mass is going to turn any of those guys into Ben Wallace. Hopefully, I am wrong.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:Just go to a 3 guard line-up ala Huckaby-Eisley-Abram-Hinton-Curley

Who's the third? Heckmann? One of the freshmen? Neither of those options thrill me.

Gotta play the best 5 they have... Anderson, Clifford, and whoever the next 3 performers are. If that leads to 3 guards, so be it.

The team's biggest weakness last year was interior defense and rebounding. Playing three guards doesn't help much in that regard. I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but I'd rather Odio and Caudill get more minutes so we can see if they've improved. I don't have any postseason expectations for this squad, so I don't mind Donahue experimenting more.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Everyone is quick to say interior D and rebounding were the biggest weaknesses and yet, the team shot 40% with only 59.1 ppg, good for 329th in the league. That is technically worse than rebounding, as they averaged 29.8 rpg for 326th in the league.

Just a curious question to your mindset because if you are assuming shooting will be better, why not assume rebounding will be to as the team clearly came back stronger this offseason.

I'm assuming shooting will be better because the guy who took the most shots is now gone, and he was a 35% shooter.

I'm not assuming rebounding will be better because the team didn't add to the frontcourt this offseason (unless you think that guy from Harvard will contribute, which I don't agree with). It's possible they will be improved, but it doesn't change the fact that the team is thin on players with this skill set.

I assume rebounding will be better because of the additional 85 or so lbs between the starters due to weight room and not being like 15 years old anymore.

I think that will help marginally. But I don't think some extra muscle mass is going to turn any of those guys into Ben Wallace. Hopefully, I am wrong.

I think it should make a difference for Clifford, he is approaching aircraft carrier size in bceaglesfans weird picture thread, at least relative to his scrawny freshman year. Hopefully it doesn't affect mobility. I am not pinning hopes on Eddie Odio, but its not outside the realm of possibility that he gives you some semblance of the Raji hustle guy with some boards and hopefully w/o missing 200 putbacks a game.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am

Clifford's mobility did not seem to be changed in the videos from Spain. Small sample but his cuts and dunks looked more mobile and certainly more powerful.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

Is this elvii's little brother?

Rebounding is a much bigger problem than shooting and it is not even close.

Point being that people are quick to assume shooting will improve rather than rebounding when statistics show shootign is the bigger issue

You are a loyal fan of this team and I respect that. But you need to get your head out of the media guide and listen to what your eyes tell you every now and then.

That's fine, but I don't necessarily think that your correct here. When Freshman vs Seniors in the ACC, Seniors win. Almost every time. The reason is that they are smarter in bball IQ and their bodies have developed more. I expect rebounding will naturally be much better. Anderson has proved he can rebound, Clifford gained like 15 pounds this summer so his body is much more ready. The biggest hole and question mark is at the 3.

Shooting is shooting. Either you can shoot or you can't. A lot has to do with confidence, which the team took awhile to gain....but overall I see rebounding on a steeper scale, which would lead to bigger improvement.

Eyes can lie
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

Point being that people are quick to assume shooting will improve rather than rebounding when statistics show shootign is the bigger issue

You are a loyal fan of this team and I respect that. But you need to get your head out of the media guide and listen to what your eyes tell you every now and then.

That's fine, but I don't necessarily think that your correct here. When Freshman vs Seniors in the ACC, Seniors win. Almost every time. The reason is that they are smarter in bball IQ and their bodies have developed more. I expect rebounding will naturally be much better. Anderson has proved he can rebound, Clifford gained like 15 pounds this summer so his body is much more ready. The biggest hole and question mark is at the 3.

Shooting is shooting. Either you can shoot or you can't. A lot has to do with confidence, which the team took awhile to gain....but overall I see rebounding on a steeper scale, which would lead to bigger improvement.

Eyes can lie

I don't agree with any of this. Shooting is the most learned behavior of all time, and anyone can do it. Rebounding, on the other hand, is about size, knowledge of position and most importantly, instincts. You can get better at both.

I can solve your small forward depth problem. Put Ryan Anderson there after you recruit a rebounder. You can't solve the rebounding problem - this team will continue to suffer on the boards. Bet you 100 bucks they shoot a lot better though.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:

Eyes can lie

I don't agree with any of this. Shooting is the most learned behavior of all time, and anyone can do it. Rebounding, on the other hand, is about size, knowledge of position and most importantly, instincts. You can get better at both.

I can solve your small forward depth problem. Put Ryan Anderson there after you recruit a rebounder. You can't solve the rebounding problem - this team will continue to suffer on the boards. Bet you 100 bucks they shoot a lot better though.

Well obviously they shoot better, they actually have shooting depth this year with Hanlan and Rahon.

Gabe Moton was never going to be a great shooter. You could put him in a gym for 2 straight months, and he still wouldn't hit a shot consistently. But you can gain size and be a great rebounder. Shooting doesn't drastically change in 1 year, rebounding can.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree that shooting is easy to develop in small amounts...but I am talking the transition from freshman to sophmore year, the larger offseason impact will be rebounding. You will always get better at shooting, but you won't see any drastic improvements. Unless your Reggie Jackson
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Rebounding has little to with size and everything to do with smart position, effort and instincts. Some of the worst rebounders in the NBA are big guys, and the best shorter guys that can't jump over a curb.

Craig Smith, Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley say hello. Not one of them a legit 6'4. Kevin Love could be the worst athlete in the NBA and the best rebounder. Adding 20 lbs isn't going to transform BC forwards into Dennis Rodman.

And Moten couldn't be fixed with that shooting motion. Fix the shooting motion, repeat over and over, and he would be a good shooter. Shooting is nothing more than depth perception, concentration and mechanics, repeated frequently.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rebounding has little to with size and everything to do with smart position, effort and instincts. Some of the worst rebounders in the NBA are big guys, and the best shorter guys that can't jump over a curb.

Craig Smith, Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley say hello. Not one of them a legit 6'4. Kevin Love could be the worst athlete in the NBA and the best rebounder. Adding 20 lbs isn't going to transform BC forwards into Dennis Rodman.

And Moten couldn't be fixed with that shooting motion. Fix the shooting motion, repeat over and over, and he would be a good shooter. Shooting is nothing more than depth perception, concentration and mechanics, repeated frequently.

There won't be another year where basketball IQ is gained more than freshman to sophomore year
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:38 pm

BTW... reading the media guide I have to say I was pretty impressed with Rohan HS resume. He was playing in the upper levels of Cali ball... Played on an AAU team with Shabazz, the kid from vegas who Ive watched multiple times (Bishop Gorman is about 4 minutes from my house). Pretty sure that AAU team isnt picking up scrubs. Why wasnt this kid more heavily recruited???
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:25 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:BTW... reading the media guide I have to say I was pretty impressed with Rohan HS resume. He was playing in the upper levels of Cali ball... Played on an AAU team with Shabazz, the kid from vegas who Ive watched multiple times (Bishop Gorman is about 4 minutes from my house). Pretty sure that AAU team isnt picking up scrubs. Why wasnt this kid more heavily recruited???

Because he tore his ACL or something like that. Kid's got knee problems. He can ball though when healthy
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:44 am

Garland Owens official visit to BC this weekend:
Boston College won't be hosting any Midnight Madness type activities, and instead will be jumping right into practice, but that doesn't mean this weekend will be any less important from a recruiting standpoint as Massanutten Military Academy swingman Garland Owens, a product of the Mid-Atlantic Select AAU program, will be on campus for his official visit.

ESPN Insider scouting report:
Strengths: Owens is a high level athlete who utilizes his explosiveness to make momentum changing type plays. He excels at running and finishing in transition with his ability to both get his head on the rim and play with body control in mid-air. He has a relatively strong and quick body that also serves him well on the defensive end.

Weaknesses: Owens game is based almost entirely around his athleticism right now and he needs to develop a complimenting skill set. He isn't a consistent threat at the arc and has to at least become more confident and dependable in the mid-range area. Overall, his ability to handle, pass, and shoot the ball needs to be nurtured.

Bottom Line:His elite level athleticism gives him the ability to make momentum shifting plays at any time, and while he flourishes in the open floor right now, he projects as someone who could eventually blossom into a one or two dribble half-court slasher in the half court.

Highlight tape:

He does have a BC offer. He got one this week after the coaches saw him in person.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Garland Owens official visit to BC this weekend:
Boston College won't be hosting any Midnight Madness type activities, and instead will be jumping right into practice, but that doesn't mean this weekend will be any less important from a recruiting standpoint as Massanutten Military Academy swingman Garland Owens, a product of the Mid-Atlantic Select AAU program, will be on campus for his official visit.

ESPN Insider scouting report:
Strengths: Owens is a high level athlete who utilizes his explosiveness to make momentum changing type plays. He excels at running and finishing in transition with his ability to both get his head on the rim and play with body control in mid-air. He has a relatively strong and quick body that also serves him well on the defensive end.

Weaknesses: Owens game is based almost entirely around his athleticism right now and he needs to develop a complimenting skill set. He isn't a consistent threat at the arc and has to at least become more confident and dependable in the mid-range area. Overall, his ability to handle, pass, and shoot the ball needs to be nurtured.

Bottom Line:His elite level athleticism gives him the ability to make momentum shifting plays at any time, and while he flourishes in the open floor right now, he projects as someone who could eventually blossom into a one or two dribble half-court slasher in the half court.

Highlight tape:

He does have a BC offer. He got one this week after the coaches saw him in person.

He loved Boston and his BC visit. I know Seton Hall is also after him
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rebounding has little to with size and everything to do with smart position, effort and instincts. Some of the worst rebounders in the NBA are big guys, and the best shorter guys that can't jump over a curb.

You cite Larry Johnson, Barkley and smith as small guys? They're short yes, but each one was built like a tank. They Were all superb athletes as well. I don't understand the example. I also disagree with the point.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

You cite Larry Johnson, Barkley and smith as small guys? They're short yes, but each one was built like a tank. They Were all superb athletes as well. I don't understand the example. I also disagree with the point.

Shooting is a skill, practice improves it. Rebounding is instincts and effort. Putting 20 lbs on *** ******* doesn't turn him into Bill Russell, no matter how much athleticism and size he has. He will always be a shitty rebounder. Johnson, Barkley and Smith were great rebounders because of effort and instincts. Jared Dudley was probably the best example - he was a great rebounder despite being undersized at the 4, skinny when he got here, and stuck to the floor. Because he was instinctive and hustled.

Size doesn't hurt, it helps with positioning. Getting bigger can help a bad rebounder be a little less bad. But none of these guys, with the exception of Anderson, is going to be a good rebounder.

Shooting on the other hand, improves with every shot you take with good technique. It is a learned behavior.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Owens has offers from powerhouses like UNH, Mt St Mary's and NJIT.

This staff knows we play in the ACC, not America East right?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Owens has offers from powerhouses like UNH, Mt St Mary's and NJIT.

They aren't updated. He has since reclassified into 2013 and is getting much better looks.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm

TWB is correct on rebounding. BC didn't get beat because of strength.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Owens has offers from powerhouses like UNH, Mt St Mary's and NJIT.

They aren't updated. He has since reclassified into 2013 and is getting much better looks.

Like BCS schools?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Like BCS schools?

Lower level Big East, overall much better than America East
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Like BCS schools?

Here's a mention of interest from LSU, Miami and West Virginia back in July:

http://hoopgroup.com/player-feature/gar ... ost-stock/
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Like BCS schools?

Those offers are from Owens' 2012 ESPN page, when he was at Magruder HS in Gaithersburg, MD. By all appearances, he's doing a postgrad year at Massanutten because he thinks he can do better with an extra year to develop his game (and perhaps pick up his grades). The ESPN report says "elite level athleticism," and his video confirms this; this kid could be an important contributor if he polishes his skills, and the coaches (who get paid for evaluations of this sort) are plainly optimistic about this. By the standard you're using, BC should never have given a look to Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, or **** ********. In its present situation, this program has to look at sleepers until it builds more credibility; concentrating entirely on low-probability established blue-chip players would be futile. In Owens' case, he certainly isn't disqualified from high-major consideration because of athletic limitations; raise the skill level, and he becomes a very useful player.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Like BCS schools?

Those offers are from Owens' 2012 ESPN page, when he was at Magruder HS in Gaithersburg, MD. By all appearances, he's doing a postgrad year at Massanutten because he thinks he can do better with an extra year to develop his game (and perhaps pick up his grades). The ESPN report says "elite level athleticism," and his video confirms this; this kid could be an important contributor if he polishes his skills, and the coaches (who get paid for evaluations of this sort) are plainly optimistic about this. By the standard you're using, BC should never have given a look to Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, or **** ********. In its present situation, this program has to look at sleepers until it builds more credibility; concentrating entirely on low-probability established blue-chip players would be futile. In Owens' case, he certainly isn't disqualified from high-major consideration because of athletic limitations; raise the skill level, and he becomes a very useful player.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
Here's a mention of interest from LSU, Miami and West Virginia back in July:

http://hoopgroup.com/player-feature/gar ... ost-stock/

This article confirms what I just wrote; Owens is clearly a plausible prospect.

P.S. Sorry about the duplication on my previous post.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:18 pm

NERR reported that Hunter Myers (a BC target earlier in the year) committed to Harvard, turning down multiple Pac-12 offers. Amaker continues to build a high-major level program despite Takehomeexamgate.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Shooting is a skill, practice improves it. Rebounding is instincts and effort. Putting 20 lbs on *** ******* doesn't turn him into Bill Russell, no matter how much athleticism and size he has. He will always be a shitty rebounder. Johnson, Barkley and Smith were great rebounders because of effort and instincts. Jared Dudley was probably the best example - he was a great rebounder despite being undersized at the 4, skinny when he got here, and stuck to the floor. Because he was instinctive and hustled.

Size doesn't hurt, it helps with positioning. Getting bigger can help a bad rebounder be a little less bad. But none of these guys, with the exception of Anderson, is going to be a good rebounder.

Shooting on the other hand, improves with every shot you take with good technique. It is a learned behavior.

I'm not going to argue about this, I'm just going to wait and see. I continue to think that Clifford's obvious lack of strength combined with his height were a rebounding liability, which should be reduced, stamina was also a rebounding liability since he played 25 minutes a game a few months out of high school (that effects the effort part of your instinct and effort formula).

The hoops weirdo board is insistent on treating a basketball roster like NES Ice Hockey w/ Fat Guy/Skinny Guy/Normal Guy and white/black options.

As an aside, even if Rahon and Hanlan are good players this year and there is great improvement, I anticipate absolutely no reduction in the insistence that the only way to compete in the ACC is to recruit 5 6'8 plus mcdonalds all americans with 42+ inch verticals.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Garland Owens will decide next saturday.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Garland Owens will decide next saturday.

I hope he chooses BC he definitely fills a need. He has good athleticism and should be able to help on the boards.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:43 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:

I hope he chooses BC he definitely fills a need. He has good athleticism and should be able to help on the boards.

Watched his highlight video. He def. has the athletic tools but I question his skill level.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:

Watched his highlight video. He def. has the athletic tools but I question his skill level.

Yea, I agree...a bit suspect. I wonder if he can shoot as well as slash
Shaddix
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum