Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Please no on Alec Peters. Why are we having in home visits with kids with his list of schools?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

781 {l Wrote}:I like what i'm seeing from Djery Baptiste in this video, looks like a man child. I can't believe he just turned 16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wqO9A1W_E

I suggested above that Baptiste might be in the same class as Jeremy Smith in another year; judging from that video, he's already a lot closer than I imagined. Considering that Baptiste only arrived in the States from Port-au-Prince a little over a year ago, his development curve is amazing; if he continues at that pace, he could be almost as hot a recruiting target as Vonleh by this time next year. Donahue & Co. had better keep their elbows sharpened and prepare for recruiting mob scenes around Baptiste. The only negative consideration is that if Baptiste realizes anything like his full potential, he'll never complete his college eligibility -- but this is obviously a problem we could live with.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Please no on Alec Peters. Why are we having in home visits with kids with his list of schools?

I would prefer Reynolds or Dingba, but Peters has absolutely lit it up this summer. He can now take guys off the dribble, score at the rim, etc. I wouldn't mind him that much also considering schools like Washington State have offered him and schools like Tennessee are showing interest.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Please no on Alec Peters. Why are we having in home visits with kids with his list of schools?

Donahue is making a dead-serious run at Peters because: (1) Peters has a training-film-perfect shooting stroke, and the rest of his game has been improving markedly; (2) Donahue is clearly convinced that Peters can develop into an effective player in the ACC; (3) Peters, by all indications, really is treating his choice of college and hoop program as a quality-of-life-experience issue, and Donahue likes Peters' mindset as well as his jump shot. You, obviously, think that Donahue is delusional about (2), and you could very well be right, but I don't think it's quite that certain; as BCEaglesFan notes, Peters has been rounding out his game. The thing that nags at me about recruiting Peters is the duplication with Dragicevich. Donahue often gives the impression of regarding team balance as largely irrelevant, and this is what sometimes makes me wonder about Donahue's grasp of reality. I'm prepared to concede Donahue's right to take an apparent flyer on a player like Peters -- after all, it's his job that's on the line -- but his seemingly casual attitude toward certain elements of the game (e.g., rebounding and interior offense/defense) in building his roster really disturbs me.
I should also point out that Peters and Reynolds are not necessarily an either-or proposition; Donahue has a serious eye on Reynolds, and may make a full-scale run at him if he has a big season at Worcester Academy. Of course this raises issues about 2014, but Donahue seems to follow his own opaque logic on things of this nature.
Last edited by RedBaron67 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:01 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

Donahue is making a dead-serious run at Peters because: (1) Peters has a training-film-perfect shooting stroke, and the rest of his game has been improving markedly; (2) Donahue is clearly convinced that Peters can develop into an effective player in the ACC; (3) Peters, by all indications, really is treating his choice of college and hoop program as a quality-of-life-experience issue, and Donahue likes Peters' mindset as well as his jump shot. You, obviously, think that Donahue is delusional about (2), and you could very well be right, but I don't think it's quite that certain; as BCEaglesFan notes, Peters has been rounding out his game. The thing that nags at me about recruiting Peters is the duplication with Dragicevich. Donahue often gives the impression of regarding team balance as largely irrelevant, and this is what sometimes makes me wonder about Donahue's grasp of reality. I'm prepared to concede Donahue's right to take an apparent flyer on a player like Peters -- after all, it's his job that's on the line -- but his seemingly casual attitude toward certain elements of the game (e.g., rebounding and interior offense/defense) in building his roster really disturbs me.

I see the comparison to Drago, but what I'm concerned about is where he fits. Think about it, if Peters commits you have 3 SF's on scholarship, so who do you play more, Peters or Drago?

On Odio, I firmly believe Donahue is grooming him to be a PF. This may be wrong, but I think the fact that BC acquired Drago and possibly Peters/Jordan Swopshire over him at SF could mean they feel his fit is better at backup PF once he gets a lot stronger.

Also,l let's not forget that Dennis Clifford has apparently gotten much better at shot-blocking over the summer. If this is true, you've filled the need for protecting the rim with him. The main concern is rebounding, but Clifford has gotten much better at that as well apparently.

If you read the Don's interview w/Hoff, you see that he really cares about BC's defense and rebounding and he definitely wants it to get better.

A lot of O-rebounds for other teams against BC was b/c the guards didn't box out; Rahon and Hanlan were very good rebounders in HS, so they should really help there.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Agree.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

I see the comparison to Drago, but what I'm concerned about is where he fits. Think about it, if Peters commits you have 3 SF's on scholarship, so who do you play more, Peters or Drago?

On Odio, I firmly believe Donahue is grooming him to be a PF. This may be wrong, but I think the fact that BC acquired Drago and possibly Peters/Jordan Swopshire over him at SF could mean they feel his fit is better at backup PF once he gets a lot stronger.

Also,l let's not forget that Dennis Clifford has apparently gotten much better at shot-blocking over the summer. If this is true, you've filled the need for protecting the rim with him. The main concern is rebounding, but Clifford has gotten much better at that as well apparently.

If you read the Don's interview w/Hoff, you see that he really cares about BC's defense and rebounding and he definitely wants it to get better.

A lot of O-rebounds for other teams against BC was b/c the guards didn't box out; Rahon and Hanlan were very good rebounders in HS, so they should really help there.

On Peters and Dragicevich, you're stating explicitly what I was implying when I talked about duplication, i.e., that it will disrupt rather than facilitate player rotation in games by introducing players who naturally compete with rather than complement one another.
Backup PF seems to be the only plausible place for Odio, although I don't know if there are enough hours in the day for all the time in the weight room he's going to need.
Clifford is a greatly improved inside player, and Anderson looks better too, but such disproportionate reliance on two players up front is exactly what's bugging me. If Donahue is really serious about that part of the game, he should be recruiting appropriate players. You do make a good point about Hanlan and Rahon; as rebounders, they'll be a huge improvement over Daniels and Jackson last year (or probably this year, for that matter). Even so, rotation on the front line needs to be addressed (which is why I can imagine Donahue grabbing Reynolds as well as Peters).
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:

On Peters and Dragicevich, you're stating explicitly what I was implying when I talked about duplication, i.e., that it will disrupt rather than facilitate player rotation in games by introducing players who naturally compete with rather than complement one another.
Backup PF seems to be the only plausible place for Odio, although I don't know if there are enough hours in the day for all the time in the weight room he's going to need.
Clifford is a greatly improved inside player, and Anderson looks better too, but such disproportionate reliance on two players up front is exactly what's bugging me. If Donahue is really serious about that part of the game, he should be recruiting appropriate players. You do make a good point about Hanlan and Rahon; as rebounders, they'll be a huge improvement over Daniels and Jackson last year (or probably this year, for that matter). Even so, rotation on the front line needs to be addressed (which is why I can imagine Donahue grabbing Reynolds as well as Peters).

The only benefit I see to the Peters/Drago situation is that if one doesn't play well, you always have the other one. I could see Peters redshirting year one, that could allow him to learn as a freshman and make an impact his next 3 years.

Let's not forget that Odio is a good rebounder for his size, plus he has great athletic ability. That could allow him to simply out jump other guys for rebounds.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 pm

redshirting in college basketball almost never happens.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:22 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:redshirting in college basketball almost never happens.

Donahue did it at Cornell, so it's not out of the realm of possibility...
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby larrydoby on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 am

Didn't Alex Murphy red-shirt at Duke last year?
larrydoby
n00b

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

larrydoby {l Wrote}:Didn't Alex Murphy red-shirt at Duke last year?

Yes
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Donahue really nailed it for me on recruiting top local kids and how he will start to get more prospects:
"The thing that will set us apart is winning. You need to have a program where kids want to come and win, and I don't blame them. Right now we are recruiting kids and telling them to come help us win. Eventually when we are winning, we will tell them to come be a part of this, and help us keep this going. I think you'll see more of the local kids staying in the area and coming here when we start winning," said Donahue.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm

@BrewsterHoops

Boston College is the latest program to express serious interest in Brewster guard Ron Patterson

Undersized 2 who just joined Brewster.

Good shooter but is more of a slasher. Pretty good athlete.

Rated as a 91 on ESPN and originally committed to IU before he couldn't get past the NCAA clearinghouse.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
@BrewsterHoops

Boston College is the latest program to express serious interest in Brewster guard Ron Patterson

Rated as a 91 on ESPN and originally committed to IU before he couldn't get past the NCAA clearinghouse.

How's he getting into BC if he can't pass the NCAA clearinghouse?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Yes

Murphy was red-shirted because of injury; they actually took him a year early (he moved from 2012 to 2011 at the last moment) because they wanted him in the slot vacated by Kyle Singler.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
@BrewsterHoops

How's he getting into BC if he can't pass the NCAA clearinghouse?

It's assumed that his post-grad year at Brewster will take care of his academic resume; that's what happened with Craig Smith.

Incidentally, Patterson is a very serious prospect. According to Rivals, he had offers last year (besides Indiana) from Cincinnati, De Paul, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, and Xavier. This year, Scout reports that he's already been offered by Kansas State (=Weber, formerly of Illinois -- he's already overbooked, where does he expect to get the scholarship slot?). He's certainly a high-major prospect, but the competition is likely to be pretty tough.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Noah Vonleh reclassified to 2013... Indiana, UCLA, UNC, Ohio State seem to be schools everyone is attaching to him. I know he was on campus for a visit about a week ago so I wonder if we still have a shot?
Last edited by thebigskinny31 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:32 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:Noah Vonleh reclassified to 2013... Indiana, UCLA, UNV, Ohio State seem to be schools everyone is attaching to him. I know he was on campus for a visit about a week ago so I wonder if we still have a shot?

His coach said we are one of the schools recruiting him the hardest about a week ago
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Per multiple East Coast sources, Indiana, Ohio State and North Carolina are the three schools the strongest with him at this point after the reclass. Boston College from his adopted hometown also has been vigorously pursuing him.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:51 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Per multiple East Coast sources, Indiana, Ohio State and North Carolina are the three schools the strongest with him at this point after the reclass. Boston College from his adopted hometown also has been vigorously pursuing him.

Woo!
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Woo!

From Adam Zagoria on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 1293640704

Kansas. Louisville and BC were at New Hampton today for now 2013 F Noah Vonleh, coach Pete Hutchins told @SNYtv

Like the confirmation that BC is going after him hard. Curious what the sales pitch is...playing time, featured player, etc.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:38 pm

I think any chance BC had of getting Vonleh probably disappeared when he moved back to 2013. If he's going to college next year, he definitely wants to stay only one year, and that means he wants a program that will showcase him for the NBA, which places BC at even more of a disadvantage. This may take a little while to work itself out, but it looks like time to start thinking about recruiting plan B.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

BC has got to do whatever it takes to land Vonleh. Throw him in the starting lineup with Anderson and Clifford and for the 2013-2014 season you've just created the best frontcourt in the ACC and possibly the nation. Not to mention I think our guard play is going to be pretty strong as well. He could single-handedly take us from a likely tournament team in 2013 to a possible national champion contender.

Vonleh, think how you have the chance to transform your hometown school!
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I think any chance BC had of getting Vonleh probably disappeared when he moved back to 2013. If he's going to college next year, he definitely wants to stay only one year, and that means he wants a program that will showcase him for the NBA, which places BC at even more of a disadvantage. This may take a little while to work itself out, but it looks like time to start thinking about recruiting plan B.

Actually I've heard the opposite. Apparently the guys on EA and other people w/sources believe that his reclassification helps BC b/c it allows them more flexibility in recruiting and that BC, considering that it's one of his favorites, should make the top 5. However, you're right that the probability is low that he picks BC.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 am

@AdamZagoria
Kansas. Louisville and BC were at New Hampton today for now 2013 F Noah Vonleh, coach Pete Hutchins told @SNYtv
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 am

Well you can't say that Donahue is ASLEEP in his barcALounger
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:I think any chance BC had of getting Vonleh probably disappeared when he moved back to 2013. If he's going to college next year, he definitely wants to stay only one year, and that means he wants a program that will showcase him for the NBA, which places BC at even more of a disadvantage. This may take a little while to work itself out, but it looks like time to start thinking about recruiting plan B.

Actually I've heard the opposite. Apparently the guys on EA and other people w/sources believe that his reclassification helps BC b/c it allows them more flexibility in recruiting and that BC, considering that it's one of his favorites, should make the top 5. However, you're right that the probability is low that he picks BC.

I can see that Vonleh switching to 2013 will somewhat free up BC's recruiting situation for 2014, and that's a generally positive thing. As for BC being in Vonleh's top 5, however, I have to point out -- remembering, as I do, not only when BC was in Ewing's top 5, but even when BC was in Kareem's top 5 (long before he became Kareem) -- that there are no runner-up prizes in recruiting. It could still happen -- Donahue clearly thinks so, since they aren't letting up -- but it will be an earth-shaking reversal of form if it does. The one gleam of light is that the Kentucky juggernaut isn't part of this equation, since Calipari appears to be all in on Julius Randle.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Well you can't say that Donahue is ASLEEP in his barcALounger

Yeah, there's no doubt he's aiming high with the big boys. The real question on him will be what he lands when those big boys don't commit. He did well with Jones the first year, and I am liking what I am seeing from Rahon and Hanlon, but there are still some question marks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby larrydoby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:40 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Yes

Murphy was red-shirted because of injury; they actually took him a year early (he moved from 2012 to 2011 at the last moment) because they wanted him in the slot vacated by Kyle Singler.

Are you sure Alex Murphy was a medical redshirt?
larrydoby
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum