2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:We're really about to hire Dennis fucking Gates aren't we

casting couch works both ways

this will be another failure of a hire and will send me back into my groundhog den both for this board and for donating to the school. uninspired and destined for failure. i'll be back to eat crow if i'm wrong - i don't expect that to be a problem

I'm not terribly certain that Gates is the hire yet (despite the Tweeter buzz). That said, I actually don't have a terrible objection to it.

We have spent the past searches that resulted in the hiring of consecutive coaches who were well-liked, respected, had a long of history of running successful programs, who cared about their players and worked their way up the ranks. Don and JC were universally considered "good guys" and they were effing horrible. I view Gates as a boom/bust type of candidate who could potentially be a homerun/lightning-in-a-bottle type. Or he could suck and fail miserably. But, if he busts... it isn't any different than what we have been dealing with from his the "safe" established predecessors.

I would have preferred someone from the A10, BE or Power 5. But, outside of that, I wanted to swing for the fences. Guys like Coen, Amaker or Hewitt were the worst way to go... Gates is pretty much the polar opposite of them.

except firing him also means likely firing the award winning Jr AD - which would take longer than simply firing a coach that's way over his head a year or two in

No matter who we hire, barring FBI investigation, the contract will be cost-prohibitive regarding termination in the first 4 years. A

As for Jocelyn, I don't think it is an issue. Kraft didn't go out and hire Jocelyn to be his deputy... Jarmond did. Kraft just inherited her after she failed to lang Kraft's job. The last thing Kraft is doing is hiring Dennis as some sort of favor for a pre-existing employee. My guess is that Jocelyn will start transitioning into a role in development or to another New England AD job or has some sort of info barrier built between mens and womens sports. Her role leading womens sports should have ZERO influence one whether Dennis is hired or not.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:nepotism provides some pretty sweet job security, so i would assume the daz model at the very least

College sports has been nothing but nepotism. Keno Davis and Richard Pitino don't get jobs if they had different names. But, now... that a minority has the opportunity to better themselves through the same system... folks suddenly are feverishly defending some sort of new standard? I haven't a clue whether Gates would be decent, if I was Kraft I wouldn't come anywhere near him without a firm transition plan for Jocelyn. But, the dumbest of dumb things would be NOT to go after him solely because his wife works as an assistant for chick sports. That's like your kiosk not hiring someone because he is the husband of the Auntie Anne's manager.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:nepotism provides some pretty sweet job security, so i would assume the daz model at the very least

College sports has been nothing but nepotism. Keno Davis and Richard Pitino don't get jobs if they had different names. But, now... that a minority has the opportunity to better themselves through the same system... folks suddenly are feverishly defending some sort of new standard? I haven't a clue whether Gates would be decent, if I was Kraft I wouldn't come anywhere near him without a firm transition plan for Jocelyn. But, the dumbest of dumb things would be NOT to go after him solely because his wife works as an assistant for chick sports. That's like your kiosk not hiring someone because he is the husband of the Auntie Anne's manager.

you're right - these are all total similar scenarios and analogies. i remember rick pitino being the ad or jr ad at minnesota when his son was hired as the head basketball coach, as an example. go gophers

i'm also sure gates's name would have come up as our potential head basketball coach if his wife wasn't the big boss of the athletic department when krafty pat goes on vacation. he's here purely because of how awesome he's been at leading a team in the horizon league.

lastly, nice try, race baiter. i'd have the same complaints if kraft's totally white children were hired to head a team or department

and i'm not sure you know what "nepotism" means
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

you're right - these are all total similar scenarios and analogies. i remember rick pitino being the ad or jr ad at minnesota when his son was hired as the head basketball coach, as an example. go gophers

i'm also sure gates's name would have come up as our potential head basketball coach if his wife wasn't the big boss of the athletic department when krafty pat goes on vacation. he's here purely because of how awesome he's been at leading a team in the horizon league.

lastly, nice try, race baiter. i'd have the same complaints if kraft's totally white children were hired to head a team or department

you're right - these are all total similar scenarios and analogies. I just didn't realize Kraft was the father of Dennis Gates.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

you're right - these are all total similar scenarios and analogies. I just didn't realize Kraft was the father of Dennis Gates.

you're right, the ad was the only scenario presented. i forgot rick pitino was on the gopher staff in another position that wasn't ad which makes your analogy completely applicable
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 pm

BC wouldn't let Addazio hire Louie. He tried.

I would also disagree with HJS about Don and JC. Don was a hot name who many thought would fit at BC. JC was a random whose failure at TCU was a red flag to everyone but Brad Bates.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:49 pm

The idea we wouldn't hire the best coach available because of a nepotism technicality clearly not at play seems absurd. If Gates is the guy, figure it out. From her web bio, her role seems to be focused on women's sports:

"Gates has oversight responsibilities for several areas including human resources, strength and conditioning, compliance, and student-athlete development, and also serves as the departmental Deputy Title IX Coordinator. She has sport oversight for women’s basketball, women’s soccer, and men’s and women’s golf."

the BC policy regarding hiring / firing decisions clearly lie with the AD (not his wife), Leahy, and the BOT.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm

if you are saying gates is the best guy, i completely agree he should be hired regardless of his other family members employed at the school.

at the same time, if you are saying gates is the best guy - we are of very different opinions on the definition of "best guy."

same holds true if you are saying gates didn't only come to our attention because of a closer than close friend he has employed by the school. i will never believe that he would be on our radar if not for his better half cashing a bc check
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:BC wouldn't let Addazio hire Louie. He tried.

Who at BC nixed the idea?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if you are saying gates is the best guy, i completely agree he should be hired regardless of his other family members employed at the school.

at the same time, if you are saying gates is the best guy - we are of very different opinions on the definition of "best guy."

same holds true if you are saying gates didn't only come to our attention because of a closer than close friend he has employed by the school. i will never believe that he would be on our radar if not for his better half cashing a bc check

I have no idea if he is or isn't the best choice - I'll defer to the AD we pay handsomely and the search firm we are also paying handsomely. my point is if it is determined he is the guy we should go after, not hiring him because his wife oversees certain women's sports seems nonsensical. explicitly carve her out of any ability to weigh in on MBB and the problem seems to be solved.

that said, as compared to some of the names I've seen floated, I'd prefer Gates to probably everyone other than Eisley or Shrewsbury. taking a chance on a 41 year old who has big time CBB experience (including in the ACC!) and has turned around a doormat program (in a lesser conference, but still) is what we should be doing. hiring the St Bonnie coach or the UVM coach or any other 55+ year old re-tread is a good way to keep the program on the current trajectory.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 pm

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:... I'll defer to the AD we pay handsomely and the search firm we are also paying handsomely. ...

you lost me at this point and i will stop this line of conversation with you because this inherently says you agreed with the beeker and jimmy mac hires
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 25GeraldRd on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:07 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i will never believe that he would be on our radar if not for his better half cashing a bc check

is this satire? he was the lead assistant for one of the better programs in our conference, turned around an afterthought program in 2 seasons (they are in THIS year's NCAA tournament), might get offered the Penn State and Minnesota jobs, and is by all accounts (tweets of prominent national CBB writers copied below) one of the hottest names of this coaching cycle. pretty sure Kraft could have uncovered him even without his wife overseeing the women's golf team.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1369466809376792582?s=20

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1369467172473438209?s=20

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1369466964134014976?s=20
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if you are saying gates is the best guy, i completely agree he should be hired regardless of his other family members employed at the school.

Point #1 is all I was saying earlier today. If you think Gates is the best, then it shouldn't matter that his wife negotiates hotel blocks when women's golf plays at Washington Duke.
Point #2, I'm only generally in agreement with because (outside of Pearl and Coach4Life) no one has ever been able to explain who qualifies for any definition of "best guy".
Point #3 is just wrong. Gates has been routinely mentioned for Power 5 jobs and is more Hafley-like than perhaps any other candidate. Further, Jocelyn's role within the athletic department has never seen such glorious importance than it has in the minds of 6 posters in this thread (and only with the dawning of her husband's candidacy). If Mrs. Gates left tomorrow for a comparable position at Northeastern, no one on this board would notice (not even IB or his cavernous Amazon fish).

I will point out that, while Eisley is universally supported on this board (including me), he is much less the "best guy" for any job. He isn't mentioned for PSU or Minnesota and when Dennis Gates leaves he likely won't be considered for a Cleveland Steamer. If Eisley spent the last 2 seasons rehabbing a moribund Cleveland State program, there would be no question as to who we should hire (and it wouldn't be a never-been-head coach from a top program despite his wife being the most important employee of the University).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Gates is a candidate for the other openings and potential openings at our level and Eisley is not. Whether or not you think Eisley is a better option, it’s obviously not the opinion of the market.

I don’t really know who we could hire that would get me excited or inspire confidence, but he did a great job at FSU and took over a roster with 3 players on it at CSU. He’s untested, but as many have pointed out, there’s really no lower that we can go
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 pm

This is depressing. Spin begins.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Unlike JC who I knew was a disaster from Day 1, I’m definitely willing to give Gates a chance. FSU has always had awesome talent and at least he’s winning as a HC.

I’d way prefer an established HC from the Big East, etc. but my guess is they all said no. If Gates got the right facilities and institutional support I bet he’s successful (getting us back to the NCAAs).

How are the candidates Hafley and Gates any different?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unlike JC who I knew was a disaster from Day 1, I’m definitely willing to give Gates a chance. FSU has always had awesome talent and at least he’s winning as a HC.

I’d way prefer an established HC from the Big East, etc. but my guess is they all said no. If Gates got the right facilities and institutional support I bet he’s successful (getting us back to the NCAAs).

It won't be Gates.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 pm

LOL at the Leonard Hamilton coaching tree.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:31 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Unlike JC who I knew was a disaster from Day 1, I’m definitely willing to give Gates a chance. FSU has always had awesome talent and at least he’s winning as a HC.

It won't be Gates.

Who is left who gives you info?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

It won't be Gates.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

It won't be Gates.

:whammy
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 am

I think the comments section for a BC coaching search which is prioritizing the hiring of a minority would be internet gold. ATL is robbing us all of solid entertainment by preventing the oxygen tank contingent from expressing their views. Big shocker that someone from Deep Blue Georgia would be all-in on censorship and against the Constitution.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:46 am

I will say again, we all pretty much knew Hafley was probably going to be a home run from Day 1. The reaction to hiring Gates being "I'm willing to give him a chance. Maybe he'll pan out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" Does not inspire confidence.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am

each program is in a completely different spot
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:23 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I will say again, we all pretty much knew Hafley was probably going to be a home run from Day 1. The reaction to hiring Gates being "I'm willing to give him a chance. Maybe he'll pan out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" Does not inspire confidence.

He went 6-6.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I will say again, we all pretty much knew Hafley was probably going to be a home run from Day 1. The reaction to hiring Gates being "I'm willing to give him a chance. Maybe he'll pan out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" Does not inspire confidence.

He went 6-6.

We knew that Murt? What is this "we?" I don't know it. I hope it, but I don't know it.

According to the marine, 6-5 is a homerun. I think it is more a "single" and Hafley is still on base. Lets see if he can cross the plate before the inning (inning = his tenure at BC) ends.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:42 am

i, for one, understand shitting on the basketball program. hell, calling it a program is an insult to the word "program"

people that feel it's necessary to shit on hafley for his "only 6-6" year against more conference teams than any coach has every played seems a bit wah wah.

so, nospacebutplentyofcondescention, i am a part of "we"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:02 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:09 am

I appreciate that we’re finally receiving our side of the trade after 30+ years

https://thestacks.deadspin.com/the-fall ... 1553579005
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

He went 6-6.

We knew that Murt? What is this "we?" I don't know it. I hope it, but I don't know it.

According to the marine, 6-5 is a homerun. I think it is more a "single" and Hafley is still on base. Lets see if he can cross the plate before the inning (inning = his tenure at BC) ends.

Yeah you're right IB. This season had the look and feel of every of Daz's 1-win-above-.500 season for the last 7 years. Fucking idiot.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum